The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 December 2023, 06:38 AM   #1
KateB
"TRF" Member

Watch: AK14000 & GMT16710
Iron-Blooded Daytona

Dear TRF, I hope everyone is well and enjoying the holiday season. It has been a long while since my last post and I hope to tap into the vast knowledge base of the mighty TRF community. I have locked eyes with the old Meteorite Daytona for quite a while. I know it is a quite irresponsible purchase for me, but I have seen the price of this reference keep dropping and is nearing the level that I can afford. I tried to learn more about this reference but there are very few posts about it.

Please allow me to share a little back story about why I feel so passionate about this meteorite Daytona. I used to have a 16710 GMTII that I am still deeply in love with. I, however, sold it when I fell in some very difficult time during the pandemic. I was laid off and lost my only income in late 2020. Some may call me stupid, but I did not try to look for any handouts. I kept current with my mortgage and student loans even though I was qualified for the forbearance programs. I designed some watch theme jewelry to sell online, but they were not selling. I was able to find a very low paying gig that read stories online to children that were stuck at home. I did Uber Eats delivery for a few weeks using only my bicycle, but it was too unpredictable, and I could not take care of my parents. I tried to hold off from claiming unemployment benefits as that would probably my last live line. It was a very humbling experience. When my severance pay was approaching the end and out of panic, I sold all my possessions that had some value one by one, including my beloved 16710. I kept on dreaming about getting back a real job when the pandemic is over and I made a promise to myself that I will get back a watch for myself. Thank God my prayers were answered in 2021. I was able to find a contract job although I had to endure the daily harassment from another creepy contractor. It was hard but I kept on rolling with the punches and made it out alive when I got another assignment. It is no doubt a very humiliating experience, but it let me keep my condo and my life savings and retirement and I am very grateful I did not fall in debt or be a burden to my loved ones.

The reason I am so fixated on the Meteorite Daytona was because of a client who also is a watch enthusiast. He invited me to a Zoom get together with his fellow collectors and there was a discussion about the reintroduced Meteorite in modern Rolex and how some of them prefer the “Iron-Blooded” Daytona. That was the first time I heard about the Iron-Blooded Daytona and got curious; he showed the group his meteorite collections – the old Meteorite Daytona is so beautiful. It turned into the group sharing their unyielding life stories. I couldn’t hold back my emotions when I shared my pandemic experiences and how much I want to get back my 16710. That was the first time I opened up to anyone about my experience, not even my family. Interestingly, they all think I should move on with the 16710 and find another watch to commemorate my own story. I have improved my financial situation quite a bit and I now want to make this watch my goal.

Sooo sorry for being long wind… I got too carried away with all the flashbacks… Please share your knowledge and your opinion about this Meteorite Daytona.

Thank you TRF for hearing my story and your generosity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 61984b.jpg (117.2 KB, 1938 views)
KateB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2023, 10:20 AM   #2
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I like it. The red hands are stunning.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2023, 10:29 AM   #3
NoCokeNoHope
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Deepsea
Hello Kate. Not sure if you remember me. After reading your story, I must say I truely admire your perseverance getting yourself out of the woods. As for the Meteorite Dial Daytona, never heard of the iron blood nickname. It sounds like some it is originated from some Asian language, perhaps some other member will chime in. Indeed a truly beautiful watch.
NoCokeNoHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2023, 10:32 AM   #4
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Great story and congratulations! The meteorite isn't really special for me as I think of it as a bit gimmicky. If that's the watch you truly love then by all means go for it. But reading your story makes me think you'd best be reunited with the 16710. That one is truly special.
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2023, 11:01 AM   #5
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Great to see you have turned things around from what sounds like an awful position. Sounds like you still have the love for the 16710 so maybe that’s something you should revisit again
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2023, 12:03 PM   #6
KateB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCokeNoHope View Post
Hello Kate. Not sure if you remember me. After reading your story, I must say I truely admire your perseverance getting yourself out of the woods. As for the Meteorite Dial Daytona, never heard of the iron blood nickname. It sounds like some it is originated from some Asian language, perhaps some other member will chime in. Indeed a truly beautiful watch.
Of course I remember you . I am so sorry I couldn't keep the 16710 You gave me a huge break with that watch and I don't think I would ever come across any seller as kind as you again. I feel so ashamed for being so stupid.
Old 8 December 2023, 12:21 PM   #7
KateB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipereaper30 View Post
Great story and congratulations! The meteorite isn't really special for me as I think of it as a bit gimmicky. If that's the watch you truly love then by all means go for it. But reading your story makes me think you'd best be reunited with the 16710. That one is truly special.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996marty View Post
Great to see you have turned things around from what sounds like an awful position. Sounds like you still have the love for the 16710 so maybe that’s something you should revisit again
It's true that I am still deeply in love with the 16710. It was the one. I tried to look for another to replace the one that I sold. However, each time I tried it on, it stings me more.
Old 8 December 2023, 12:45 PM   #8
Joearch
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
Hello KateB, great read. I much enjoyed your story. Being a fairly avid collector over the last 20 years put me into a spot to learn and explore watches. I share your enthusiasm for the early model meteorite Daytona’s. I am not sure about the meaning of the iron blooded dials, but I can tell you that there is from my point of view, more character in the older meteorite dials. After looking for many years, I recently acquired what I believe is a really nice example and it’s turned out to be an absolute favorite. The meteorite dial somehow fits the Daytona with white gold and red hands perfectly. Interestingly a 16710 GMT was one of the watches that I was not wearing that was sold to partially fund the Daytona. Take your time and find a well-maintained, full set. Example that you will enjoy for many many years to come. It took me almost 12 months to find mine and I absolutely love it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0834.jpeg (151.1 KB, 1538 views)
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2023, 12:53 PM   #9
steveclr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660
I can understand being fixated on that watch. I am in a similar situation (severance package, etc) and also have a watch in mind that was affordable before the pandemic. That Daytona is beautiful. Congrats!
steveclr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2023, 12:54 PM   #10
mrlube1151001
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41 TT sub
Hello Kate Things do go wrong sometimes in life and we are forced to forego things we love.it is part of life.All it matters now is you are out of the woods.keep searching and you will get one you loved.Best of luck.
mrlube1151001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2023, 03:56 PM   #11
Michael1968
Banned

Watch: UN,RolexTudor&more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
I like it. The red hands are stunning.
Me too +1
Michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2023, 08:38 PM   #12
Driver8
"TRF" Member

I have to say, I do like those older steel bezel Daytonas on leather. It's a great look.

Thanks for sharing your story OP, and I'm glad things turned around for you.
Old 8 December 2023, 11:01 PM   #13
Joearch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
I have to say, I do like those older steel bezel Daytonas on leather. It's a great look.

Actually white gold which adds a nice touch.
Old 8 December 2023, 11:48 PM   #14
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Great read Kate. I’m truly happy to hear you preserved through difficult times and have landed squarely on your feet.

I don’t know much about the Daytona you’re considering. I’d echo what I read above and consider adding back the 16710. That’s such a classic beauty
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2023, 12:02 AM   #15
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Nice story. And the red hands really pop!
Old 9 December 2023, 01:49 AM   #16
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joearch View Post
Actually white gold which adds a nice touch.
A very good point.

I meant as opposed to the ceramic bezel, but you're absolutely correct.
Old 9 December 2023, 03:30 AM   #17
NoCokeNoHope
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Deepsea
Quote:
Originally Posted by KateB View Post
Of course I remember you . I am so sorry I couldn't keep the 16710 You gave me a huge break with that watch and I don't think I would ever come across any seller as kind as you again. I feel so ashamed for being so stupid.

You got it all wrong Kate. You bought the watch fair and square. You owe me no obligation to keep it. Plus, I think you made the right decision selling it when you have other far more important priorities. Things can be replaced.
I may go against the grain here and vote for the Meteorite Daytona. I went back rereading your watch journey and I understand once you set your goal, you will keep going at it. Yet I want to give you my 2 cents, PM Daytona especially the special dials are very quirky pieces. They are not as easy to sell as the SS Rolex. So you need to make sure this is something you can park your money in for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NoCokeNoHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2023, 04:28 AM   #18
KateB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hello KateB, great read. I much enjoyed your story. Being a fairly avid collector over the last 20 years put me into a spot to learn and explore watches. I share your enthusiasm for the early model meteorite Daytona’s. I am not sure about the meaning of the iron blooded dials, but I can tell you that there is from my point of view, more character in the older meteorite dials. After looking for many years, I recently acquired what I believe is a really nice example and it’s turned out to be an absolute favorite. The meteorite dial somehow fits the Daytona with white gold and red hands perfectly. Interestingly a 16710 GMT was one of the watches that I was not wearing that was sold to partially fund the Daytona. Take your time and find a well-maintained, full set. Example that you will enjoy for many many years to come. It took me almost 12 months to find mine and I absolutely love it.
Your Meteorite Daytona is so beautiful! I would love to learn more about this reference from you if you don't mind. I have read that the Meteorite Dials are prone to rusting. Have you came across any examples like that during your search?
Old 9 December 2023, 04:31 AM   #19
KateB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveclr View Post
I can understand being fixated on that watch. I am in a similar situation (severance package, etc) and also have a watch in mind that was affordable before the pandemic. That Daytona is beautiful. Congrats!
Thank you so much for your kind words. I haven't got the watch yet but it is my goal. I am so sorry about your situation :(. It really sucks, especially when it came out of no where. Best wishes to you.
Old 9 December 2023, 04:38 AM   #20
KateB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlube1151001 View Post
Hello Kate Things do go wrong sometimes in life and we are forced to forego things we love.it is part of life.All it matters now is you are out of the woods.keep searching and you will get one you loved.Best of luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Great read Kate. I’m truly happy to hear you preserved through difficult times and have landed squarely on your feet.

I don’t know much about the Daytona you’re considering. I’d echo what I read above and consider adding back the 16710. That’s such a classic beauty
Quote:
Originally Posted by NachoNeal View Post
Nice story. And the red hands really pop!
Thank you so much for your kind support. I really thought I would crack. I was so lucky to find a way out.
Old 9 December 2023, 05:12 AM   #21
KateB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCokeNoHope View Post
You got it all wrong Kate. You bought the watch fair and square. You owe me no obligation to keep it. Plus, I think you made the right decision selling it when you have other far more important priorities. Things can be replaced.
I may go against the grain here and vote for the Meteorite Daytona. I went back rereading your watch journey and I understand once you set your goal, you will keep going at it. Yet I want to give you my 2 cents, PM Daytona especially the special dials are very quirky pieces. They are not as easy to sell as the SS Rolex. So you need to make sure this is something you can park your money in for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you so much for your kind words and advise as always. The 16710 was the first watch I got for myself. As much as I am still so in love with it, a replacement only reminds me of the first one and pained me so much. I made a big financial mistake pre pandemic. I was so focused on paying down my student loan and buying a condo, I pushed everything I can into my 401k and only keep enough each month for my necessities. I literally had no cash on hand when I got laid off. Instead of finding another source of income right away, I wasted so much time when I was still covered by severance pay trying to brush up my resume and looking for job. I'd never want to be in the same situation again. I am now focusing on building up at least a year of rainy day funds before I will consider buying a watch. :( In the meantime, I hope to learn as much as I can from this wonderful community!
Old 9 December 2023, 05:54 AM   #22
baythan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust
The hands looks good, it is beautiful and that was a nice story.
baythan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2023, 12:32 PM   #23
Joearch

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateB View Post
Your Meteorite Daytona is so beautiful! I would love to learn more about this reference from you if you don't mind. I have read that the Meteorite Dials are prone to rusting. Have you came across any examples like that during your search?
I am not aware of a Rolex meteorite dial rusting. The meteorite is partially composed of nickel and iron, that in some instances iron would oxidize in the form of rust. I believe Rolex treats them to prevent that from occurring. Rolex sources the dial from the Gibeon Meteor that was found in the 1800’s in Africa I believe. They are not allowed to use that source anymore, making the meteorite dial more rare. I think the dial looks wonderful with the red hands, white gold and a black leather strap. Seems like a decent value as it was not a lot more than the cost of a SS panda Daytona.
Old 9 December 2023, 02:07 PM   #24
aczaja10
"TRF" Member

What an inspiring story Kate. Thank you for sharing. The watch you have your eyes on is beautiful. I would take my time if I were you and find a great example that has been treated kindly. It’s a stunning reference.
aczaja10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2023, 06:05 AM   #25
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
Sounds like you did what you needed to do to get thru the hard times. I love collecting watches but if needed, I would sell. Regarding the Daytona, I don’t know much about this reference but I do have 116500 white dial. The Daytona is a great watch in any configuration.
MichelleP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2023, 06:11 AM   #26
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Having been through similar this year, I say go for it. If that’s the one that’s kept you focused it will have even more meaning when you get it.
Old 10 December 2023, 02:24 PM   #27
KateB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I am not aware of a Rolex meteorite dial rusting. The meteorite is partially composed of nickel and iron, that in some instances iron would oxidize in the form of rust. I believe Rolex treats them to prevent that from occurring. Rolex sources the dial from the Gibeon Meteor that was found in the 1800’s in Africa I believe. They are not allowed to use that source anymore, making the meteorite dial more rare. I think the dial looks wonderful with the red hands, white gold and a black leather strap. Seems like a decent value as it was not a lot more than the cost of a SS panda Daytona.
Thank you so much for sharing the valuable information! Please teach me more. I wonder if there is any variation of the vintage Meteorite Daytona that affect the price? I understand that each meteorite dial is unique, but the asking prices on eBay and Chrono24 varies by a very wide range (from high 20K to 70K) for the same reference and both with Box and Papers. I tried to look for more details but those listings don't really say much. The lowest I have seen is from Japan, asking price is lower than the steel Daytona. The only notable difference I can see is some examples come with all black hour and minute hands and some has lumed hands.
Old 10 December 2023, 02:49 PM   #28
KateB
"TRF" Member

Deleted.

Last edited by KateB; 10 December 2023 at 02:53 PM.. Reason: Misquoted
Old 10 December 2023, 02:53 PM   #29
KateB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aczaja10 View Post
What an inspiring story Kate. Thank you for sharing. The watch you have your eyes on is beautiful. I would take my time if I were you and find a great example that has been treated kindly. It’s a stunning reference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleP View Post
Sounds like you did what you needed to do to get thru the hard times. I love collecting watches but if needed, I would sell. Regarding the Daytona, I don’t know much about this reference but I do have 116500 white dial. The Daytona is a great watch in any configuration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
Having been through similar this year, I say go for it. If that’s the one that’s kept you focused it will have even more meaning when you get it.
Thank you all so much for your kind words. I am keeping this as my goal.

and Sir Rootbeer7, I understand how depressing and traumatizing it can be even when it is over. I sincerely wish that you all the best.
Old 10 December 2023, 03:07 PM   #30
Mr. Superlative
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
Go for it. Each time you look at it, it’ll be a life long reminder of the perseverance you have endured to own it. Good luck with your onward journey. Thanks for sharing your story.
Mr. Superlative is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
daytona , meteorite daytona