The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 17 March 2010, 01:48 PM   #61
gparham
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18k Datejust
Definitely one of my favorites. Classy and understated.
Old 17 March 2010, 02:11 PM   #62
gelshocker

Nice watch, I like the white ExpII. However I prefer the 'non-diver dial configuration' version, the 1655. The current one is basically a GMT without the iconic Rolex rotating bezel, which is why it's not that popular on the market.

The AD show windows are always filled with ExpIIs, the grey market even more. I hope the Basel 2010 Explorer will show more individual character. Cheers,
Old 17 March 2010, 02:30 PM   #63
Warnsboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelshocker View Post
Nice watch, I like the white ExpII. However I prefer the 'non-diver dial configuration' version, the 1655. The current one is basically a GMT without the iconic Rolex rotating bezel, which is why it's not that popular on the market.

The AD show windows are always filled with ExpIIs, the grey market even more. I hope the Basel 2010 Explorer will show more individual character. Cheers,
For some unknown reasoning, Rolex decided 30+ years ago to take the ExpII to the Sub-GMT-Deep Sea style dial with round hour markers that makes the Exp II look like what was selling well at the time. I believe the Steve McQeen dial from the early 70's is what the Exp II should look like and hope that their designers are seeing the beauty, demand and prices that this short lived model has generated over the last 20 years. It would be a great turn-back that could revive the model.
Old 17 March 2010, 02:31 PM   #64
dwr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust
I see a lot of ladies wearing the small ym, it is a good looking watch!!
Old 17 March 2010, 07:53 PM   #65
Black Bay Dan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14060man View Post
Actually, no he didn't. No one has been able to cough up a single photo confirming the urban legend that McQueen wore a 1655. He did wear a 5512 Sub though from 1970-1980.
Sorry - I was being ironic

Dan
Old 17 March 2010, 09:35 PM   #66
davestan
"TRF" Member

The "Criticism" of the Explorer II has been overemphasised and overreacted to! Its almost in the myth category. People comment on its supposed unpopularity but then no one really justifies this!
Its a great watch albeit with some design crossover, but has a strong identity and history in its own right! Wear it well!!!
Old 17 March 2010, 09:40 PM   #67
Colnago
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rlx=3, Tdr=3, Om=3
I love mine too....

Here's a wrist shot a couple of days ago......offshore on BP Central Azeri Production Platform....Caspian Sea....off Baku, Azerbaijan........not really "Exploring" but on another "interesting" voyage....notice 24 hour hand set to UK time.......we are 4 hours ahead here....these watches fit in anywhere....really....anywhere...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ExpII CentAz Wrist.jpg (74.0 KB, 213 views)
Old 17 March 2010, 11:07 PM   #68
Warnsboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Here's a wrist shot a couple of days ago......offshore on BP Central Azeri Production Platform....Caspian Sea....off Baku, Azerbaijan........not really "Exploring" but on another "interesting" voyage....notice 24 hour hand set to UK time.......we are 4 hours ahead here....these watches fit in anywhere....really....anywhere...
Great Pic Bill!
Old 17 March 2010, 11:10 PM   #69
Colnago
"TRF" Member

Thanks Michael....stuck off here on a survey.....nightmare...high winds..no boats allowed in and no choppers available.....stuck 'til at least Friday and I am all finished!!!!....if you know anything about offshore drilling you can just about see in through the Vee Door to all the racked up drill pipe.....
Old 17 March 2010, 11:20 PM   #70
AstroBoy
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT-Tona/EXII/Tudor
That's it! I decided! Thanks Bill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colnago View Post
Bill, Thank you so much for the picture of your Exp-II. I want it so bad last year but hung up on the dials. I've been looked at hundreds of Epx-II pictures and tried them on both at my AD but still can't decide! But, now the debate is overed, and Black dail won! I'm holding my breath on the update of it from the Basel world, if they (Rolex ) messed up, then I will go with the current model (with black dail, of course! ).

Thannks again.

Thai.

"Life Is Not A Problem To Be Solved But A Reality To Be Experienced"

"JJ - Your smile takes all my troubles away!"
Old 17 March 2010, 11:34 PM   #71
Colnago
"TRF" Member

Hey Thai....no problem......I've had mine for maybe 6 months now, but for most of that it was away at Bexley (UK RSC) getting the once over......I have worn it almost continuously since getting it back....a truly brilliant totally versatile watch
Old 17 March 2010, 11:41 PM   #72
AstroBoy
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT-Tona/EXII/Tudor
Bill,

You wear most of your watch on the "Right" hand? or just for the Exp-II?

"Life Is Not A Problem To Be Solved But A Reality To Be Experienced"

"JJ - Your smile takes all my troubles away!"
Old 18 March 2010, 01:32 AM   #73
jchampton

Watch: 116519 WG Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroBoy View Post
Can't disagree with you here. EXP-II will be my next watch too. the hard part will be choosing black or white dail!
I have the same problem. LOVE the Expy II, and it will definitely be my next watch, but can't decide on the dial. Leaning toward the polar because it's just so 'pure' looking and you don't see the white faced sports Rollies very often (I've never actually seen one on anyone's wrist in the flesh) but every time I pass the black one in a window I have second thoughts.

What to do? What to do? Oh well, looks like I'll just have to get both and then move into a cardboard box.
Old 18 March 2010, 01:50 AM   #74
Colnago
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroBoy View Post
Bill,

You wear most of your watch on the "Right" hand? or just for the Exp-II?
Always wear on the right....long story.....my brother and all my sons do it.....comes from my Dad.....my brother and I copied him thinking it was right.....my sons copied me......then would you believe it my Dad switched back!
Old 18 March 2010, 04:21 PM   #75
journey
"TRF" Member

I like this watch, where can I get it? thanks
Old 18 March 2010, 04:29 PM   #76
Sex
Banned

And you can change the color of the face and so have a new watch.
Old 18 March 2010, 04:32 PM   #77
Sex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchampton View Post
I have the same problem. LOVE the Expy II, and it will definitely be my next watch, but can't decide on the dial. Leaning toward the polar because it's just so 'pure' looking and you don't see the white faced sports Rollies very often (I've never actually seen one on anyone's wrist in the flesh) but every time I pass the black one in a window I have second thoughts.

What to do? What to do? Oh well, looks like I'll just have to get both and then move into a cardboard box.
I have tried both in a shop and the white dial looks empty, larger.

But yesterday in a window shop I was both and the white looked better than on the wrist.

So buy the black and change the dial if you want some change after some time.
Old 18 March 2010, 04:51 PM   #78
Colnago
"TRF" Member

Still stuck offshore....

filling in my time doing some extra surveys.......there are a couple of choppers today (they use them eventually here after a few boats have been cancelled) to do crew changes for guys who have been here for over their 28 days.....I am not important enough to get a seat so I have to sit tight 'til the next boat coms out......managed to sneak a couple of macros of my Explorer II in the Mud Pit Room......surveying problems with some knife gate valves......nightmare...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ExpII CentAz Wrist Pit Room 1.jpg (91.4 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg ExpII CentAz Wrist Pit Room 2.jpg (95.3 KB, 172 views)
Old 18 March 2010, 04:57 PM   #79
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Nice pix Bill.

You might have had better luck with the chopper if you were wearing a gmt.

Old 18 March 2010, 05:00 PM   #80
Colnago
"TRF" Member

Ha ha....cheers Eddie.....you've got to be kidding...I am just an Engineer....when they get us out here we are bottom of the pecking order.....unless we recently designed a great job for them.....honestly though, these guys do 28 days straight, 12 hour shift minimum every one of those days......no bar or anything like that....just some TV and maybe pool (8 ball I mean not swimming) if they are lucky....sometimes (like now) I get stuck for a week when it should have only been three days (two nights).......I don't mind the other lads getting off instead of me.....28 days would drive most folk mad.....

Oh...and by the way....Thommo (you know who you are) if you are reading this....YES...I did have a permit for the camera, and a gas detector...all above board
Old 18 March 2010, 05:16 PM   #81
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
Originally Posted by ral View Post
Maybe this thread should be merged with the long running Explorer Enigma thread. Keeping that thread alive is best homage I can of for the Explorer II. It has been running since May 20, 2008. Maybe the longest running thread on this forum?
This Exp II thread has been running even longer (since 7th July 2007) ...

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=19204

Cheers
Old 19 March 2010, 01:41 AM   #82
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
I agree with every point. I would add that the fixed bezel is tougher than the other versions, and therefore, a purer sport model.

I've had or have a GMT, Sub ND, TOG, and DJ's, but I bought two black face Exp II's for kids in the service. Super watch.
Old 19 March 2010, 01:47 AM   #83
bamseladin
Banned

Watch: Rolex
nice watch! i like it a lot. good look whit your new rolex. thanks Patrick!
Old 27 September 2017, 02:38 PM   #84
Seattlerf
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air King Dan View Post
Didn't Steve McQueen used to wear one of these ;-)

Dan
Hahahaha! I’m guessing McQueen had every rolex imaginable, and would go through so many what if’s, only to leave with his trusty sub....every time!
Closed Thread