The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 February 2018, 09:20 AM   #91
jps3b
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
This is the 64-thousand dollar question. I'd say the new movement is a given within the next few years. Rolex has the movement to incorporate, and the current movement is both outdated on paper and superseded by the competition. The question is, will the new movement be accompanied by a modified case design, or will it be incorporated into the existing design? You raise a good argument: history suggests the company likes the Sub designs to go on for decades. The current design is only now just ten years old, and is still selling very well, which gives them motivation to keep it. The GMT is only slightly older, at 13 years. On the other hand, every model to receive the 32xx movement so far has been a redesign, not an existing design. This suggests Rolex might be looking to have a whole new portfolio of models with the new movement. It's hard to read the tea leaves on this one.

I’m just honored that you quoted my post. I see you are a very respected member of this forum. Thank you for the insight
jps3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 09:30 AM   #92
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by jps3b View Post
I’m just honored that you quoted my post. I see you are a very respected member of this forum. Thank you for the insight
You know he's not really Frank Sinatra, right?
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 09:36 AM   #93
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
You know he's not really Frank Sinatra, right?
Says who?
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 09:37 AM   #94
Portland
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanofsteel View Post

Also, many people who have only recently become Rolex fans did not "grow up" with the 5-digit Sub models, so there was no time for them to grow fond of the design. Many of the younger-generation Rolex consumers are mainly familiar & thus attached to the latest design. It's my guess that these folks comprise the majority of the market (& certainly the future market) for Subs, and will continue to identify Subs with those larger, square-jawed lugs.

I'm part of the newer generation of Rolex fans who prefers the current, more chunky/masculine design - at least on the Sub.

This is a really good point. I fall under the same umbrella. For me, the maxi case 6 digit is the sub of my generation. I guess it’s kinda like your favorite “James Bond” will vary depending on your generation.

It also doesn’t help that I’m a sentimental son of a gun. I bought my 116610LN brand new to commemorate a major milestone which makes it that much more special to me. What I don’t get is the hate. So it’s not your cup of tea, cool. There are plenty of other divers out there (not excluding the Rolex lineup) to chose from.
Portland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 09:46 AM   #95
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portland View Post
For me, the maxi case 6 digit is the sub of my generation. I guess it’s kinda like your favorite “James Bond” will vary depending on your generation.
It may be sacrilege, but I'll stick my neck out and say Connery's Bond has aged better than the look of the ill-fitting NATO strap he wore in Goldfinger.

Old 19 February 2018, 09:56 AM   #96
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsanders1985 View Post
I’d buy one right away if they Increased size to 41mm and reduced lug size for better proportions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The problem is even if they did increase the advertised size to 41mm the watch likely wouldn’t actually be 41mm. For evidence see the:

Datejust 41 which is actually 39.xx mm
Daytona advertised as 40 which is 38.xx mm
Day Date 40 which is 39.xx mm

Etc.
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 09:58 AM   #97
Speedsleev
"TRF" Member

I currently have a New Daytona Ceramic, LV Hulk, Non Date Sub C and an Explorer ll Polar white. They all wear so different but I would say the subs are my preference and the thick lugs give the watch presence. The Daytona wears smaller for sure and the Explorer ll always feel good, thinner bigger and smooth transitions. Going back and putting on a 5 digit feels like an old toy watch compared to the new models, no disrespect to 5 digit lovers. I have a 6.5" wrist so the steel Rolex models fit like a glove.

I'm now looking to explore a new Sky Dweller and may flip the new Daytona for one, any thoughts or opinions?

Cheers,
Rob
Speedsleev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 10:54 AM   #98
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ra_88 View Post
Prefer 5 digit dimensions too. I’m in the minority. Lol
Not quite a minority
Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 10:56 AM   #99
bradyb
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
I have to be the first to ask the question that's on everyone's mind about any new Rolex design, which is.........

"Is it safe?"
bradyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 11:05 AM   #100
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
You could argue that DJ2 to DJ41 was an admission by Rolex that the chunkier case proportions were a mistake.

Rolex could easily have stuck the new movement in the DJ2 case, but they didn’t. They designed a whole new smaller case with different proportions.

And I’d bet the DJ2 was the best selling Rolex during its time in production

Quote:
This is the 64-thousand dollar question. I'd say the new movement is a given within the next few years. Rolex has the 32xx to incorporate, and the 31xx is both outdated on paper and superseded by the competition. It makes no sense they'd go to the trouble of developing an entirely new movement but not use it in their most popular models. The question is, will the new movement be accompanied by modified case designs in the sports models, or will it be incorporated into the existing designs? You raise a good argument: history suggests the company likes the Sub designs to go on for decades. The current design is only now just ten years old, and is still selling very well, which gives them motivation to keep it. The GMT is only slightly older, at 13 years. On the other hand, every model to receive the 32xx movement so far has been a redesign, not an existing design. This suggests Rolex might be looking to have a whole new portfolio of models with the new movement. It's hard to read the tea leaves on this one.
It SEEMS at least, they’re moving to, at minimum, slightly slimmer lugs....but you’re right, hard to read this one
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 11:08 AM   #101
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Big fan of the classic lugs here

red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 11:09 AM   #102
robotkiller
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500
I think you guys over-estimate Rolex buyers. I would be surprised if 25% of them were even aware that the lugs were any different.

That said, the fatter lugs make the watch look bigger. It's allowed Rolex to stay with a traditional case diameter without looking like a woman's watch in the modern market.

Trends seem to be leaning toward smaller watches now, but not enough for Rolex to go back to the old case, IMO.

I think most of your garden variety Rolex buyers would prefer the maxi/supercase because it looks beefier. They may not even know that it's the larger lugs (and crown guards) that make it look so.

PS - I prefer the old lugs.
robotkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 11:12 AM   #103
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I like the cases of old better.

But bezel, bracelet, and dial of new ones better.

I’d like to see some slimming. But I can’t imagine they will do this. Different proportions? Sure. But I doubt slimming.

It’s how the targeted the masses with larger cases, but still at 40mm

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 11:34 AM   #104
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richris1 View Post
It SEEMS at least, they’re moving to, at minimum, slightly slimmer lugs....but you’re right, hard to read this one
The SD4K and the SD43 suggest as much, but the data is pretty limited.
Old 19 February 2018, 12:13 PM   #105
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Says who?
Says the real Spartacus.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 12:24 PM   #106
Bigblu10
Banned

Plenty of alternatives to the 6 digit Sub if you don't like the lug proportions. I personally like everything of the 6 digit compared to the 5. Lugs are not an issue in my book.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 01:04 PM   #107
Barrier25
"TRF" Member

Who’s thinking slimmer lugs?

I find it interesting that all debate is focused around aesthetics, and nothing about functionality. While this is purely speculation on my part, I feel as Rolex have thought out this new supercase design completely and it most likely has more to do with durability & functionality than just singularly visual appeal. These watches at the end of the day are tools that will be able to last for generations of users if cared for properly. Bigger case dimensions, while no doubt are designed with aesthetic in mind, perhaps also offer better protection of the movement, ability to perform multiple polishing (if that’s your thing), better crown protection, among other things I can’t even think of...

Just some food for thought.
Barrier25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 01:13 PM   #108
Portland
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Who’s thinking slimmer lugs?

I feel like we’re a little light on pics in this thread.

Portland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 02:12 PM   #109
MP5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Thick lugs are the 928 of Rolex evolution. Hopefully great things to come.
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 02:17 PM   #110
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1kw View Post
They already make a 40 mm sub. with slim lugs....its called a yacht master
Truth. Don't like a Sub because of the case, then get a Yacht Master 40. It wears smaller, feels smaller, and that's because the case is smaller.

Funny thought though...what happens if they don't shrink the size of the Sub's case, but then they put the Yacht Master 40 on the super case? That will blow everyone's mind...

I doubt that will happen, but I just wanted to stir the pot...
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 02:35 PM   #111
Fanofsteel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portland View Post
This is a really good point. I fall under the same umbrella. For me, the maxi case 6 digit is the sub of my generation. I guess it’s kinda like your favorite “James Bond” will vary depending on your generation.

It also doesn’t help that I’m a sentimental son of a gun. I bought my 116610LN brand new to commemorate a major milestone which makes it that much more special to me. What I don’t get is the hate. So it’s not your cup of tea, cool. There are plenty of other divers out there (not excluding the Rolex lineup) to chose from.
Yup... My father's Sub is my father's Sub. I like it, but I prefer the latest version's robustness, lines, & materials. Beauty is strictly in the eye of the beholder, of course. But I actually never was captured by the Sub until the 2012 version was released, and all of the elements just came together for my personal taste. I'm hoping they don't change anything, but as someone mentioned, any structural changes would just make the current design more collectible.
Fanofsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 04:49 PM   #112
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
outside of the forums, real people are not going to suddenly stop buying Subs and GMT's whether they go back to a 5 digit proportioned case, or bump it up to match the 42mm EXP II, so long as it still says "ROLEX" on the dial.

I think they'll bump the case to 41mm, bang in a new movement, taper the lugs, hopefully chamfer the edges some. Maybe AR the whole bloody sapphire.....
asiparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 07:02 PM   #113
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden View Post
No change. It’s only a small minority that likes the vintage size of the 5 digits. Rolex knows their markets. Or I could be wrong.
I really think you could be. I tend to see the majority either straight up hate the maxicase or tolerate it as an 'ok' compromise because of the updated clasp. As opposed to the minority who see it as a 100% improvement over the one that ran for decades. It will be most amusing if the case is 'updated' to look like the old ones again. Oh I will laugh ha ha ha.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 07:12 PM   #114
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onikage View Post
I really think you could be. I tend to see the majority either straight up hate the maxicase or tolerate it as an 'ok' compromise because of the updated clasp. As opposed to the minority who see it as a 100% improvement over the one that ran for decades.
If only you had access to actual sales data instead of the skewed self-reporting of members of a watch enthusiasts' forum. Wait, I forgot: Rolex put out an official press release saying sales of super-case Subs and GMTs sucks dogs' bollocks.
Old 19 February 2018, 07:21 PM   #115
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If only you had access to actual sales data instead of the skewed self-reporting of members of a watch enthusiasts' forum. Wait, I forgot: Rolex put out an official press release saying sales of super-case Subs and GMTs sucks dogs' bollocks.
I also speak to other owners, visit dealers and scour other forums. You appear to disagree. No need to refer to canine genitalia old boy. We're all friends here.
Old 19 February 2018, 07:29 PM   #116
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
The percentage of prospective buyers and current owners that ponder the finer points of lug size is so small I seriously doubt it will be of any concern to Rolex.

How large should my cufflinks be with a 5 digit vs. 6 digit?
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 07:35 PM   #117
Switch
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
I also speak to other owners, visit dealers and scour other forums. You appear to disagree. No need to refer to canine genitalia old boy. We're all friends here.
Unfortunately from a statistical point of view, your sample size is too small to adequately represent the population size
Switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 07:35 PM   #118
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
Same Super Case with chamfer lugs will be wonderfu!! I adore supercase.
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 07:53 PM   #119
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
I'm just saying that for a watch style so hated or, at best, barely tolerated by an alleged majority of prospective customers, with only a minority of watch admirers actually liking it, the high sales of the models are counterintuitive, no? I know you subscribe to the theory that most people will buy watches they don't like so long as those models are what's being shown in the case. I'm just wondering if there's another explanation.
Old 19 February 2018, 08:17 PM   #120
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm just saying that for a watch style so hated or, at best, barely tolerated by an alleged majority of prospective customers, with only a minority of watch admirers actually liking it, the high sales of the models are counterintuitive, no? I know you subscribe to the theory that most people will buy watches they don't like so long as those models are what's being shown in the case. I'm just wondering if there's another explanation.
I didn't say barely tolerated or buying things they don't like. Nothing nearly as strong as that, but yeah that's about sized me up on this subject. We'll just have to wait and see what Rolex thinks - They seem to acknowledge we anti-maxi people exist. Where's the Rolex insider guy who accurately leaked exactly what Rolex was going to do last year? I hope Rolex hasn't 'shut him up'.