The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 27 April 2018, 03:53 AM   #1
debner4
"TRF" Member

The myth over correcting date by crown versus pusher...

I have often read that having pushers to correct the date (or in more complicated watches, moonphase and day/month too), was inferior to being able to do those corrections via the crown. However, in my experience, particularly with watches with a screw-down crown, I completely disagree.

The advantage to perpetual calendar and annual calendar watches over those with dates without those complications, is that you don't have to go through the trouble of resetting the date after months with less than 31 days (notwithstanding the romanticism of the function). While I am one who does get annoyed at having to re-set the date on my watches where I have to unscrew the crown to do so, I have found that it is virtually irrelevant to me on watches with pushers.

For instance, to set the date on a watch via the crown, I need to unscrew the crown, pull out the crown to the proper setting, and then rotate the correct number of days, push back the crown and re-screw in the crown. Clearly a 1st world problem, but nonetheless annoying, especially with multiple watches. However, I have found that on my watches with pusher correctors, all I have to do is grab my corrector "pen" that I keep in my watch winder case, push the corrector 2 times (other than on March 1st when its 3 times) and then put my pen back in my watch case. It takes approximately 2 seconds to complete the task, does not increase the wear and tear on the winding stem (the most vulnerable part of the watch), and is a complete non-chore.

For any mechanical watch with a date function, I would choose pushers over crown adjustment 100 out of 100 times, yet several different watch "reviews" often point out pushers as being a negative.

By way of this post, I am starting the Pro-Pusher Movement! Who's with me?

debner4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 04:09 AM   #2
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

i don't mind the pushers for complications. When its a pusher just for the date, then its annoying. Especially if you didn't bring a tool with you and you notice the date is wrong.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 04:16 AM   #3
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
i When its a pusher just for the date, then its annoying.
This. That said, still not as annoying as lack of a quickset at all, a la AP 15202.

As an aside, does anyone actually use the PP supplied stylus? I'm afraid of using mine in case my hands slip and scratch the case. I use a wooden toothpick instead.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 04:21 AM   #4
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
This. That said, still not as annoying as lack of a quickset at all, a la AP 15202.

As an aside, does anyone actually use the PP supplied stylus? I'm afraid of using mine in case my hands slip and scratch the case. I use a wooden toothpick instead.
i use it, but its terrifying. Why they didn't engineer a pusher without a sharp point at the end is beyond me. It could be non metal and still work.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 27 April 2018, 04:21 AM   #5
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by debner4 View Post
I have often read that having pushers to correct the date (or in more complicated watches, moonphase and day/month too), was inferior to being able to do those corrections via the crown. However, in my experience, particularly with watches with a screw-down crown, I completely disagree.

The advantage to perpetual calendar and annual calendar watches over those with dates without those complications, is that you don't have to go through the trouble of resetting the date after months with less than 31 days (notwithstanding the romanticism of the function). While I am one who does get annoyed at having to re-set the date on my watches where I have to unscrew the crown to do so, I have found that it is virtually irrelevant to me on watches with pushers.

For instance, to set the date on a watch via the crown, I need to unscrew the crown, pull out the crown to the proper setting, and then rotate the correct number of days, push back the crown and re-screw in the crown. Clearly a 1st world problem, but nonetheless annoying, especially with multiple watches. However, I have found that on my watches with pusher correctors, all I have to do is grab my corrector "pen" that I keep in my watch winder case, push the corrector 2 times (other than on March 1st when its 3 times) and then put my pen back in my watch case. It takes approximately 2 seconds to complete the task, does not increase the wear and tear on the winding stem (the most vulnerable part of the watch), and is a complete non-chore.

For any mechanical watch with a date function, I would choose pushers over crown adjustment 100 out of 100 times, yet several different watch "reviews" often point out pushers as being a negative.

By way of this post, I am starting the Pro-Pusher Movement! Who's with me?

You need to remember you can’t use pushers during danger zones which typically extend to many hours. Not everyone wants to keep a perpetual on a winder or worn and crown setting is quicker and easier - you can also go forwards or backwards.
One big advantage of doing everything through the crown is the ability to keep the watch watertight. A 200m water resistant perpetual calendar is not possible with pushers. Horses for courses but clearly the new 5740 required a lot of work to make the pushers connect with the movement, it would of been so much easier with everything working through the crown.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 04:27 AM   #6
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
You need to remember you can’t use pushers during danger zones which typically extend to many hours. Not everyone wants to keep a perpetual on a winder or worn and crown setting is quicker and easier.
One big advantage of doing everything through the crown is the ability to keep the watch watertight. A 200m water resistant perpetual calendar is not possible with pushers. Horses for courses but clearly the new 5740 required a lot of work to make the pushers connect with the movement, it would of been so much easier with everything working through the crown.
i do think once you get multiple pusher holes all over the sides of the case for a more complicated piece it detracts from the appearance. All of these beautiful polished or brushed surfaces broken up by holes.

The AP RO PC is an example where the holes detract quite a bit from the appearance
Old 27 April 2018, 04:45 AM   #7
OP15
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I use it and it scares me every single time. It reminds me of playing the game, Operation, as a kid...so afraid to slip.
OP15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 04:50 AM   #8
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Agree, check dial time to AVOID those Patek danger hours, then use pushers.

Sooo don't miss the 3970 and the pusher ritual. Patek needs to create something more modern like the SkyD's movement, which has been my daily beater for many months/trips worldwide. Just unscrew crown, move bezel and have fun. No tools needed. So awesome with jump-hour to go fwd or back in time / date.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 04:50 AM   #9
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
remember that if you only use pushers when you are setting the watch, you run the risk of setting the watch in PM hours instead of the morning or vice versa depending a what time are you setting your watch. And now you have a watch changing date at noon instead of midnight. So I always stop using pushers at the end and finish up with the crown to avoid this. (everyone do this , I will assume )

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 05:02 AM   #10
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
What are the danger hours for the date pin on the 5164? I always set my watches to 6:30 when setting the date out of habit.
Old 27 April 2018, 05:22 AM   #11
henry333
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
Hope you don't have a manual wind watch... you would have to wind it. Lol
henry333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 05:26 AM   #12
Tay821
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This is one of the reasons I don;t completely regret letting mine go
Tay821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 06:01 AM   #13
martinr
"TRF" Member

For more than one day I always use the stylus and set the time to 5:30 am. Wood toothpick isn’t good, it can break and leave a little piece in the pusher. I wonder does anyone read the instructions?
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 06:40 AM   #14
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
For more than one day I always use the stylus and set the time to 5:30 am. Wood toothpick isn’t good, it can break and leave a little piece in the pusher. I wonder does anyone read the instructions?
Ok I read the friggin manual

It is just as I had thought.

The date correction mechanism is blocked between
10 p.m. and 2 a.m. If you need to change the date, please do
so between 2 a.m. and 10 p.m
Old 27 April 2018, 11:23 AM   #15
A3MED
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tay821 View Post
this is one of the reasons i don;t completely regret letting mine go
+1
A3MED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 12:10 PM   #16
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Agree to the 15202, annoying in a rotation.

I always felt the correctors were kinda a failure in that they couldn’t engineer the movement and those complications to work with a crown. Kinda like easy way out. Maybe I’m way off
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 12:23 PM   #17
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post

I always felt the correctors were kinda a failure in that they couldn’t engineer the movement and those complications to work with a crown. Kinda like easy way out. Maybe I’m way off
Oh, absolutely.
Old 27 April 2018, 12:42 PM   #18
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:

I use a wood toothpick. Set to 6:30am first.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 02:10 PM   #19
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post

I suspect you’re right on the money.
Old 27 April 2018, 04:56 PM   #20
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
i don't mind the pushers for complications. When its a pusher just for the date, then its annoying. ....
see 5524:::(((
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 05:45 PM   #21
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam66 View Post
yep
Old 27 April 2018, 09:51 PM   #22
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Or 5712
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 10:19 PM   #23
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 11:21 PM   #24
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
I wonder does anyone read the instructions?
Good point. For the 3970 i photocopied a diagram from the owner's manual. It was a small 'cheat sheet' and came in handy, though over time i instinctively knew which pusher did what. As they say, RTFM.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote