The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 March 2015, 09:05 AM   #1
Oyster60
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos
What does the new Pelagos mean for the old version?

I'm new to the world of fine time pieces and have a very modest collection. That's being said I love my ETA Pelagos and treasure it. I read in the Hodinkee article the plan to phase out the ETA Pelagos with the intro of the new in house version. What does this mean for the older model? Should I put mine away for collectability's sake or will its value plummet in your opinion?
Oyster60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2015, 09:24 AM   #2
Travelin' Jack
"TRF" Member

I predict a decent drop in value, at least in the short term. It's a nice piece though and will be easier/cheaper to service with the ETA movement. I'd wear it!
Travelin' Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2015, 09:42 AM   #3
JDR888
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 214270
Keep it - it'll probably worth something in years to come based on the 2-liner dial and ETA movement only being produced for 2/3 years max.

In fact snap up all the second-hand ETA's that become available when the rush for the in-house (particularly the Blue Pelagos) movement starts.

As I've commented on a previous thread earlier today - the WIS community loves watches that deliver uniqueness/exclusivity/limited production runs etc and that's what an ETA Pelagos has now (and will) become.

10/20/30 years time you may see some appreciation in the value because of the proliferation of the in-house movement Pelagos being the norm - ceased production has its benefits long term!!

Current stable: 214270, 126234, 126710BLRO & Pelagos 39mm
JDR888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2015, 10:32 AM   #4
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
One MAJOR benefit will be ease of serviceability for the ETA version. ETA parts are BY FAR more available/at the ready anywhere in the world.

This new model movement will only be able to be serviced at facilities that Rolex dictate, and if you thought 3135 movement parts are difficult to source.....
handsfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2015, 10:53 AM   #5
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster60 View Post
I'm new to the world of fine time pieces and have a very modest collection. That's being said I love my ETA Pelagos and treasure it. I read in the Hodinkee article the plan to phase out the ETA Pelagos with the intro of the new in house version. What does this mean for the older model? Should I put mine away for collectability's sake or will its value plummet in your opinion?
wear it. keep it. it'll always be worth $3k min.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2015, 10:56 AM   #6
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Assuming you get your watch serviced by an RSC/TSC, the service price will be exactly the same for each, I expect.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2015, 10:58 AM   #7
Chewbacca
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Assuming you get your watch serviced by an RSC/TSC, the service price will be exactly the same for each, I expect.
thats an important point i forgot about.
Old 19 March 2015, 11:08 AM   #8
Old Expat Beast

Maybe they'll let you trade in your old dial and ETA for a the new dial/movement at a discount!
Old 19 March 2015, 11:11 AM   #9
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Agree with the above comments...just wear and enjoy it.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2015, 11:15 AM   #10
Nycturbovr6
"TRF" Member

Keep it and enjoy it
Nycturbovr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2015, 12:18 PM   #11
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post

No RSC for me. LOL. Independent ALL the way here. Not sure why anyone would bring in a Tudor to RSC for service. It's one of the main draws for my purchase of the Pelago's to begin with!

To boot: Most watchmakers cut their teeth on ETA's....not only are they easy to work on, but parts are cheap and readily available.
Old 19 March 2015, 12:47 PM   #12
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsfull View Post
No RSC for me. LOL. Independent ALL the way here. Not sure why anyone would bring in a Tudor to RSC for service. It's one of the main draws for my purchase of the Pelago's to begin with!

To boot: Most watchmakers cut their teeth on ETA's....not only are they easy to work on, but parts are cheap and readily available.
Not sure about in the States, but here in Hong Kong a Tudor service is almost half the price of a Rolex service, plus you get the Rolex/Tudor service papers, which can add value if you want to sell later.
Old 19 March 2015, 12:54 PM   #13
patek.wis
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Sky
IMHO, i think the value will drop significantly vs the new one, esp if they retail for close.

short term anyway

but honestly, who cares if you are going to wear it. just enjoy =)
patek.wis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2015, 12:58 PM   #14
Chewbacca
Banned

Quote:

food for thought, cheap and readily available parts may also mean asian clone ETA.

but everyone has their preference but i had a pre-coaxial omega smp done by a local indy and it was $550 with no polish. a very similar ETA base calibre.

my rolex previous to last 14060 was $700 with 2yrs warranty and a polish, papers and box with return shipping included.
Old 19 March 2015, 01:18 PM   #15
eeh100773
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060 T Series '96
There's nothing wrong with the ETA Pelgaos - awesome dive watch. Keep it.
Old 19 March 2015, 03:23 PM   #16
redhotmurc333
"TRF" Member

Watch: All my Rolexes
I actually like the the older Pelagos... Looks more traditional~
Old 19 March 2015, 04:15 PM   #17
redsubby
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Saving a hundred or two every 5-7 years over RSC, no thanks....
redsubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2015, 04:27 PM   #18
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

I suspect in 20yrs the Pelagos will not be collectible in the least.

It's not a Submariner...By then it will just be an old watch that was trendy in its time
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2015, 06:08 PM   #19
JDR888
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post

It's not a Submariner...By then it will just be an old watch that was trendy in its time
Ditto - Submariner as a general rule.

Certain references apart, the Sub is no more collectable for me, certainly the 16610 as an example.

I get all the history behind the sub but history has got to start somewhere - maybe Tudor will create a new chapter in their history with the new offerings, maybe they won't.

Just because it isn't a Rolex doesn't mean that it doesn't have a fighting chance.

Current stable: 214270, 126234, 126710BLRO & Pelagos 39mm
JDR888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2015, 06:46 PM   #20
zama
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4 Broken glass
My tip is it will become like the Zenith Daytona, a collectible oddity, probably in the next 5 years it will dip a little but will in the longer term be collectible, just comes down to whether it will be collectible like a black Tudor Sub or like a Blue Snowflake..... my tip more like a black sub, sine they have sold a lot of them already, it would be a keeper for me.
zama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2015, 07:21 PM   #21
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

What's the price for a Tudor 7922 Sub with a Tudor cal. 390 movement? (customized Fleurier)
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2015, 01:22 AM   #22
jmeds75
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 41 Blue
I have been looking for a used Pelagos for a few months now. I pulled the trigger just a day or two before I saw the pics of the new models. I personally am still happy with my decision and believe that there will be good, sufficient demand for all of these old and new Pelagos models for the foreseeable future. There are a lot of people that like the subtle original Pelagos 2 liner after having seen the new models, but it seems like there are a lot of people that are drawn to the new in-house movement and blue color as well. I think these new models expand the interest in the Pelagos and Tudor brand.
jmeds75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2015, 01:28 AM   #23
Mezz72
"TRF" Member

not familiar about Tudor etc but in general, was there ever an ETA movement that became a so called collector's item?
Mezz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2015, 01:50 AM   #24
DKRanger22
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post

I don't agree, and for the very reason that you mentioned above (highlighted in red).
  • It may not be a true "Submariner", but seeing as how Tudor no longer makes a Submariner, it's the next closest thing
  • Look at the value that vintage Tudor Subs currently have
  • There are 1000 Submariners (Tudor and Rolex alike) for every 1 Pelgaos in circulation

For these reasons, I feel that the Pelagos will have some collectible value down the road. It's truly an incredible watch that leaves little if anything to be desired by any stainless Submariner - Tudor or Rolex alike.

And just to set the record straight - it's hard to consider any mass-produced watch as "collectible". Some will hold their value better than others, and for the reasons I mentioned above, I think the Pelagos has as good a chance at doing that as any other watch currently in the Rolex / Tudor offering.
DKRanger22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2015, 02:01 AM   #25
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsubby View Post
Saving a hundred or two every 5-7 years over RSC, no thanks....
It's NOT mainly about saving money....I'm not one for tripping over a dollar to pick up a nickel
For me (and countless others), it's from many past experiences using RSC (NY mainly) for service and finding out the hard way that they aren't to the caliber of quality they are portrayed to be. All of the threads with issues stemming from RSC aren't hallucinations.
Old 20 March 2015, 02:02 AM   #26
kooltzar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 5512
In Europe the old Pelagos is already 20% below list price already (even before Basel), Black Bay even 30%. Why would you expect a watch with an ETA 2824 (the most common movement in the whole world) to increase in value? In house is what the Tudor community waited for. Look at the old Tudor subs: the ones with the 390 are much hiher value than the ETA ones.
So, if you want to avoid loss and that is important to you sell quickly before American prices will go down to European level and then further down because of new in-house movement. My estimate: The old pelagos will soon be around 2000 to 2500 $ max. If you simply like your watch and don't care about movements keep and enjoy it.
kooltzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2015, 02:05 AM   #27
kooltzar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 5512
  • It may not be a true "Submariner", but seeing as how Tudor no longer makes a Submariner, it's the next closest thing
  • There are 1000 Submariners (Tudor and Rolex alike) for every 1 Pelgaos in circulation

For these reasons, I feel that the Pelagos will have some collectible value down the road. It's truly an incredible watch that leaves little if anything to be desired by any stainless Submariner - Tudor or Rolex alike.

And just to set the record straight - it's hard to consider any mass-produced watch as "collectible". Some will hold their value better than others, and for the reasons I mentioned above, I think the Pelagos has as good a chance at doing that as any other watch currently in the Rolex / Tudor offering.[/QUOTE]

???Tudor makes submariners: They are called Black Bay!

And by the way: all Tudor models will get the in-house movement sooner or later and the premium to pay is only 250 CHF, so why would you keep an ETA one?
kooltzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2015, 02:05 AM   #28
fania123
"TRF" Member

My magic 8 ball says it may increase or decrease in the near future. Just wear and enjoy.
fania123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2015, 02:07 AM   #29
RollieVerde
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRanger22 View Post
I don't agree, and for the very reason that you mentioned above (highlighted in red).

And just to set the record straight - it's hard to consider any mass-produced watch as "collectible". Some will hold their value better than others, and for the reasons I mentioned above, I think the Pelagos has as good a chance at doing that as any other watch currently in the Rolex / Tudor offering.
The Black Bay is the closest thing to the original Tudor Submariner, and when you get an appraisal on the latter they quote the price of the former as replacement cost. The Pelagos is a Tudor Sea-Dweller.
RollieVerde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2015, 02:10 AM   #30
theprocess
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooltzar View Post
In Europe the old Pelagos is already 20% below list price already (even before Basel), Black Bay even 30%. Why would you expect a watch with an ETA 2824 (the most common movement in the whole world) to increase in value? In house is what the Tudor community waited for. Look at the old Tudor subs: the ones with the 390 are much hiher value than the ETA ones.
So, if you want to avoid loss and that is important to you sell quickly before American prices will go down to European level and then further down because of new in-house movement. My estimate: The old pelagos will soon be around 2000 to 2500 $ max. If you simply like your watch and don't care about movements keep and enjoy it.
If the eta pelagos drops to that pricepoint I will pick one up for sure (even previously loved). Dont really care about eta vs inhouse and the old dial is much cleaner.
theprocess is offline   Reply With Quote