The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 3 April 2018, 08:59 AM   #1
cuibono
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS SkyD
calibre p.5000: good, average, bad?

Hello everyone
I'm looking to add to my collection (have Rolex, Omega and Tag), specifically a manual wound watch. I'm considering adding a speedmaster or a 8 day Panerai with the p.5000 calibre. The speedmaster movement is proven and basically bullet proof, while there are a few people who have in the past complained about the p.5000.

For those who have the p.5000 movement, hows it been? Any issues? Am I better off with a Panerai with a 3 day eta (same PR as speedmaster, easier to fix perhaps?) I like the idea of an 8 day PR, wind it on Sunday and forget about it till the following weekend.

The other option is a IWC, JLC or the Panerai with the JLC 8 day movement I suppose.

So, what say you?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
cuibono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2018, 07:57 PM   #2
ajas
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, Pam, Speede
Have 610 Rad and so far no issues. In fact movement fully wound goes for almost 9 days.

There are few members here who owns 560. Maybe they can share some insight.

Some folks maybe reculant and praise OP I but I have both 000 and 610. Both movements are realible (at least in my books).

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Tapatalk
ajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2018, 02:54 AM   #3
polaris72
2024 Pledge Member

I have Luminor 561 and I really enjoy this watch. I wind it every Sunday and then I am set to go for the whole week. 561 does not have second hand so checking for accuracy was a little bit trickier. However, I checked it over a long period time and it came to about +2 seconds per day. This accuracy was achieved on my wrist wearing the watch daily for several weeks. If I leave the 561 in my drawer, the accuracy came to about +8 seconds per day. I also have IWC Portugieser 510202 and this is my favorite dress watch. Manual winding is smooth, power reserve on the back. I enjoy both watches equally (have other watches too), and really like switching the straps on my Panerai as the straps give Pam new looks.
polaris72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2018, 07:54 AM   #4
cuibono
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajas View Post
Have 610 Rad and so far no issues. In fact movement fully wound goes for almost 9 days.

There are few members here who owns 560. Maybe they can share some insight.

Some folks maybe reculant and praise OP I but I have both 000 and 610. Both movements are realible (at least in my books).

Good luck.

Thank you!

Old 4 April 2018, 07:54 AM   #5
cuibono
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polaris72 View Post
I have Luminor 561 and I really enjoy this watch. I wind it every Sunday and then I am set to go for the whole week. 561 does not have second hand so checking for accuracy was a little bit trickier. However, I checked it over a long period time and it came to about +2 seconds per day. This accuracy was achieved on my wrist wearing the watch daily for several weeks. If I leave the 561 in my drawer, the accuracy came to about +8 seconds per day. I also have IWC Portugieser 510202 and this is my favorite dress watch. Manual winding is smooth, power reserve on the back. I enjoy both watches equally (have other watches too), and really like switching the straps on my Panerai as the straps give Pam new looks.
Awesome

Old 5 April 2018, 12:09 AM   #6
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

I have two Panerai with this movement. My experience is that the movement runs fast when fully wound and then will "even out." This is consistent on both my models so I do not think it's specific to one particular watch. I have read elsewhere that this is common with the P5000.

I am interested to hear other opinions.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2018, 01:11 AM   #7
ajas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
I have two Panerai with this movement. My experience is that the movement runs fast when fully wound and then will "even out." This is consistent on both my models so I do not think it's specific to one particular watch. I have read elsewhere that this is common with the P5000.

Never paid attention to this but let me check on my 610 and let you know if few days

Old 5 April 2018, 01:30 AM   #8
cuibono
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Never paid attention to this but let me check on my 610 and let you know if few days

Thanks!

Old 5 April 2018, 01:30 AM   #9
cuibono
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Are you happy overall?

Old 5 April 2018, 02:37 AM   #10
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuibono View Post
Are you happy overall?

Yeah. I mean as I alluded to, they do run fast if fully wound. They certainly aren't my most accurate pieces. I do love though that I can wind one and wear it on a Monday, wear a bunch of other pieces during the week, pick it back up on a Friday and it is still going.

My only other experience with Panerai were with models that had ETA movements. They were more accurate. That said, I accept that an 8 day "base" movement won't be as accurate as some of their higher end in house movements. I am considering purchasing a third Panerai with an in house movement, so I am interested to see how it stacks up.

Honesly, my most accurate movement in all of my collection is that of my Datejust 41 or my Speedmaster Professional. Those things are dead on. It is especially impressive in the setting of the Omega since it is also manual wind and has a chronograph function (which I understand can deplete power reserve).
Old 5 April 2018, 07:19 AM   #11
cuibono
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah. I mean as I alluded to, they do run fast if fully wound. They certainly aren't my most accurate pieces. I do love though that I can wind one and wear it on a Monday, wear a bunch of other pieces during the week, pick it back up on a Friday and it is still going.

My only other experience with Panerai were with models that had ETA movements. They were more accurate. That said, I accept that an 8 day "base" movement won't be as accurate as some of their higher end in house movements. I am considering purchasing a third Panerai with an in house movement, so I am interested to see how it stacks up.

Honesly, my most accurate movement in all of my collection is that of my Datejust 41 or my Speedmaster Professional. Those things are dead on. It is especially impressive in the setting of the Omega since it is also manual wind and has a chronograph function (which I understand can deplete power reserve).
I've seen some people "complain" about how "hard" it is to wind the speedy. That the crown is so recessed that it's hard to wind it (something about newer speedys being harder and needing a break in period as well due to a new gasket or something). Thoughts? I'd wager yes when compared to a Panerai, but is it annoying?

Thanks again for all this information.

R
Old 5 April 2018, 10:36 AM   #12
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuibono View Post
I've seen some people "complain" about how "hard" it is to wind the speedy. That the crown is so recessed that it's hard to wind it (something about newer speedys being harder and needing a break in period as well due to a new gasket or something). Thoughts? I'd wager yes when compared to a Panerai, but is it annoying?

Thanks again for all this information.

R
It's a little difficult if you compare to a Panerai, but altogether is not a big problem. It's been said a thousand times, but the Speedmaster Professional is the best bang for your buck watch you can buy. Whatever annoyance winding the crown is, it's marginal compared the joy I get from the timepiece. Compared to Rolex and Panerai, the Omega will feel "cheaper." I find this part of its charm honestly. The steel scratches a little easier as does the Hesalite crystal, but the dial and hands are so simply perfect that the manner in which they remain pristine to the remainder of the case, bezel, and bracelet aging is what makes the piece tell its own story.
Old 5 April 2018, 07:45 PM   #13
cuibono
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's a little difficult if you compare to a Panerai, but altogether is not a big problem. It's been said a thousand times, but the Speedmaster Professional is the best bang for your buck watch you can buy. Whatever annoyance winding the crown is, it's marginal compared the joy I get from the timepiece. Compared to Rolex and Panerai, the Omega will feel "cheaper." I find this part of its charm honestly. The steel scratches a little easier as does the Hesalite crystal, but the dial and hands are so simply perfect that the manner in which they remain pristine to the remainder of the case, bezel, and bracelet aging is what makes the piece tell its own story.
Nice. I'll have to get myself to Montreal or Toronto to try one out I think. No omega dealers in Ottawa unfortunately.
Thanks again
R

Old 6 April 2018, 06:31 AM   #14
aperna
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them

Here’s a picture of a vintage omega from 1967 that’s in my collection. The Ultraman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aperna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2018, 08:09 AM   #15
cuibono
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aperna View Post

Here’s a picture of a vintage omega from 1967 that’s in my collection. The Ultraman

Very nice!

Old 6 April 2018, 10:25 AM   #16
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aperna View Post

Very nice 👍
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2018, 05:21 PM   #17
ajas
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Some update. After 7 days from fully wound around 1 minute fast.
Does not bother me at all.
Old 20 April 2018, 08:04 PM   #18
cuibono
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Some update. After 7 days from fully wound around 1 minute fast.
Does not bother me at all.
Thanks for the update! Very much appreciated

Old 21 April 2018, 06:05 AM   #19
cramsey
"TRF" Member

My 610 tends to run quite fast on a full wind, several minutes over the 9 days (it will run for at least 9 days on a full wind). However, if I only wind it "half-way" (about 36 turns for me), it will stay within COSC, although I do have to wind it daily.
cramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 09:21 PM   #20
cuibono
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramsey View Post
My 610 tends to run quite fast on a full wind, several minutes over the 9 days (it will run for at least 9 days on a full wind). However, if I only wind it "half-way" (about 36 turns for me), it will stay within COSC, although I do have to wind it daily.
I'm not personally bothered by that since I rotate watches and have to reset then whenever its their turn. The chatter on the web about that movement was subjective so I'm happy to see some more objective facts (albei from a small sample). Thanks everyone

Old 24 April 2018, 03:20 PM   #21
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

I'm getting closer to 9 days and +4 to +5 secs per day after two weeks with my new PAM911

I'm totally cool and ok with those specs. Still within COSC and I'd much rather have the watch run faster.
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 08:53 PM   #22
Foxiness
"TRF" Member

I had a 560 that ran fast. I hated it with a passion
Foxiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 10:04 AM   #23
itsjknight
"TRF" Member

I’ve found that if I place the 560 face down overnight that it alleviates the speeding up problem when fully wound.
itsjknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 01:20 PM   #24
GaloCinza
"TRF" Member

I have a 564, and I had no speeding up problems! Its not a Rolex but it runs great. I believe that the first series had some issues, but not anymore (i have a late R)

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk
GaloCinza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 05:00 PM   #25
sanosan34
"TRF" Member

I have a 564 with p.5000 that runs fast when fully wound for the first couple minutes. I’ve seen it described as “galloping”, which makes sense when you press your ear to the watch and listen. It makes a tickety-tock tickety-tock sound instead of the usual tick-tick-tick. During that time my watch might gain 10-20 seconds within a few minutes. After it finishes galloping, it runs about +2 to +5 spd for 9.5 days.

It’s a quirky movement but its behavior is predictable so I don’t mind.
sanosan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 05:14 PM   #26
sanosan34
"TRF" Member

Forgot to mention my 564 is a Q serial.

Also the galloping I mentioned is also called banking. It apparently occurs when the “balance wheel rotate too far in each direction, causing the impulse pin on the wheel to knock against the back of the fork horns”. I’m pretty sure there was a youtube video recording the sound but I can’t seem to find it.
sanosan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 10:29 PM   #27
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanosan34 View Post
I have a 564 with p.5000 that runs fast when fully wound for the first couple minutes. I’ve seen it described as “galloping”, which makes sense when you press your ear to the watch and listen. It makes a tickety-tock tickety-tock sound instead of the usual tick-tick-tick. During that time my watch might gain 10-20 seconds within a few minutes. After it finishes galloping, it runs about +2 to +5 spd for 9.5 days.

It’s a quirky movement but its behavior is predictable so I don’t mind.
As I said above, all my P5000 movements run fast and then even out after a day or two. I agree with you completely. While it is a little annoying, it is very predictable.
Old 29 April 2018, 07:30 AM   #28
cuibono
"TRF" Member

Amazing guys thanks!

Old 23 May 2018, 12:09 PM   #29
Foxiness
"TRF" Member

I don’t know how everyone finds the p.5000 movement acceptable. For god sakes it’s a watch over 5k that runs like shit
Foxiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2018, 03:47 AM   #30
hassanaz
"TRF" Member

I have a 510. Is fast when fully wound, but I place it on its side at night so it regulates itself to an acceptable tolerance. Runs within COSC from day 2 onwards. I sometimes set it 20 seconds slow when I wind it up, so it stays with +/- 20 for the whole week.
hassanaz is offline   Reply With Quote