The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 October 2023, 07:57 AM   #1
ChronoKings
"TRF" Member

Icon20 Getting My First Rolex From A London AD Advice

Hello Sirs, a new watch enthusiast here (pls no flame), im looking to get my first Rolex for my graduation in 8 months or so.
My father originally Registered his interest for an EXPLORER II m226570 polar which is the watch i chose, and another watch for himself.
Later I discovered the M126613LB Two Tone Bluesy and fell in love with it and also put my name down for this as well and should not be that hard to get by my understanding.

My main issue is that my father has a reasonable purchase history at goldsmiths (which is owned by the WoS and is opposite the Ad which we visited) We have been waiting 6 months and received no calls which is fine, however i have the intention of buying a number of watches(im already addicted) after i have graduated in the near future and i dont really want to spend money at and AD thats unwilling to build a relationship or "reward" my loyalty. Are all ADs like this and do i really need to spend 100k just to be a respected customer.

Does anyone recommend any good ADs in London or Greater London or is waiting what i should expect at the beginning of my Rolex journey. Any advice appreciated.
ChronoKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2023, 09:31 AM   #2
dukie748
"TRF" Member

WoS can be a tough nut to crack. Buying a few of the other watches that you want will probably help you build a history toward them allocating you a Rolex - there's no guarantee - it sucks, but it is what it is.

Alternatively, try and find an independent AD, they tend to be a little more customer focused and open to building longer term relationships - the problem is, WoS pretty much dominate a large part of the UK market these days.

I had an independent AD I worked with for 2+ decades, WoS bought them out, they moved location but retained the same store manager. When I later requested a watch I was told I would have to start building my relationship all over again, my past purchases didn't count for anything. Put me right off WoS.
dukie748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2023, 10:24 AM   #3
ChronoKings
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukie748 View Post
WoS can be a tough nut to crack. Buying a few of the other watches that you want will probably help you build a history toward them allocating you a Rolex - there's no guarantee - it sucks, but it is what it is.

Alternatively, try and find an independent AD, they tend to be a little more customer focused and open to building longer term relationships - the problem is, WoS pretty much dominate a large part of the UK market these days.

I had an independent AD I worked with for 2+ decades, WoS bought them out, they moved location but retained the same store manager. When I later requested a watch I was told I would have to start building my relationship all over again, my past purchases didn't count for anything. Put me right off WoS.
Aww thats a shame. WOS group is very dominant in London and i would hate to start spending money at an AD only to not receive the watches i want. I had heard good and bad things about every Ad. From Forcing people to buy jewelry to get their watch to rude customer service. So i kinda want to make sure i pick a good one.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 12 October 2023, 01:12 PM   #4
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
I'm in Canada and have a thread here on how I got a black Submariner Date about two years ago if you want to read it. I was also new to the Rolex game back then and watches in general.

I do not recommend buying watch after watch after watch hoping they eventually sell you a Bluesy. A Bluesy should be doable as a first purchase but it may take some time, maybe three months, maybe a year. If you are considering multiple other purchases just for a Bluesy, I suggest working out the math of how much everything would cost you and then compare it to buying your Rolex (singular or plural) from the grey market and having it/them immediately.

You didn't list what the other brands you want are. Depending on what they are, you may be better off buying everything grey. Practically every other brand sells for below sticker on the grey market. Work out the math.

Another thing to consider is you may think you want a huge collection now but may not want as many when you start acquiring them, like me. I own five watches, one Rolex, and feel I have too many. Originally, I wanted the Submariner, GMT II, and Daytona (like everyone else). I figured I would go the AD route, buy everything else I wanted from them to get said Rolex watches - I was planning future Panerai, Cartier, multiple Omegas - but now that I have a Submariner I just don't want those other Rolex or anything else.

My advice to someone new is to start with the watches you want most as long as they are within reason. Obviously, if you are just finishing up with school and want an RM or Tiffany dial Nautilus you have some problems. lol
Tim Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2023, 04:06 PM   #5
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Why wait if you’ve got the money just go grey
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2023, 04:31 PM   #6
Scubastu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 126613LB
Great choice the bluesy I bought one in March after only waiting 3 months.
I'm in Berkshire so not a million miles away I tried my local Goldsmiths who I had a small spend history with (circa £10k) to be told the usual about spend history but they would try their best. Then after 6 months and nothing started casting my net a little wider including some AD's in London to be told the same thing. Last November tried a small independent in Windsor Robert Gatwards with no spend history and they came through for me in February with "the call".
Good luck with getting one I'm sure if you cast your net a little wider you will suceed.
Scubastu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2023, 05:50 PM   #7
Space1970
"TRF" Member

I think it will be very hard with WoS (especially in London) to get a Bluesy as your first Rolex

They have rigid rules when it comes to what you can get and what you have to do to get it

However they do have several M126613LB via their CPO so that could be a way to get the watch you want and start building a spend history with them

Worth keeping in mind that your spend is branch specific and not an accumulated WoS/Goldsmiths spend so either stick with one branch or as others have said go independent

Good luck ��
Space1970 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2023, 09:53 PM   #8
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Welcome and two nice watches to start off with. I would educate myself here on the AD versus Trusted Sellers/Grey Market. With the current market adjustments you should be able to get the watches you want without too much of a premium for the TT Submariner and should be real close on the Polar Explorer II at retail from a Trusted Seller. As you move along in the watch game your tastes and experience will change and you will figure it out. In my thirty plus years in the game I have never bought anything that I did not want to qualify for something I do want. In the long run it typically does not work out. Good luck and keep us posted on your journey.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2023, 07:30 AM   #9
ChronoKings
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Plains View Post
I'm in Canada and have a thread here on how I got a black Submariner Date about two years ago if you want to read it. I was also new to the Rolex game back then and watches in general.

I do not recommend buying watch after watch after watch hoping they eventually sell you a Bluesy. A Bluesy should be doable as a first purchase but it may take some time, maybe three months, maybe a year. If you are considering multiple other purchases just for a Bluesy, I suggest working out the math of how much everything would cost you and then compare it to buying your Rolex (singular or plural) from the grey market and having it/them immediately.

You didn't list what the other brands you want are. Depending on what they are, you may be better off buying everything grey. Practically every other brand sells for below sticker on the grey market. Work out the math.

Another thing to consider is you may think you want a huge collection now but may not want as many when you start acquiring them, like me. I own five watches, one Rolex, and feel I have too many. Originally, I wanted the Submariner, GMT II, and Daytona (like everyone else). I figured I would go the AD route, buy everything else I wanted from them to get said Rolex watches - I was planning future Panerai, Cartier, multiple Omegas - but now that I have a Submariner I just don't want those other Rolex or anything else.

My advice to someone new is to start with the watches you want most as long as they are within reason. Obviously, if you are just finishing up with school and want an RM or Tiffany dial Nautilus you have some problems. lol
Thanks for the reply! I read your old post, seems like you where treated quite well and got that watch pretty fast. But as you said i dont really want to start buying watches for no reason just to get the ones i want.

Some of the other watches i have been looking at are the Tudor Black Bay, red bezel, and the speedmaster. This issue is they do sell Omega or tudor at my specific ADs due to the fact there is a Goldsmiths opposite which deals in those watches, so buying these would not do much for my purchase history since they are difference branches. (and i dont want do spend 20k on watches within a year..............at least for now lol.)

In response to people talking about the gray market, im not to sure about it, i dont know anyone who has bought watches from it and my father who got me into watches is strictly against buying his watches from the gray. Maby im wrong but it kinda would seem more special to get my first rolex from a AD than going gray.

Main issue is i would prefer to spend money at an AD that increases my chances of getting the watches i like rather than wasting my time and money at an AD that doesn't really value me. Dont know if my chances are better with WoS group or Bucherer or even and independent shop. Ill try look at some other ADs in London or even out of London any exercise some patience. Who know the AD may come in clutch and get me my Bluesy before my graduation.
Old 13 October 2023, 07:50 AM   #10
ChronoKings
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubastu View Post
Great choice the bluesy I bought one in March after only waiting 3 months.
I'm in Berkshire so not a million miles away I tried my local Goldsmiths who I had a small spend history with (circa £10k) to be told the usual about spend history but they would try their best. Then after 6 months and nothing started casting my net a little wider including some AD's in London to be told the same thing. Last November tried a small independent in Windsor Robert Gatwards with no spend history and they came through for me in February with "the call".
Good luck with getting one I'm sure if you cast your net a little wider you will suceed.
Bluesy after 3 months, thats nice congrats
Ill try be abit more patient, give them a chance and if im waiting too long ill give it a shot, visit some independent guys.
Old 13 October 2023, 09:41 AM   #11
ChronoKings
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space1970 View Post
I think it will be very hard with WoS (especially in London) to get a Bluesy as your first Rolex

They have rigid rules when it comes to what you can get and what you have to do to get it

However they do have several M126613LB via their CPO so that could be a way to get the watch you want and start building a spend history with them

Worth keeping in mind that your spend is branch specific and not an accumulated WoS/Goldsmiths spend so either stick with one branch or as others have said go independent

Good luck ��
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Welcome and two nice watches to start off with. I would educate myself here on the AD versus Trusted Sellers/Grey Market. With the current market adjustments you should be able to get the watches you want without too much of a premium for the TT Submariner and should be real close on the Polar Explorer II at retail from a Trusted Seller. As you move along in the watch game your tastes and experience will change and you will figure it out. In my thirty plus years in the game I have never bought anything that I did not want to qualify for something I do want. In the long run it typically does not work out. Good luck and keep us posted on your journey.
Thanks for the replies guys.
Im going to take your advice. Not to sure about the gray market tho. Ill visit some of these independent Ads, nothing to lose. but ill give my ad up until my graduation to see if they come through. I dont mind "playing the game" but im a student rn so cant dish out 20k for watches ahhahaha.
Just want to back the best ad for my money.
Thanks Sirs.
Old 13 October 2023, 11:19 PM   #12
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoKings View Post
Hello Sirs, a new watch enthusiast here (pls no flame), im looking to get my first Rolex for my graduation in 8 months or so.
My father originally Registered his interest for an EXPLORER II m226570 polar which is the watch i chose, and another watch for himself.
Later I discovered the M126613LB Two Tone Bluesy and fell in love with it and also put my name down for this as well and should not be that hard to get by my understanding.

My main issue is that my father has a reasonable purchase history at goldsmiths (which is owned by the WoS and is opposite the Ad which we visited) We have been waiting 6 months and received no calls which is fine, however i have the intention of buying a number of watches(im already addicted) after i have graduated in the near future and i dont really want to spend money at and AD thats unwilling to build a relationship or "reward" my loyalty. Are all ADs like this and do i really need to spend 100k just to be a respected customer.

Does anyone recommend any good ADs in London or Greater London or is waiting what i should expect at the beginning of my Rolex journey. Any advice appreciated.
Find a good family owned bricks and mortar reseller. Explain your position and that you have a long term collecting plan.

Secondary market prices are starting to reset to more sensible levels. Sure, they may never go back to significantly below retail and you'll pay a bit more but you won't have to play the games and wait.

You'll really struggle in London or Greater London. And why would an independent AD elsewhere sell to you before someone local?

My local B&M reseller has a fully stickered unworn 116613 (prior generation to the one you want) for £150 less than the 126613 retails for. Its also got the 3135 movement and therefore guaranteed not to suffer from the issues that affect some of the 32** series movements as found in the 126613.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2023, 11:47 PM   #13
IGY
"TRF" Member

Maybe with Goldsmiths, if your dad is still with you ask him to introduce to you his sales contact to start your own account.

If you have the time express interest with all Rolex ADs that you have access to. Don't tell them you have done that. No need. None of their business. However don't register with more than 1 AD under the same holding company. So go Goldsmiths (for example but then not WoS or EYoung), Bucherer, Laings and Prestons or whatever). The only thing that will cost you is time and it is irritating to go through the same BS with more sales people telling you the same lies and the same no promise hints.

Mention your graduation date as that might help fix sales people's minds on a timetable to supply you with your desired watch.

Never buy something you don't want to build a purchase history for something you do want. And don't accept something you didn't ask for as a substitute to what you asked for. That's my personal opinion. If you were going to get something anyways, that may influence where you buy it. But realise you are the one with CASH. And cash is always a lot more useful than a watch. You can invest it and make more money with it, or buy any one of a number of alternative watches with other watch dealers. You don't owe these watch dealers anything. It is a transaction. Not a "relationship". I know there are plenty of people on here that will disagree with that, but that's my opinion. I am not saying you cant be friendly but never lose sight of the fact that the interaction between you and the sales representative of a company is a transaction.

Also consider that there is a good chance that the exceptional watch market from the past three years is likely to normalise back to what it used to be like with much better product availability (particularly for high quality, but mass market brands like Rolex) and that the current backwardation of some watch models returns to a situation where used watches once again trade below their retail prices.
IGY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2023, 11:59 PM   #14
Scubastu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 126613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoKings View Post
Bluesy after 3 months, thats nice congrats
Ill try be abit more patient, give them a chance and if im waiting too long ill give it a shot, visit some independent guys.
I should have said in my original reply WOS did come through for me on the watch too about 12 months after my enquiry to them but by which time I had already bought it.
Scubastu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2023, 12:12 PM   #15
ChronoKings
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGY View Post
Maybe with Goldsmiths, if your dad is still with you ask him to introduce to you his sales contact to start your own account.

If you have the time express interest with all Rolex ADs that you have access to. Don't tell them you have done that. No need. None of their business. However don't register with more than 1 AD under the same holding company. So go Goldsmiths (for example but then not WoS or EYoung), Bucherer, Laings and Prestons or whatever). The only thing that will cost you is time and it is irritating to go through the same BS with more sales people telling you the same lies and the same no promise hints.

Mention your graduation date as that might help fix sales people's minds on a timetable to supply you with your desired watch.

Never buy something you don't want to build a purchase history for something you do want. And don't accept something you didn't ask for as a substitute to what you asked for. That's my personal opinion. If you were going to get something anyways, that may influence where you buy it. But realise you are the one with CASH. And cash is always a lot more useful than a watch. You can invest it and make more money with it, or buy any one of a number of alternative watches with other watch dealers. You don't owe these watch dealers anything. It is a transaction. Not a "relationship". I know there are plenty of people on here that will disagree with that, but that's my opinion. I am not saying you cant be friendly but never lose sight of the fact that the interaction between you and the sales representative of a company is a transaction.

Also consider that there is a good chance that the exceptional watch market from the past three years is likely to normalise back to what it used to be like with much better product availability (particularly for high quality, but mass market brands like Rolex) and that the current backwardation of some watch models returns to a situation where used watches once again trade below their retail prices.
Unfortunately my dads sales rep, at the goldsmiths, does not sell omegas, because the there is a WoS branch that sells Rolex 20 meters away lol. They do however sell tutors and when we spoke she kinda insinuated that we could get a discount if we bough multiple watches. She gave nice discounts to my dad on an aqua terra and some other watches.

But as it happens i do have some spare time so ill try visit some more ADs and see whats up. I think your right about buying watches that your not interested in, its a waste to get something you wont enjoy, but i dont know if rejecting an offer from an AD will hurt your chances of getting another watch in the future.
Also yeah, i suppose ur somewhat right again, there is quite alot of stress around this "relationship" stuff but in the end of the day they just want high spenders

Thanks for the reply
Old 14 October 2023, 05:58 PM   #16
dlddrrr
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV, DD, BLNR, ND
I was at the Cribbs Causeway mall in Bristol while on holiday and stopped by the Rolex store last month - they had a lady datejust and a solid yellow gold Skydweller champagne dial on bracelet available to sell me. I passed on both though, the exchange rate from Canadian dollar to GBP is terrible.
dlddrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2023, 10:13 PM   #17
MedicalDeviceRep
"TRF" Member

I walked into the London Airport and walked out with a desirable sports model in 2022.
MedicalDeviceRep is offline   Reply With Quote