The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 26 April 2009, 08:22 PM   #61
Lol-x
Facilitator

C'mon already, O.K. I own a Panerai too, but you newbie Paneristis have to appreciate the vintage Rolex models which have character and soul.

How many of you have had some quality vintage Rolex like a Paul Newman Daytona, or a Steve McQueen (either a 1655 or a 5512) or even a Sea-Dweller 1665.

As much as I like Panerai.......and I do (I wearing one now for the last week). Rolex still has a heck of a lot to offer and as they say variety is the spice of life.

I've got to agree with Eddie, what's this Panny Tourbillon all about

But that is the beauty of freedom of choice. Go with what you like but never say never because one day you might just be captivated by a special Rolex.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2009, 10:45 PM   #62
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
C'mon already, O.K. I own a Panerai too, but you newbie Paneristis have to appreciate the vintage Rolex models which have character and soul.

How many of you have had some quality vintage Rolex like a Paul Newman Daytona, or a Steve McQueen (either a 1655 or a 5512) or even a Sea-Dweller 1665.

As much as I like Panerai.......and I do (I wearing one now for the last week). Rolex still has a heck of a lot to offer and as they say variety is the spice of life.

But that is the beauty of freedom of choice. Go with what you like but never say never because one day you might just be captivated by a special Rolex.
The Tourbillon is all about $100k ......... on a good day !!
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2009, 11:15 PM   #63
argee1977
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post

I love Rolex too, had seven of them in as many years, but i think the problem is that in the last few years others have come into the marketplace and Rolex seemed to sit back and think that they didn't need to do anything, it was a time when Rolex should have been stepping up their game, but instead they came into it a bit late and now we're seeing some changes, but nothing really special, we're all waiting on something to come from them, but the updated sports range isn't really that much of a step up, personally i was hoping for a couple of brand new releases, Rolex without doubt have the ability to create a new range with ease, unlike others as Rolex have the facilities, staff, money and time to do it all, so i keep wondering why they aren't a bit more adventurous in these times, whereas other companies like Panerai are coming out with a new range to suit the market.

I'm hopeful that something happens, presently i'm sitting back thinking i might wait for the new Submariner, but again there are just so many choices in the same bracket that i wonder if i will get another, if i had the money then of course i'd have another Rolex tomorrow, but there's a lot of us out there who have to sell to buy, and in that situation there's just so much competition in the watch market that Rolex are getting left behind a bit with the lack of new ideas and models..

Still, i wish i had the money to get something nice, like a redsub, milsub, DRSD or the likes, or even to just have a sub LV as an occasional watch as i still have a soft spot for them, but with the price rises i just can't part with nearly £4000 when a year ago it was a £3000 watch, although as i've said many times Rolex are not alone, it's like everyone is testing the market just now with price rises, Panerai being one of the others coming in with the rises twice a year

PANERAI, MORE THAN A WATCH, LESS THAN A KITKAT
argee1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2009, 11:21 PM   #64
brainbizz

I have to agree that Panerai appeal more to me than Rolex at this time. I recently purchased DSSD and GV which collect dust. I still like them just like my PAMs more. I just was notified by Panerai that I have an incoming which will be shipped soon. And it is not a tourb. even though I really like the plat. rad. tourb.
brainbizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2009, 11:52 PM   #65
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argee1977 View Post
I love Rolex too, had seven of them in as many years, but i think the problem is that in the last few years others have come into the marketplace and Rolex seemed to sit back and think that they didn't need to do anything, it was a time when Rolex should have been stepping up their game, but instead they came into it a bit late and now we're seeing some changes, but nothing really special, we're all waiting on something to come from them, but the updated sports range isn't really that much of a step up, personally i was hoping for a couple of brand new releases, Rolex without doubt have the ability to create a new range with ease, unlike others as Rolex have the facilities, staff, money and time to do it all, so i keep wondering why they aren't a bit more adventurous in these times, whereas other companies like Panerai are coming out with a new range to suit the market.

I'm hopeful that something happens, presently i'm sitting back thinking i might wait for the new Submariner, but again there are just so many choices in the same bracket that i wonder if i will get another, if i had the money then of course i'd have another Rolex tomorrow, but there's a lot of us out there who have to sell to buy, and in that situation there's just so much competition in the watch market that Rolex are getting left behind a bit with the lack of new ideas and models..

Still, i wish i had the money to get something nice, like a redsub, milsub, DRSD or the likes, or even to just have a sub LV as an occasional watch as i still have a soft spot for them, but with the price rises i just can't part with nearly £4000 when a year ago it was a £3000 watch, although as i've said many times Rolex are not alone, it's like everyone is testing the market just now with price rises, Panerai being one of the others coming in with the rises twice a year
The problem is not that they didnt come out with any new releases,it more that the new models/dials etc.the presented at Basel 2009,was less than inspiring.The new ss Sub will be their winner,as is the current GMT-C.We have a good idea what it will look like since they bought out the new tt Subm.

I wouldnt worry too much about the increases,even if its twice a year.That and the quality of the product protects the value of the ones you already own.It's actually to your benefit.Come to think of it,where else can you spend money,enjoy it for a few years and actually get your money back after a few years ?? It's not an investment but a great value retainer.That goes for Rolex and Panerai.Bought my 104 back in March 2008 and if I wanted to sell it I would already get more back more than I paid for it.

Old 27 April 2009, 12:13 AM   #66
Trurolexer
Banned

Watch: 5513MaxiI+PreComex
Strange, I'm not so interest with Rolex ceramic thing. I more prefer the old model. Looks more Rolex to me IMO.
Trurolexer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2009, 12:26 AM   #67
louie
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Beast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trurolexer View Post
Strange, I'm not so interest with Rolex ceramic thing. I more prefer the old model. Looks more Rolex to me IMO.
Heru, you'll be surprised how much is to replace the "ceramic thing"...
Old 27 April 2009, 12:28 AM   #68
Trurolexer
Banned

I heard that's USD 500, right?
Old 27 April 2009, 12:41 AM   #69
argee1977
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I heard that's USD 500, right?

Slightly higher, i heard in the UK it's about a grand, so that's about $1500

As for the submariner, i'm waiting for it, but i'm honestly not holding my breath, if they do the same makeover as the GMT then what will the submariner offer, it'll have the same case, crytal, maxi dial, bracelet and so on, the only difference will be the movement and the writing on the dial, which for me means it'll be inferior to the GMT as it wouldn't have the second timezone function. I'm hoping for something a little different otherwise the GMT will still be the winner, well unless Rolex sell the new sub cheaper, which i doubt, it'll be a case of the 312 and 320 for Panerai, although Rolex are a bit smarter and will put on a full 24 hour bezel

Old 27 April 2009, 12:51 AM   #70
louie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Slightly higher, i heard in the UK it's about a grand, so that's about $1500

As for the submariner, i'm waiting for it, but i'm honestly not holding my breath, if they do the same makeover as the GMT then what will the submariner offer, it'll have the same case, crytal, maxi dial, bracelet and so on, the only difference will be the movement and the writing on the dial, which for me means it'll be inferior to the GMT as it wouldn't have the second timezone function. I'm hoping for something a little different otherwise the GMT will still be the winner, well unless Rolex sell the new sub cheaper, which i doubt, it'll be a case of the 312 and 320 for Panerai, although Rolex are a bit smarter and will put on a full 24 hour bezel
yeah i was like i was told over a grand!! buddies,i never regretted flipping my subs for the 233...one of them is a LV. And after owning the 233,i deeply understood Ryan's saying.... "PANERAI,more than just a watch......."
Old 27 April 2009, 03:45 AM   #71
argee1977
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie View Post
yeah i was like i was told over a grand!! buddies,i never regretted flipping my subs for the 233...one of them is a LV. And after owning the 233,i deeply understood Ryan's saying.... "PANERAI,more than just a watch......."

Louie, it's only when you understand the 'less than a kitkat' bit that it all makes sense

Old 27 April 2009, 04:04 AM   #72
louie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Louie, it's only when you understand the 'less than a kitkat' bit that it all makes sense
didn't know Kitkat is so EXPENSIVE in England .. its only a dollar a pack here in Singapore...
Old 27 April 2009, 04:41 AM   #73
argee1977
"TRF" Member

Quote:
didn't know Kitkat is so EXPENSIVE in England .. its only a dollar a pack here in Singapore...

Noooo, it's not about the money, you need to break free from the constraints of money

Old 27 April 2009, 04:46 AM   #74
louie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Noooo, it's not about the money, you need to break free from the constraints of money
Have a break,have a Kitkat!
Old 27 April 2009, 04:50 AM   #75
argee1977
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Have a break,have a Kitkat!

You're almost there, just give it time

Old 27 April 2009, 05:02 AM   #76
100thmonkey
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Are Beautiful
It cant be less than a kitkat! A kitkat has 4 fingers a watch has 2 hands (8 fingers!!!!)
100thmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2009, 07:12 AM   #77
argee1977
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
It cant be less than a kitkat! A kitkat has 4 fingers a watch has 2 hands (8 fingers!!!!)

I used to think like that as well, but appearances can be deceptive

Old 27 April 2009, 03:33 PM   #78
Trurolexer
Banned

Quote:
I don't know, suddenly I lost my passion with submariner.
I sold 'em two, when the first time honestly I missed my LV. But now, I think I made a good decision to sold my LV for 232.
232 look so classic and elegant to me.
Old 27 April 2009, 07:55 PM   #79
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don't know, suddenly I lost my passion with submariner.
I sold 'em two, when the first time honestly I missed my LV. But now, I think I made a good decision to sold my LV for 232.
232 look so classic and elegant to me.
No question. 232 beats a LV
Old 27 April 2009, 08:05 PM   #80
Trurolexer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
AMEN!!!
Old 27 April 2009, 09:26 PM   #81
argee1977
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Nah, i love the LV, the subs a timeless classic and the maxi dial and emerald green bezel are a winner for me

Old 27 April 2009, 09:54 PM   #82
Trurolexer
Banned

Agree with you, but since many here in Jakarta wearing LV, I decided to flip it.
But I'm still respectful with Submariner. Iconic watch...
Old 27 April 2009, 10:04 PM   #83
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nah, i love the LV, the subs a timeless classic and the maxi dial and emerald green bezel are a winner for me
Green is just not my colour and 40mm is too small.
Old 27 April 2009, 10:08 PM   #84
Trurolexer
Banned

Quote:
Green is just not my colour and 40mm is too small.
44, 45 or 47 is the right size for me.
Old 27 April 2009, 10:42 PM   #85
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
44, 45 or 47 is the right size for me.
Agree
Old 27 April 2009, 11:36 PM   #86
Fred_Tan
Banned

Watch: Bumble Bee
Oh no!

Not many has ever gone back to Rolex after going thru what u gone thru...
Fred_Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2009, 11:47 PM   #87

Watch: 116520
Oh no.... I think I got poisoned by PAM233...
116520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2009, 12:14 AM   #88
Trurolexer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 116520 View Post
Oh no.... I think I got poisoned by PAM233...
You will get one, soon.
Old 28 April 2009, 12:16 AM   #89
tuisquash
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai rolex
Quote:
You will get one, soon.
and will change your avatar.
Old 28 April 2009, 12:23 AM   #90
Trurolexer