The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 April 2018, 03:08 PM   #1
t e x
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
<< It's time... >>

Hey Gang,

It's been awhile since I have been on the forum except for the last few days. Boy, my eyes opened up after reading some threads about the sky rocketing prices on some models.

Coincidentally, my 16610LV M serial needs servicing and I have been searching some topics here on TRF. Of course, one of the topics is the good ole to polish or not polish question which have been debated ad nauseam.

I am going to request that my watch be unpolished unless someone can make a good argument to do so as the case has light surface scratches with one minor nick. But it's the caseback that I am mainly wondering about, and hopefully some here can help me out.

The LV has not been worn with the bracelet which is LNIB, stickers and tags still in the box. It has been worn exclusively with various nato's and shows wear on the caseback. Have any of you experienced the same? I am curious if you had a polish done or not? Would you polish an LV regardless of the serial?

Another question I have is regarding Ben Bridge servicing. Met the watchmaker at the Southcenter location in Tukwila, WA and I liked his customer service. I was quoted $675 for a complete overhaul and a crystal replacement at $240. The crystal which has a nick at 7 marker, which I am sitting on the fence regarding replacement. Lastly the watchmaker advised that I will probably need a new tube and crown. Any horror stories out there? Does anyone have any recommendations in the Seattle area? I came across an old thread on independent watchmakers, and a member gave a plug for Tom Nesbit, Nesbit's Watch Service. Has anyone dealt with this outfit?

It would appear that the LV is now underinsured so I'll need an appraisal. was quoted $150 at BB by one of the salesman. Is the cost in line and any experience with BB appraisal? Any recommendations for a good appraiser in the area? The salesman went ahead and filled out some paperwork in anticipation of me bringing the LV to be sent in and he seem to arbitrarily write in $10,000 for the value of the watch head; mentioning that I am going to just write $10,000. On another note, I noticed that BB location lacking in sport models and the salesman and I were discussing that fact when he mentioned how frustrating it is not having various models for sale.

It's good to be back on TRF, I have been out of the loop for to long!

Sorry for such poor quality photos as I did a point and click with my iPhone X. ....and my watch definitely needs cleaning.

Thanks all!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7354.JPG (231.4 KB, 907 views)
File Type: jpg r1.JPG (255.2 KB, 904 views)
t e x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 09:07 PM   #2
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
RSC only in my humble opinion for a piece like the 16610LV. I would not let a non RSC tech go near it. I had my M serial 16610 LV serviced at the RSC here. They did a fantastic job and it was $ 175 more than what you were quoted. That included a scratched bezel replacement.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 11:40 PM   #3
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
RSC only in my humble opinion for a piece like the 16610LV.
x2
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 12:24 AM   #4
David cote
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Watches etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
x2

X3
David cote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 12:54 AM   #5
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
I had my D serial Kermit serviced and requested no polishing. This was a few years ago, but price was $625 for full service. $240 for a crystal replacement seems high. I've had crystals replaced on two watches during a routine service and it was $125 extra. The watch is already apart, so it's not a big deal.

Edit: Both services took place at the Dallas RSC.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 01:01 AM   #6
dafuture
"TRF" Member

I'd go with RSC and no polishing as well. The wear on the caseback isn't ideal, but on the other hand I think a full polish would hurt the value of the watch more.
Old 26 April 2018, 01:05 AM   #7
T01
"TRF" Member

RSC no polish.
T01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 01:30 AM   #8
gt0279a
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
May be worth it to take it off the nato every once and awhile to clean the watch. Looks pretty grimy.

I have had an LV for about 5 years now and like you, mostly on a nato, but my caseback looks new.

Regarding servicing, RSC
Not sure why everyone is allergic to polishing, RSC does great work.
Rolex Sea Dweller 126600 | Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 | Rolex Sea Dweller 16600 | Rolex Submariner 16610 | Rolex Submariner 1680
gt0279a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 04:12 AM   #9
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
Hi Joel.

I would say RSC and no polishing bud.
Old 26 April 2018, 04:21 AM   #10
gttime
"TRF" Member

RSC and light polish? I don’t mind a little touch up in the right hands.
gttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 07:41 AM   #11
t e x
"TRF" Member

Hi All,

I really appreciate the feedback thus far from the TRF'r's I still remember and those who have become members since my hiatus.

So far it appears to be a slam dunk! I am leaning towards an RSC to do the overhaul and might have to send it to Big D since I'm an E Texan.
I actually responded to a current thread under the title, "Ben Bridge - Seattle - 4th," asking for help. Was/am hoping those who view would jump here to provide feedback so as not to hijack the OP's thread. I did get a couple of recommendations to have Tom over at Nesbits do the work, and that they provide a 30 month warranty. Just one recommendation so far for a BB location in Tacoma. Interestingly, the RSC locator website shows both the 4th Ave and Southcenter location as a service center.

Now I have another question. Does the actual RSC email(s), paperwork/card, and any other markings that may be added inside a caseback one receives due to an overhaul add more provenance and value versus what a "service center" or independent watchmaker may add?

Regarding the crystal replacement. Should it be done? Obviously it would be documented by the service per my question above. Does one need to disclose that there is a service crystal If one were ever to part with their watch for some type of gain? Forgive me if this has been discussed before, but I'd like to learn the proper etiquette. Both the watchmaker and salesman at the BB says who has to know when I asked this question.

Please keep the responses coming as I want the spa treatment this beaut deserves and of course to maintain the model's pricing appreciation.

Best!
Old 26 April 2018, 07:56 AM   #12
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

no polish, originality is one of the best reasons why i like rolex
EdwardC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 08:11 AM   #13
t e x
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
RSC only in my humble opinion for a piece like the 16610LV. I would not let a non RSC tech go near it. I had my M serial 16610 LV serviced at the RSC here. They did a fantastic job and it was $ 175 more than what you were quoted. That included a scratched bezel replacement.
This is the kind of info I am looking for.

Is there any horror stories out there?

Thank you for watching my back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex addict View Post
I had my D serial Kermit serviced and requested no polishing. This was a few years ago, but price was $625 for full service. $240 for a crystal replacement seems high. I've had crystals replaced on two watches during a routine service and it was $125 extra. The watch is already apart, so it's not a big deal.

Edit: Both services took place at the Dallas RSC.
Thanks Chad for your input and testimonial. I had thought the crystal replacement quote was a little excessive after reading some older threads here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafuture View Post
I'd go with RSC and no polishing as well. The wear on the caseback isn't ideal, but on the other hand I think a full polish would hurt the value of the watch more.
My thinking as well. I will continue to wear this timepiece on nato's and I do not see the wear. Why would I want more metal taken off at this juncture...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt0279a View Post
May be worth it to take it off the nato every once and awhile to clean the watch. Looks pretty grimy.

I have had an LV for about 5 years now and like you, mostly on a nato, but my caseback looks new.

Nice one Steve! Would you believe I ran out of Dawn

The wear on the back started to occur within the first year. The straps are abrasive after all and I’d like to hear from other nato wearers.

Regarding servicing, RSC
Not sure why everyone is allergic to polishing, RSC does great work.
Have you had an RSC polish a sports model that has and is going up in value? What about a 16610V? Love to get some thoughts here for and why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny View Post
Hi Joel.

I would say RSC and no polishing bud.
Yo Johny, Bazinga! Been a long time bud. I may have been MIA, but I have thought about you guys! Thanks for the feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by gttime View Post
RSC and light polish? I don’t mind a little touch up in the right hands.
Love to hear your thoughts on having an LV polished and what it may do to the value if anything.

Thanks all
Old 26 April 2018, 10:35 AM   #14
Sket7
Banned

Watch: 116500, 116610LV
RSC and no polish
Sket7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 10:50 AM   #15
79280_116520
"TRF" Member

Nesbit is well known for servicing Omegas, not sure about Rolex.

My rule of thumb when it comes to servicing: the watch MUST go to either a RSC or independent (ex. authorized SC) with Rolex parts account.

No AD will ever service my Rolexes, unless I want to either: 1) pay too much for the AD's substandard servicing or 2) eagerly looking for a blotched job to "share" on the forum.
79280_116520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 11:37 AM   #16
TheRolexKingofLV
"TRF" Member

Welcome back Joel, and keep those posts comin'!
Old 27 April 2018, 03:06 AM   #17
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
Hi J.

re the new crystal...

You might get lucky and they fit an a/r cyclops crystal for you bud.

Ask them about it.

Bazinga...
Old 27 April 2018, 03:15 AM   #18
t e x
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t e x View Post
Hi All,

I really appreciate the feedback thus far from the TRF'r's I still remember and those who have become members since my hiatus.

So far it appears to be a slam dunk! I am leaning towards an RSC to do the overhaul and might have to send it to Big D since I'm an E Texan.
I actually responded to a current thread under the title, "Ben Bridge - Seattle - 4th," asking for help. Was/am hoping those who view would jump here to provide feedback so as not to hijack the OP's thread. I did get a couple of recommendations to have Tom over at Nesbits do the work, and that they provide a 30 month warranty. Just one recommendation so far for a BB location in Tacoma. Interestingly, the RSC locator website shows both the 4th Ave and Southcenter location as a service center.

Now I have another question. Does the actual RSC email(s), paperwork/card, and any other markings that may be added inside a caseback one receives due to an overhaul add more provenance and value versus what a "service center" or independent watchmaker may add?

Regarding the crystal replacement. Should it be done? Obviously it would be documented by the service per my question above. Does one need to disclose that there is a service crystal If one were ever to part with their watch for some type of gain? Forgive me if this has been discussed before, but I'd like to learn the proper etiquette. Both the watchmaker and salesman at the BB says who has to know when I asked this question.

Please keep the responses coming as I want the spa treatment this beaut deserves and of course to maintain the model's pricing appreciation.

Best!
Hello all again, I will not have my watch head polished. However I still need guidance on the crystal questions and the question about RSC service card, email correspondence, and any caseback markings that add provenance versus work elsewhere?

If a crystal replacement does not devalue the Kermit, will an a/r cyclops crystal devalue the watch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny View Post
Hi J.

re the new crystal...

You might get lucky and they fit an a/r cyclops crystal for you bud.

Ask them about it.

Bazinga...
Yo Johny, and that was a question that came up right after I submitted my last questions. Glad I caught you before heading out the door for work! ...I knew you'd like that Bazinga ....have a great day!

Many thanks!
Old 27 April 2018, 04:01 AM   #19
t e x
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRolexKingofLV View Post
Welcome back Joel, and keep those posts comin'!
Thanks King!
Old 27 April 2018, 04:35 AM   #20
116710er
"TRF" Member

Watch: yer six.
I've had the same problem with using NATO straps. NATO straps, especially with a mixture of dirt/grit/sweat is pretty abrasive. I would have them just brush that out, it's the caseback so no biggie. I would then use one of those caseback stickers (with the red line or whatnot) on the casebacks. I believe you can buy these in quantity and just replace them as necessary. Granted, I probably wouldn't wear a Kermit (at least as a daily beater) at this point.
116710er is offline   Reply With Quote