The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: My local dealer is charging over sticker
Yes 25 16.34%
No 128 83.66%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27 April 2018, 03:41 AM   #31
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
In US and UK this was very much verboten with Rolex, but as this is actually a way of weeding out flippers maybe Rolex are softening on this, altho an official price rise would surely be a more sensible and cohesive strategy. This looking the other way will just lead to resentments with both customers and ADs.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 04:29 AM   #32
liuk3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
I voted yes. Per what Padi said, MSRP is Manufacturer "Suggested" Retail Price. They set a standard and provide a baseline in the market. The AD has already purchased the watch from Rolex and technically can charge whatever they like. I get that Rolex prefer the ADs use MSRP......but it is a free market. Everyone is up in arms when an AD charges more for a hot/harder to allocate watch but also wants a discount whenever possible when buying. Come to gripes on reality please, it doesn't work both ways.
I think that this was the question for the poll (see poll itself at top): "My local dealer is charging over sticker?"

In other words, I think the poll is asking if you know of your local AD charging over MSRP, not whether the AD has the ability to charge over MSRP.
Old 27 April 2018, 04:47 AM   #33
DPE
"TRF" Member

Depends on the wording from Rolex. 'The Retail Price', then the price is the price or lower but Not higher. If it is 'Recommended or Suggested' then price can be up or down. However an element of Professional Selling and Credibility of the Dealer comes into the equation.
DPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 04:50 AM   #34
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
My AD here in the USA told me that they are NOT allowed as per their licensing agreement to sell over MSRP. This may not apply to AD's out of the country.
Old 27 April 2018, 04:57 AM   #35
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liuk3 View Post
I think that this was the question for the poll (see poll itself at top): "My local dealer is charging over sticker?"

In other words, I think the poll is asking if you know of your local AD charging over MSRP, not whether the AD has the ability to charge over MSRP.
Ahhh OK. In that case it comes down to how you view the situation. Around me, I know ADs will only sell you the hot stainless sports stuff like Daytonas and Sky Dwellers if you have buying history or purchase PM from them. So does that count as a premium over sticker? Depends on how you look at it I guess, since they are technically charging you MSRP for the stainless sport but forcing you to buy another watch. I don't think it's preferable and am glad I have buying history with these ADs....but I understand these tactics as a business owner in the current environment.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 05:18 AM   #36
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Here's a good idea...

ADs should simply have a 'party auction' and auction off their hot pieces. This is fair to all their customers as highest paying customer 'wins' AD's hot pieces. It'll keep flippers away because, well, you know why.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 11:47 AM   #37
tmo8320
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126600 Mark I dial
I just bought my first watch ever on Monday - got lucky and our local AD down the street got a 126600 Red Sea-Dweller. I paid exactly sticker price (plus local sales tax) and not a penny more. My sales rep was very clear that they would not risk an incident with the mother ship (by doing anything like charging above sticker).

Last edited by tmo8320; 27 April 2018 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: Spelling / grammar
tmo8320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 01:10 PM   #38
fishingbear
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMTsSubLVEx2SDDayt
Nope. It appears we have entered the days of patiently waiting and happy to pay retail.
fishingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 01:39 PM   #39
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
If authorized dealers can charge what they want then how are
Gray dealers staying in business?

I mean I know but it kinda doesn’t make any logical sense.
Just to sell the hot models to the Gray Market so they
can get rid of the boring DJ’s nobody wants ...
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 02:51 PM   #40
korneevy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, VC, RLX, BP
Rolex does not allow ADs to sell over the sticker - that’s what their trusted scalper friends are for. if anyone is doing that, report them to Rolex and they will have a talk about pulling their AD status (may be).
korneevy is offline   Reply With Quote