The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 April 2018, 07:13 AM   #1
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

I needed a half link

I recently picked up a Z Blue Milgauss with easy link clasp. No matter what I did to adjust it, I always felt as if the clasp setting was either too big or too small. Even flipping the easy link would make the adjustment too far one way or the other. I needed a half link in order to make it fit just right, but where would I find a PCL half link.. I know one came from the factory on a Yacht master but all of my local ADs wouldnt sell me one unless I had a Yacht master to put it on and they had to install it in store as verification. They told me that the Milgauss didnt require one so they refused to sell me one for it. Some new directive from Rolex is what they all told me. BS
I was bound and determined. I found a brushed half link, which are very common and so I set out to polish it myself. Not bad for my shaky hand Dremel work I must say

Old 26 April 2018, 07:17 AM   #2
kaien
"TRF" Member

Nice work!
kaien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 07:18 AM   #3
jbreeden
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
I am glad that you have it worked out, but not being able to get the "right" fit even with an easy link is quite remarkable and shows you have a true watch collector OCD level like myself. I say this jokingly as i would love to have some quick adjustment capability on my super jubilee.
jbreeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 07:19 AM   #4
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
Looks Great!!
2001jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 07:26 AM   #5
offrdmania

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbreeden View Post
I am glad that you have it worked out, but not being able to get the "right" fit even with an easy link is quite remarkable and shows you have a true watch collector OCD level like myself. I say this jokingly as i would love to have some quick adjustment capability on my super jubilee.
I think I am spoiled by the Glide Lock on my sub and how it fits near perfectly.
Old 26 April 2018, 07:36 AM   #6
drmizzou
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector!
Nicely done! It’s amazing what a 2.5mm difference can make to wearability by adding these 1/2 links! It’s silly to think you’d need one on the sub (which as you probably know it comes with) given the glidelock but I definitely needed it on mine for max comfort and ended up ordering an extra one for my dblue through my AD. They at first thought I was crazy when I mentioned the half link. I had to borrow one of their own subs to show them they came standard on the subs.
Pepsi GMT 126710BLRO
White DaytonaC 116500
Omega Seamaster 50th Anniv Bond OHMSS
Omega Seamaster Bond titanium
drmizzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 07:38 AM   #7
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
very nice! Gotta love when you try to give Rolex more money, and they simply won't take it lol. Nice work around my friend.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 07:39 AM   #8
heygawgaw
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 16600
You say the brushed half link is common, where can I get one?
heygawgaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 07:41 AM   #9
offrdmania

Quote:
Originally Posted by heygawgaw View Post
You say the brushed half link is common, where can I get one?
They pop up on the bay and in the classifieds here quite often. You just have to be on the look-out for them.
Old 26 April 2018, 07:43 AM   #10
Dumas1012
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
That buffed right out! LOL. Good work. Center links are so shiny the reflection makes them look rubbered.
Dumas1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 08:12 AM   #11
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
They pop up on the bay and in the classifieds here quite often. You just have to be on the look-out for them.
First off. Congrats looks great.

For your half link were you able to get it in 904L steel?

Had to get a half link for my TT sub c. They sold it to me but wasn't cheap. Needed it on the other side of the glidelock.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 08:18 AM   #12
offrdmania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post
First off. Congrats looks great.

For your half link were you able to get it in 904L steel?

Had to get a half link for my TT sub c. They sold it to me but wasn't cheap. Needed it on the other side of the glidelock.
Im pretty sure all of the newer solid links are 904L. Older hollow links may be 316.
Old 26 April 2018, 08:25 AM   #13
rogerlu
"TRF" Member

That's really awesome! I have somewhat similar issue. Even with the "proper" watch, RSC still wouldn't sell me an easylink. That part I do not understand.
rogerlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 08:28 AM   #14
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Im pretty sure all of the newer solid links are 904L. Older hollow links may be 316.
Yes, just wondering how tough it was to source a Rolex half link and not an after-market.

If it can be done easily, I'd rather go that route next time then going to my local AD.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 08:30 AM   #15
offrdmania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post
Yes, just wondering how tough it was to source a Rolex half link and not an after-market.

If it can be done easily, I'd rather go that route next time then going to my local AD.
Aftermarket links are junk. The build quality is sub-par and they never fit right. They stick out like a sore thumb compared to the real deal.
Old 26 April 2018, 08:31 AM   #16
offrdmania

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerlu View Post
That's really awesome! I have somewhat similar issue. Even with the "proper" watch, RSC still wouldn't sell me an easylink. That part I do not understand.
You should have seen what it took for me to find a glidelock clasp for my 14060M LOL
Old 26 April 2018, 09:02 AM   #17
DocMorpheus
"TRF" Member

Does the Milgaus come with the easy-link? I was having the same issue with my BLNR. Either a little too tight or a little too loose. I then realized that you can actually adjust the position of the easy-link system inside the clasp. Not the easy-link itself but the position where it sits in the clasp. All you have to do is to release the springbar and move it into one of the three available positions. Worked like a charm. Perfect fit now. I wonder if you tried that before adding the half link.
DocMorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 09:18 AM   #18
offrdmania

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMorpheus View Post
Does the Milgaus come with the easy-link? I was having the same issue with my BLNR. Either a little too tight or a little too loose. I then realized that you can actually adjust the position of the easy-link system inside the clasp. Not the easy-link itself but the position where it sits in the clasp. All you have to do is to release the springbar and move it into one of the three available positions. Worked like a charm. Perfect fit now. I wonder if you tried that before adding the half link.
Yes, it has the easy-link. The problem is that each position is 4mm apart. Its a huge jump. I have tried every combination of positions and at the end of the day, it is most comfortable with the half link.
Old 26 April 2018, 09:41 AM   #19
DocMorpheus
"TRF" Member

It’s great that you found a solution with the half link. I am also obsessed with a well adjusted bracelet. I put my speedy on a strap because I couldn’t get a good fit with the original bracelet and didn’t want to buy an additional clasp with adjustment options for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
16570 Black dial, Tritium
216570 White dial
Speedmaster MOTM
Seamaster Pro 300
Reverso Grande GMT
DocMorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 09:56 AM   #20
ttomczak
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: The Beach
Looks great!!!

If you wind it, it tells pretty good time
(Paul Newman)
ttomczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 10:31 AM   #21
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yes, it has the easy-link. The problem is that each position is 4mm apart.
They're actually 3.5mm, not that it's a huge difference. You can adjust in 1.5mm to 2mm increments by moving the clasp pin adjustment and opening or closing the 5mm Easylink. But, you needed a half-link on the 6-o'clock side of the clasp and no amount of clasp adjustment can fix that. The 7mm Sub half-link is the only solution there.

Only reason I mention this is because I just wrote a response on a similar topic a couple of days ago regarding the Daytona clasp and its adjustment range: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...09#post8514909

Good job on the link polishing, btw.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 10:35 AM   #22
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dblue
Nice job. Enjoy it!
antbkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 11:12 AM   #23
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
Quote:
I think I am spoiled by the Glide Lock on my sub and how it fits near perfectly.
Amen.
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 11:33 AM   #24
offrdmania

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
They're actually 3.5mm, not that it's a huge difference. You can adjust in 1.5mm to 2mm increments by moving the clasp pin adjustment and opening or closing the 5mm Easylink. But, you needed a half-link on the 6-o'clock side of the clasp and no amount of clasp adjustment can fix that. The 7mm Sub half-link is the only solution there.

Only reason I mention this is because I just wrote a response on a similar topic a couple of days ago regarding the Daytona clasp and its adjustment range: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...09#post8514909

Good job on the link polishing, btw.
Yes, the easy-link is in the center position and closed. The half link made the bracelet the perfect size for me
Old 26 April 2018, 08:37 PM   #25
adg31
"TRF" Member

I needed a half link

I had the self same issue with my OP 116000 where having it in the final clasp setting left the bracelet just a bit too tight and a full size link too long.
Although I loved almost everything about the brushed finish and simple 3-6-9 blue dial I'd even thought about flipping it as the poor fit was meaning it got no wrist time.
I then found out about the Half Link which Rolex would not supply as it didn't come as standard when new.
I finally bought a pre-owned Rolex Half Link from WatchFinder on eBay which was perfect and left the watch perfectly sized. I can certainly recommend their customer service based on my experience.
I still find it irritating that Rolex seem to believe that they know what fits my wrist best and force customers into buying via the secondary market - which they are supposedly trying to clamp down on.

adg31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 11:46 PM   #26
offrdmania

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg31 View Post
I had the self same issue with my OP 116000 where having it in the final clasp setting left the bracelet just a bit too tight and a full size link too long.
Although I loved almost everything about the brushed finish and simple 3-6-9 blue dial I'd even thought about flipping it as the poor fit was meaning it got no wrist time.
I then found out about the Half Link which Rolex would not supply as it didn't come as standard when new.
I finally bought a pre-owned Rolex Half Link from WatchFinder on eBay which was perfect and left the watch perfectly sized. I can certainly recommend their customer service based on my experience.
I still find it irritating that Rolex seem to believe that they know what fits my wrist best and force customers into buying via the secondary market - which they are supposedly trying to clamp down on.

Exactly, my wrist isnt the same size as the next guys
Old 27 April 2018, 11:55 AM   #27
OhMy
"TRF" Member

I have a Milgauss and had similar fitting issues. I tried adding and removing links, easy link relocated, easy link open or closed - nothing worked and I couldn't find a half link.

What finally worked was making a lopsided band. I moved a link from the six o'clock side to the twelve side. Now the clasp lays flat on my wrist instead of the hinge poking out putting tension on the band.
OhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 12:13 PM   #28
DanMdR
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP 36
Love my half link! My AD was able to order me one in about a week. He didn’t know about these either, but decided to order a second one to keep around. If anyone needs one, PM me and I can refer you to him.
DanMdR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2018, 12:46 AM   #29
offrdmania

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMdR View Post
Love my half link! My AD was able to order me one in about a week. He didn’t know about these either, but decided to order a second one to keep around. If anyone needs one, PM me and I can refer you to him.
That is fine, its the polished center half link that is hard to come by. Standard brushed half links are available for many models and are quite common.
Old 11 May 2018, 03:10 AM   #30
FiguredMaple
"TRF" Member

Does anyone know the part number for the 1/2 link that will fit a band with an easy link?
FiguredMaple is offline   Reply With Quote