The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 25 April 2018, 06:51 AM   #1
bellesdad0417
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 SD43
Thoughts on a GMT II 16760 as my first vintage

I'm playing around with the idea of adding my first vintage watch and I'm kind of zooming in on the GMT first and the 16760 second.

I'm nervous to get something that very old for instance my birth year (1964) LOL. So I kind of think maybe something 80's wouldn't be to bad (my adult formative years)

Can I get some opinions on this reference or suggestions on maybe something different in a GMT.

What do I really need to look for?
Will a vintage watch be a problem for someone who has larger wrists (+7.5)?
Will I need to send it out to RSC right away if it has no history of service?
Are box and papers to much to ask for in a watch that old?

Thanks for the help
bellesdad0417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 07:06 AM   #2
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellesdad0417 View Post
I'm playing around with the idea of adding my first vintage watch and I'm kind of zooming in on the GMT first and the 16760 second.

I'm nervous to get something that very old for instance my birth year (1964) LOL. So I kind of think maybe something 80's wouldn't be to bad (my adult formative years)

Can I get some opinions on this reference or suggestions on maybe something different in a GMT.

Thanks for the help
1) No it's not a problem for someone with a larger wrist....just make sure you got enough links on the bracelet or you have a strap long enough.

2) You'd probably want to use an independent that's more vintage friendly to ensure no parts are swapped out unnecessarily and to make sure they don't refinish the case if you want to keep it as original as you found it.

3) Not too much to ask, just have to be willing to pay the premium associated with it.

Enjoy the hunt and research the watch meanwhile to learn about the reference, post the watch here and a lot of people here can give you opinions on it when a candidate arrives. Good luck.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 10:06 AM   #3
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
It’s a great idea. The 16760 is a great watch. I prefer the 16710 as I like the Pepsi bezel, and like being able to switch between black and coke bezels. The 16760 only comes with a coke bezel. You’ll find the odd 16760 with a Pepsi on it, but that’s not how’s it supposed to look—if you’re going for true vintage that is.

The 16710 and 16760 have the same functionality as regards the GMT hand. I did the same as you. I’d love to have a birth watch, but they’re harder to find and I prefer the Master II functionality. This, I went with a year that was very personal to me.

Happy hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 10:28 AM   #4
gminnj
"TRF" Member

I’m in the Argonaut’s camp pretty much all the way. Wanted a fully functional GMT hand, and the usual ability to switch bezels. Wound up with a 16710, but I’m also a big fan of 16760 too.

Good luck & enjoy the hunt...
gminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 01:10 PM   #5
bellesdad0417
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks for the help
One additional question I've seen examples with a jubilee bracelet is that correct for this watch?
Old 25 April 2018, 01:20 PM   #6
NKflyer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gminnj View Post
I’m in the Argonaut’s camp pretty much all the way. Wanted a fully functional GMT hand, and the usual ability to switch bezels. Wound up with a 16710, but I’m also a big fan of 16760 too.
While the coke insert is the correct one, the inserts on all the sapphire crystal GMT's (16700, 16710, 16760) are interchangeable so you could switch inserts on a 16760 if one wanted to. I don't think the bezel police would come get you lol!

Quote:
One additional question I've seen examples with a jubilee bracelet is that correct for this watch?
The 16760 was available with a jubilee, the standard 78360 oyster bracelet, or the 93150 fliplock oyster from the submariner. The jubilee bracelets made for GMT's will have the number "50" stamped on the link closest to the endlink.

Nowadays, jubilee bracelets from datejusts are sometimes substituted due to lower cost and wider availability. They fit reasonably well in my opinion, but not as well as the proper GMT bracelet.
NKflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 10:47 AM   #7
bellesdad0417
"TRF" Member

Pending a pictorial review by my esteemed TRF members. Does $13,500 seem a little steep even for a correct mint 1 with no papers. I think it is by about 2.5K high what say you.
Old 27 April 2018, 12:21 AM   #8
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Definitely seems high. Is it completely unpolished? I'd expect a mint example with box and papers to go for around that price.

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote