The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 4 October 2017, 06:07 AM   #1
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

IWC Dirty Dozen

My good friend has a bit of a collection and amongst them is one of these. Never taken much interest in these watches. Anyone know if this looks original? I'm questioning whether the hands are original. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_189.jpg (164.8 KB, 263 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_907567.jpg (118.0 KB, 259 views)
Old 4 October 2017, 06:38 AM   #2
nick c
Banned

Here some pics of original Iwc dirty Dozen. Your friend watch the hands don’t look like original, you need to check the movement and the case also IMG_6057.JPGIMG_6058.JPGIMG_6059.JPGIMG_6060.JPGIMG_6061.JPGIMG_6062.JPGIMG_6063.JPGIMG_6064.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2017, 06:56 AM   #3
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Thanks Nick. I think hands are from one of the other 11 makes (Gevril). I'll have a look at movement.
Old 4 October 2017, 07:11 AM   #4
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
Thanks Nick. I think hands are from one of the other 11 makes (Gevril). I'll have a look at movement.
Good luck my friend
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2017, 12:29 AM   #5
neilp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
I do not claim to be an expert by any means, but I do own a few of these WWW watches.

There were no WWW "Dirty Dozen" watches made by Gervil. The manufacturers were: Buren, Cyma, Timor, Vertex, JLC, Record, Omega, IWC, Grana, Eterna, Longines and Lemania.

These were commissioned by the British Ministry of Defense, who then maintained them. In doing so often they often swapped parts from one manufacturer to another, hands especially seem to have suffered this fate.

From what I see this watch has a replacement "MoD" dial - there is no "train track" around the sub-seconds; the 5 and 7 are complete rather than cut off by the sub-second dial; the 9 is open, and the 4 has a flat top. I'd guess the hands are also replacements or perhaps from a Vertex version.

As to what you would call original with these watches that is up for debate in my opinion. "As left the manufacturer" - this watch is probably not. "As used by the military" - this watch could well qualify.

I have an Omega WWW fitted with a replacement MoD dial that I am quite happy with and I think it retains a charm of its own although not factory-original.
neilp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dirty dozen , iwc , ww2