The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 May 2015, 09:05 PM   #1
stil

Watch: Rolex n Omega
Odd behavior...14060

Hi All,

I have a 20 year old 14060 that was serviced within the last 18 months. It's been running like a beast until last night. I took it off to wind it up and reset the time. I went through my normal procedure to unwind the crown, wind the watch, pulled it out further to stop the seconds, set the time, pushed in crown and screwed it down. Put the watch back on and didn't think about it again. The time was 10:12PM.

This morning I put the watch only to notice that the time was still 10:12 and about 15 seconds. So I went through the same process again and it's been running fine since.

Would you recommend to have a watchmaker take a look at the internals to make sure everything is OK? Does this sound like acceptable behavior?
stil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2015, 09:08 PM   #2
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
You didn't push the crown in to start the watch, you just screwed it in and it didn't click. Happens to me frequently (or it use to). Be sure to push it in tight, feel the click and watch the second hand move before screwing in the crown. Nothing to worry about.
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2015, 09:13 PM   #3
stil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzz View Post
You didn't push the crown in to start the watch, you just screwed it in and it didn't click. Happens to me frequently (or it use to). Be sure to push it in tight, feel the click and watch the second hand move before screwing in the crown. Nothing to worry about.
Thanks for the quick response! I didn't realize this was possible as I thought by pushing in the crown to screw it down was pushing in the crown.

I forgot to mention...when I reset the watch to 10:12PM the seconds were at 0. When I looked at it this morning the seconds were at 15 or so. So it ran briefly...and I always look to make sure it starts ticking since I'm oddly mesmerized by the movement.
Old 21 May 2015, 09:17 PM   #4
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
Quote:
Originally Posted by stil View Post
Thanks for the quick response! I didn't realize this was possible as I thought by pushing in the crown to screw it down was pushing in the crown.

I forgot to mention...when I reset the watch to 10:12PM the seconds were at 0. When I looked at it this morning the seconds were at 15 or so. So it ran briefly...and I always look to make sure it starts ticking since I'm oddly mesmerized by the movement.
No problem, I believe it just was not pushed in far enough to be fully engaged. This is easy to have happen. Next time just push in firmly, the second hand will start (observe movement) screw in crown.

Very confident you are good!
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2015, 01:16 AM   #5
xjeeunitx
2024 Pledge Member

Yup. This happens to the best of us. There are times when I incorrectly set my time by one hour or five minute intervals. :)
xjeeunitx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2015, 01:33 AM   #6
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjeeunitx View Post
Yup. This happens to the best of us. There are times when I incorrectly set my time by one hour or five minute intervals. :)
x2

Although, I don't think this is the issue.

If the watch was service 18 months ago, it should be still under warranty, so an inspection of the watch shouldn't cost you anything to put your mind at ease.

I don't think I've ever experienced this with my 14060M.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2015, 01:56 AM   #7
stil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
x2

Although, I don't think this is the issue.

If the watch was service 18 months ago, it should be still under warranty, so an inspection of the watch shouldn't cost you anything to put your mind at ease.

I don't think I've ever experienced this with my 14060M.
Thanks for your input.

I talked to the watchmaker today about something else and brought this up...he said he'd take a closer look at it for me.

Will let you guys know what he says.
Old 22 May 2015, 02:01 AM   #8
brucewayne1959
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay
Watch is still under warranty. Take it in and let them have a look. Can't hurt...

"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, many are strong at the broken places." Ernest Hemingway
Talent is a chisel, but hard work and effort is the hammer. God puts the chisel in your hand but expects you to pick up the hammer and swing...
brucewayne1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2015, 02:42 AM   #9
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
I've had the same thing happen a number of times with my 14060.
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote