The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 August 2014, 02:21 PM   #31
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dblue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
Ceramic is not scratch-proof. It can happen and has happened.

Does Rolex even market their ceramic bezels as scratch-proof or is it just a rumor that started on the internet?
Rolex markets it as "Cerachrom bezel insert in a ceramic virtually impervious to scratches and ultraviolet rays"
antbkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2014, 02:28 PM   #32
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex Dude View Post
Rolex markets it as "Cerachrom bezel insert in a ceramic virtually impervious to scratches and ultraviolet rays"
I just got this from Rolex.com

Quote:
BEZEL
Unidirectional rotatable 60-minute graduated, scratch-resistant Cerachrom insert in ceramic, numerals and graduations coated in platinum
It's true. The bezel is scratch-resistant, but not scratch-proof. I don't know where people got that idea from. Like I said, a ceramic bezel can scratch and people have scratched them. I don't see what the big deal is. If it scratches, it scratches.

For what it's worth, I'd say that the aluminum bezels are fairly scratch-resistant, too.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2014, 02:32 PM   #33
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Quote:

It's true. The bezel is scratch-resistant, but not scratch-proof. I don't know where people got that idea from. Like I said, a ceramic bezel can scratch and people have scratched them. I don't see what the big deal is. If it scratches, it scratches.

For what it's worth, I'd say that the aluminum bezels are fairly scratch-resistant, too.
i got my quote from rolex.com as well. New sea dweller description. Go figure. http://m.rolex.com/watches/baselworl...ller-4000.html

Here's a thread I found from 2008 that looks to be a scratched ceramic bezel on a gmt
http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=88276
Old 8 August 2014, 02:48 PM   #34
alubin
"TRF" Member

Watch: All please!
2+ years of daily wear and not a scratch. Can't say the same for the rest of my sub but I can't imagine another watch taking a beating as well and looking so good in the process and after. It's really quite impressive.
alubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2014, 02:54 PM   #35
Thatguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PAM
I wonder if there was this debate on the net when the sapphire crystal came out! ;) I have a scratch on my crystal but not my bezel. Although I know it can happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2014, 03:44 PM   #36
sierra11b
"TRF" Member

Watch: MkXVIII, 3570.50
I don't have any photo proof but did part with it right away with a trusted TRF seller in trade. Sure I took a substantial hit with it being just outside of warranty, but I got instant gratification from my trade for a 216570. I'm not against ceramic but it should be noted that I don't own any at the moment.

Although it's not Rolex, my buddy owns a scratched 8500 PO insert as I type this. He slipped and fell in a public restroom... I give him grief on all recent purchases asking if it's tile proof?
sierra11b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2014, 05:26 PM   #37
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
To quote Rolex themselves "it is virtually impervious to scratches"
Thats almost like stating how long is a piece of string but the ceramic inserts like all materials hit it hard enough it will scratch and even shatter.There has been a few reports on forum of scratching and breaking ceramic inserts, even a few reports coming off and getting lost.Then afraid its quite expensive to replace and that's the downside of ceramic.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2014, 05:28 PM   #38
DK3
"TRF" Member

Just look at pictures of pre-owned GMT ceramics on Ebay where the triangle is on the bezel and you will see many scratched bezels
DK3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2014, 05:35 PM   #39
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:

Have to agree with one of my SDs used a a tool watch for many years and used and often abused not like today's mainly pampered watches.This watch spent well over 600 hours underwater both fresh and salt.And after many years was not really badly scratched but had one ding by the pearl.But I was up London visiting a friend off forum and killing time before we met up.So made a visit to Rolex St James and while there had my insert changed cost just then Ł27 not bad for almost 6 years of hard work as a working tool.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 8 August 2014, 06:51 PM   #40
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Thats almost like stating how long is a piece of string but the ceramic inserts like all materials hit it hard enough it will scratch and even shatter.There has been a few reports on forum of scratching and breaking ceramic inserts, even a few reports coming off and getting lost.Then afraid its quite expensive to replace and that's the downside of ceramic.
Agreed; it's just like saying that it can be scratched, but not easily.
Have to say that in 6 years of not always careful use, I've yet to make the tiniest mark on a ceramic insert even after some fairly hard whacks.
Old 8 August 2014, 09:50 PM   #41
gwozhog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leicashot View Post
Please prove otherwise.....
Uh boy here we go again with non believers of the all might ceramic bezel. Its very easy to scratch a ceramic bezel. All you have to do is fly off a motorcycle at 50 mph and slide on some hot Texas pavement. I almost lost my arm to obtain this proof but dammit i saved my Rolex in this crash. I even got a nice ride in a helicopter to the hospital that day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (62.9 KB, 954 views)
Old 8 August 2014, 09:52 PM   #42
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwozhog View Post
Uh boy here we go again with non believers of the all might ceramic bezel. Its very easy to scratch a ceramic bezel. All you have to do is fly off a motorcycle at 50 mph and slide on some hot Texas pavement. I almost lost my arm to obtain this proof but dammit i saved my Rolex in this crash. I even got a nice ride in a helicopter to the hospital that day.
A true Rolexian!
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2014, 09:53 PM   #43
irish john
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex ,PP
the ceramic bezel is like the sapphire crystals ,,,scratch resistant ,,, not indestructible
irish john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2014, 09:58 PM   #44
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwozhog View Post
First very sorry about your accident but glad you lived to tell the tale.But any impact is how the impact blow lands that's what causes the damage.Now if the dial and watch head landed dial down then scraped along the road. Then no matter the material the damage would have been a lot worst.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 8 August 2014, 10:13 PM   #45
Tseg
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
Kind of like silicone...well, never mind.

Between the ceramic bezel and sapphire crystal: Business in the front, party in the back.

Tseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2014, 12:24 AM   #46
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Have to agree with one of my SDs used a a tool watch for many years and used and often abused not like today's mainly pampered watches.This watch spent well over 600 hours underwater both fresh and salt.And after many years was not really badly scratched but had one ding by the pearl.But I was up London visiting a friend off forum and killing time before we met up.So made a visit to Rolex St James and while there had my insert changed cost just then Ł27 not bad for almost 6 years of hard work as a working tool.
The ceramic bezel is 3-4x more expensive to replace, but it is something that really should never need to be replaced unless you break it (it can happen, but you would need to whack it very hard).

The big problem with the ceramic bezels, in my opinion, was that if your pearl fell out, you needed to replace the entire insert. Now, Rolex has come up with a tool to replace the pearl so this is a non-issue.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2014, 12:30 AM   #47
siuhen
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT- BLNR
not a hairline scratch. Much better than the older models which would discolor
siuhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2014, 01:12 AM   #48
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
Quote:
Originally Posted by cht View Post
these watches aren't going to age well I imagine...

the entire watch will be patina'd but the bezel will look brand new.

Which parts are going to age, the superluminova? The Steel? The laquered dial? I'm not worried about this at all. I like my watch to look nice and new, the bezel will help achieve that.

Quote:
i got my quote from rolex.com as well. New sea dweller description. Go figure. http://m.rolex.com/watches/baselworl...ller-4000.html

Here's a thread I found from 2008 that looks to be a scratched ceramic bezel on a gmt
http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=88276
Yes, they CAN scratch, but come on, one example from 2008??? Do you know how many members have ceramic inserts on this forum? Thousands! Don't you think it would be plastered all over the site if they were getting routinely scratched?

I have a 10 year old fully ceramic Rado, that has seen plenty of use over the years, and it is completely spotless. This comes down to how you treat your possessions as well. If you are careful, the ceramic should last a lifetime... or two!
sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2014, 01:21 AM   #49
sco
"TRF" Member

Double post

Last edited by sco; 9 August 2014 at 01:30 AM.. Reason: Whoops
Old 9 August 2014, 01:28 AM   #50
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sco View Post
Yes, they CAN scratch, but come on, one example from 2008??? Do you know how many members have ceramic inserts on this forum? Thousands! Don't you think it would be plastered all over the site if they were getting routinely scratched?
i agree 100% and feel the ceramic bezel is an excellent upgrade.
Old 9 August 2014, 01:31 AM   #51
sco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
i agree 100% and feel the ceramic bezel is an excellent upgrade.
Couldn't have said it better myself!
Old 9 August 2014, 01:34 AM   #52
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by siuhen View Post
not a hairline scratch. Much better than the older models which would discolor
Have a few black 20 plus years old and show no signs of discolour,its the red/blue pepsi ones that used to fade but even that took many years.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 9 August 2014, 01:39 AM   #53
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
The ceramic bezel is 3-4x more expensive to replace, but it is something that really should never need to be replaced unless you break it (it can happen, but you would need to whack it very hard).

The big problem with the ceramic bezels, in my opinion, was that if your pearl fell out, you needed to replace the entire insert. Now, Rolex has come up with a tool to replace the pearl so this is a non-issue.
The big problem with the ceramic they are not DIY to replace and again IMHO the actual fitting side has a lot to be desired.But most ceramics today will not get any abuse or most never see salt water and sand so should not be a problem.But if I had a ceramic would not risk going past the 5 year service like the older far more simple inserts.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 9 August 2014, 02:35 AM   #54
rmfnla
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ
Quote:
Scratch resistant, but not scratch proof
Quote:
To quote Rolex themselves "it is virtually impervious to scratches"
If you look up the word "virtually" you will see that Psmith is correct...
Old 9 August 2014, 02:49 AM   #55
richard371
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
I was at the RSC in sf and he showed me several broken ceramic bezels and some where the Pearl fell out or bent since it sticks up. Not an issue with the GMT though.
richard371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2014, 02:51 AM   #56
cwilson13
"TRF" Member

I have a HULk that my wife wears frequently. She bangs it into everything. Two years and counting...no scratches on the bezel. Looks new. The rest of the watch....not so much.
cwilson13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2014, 04:39 AM   #57
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

In the effort to show both sides of the bezel equation.

Here is a 18 year old all original bezel. No dings, scratches, fading, or nicks. This watch has seen ALOT of sun, water, and diving.
Old 9 August 2014, 04:49 AM   #58
Keith1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C blue, DSSD
Quote:
But if I had a ceramic would not risk going past the 5 year service like the older far more simple inserts.

Peter, I don't understand the statement above about the ceramic going past 5 year service? Thanks.
Keith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2014, 05:39 AM   #59
Sublover2166
Banned

Watch: Ol'Bluesy & Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith1 View Post
Peter, I don't understand the statement above about the ceramic going past 5 year service? Thanks.
My one concern with the ceramic bezel on my new Hulk as compared to the older style on my 16613 is the nylon or zytel retaining ring that apparently is what holds the bezel onto the case. Now if this part becomes brittle over the years and possibly breaks or deteriorates, will the bezel come off the watch and possibly be lost?? I think this new bezel system has not yet stood the test of time. While I wore the 16613 for basically every day for 17 years, I never banged the watch on anything to ever knock the bezel off the case. The new bezel system with spring loaded ball bearings and nylon ring just seems more fragile than the old design with just a metal ring and a click bar.
Sublover2166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2014, 07:20 AM   #60
SeaAndSky
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by cht View Post
these watches aren't going to age well I imagine...

the entire watch will be patina'd but the bezel will look brand new.
Respectfully disagree. I think that will be a grest look. If I ever get a 16710, I'll be swapping inserts every service. I don't like the look of faded inserts at all.
SeaAndSky is offline   Reply With Quote