The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 March 2015, 08:13 AM   #91
JDR888
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by duggerdean View Post
I can't imagine the eta holding it's value, especially when the in-house is priced so fairly. Honestly, this has me thinking about flipping my black bay as I expect it's next to go in-house.
Only flip your Black Bay if they decide to destroy the aesthetics of the dial by turning it into a 5-liner!!!

Current stable: 214270, 126234, 126710BLRO & Pelagos 39mm
JDR888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2015, 08:17 AM   #92
Boxcars
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsfull View Post
I will say this.....IF Tudor lowers the price on the ETA Pelago's to $2500.....I will be the first to say it will be THE best deal I've seen on a watch in over 20 years.

That said, I wouldn't hold your breath. LOL
Won't happen. In fact, I think you will find that you will struggle to find one in an AD at all over the next couple of months.
Boxcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2015, 08:27 AM   #93
JDR888
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherpa23 View Post
I love mine and I didn't buy it as an investment so I don't care what it's worth. Here it is with my DSSD. As you can see, they're fairly similar in size.
A picture tells a thousand things...........

Matt dial, Matt bezel, cleaner dial...... I rest my case.

Old 20 March 2015, 10:30 AM   #94
DKRanger22
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherpa23 View Post
I love mine and I didn't buy it as an investment so I don't care what it's worth. Here it is with my DSSD. As you can see, they're fairly similar in size.
Your picture made me think...

It's funny how some folks are complaining about the amount of text found on the new Pelagos, but in fact, it pales in comparison to the amount of text found on the DSSD, especially the billboard-style "original gas escape valve" nonsense.
DKRanger22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2015, 10:35 AM   #95
kooltzar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 5512
Quote:
Originally Posted by handsfull View Post
I will say this.....IF Tudor lowers the price on the ETA Pelago's to $2500.....I will be the first to say it will be THE best deal I've seen on a watch in over 20 years.

That said, I wouldn't hold your breath. LOL
Nobody said that Tudor will lower the price, the market does (meaning if you buy a used mint condition one).
kooltzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2015, 10:39 AM   #96
kooltzar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 5512
I also don't see why adding lines would destroy the dial. I like that it mentiones the model name and the fact it is COSC.
kooltzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2015, 05:16 PM   #97
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcars View Post
Won't happen. In fact, I think you will find that you will struggle to find one in an AD at all over the next couple of months.
I agree, the Pelagos Mark I, 2 liner is destined to be a future classic. I'd buy up these bad-boys now. *

*The value of investments may go down as well as up. Please keep up repayments on your watch
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2015, 05:22 PM   #98
JDR888
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooltzar View Post
I also don't see why adding lines would destroy the dial. I like that it mentiones the model name and the fact it is COSC.
To my eye and my appreciation of the aesthetics - the additional font on the new dial makes it too cluttered in comparison to the 2-liner. IMO there is too much going on. You like it. I don't. You may be in the majority. I may be in the minority.

Now if they replaced the Rotor Self Winding with the COSC blurb and left it as a 2-liner without adding the ridiculous PELAGOS font, IMO that's more of a winner for me.

Imagine if they take a similar approach with the Black Bay - how ridiculous would that dial look with BLACK BAY written on it????

Just my personal opinion - some will agree, some won't.

Old 20 March 2015, 06:33 PM   #99
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Watchmaking is about movements! That is the heart of a watch.
14060m has a better movement than a 1960's 5513 but which sell for more in the second hand market? (It also has a stronger case and crystal and a better depth rating)
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2015, 02:23 AM   #100
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDR888 View Post
To my eye and my appreciation of the aesthetics - the additional font on the new dial makes it too cluttered in comparison to the 2-liner. IMO there is too much going on. You like it. I don't. You may be in the majority. I may be in the minority.

Now if they replaced the Rotor Self Winding with the COSC blurb and left it as a 2-liner without adding the ridiculous PELAGOS font, IMO that's more of a winner for me.

Imagine if they take a similar approach with the Black Bay - how ridiculous would that dial look with BLACK BAY written on it????

I agree, so that means I'm also in the 'minority'.

The new Pelagos dial looks cluttered with all that text. Too busy. That was one of the same reasons I sold my DSSD.
handsfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2015, 03:43 AM   #101
johneh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
The ETA 2824 you find in basically all watches that have no inhouse movements, even all the non quartz Swatches house it. There must be a reason why the Rolexes, Pateks, AP's, Jaegers, Vacherons and Langes have a higher value than all the other brands.
Swatch Sistem51, definitely not an ETA 2824. I do agree that it's a common movement, especially in the standard/elabore grade. That said, in-house is not always better, I've had ETAs that were far more accurate and reliable than some of the in-house calibres I've owned.

As for what's going to happen to the current Pelagos, no one can say for sure. I own one and I don't expect it to become a collector's item. I have never bought a watch and expected it to be worth more down the road, but if it happens that's awesome. I will tell you one thing, I'm going to wear the hell out of it because that's what it's intended for.
johneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2015, 03:52 AM   #102
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
It doesn't mean a thing for the old Pelagos. The watch was released, people wanted it, bought it. A better question is, "What does the new Pelagos mean for the owners of the old Pelagos?"

I have decided to be happy with the 'old' one!

The world has an endless cycle of new product introductions and the next generation is usually an improvement. One can try to chase the latest & greatest, but it gets tiring after a while.

The original Pelagos is now 'vintage' (not quite, I know, but already special at least to me)
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2015, 03:53 AM   #103
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I think it's a good thing. First round buyers can be happy they have a discontinued two line dial, while new buyers get an in house. Everyone wins
Old 21 March 2015, 04:17 AM   #104
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1166610 View Post
It means you will soon be able to pick the older model up at a good discount!
Hope you're right. I'll probably get one.
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2015, 04:19 AM   #105
MaxCargo
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
the pelagos is a keeper. i bought it last summer, and it is the most accurate watch i have
MaxCargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2015, 04:38 AM   #106
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Wasn't there an update with the crown guards on the early Pelagos? Maybe the pointy CG models will be worth a pretty penny in the future
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2015, 07:35 AM   #107
Go Bucs
"TRF" Member

For me it meant go ahead and take the plunge on a new first gen.
Go Bucs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2021, 10:44 AM   #108
SpartanRolexWarrior
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Pelagos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDR888 View Post

This is resurrecting a thread...but it's funny reading this now that the new Black Bay Ceramic dial now literally has the words "Black Bay" on it
SpartanRolexWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote