The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 April 2018, 05:57 AM   #121
rodo
"TRF" Member

I had that happen on a breitling once. Fixed under warranty. I agree this is ridiculous. Demand a refund.
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 06:13 AM   #122
TickTockChuck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
Sorry to hear of your problem with such a new watch. I've always wondered if something like that would happen to me, especially when the stem is stiff, but lucky so far. Should go back to your local RSC for service. Would be nice if the AD offered you something nice to smooth things over such as the next DaytonaC or SS BLRO. Hope it all works out. Good luck. Cheers!
TickTockChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 06:15 AM   #123
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryten View Post

All these demands should get anyone making them shown the door. Troublesome customers can go and trouble someone else in my opinion.
I get your point, it's the wrong word. I think while everyone is saying "demand," they really mean "accept nothing less." It's the same thing.

As to your other point, I'm not adverse to discounting, but if my client isn't asking for it, I'm not volunteering it.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 06:15 AM   #124
dseig001
"TRF" Member

Watch: Plat Dd
Quote:
Originally Posted by TickTockChuck View Post
Sorry to hear of your problem with such a new watch. The Smurf really is a beauty though. Should go back to your local RSC. Would be nice if they offered you something nice to smooth things over such as the next DaytonaC or SS BLRO. Hope it all works out. Good luck. Cheers!

One of the reasons I bought the watch this way was to get to the top of the list for both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dseig001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 06:16 AM   #125
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Looks like you unscrewed it from the stem..

How many times did you twist it.

Take it to the Beverly Hills RSC, they will probably screw it back on for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
X2
I'm a bit confused here. I manually wind my watches when trying them on and I will frequently do 60 ratchets back and forth. I've also had a crown fall off a watch but it was during the setting process when moving the hands. I'm not quite certain what is meant by this. Please explain.

Thanks!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 06:21 AM   #126
datejustrms
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I would have gone scorched earth if that happened to me.
datejustrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 06:25 AM   #127
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I’m sorry you got unlucky with your beautiful new watch, and I’m sorry you got some ridiculously snarky, mean, judgmental responses here. I am truly embarrassed to read a few of the responses.

Things happen, and RSC Beverly Hills will likely sort this right out. Good luck!

Old 27 April 2018, 06:34 AM   #128
TickTockChuck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by dseig001 View Post
One of the reasons I bought the watch this way was to get to the top of the list for both.

I fully understand and hope they will accommodate you in the waiting lists and get your Smurf quickly fixed. Good luck and hope it all works out. Cheers!
TickTockChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 06:44 AM   #129
adg31
"TRF" Member

Sooo... the crown fell out on my 2 day old smurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryten View Post
A manufacturing defect is the responsibility of the Manufacturer to rectify. The retailer will assist, but the buck stops at the feet of the Manufacturer. This looks like a simple case of the crown coming off the crown stem and RSC will repair it (and with a little back story, probably on the spot).

I understood that legally your contract was with the AD not with the manufacturer. As such, it is the responsibility of the AD to put it right. Once you go direct to the manufacturer and they do any work on your item I believe that this responsibility is voided.
For this reason I'd push for a refund / replacement from the AD at this stage - just my £0.02 for what it's worth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
adg31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 06:49 AM   #130
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Sorry to hear about the issue, guess by now you have heard all the options you have available to deal with the issue. Rolex are great watches, but as said above manufacturing / assembly errors can always occur; soon the issue will be solved one way or the other and you will be happy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 07:02 AM   #131
gregmoeck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
40k for a watch and it breaks lol
gregmoeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 07:47 AM   #132
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM0127 View Post
That's your first problem. Wanting to be the big guy. [words] I've been where you've been sir. It's hard when you lose it all.
Sorry you've been through some rough times but don't you think you're being kinda harsh here? OP did nothing wrong (buying at retail is not a crime last I checked) and has a busted watch...maybe some sympathy would be more welcome.
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 07:47 AM   #133
Rose Gold
"TRF" Member

Watch: er in the rye
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaAndSky View Post
Brother, I know that's a big bummer, but that's a beautiful watch. I would laugh it off and accept that nothing man makes is perfect. Send it in to the RSC and enjoy that beauty for the rest of your days.
Old 27 April 2018, 08:06 AM   #134
Rose Gold
"TRF" Member

Watch: er in the rye
Some of the responses here are stunningly over the top. Demand your money back? Go nuclear? Pitch a fit? Scream and bitch?

Folks... for goodness sake, this is a watch. Just a watch. A physical thing made by man, completely out of the control of the AD. Why be a prick to the AD? Why be a prick at all? Are we so special because we are wealthy enough to wear a Rolex watch that we can toss out our humanity? Over a watch? Really?

How about we (as thankfully quite a few people have) recommend that the OP act like an adult homo sapien with a functional developed prefrontal lobe, and take the watch into the RSC and get it fixed.

Like a few others, I am sometimes embarrassed by the behaviors of my species. I remain hopeful that those on this forum who recommended anger and demands as an acceptable solution to the problem are really 12 year olds using mommy and daddy’s computer.

Joe
Old 27 April 2018, 08:17 AM   #135
liuk3
"TRF" Member

Yeah, I have to agree that some of the posts are over the top. One of my pet peeves is people acting with a sense of entitlement. Crazy. This is really no big deal and easy to address since the OP lives local to an RSC.
Old 27 April 2018, 08:29 AM   #136
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
I suppose it's being kind to view this thread as an example of brotherly quarreling, but given the level of judgment and recrimination aimed at the OP for simply trying to enjoy his buying experience, I wouldn't blame him for leaving in disgust.
Brothers wasn't the first word that sprung to mind but Shakespeare is Shakespeare and diplomacy was the better part now the thread had calmed down a bit.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 08:33 AM   #137
Sarosh
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
OP, sorry to hear this has happened, hope it doesn’t dampen the fact that you have an absolute stunner of a watch and a grail for many of us. A simple trip to the RSC where you are, and you’ll be enjoying the heft of that beauty for many years to come. I hope it all works out for you

“It’s a watch, it tells time. Not much else”
Sarosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 08:34 AM   #138
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodo View Post
I had that happen on a breitling once. Fixed under warranty. I agree this is ridiculous. Demand a refund.
I had a Breitling Avenger Skyland, some 7 years ago. Less than a week into ownership the entire bezel just popped off. Never bought another Breitling after that.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 08:53 AM   #139
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
I can relate to some extent. It happened to me on the very first day of purchase, the crown and stem came out. It was a 2k Longines though, so a lot less upsetting. Nonetheless it was limited and discontinued, no replacement could be found.

Was offered a refund or a repair. Decided to have it fixed. Under close inspection at 10x the stem wasn't broken according to the AD, just a problem of having unscrewed itself from the movement, a manual wound calibre with no over winding protection. Someone before me must have pushed the winding a bit too far, I suspect the AD himself did it as "he had it fully wound up for me to pick it up" according to his colleague.

Can't be the case with your Sub though thanks to its built-in protection. I'd ask for a refund considering what you paid for it and the fact that you can easily find another one. I don't see any reason to have it repaired.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 08:59 AM   #140
Watch@ddict
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT2C/LVC/SSYM1/Da
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
please tell me you didn't pay 37k....

What he said...

Old 27 April 2018, 09:05 AM   #141
Psijason
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seamster 300 Green
Totally nuts!!!! Hope this gets fixed ASAP!!
Psijason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 09:15 AM   #142
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

I had a chrono pusher come off a new IWC I bought at Wempe in NYC. They fixed it in-house while I waited. Never had a problem again. Hopefully it will be a quick fix. Very unlike Rolex. Their qc is usually quite good.
yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 09:22 AM   #143
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Brothers wasn't the first word that sprung to mind but Shakespeare is Shakespeare and diplomacy was the better part now the thread had calmed down a bit.
I admire your decorum.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 09:28 AM   #144
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Man , I’m so sorry ...
I’ve never heard of that either.
That’s what I’d call ”Smurfed Out” !!!
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 09:32 AM   #145
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: This and that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dseig001 View Post

Well at least now you are in a great position to ask for that favor and be put on top of their list in lieu of an apology. I think there is often a way to turn a bad situation in an advantageous way. Patience and diplomacy often pays off.
Fabrice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 09:33 AM   #146
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
This would never happen with a Patek 5522.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 09:34 AM   #147
Babington
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC Date
Wow

Babington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 09:37 AM   #148
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
This would never happen with a Patek 5522.
Then it's a good thing he didn't post this in the Patek forum.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 09:51 AM   #149
gregmoeck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Gold View Post
Some of the responses here are stunningly over the top. Demand your money back? Go nuclear? Pitch a fit? Scream and bitch?

Folks... for goodness sake, this is a watch. Just a watch. A physical thing made by man, completely out of the control of the AD. Why be a prick to the AD? Why be a prick at all? Are we so special because we are wealthy enough to wear a Rolex watch that we can toss out our humanity? Over a watch? Really?

How about we (as thankfully quite a few people have) recommend that the OP act like an adult homo sapien with a functional developed prefrontal lobe, and take the watch into the RSC and get it fixed.

Like a few others, I am sometimes embarrassed by the behaviors of my species. I remain hopeful that those on this forum who recommended anger and demands as an acceptable solution to the problem are really 12 year olds using mommy and daddy’s computer.

Joe
If you bought a $500,000 car and the transmition went out on day two would you let them fix it or demand a new car?
gregmoeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 10:06 AM   #150
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmoeck View Post
If you bought a $500,000 car and the transmition went out on day two would you let them fix it or demand a new car?
Exactly. This is the kind of extreme example that runs through my head when I think about "why shouldn't I be okay with letting them fix it?" A car's transmission blowing out and Rolex crown falling off may not be analogous, but they evoke the same type of reaction for something that was just purchased.

If something went wrong this early on with any purchase (whether its a $100 electric shaver or a $40K Rolex), I would always have the worry in my head that something else might be wrong with the item too. I don't want to sound dramatic -- not saying "OMG the crown fell out, this must be a Rolex lemon" but I'd surely have my concerns. It's just not something you want to have to deal with buying something brand new, but is especially true with a purchase like this watch.

If it was me, I'd return the watch and get a new one. If the AD isn't okay with that, I'd return it and buy another one from a local AD. I'm not going to sit here and lecture the OP on how to spend his money and how he should not be paying MSRP for this watch. That's entirely his call.
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote