The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 May 2015, 04:53 PM   #1
Yase

Watch: ROLEX
Icon8 Rolex 116000 gaining time

Hi Everyone,

I bought my first Rolex 116000 18 days ago. I was checking accuracy of the watch time to time but I was told that I need to make the watch work for 2 weeks reularly in order to get a reliable result. So yesterday at 20:30 I set my watch and put it in the position that crown is upside. In the morning at around 8 o'clock it was +1. After that I wore the watch and had a 25 mins of walk, and I check again (1.5 hours passed after 1st check) it was +7 !!!!!

Now 1 more hour passed after the 2nd check and it is +4. Is that normal? Why my watch is gaining time when on wrist and I am active? Please advise
Yase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2015, 05:14 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yase View Post
Hi Everyone,

I bought my first Rolex 116000 18 days ago. I was checking accuracy of the watch time to time but I was told that I need to make the watch work for 2 weeks reularly in order to get a reliable result. So yesterday at 20:30 I set my watch and put it in the position that crown is upside. In the morning at around 8 o'clock it was +1. After that I wore the watch and had a 25 mins of walk, and I check again (1.5 hours passed after 1st check) it was +7 !!!!!

Now 1 more hour passed after the 2nd check and it is +4. Is that normal? Why my watch is gaining time when on wrist and I am active? Please advise
First you cannot check any watch for accuracy the way you are doing it,when the movement is tested at the COSC,In the first 10 days of testing the movement could vary by up to 10 seconds either way in any 24 hour period and still pass the test.Now the COSC test is only for the time of testing just to say the movement had passed the AVERAGE of -4 +6 seconds over any 24 hour period nothing more.Now to test any watch for accuracy first give it a full manual wind 40 full crown turns clockwise only.Then sync your watch to a reliable time source for this test any quartz watch will do that's accurate enough.After setting watches wear yours as normal but for 8 hours plus a day.Check time once daily with same setting source write down the lose or gain do this for 5 complete days then average out the loss or gain over the 5 days for a more accurate result but remember there are 86400 seconds in a day.With the 3 series movements different resting positions when off wrist will make little or no difference perhaps a second or so difference at most.But gravity does have the most effect of all mechanical movements so there will always be very tiny almost daily tiny variations. The secret of owning a mechanical watch is not to get to anal about a second or so as that will start to take the pleasure out of owing one of the finest mechanical watches made today your Rolex.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder

Last edited by padi56; 6 May 2015 at 08:09 PM..
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2015, 06:11 PM   #3
ragingcao
"TRF" Member

Watch: cha talking about?
Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Did you buy it new or 2nd hand? Which model of 116000?
ragingcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2015, 07:56 PM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingcao View Post
There is only one model 116000 they are all the same except for the cosmetic details like dials etc.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 6 May 2015, 08:03 PM   #5
Bakasana
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
First you cannot check any watch for accuracy the way you are doing it,when the movement is tested at the COSC,In the first 10 days of testing the movement could vary by up to 10 seconds either way in any 24 hour period and still pass the test.Now the COSC test is only for the time of testing just to say the movement had passed the AVERAGE of -4 +6 seconds over any 24 hour period nothing more.Now to test any watch for accuracy first give it a full manual wind 40 full crown turns clockwise only.Then sync your watch to a reliable time source for this test any quartz watch will do that's accurate enough.After setting watches wear yours as normal but for 8 hours plus a day.Check time once daily with same setting source write down the lose or gain do this for 5 complete days then average out the loss or gain over the 5 days for a more accurate result but remember there are 86400 seconds in a day.With the 3 series movements different resting positions when off wrist will make little or no difference perhaps a second or so difference at most.But gravity does have the most effect of all mechanical movements so there will always be very tiny almost daily tiny variations. The secret of owning a mechanical watch is not to get to anal about a second or so as that will start to take the pleasure out of owing one of the finest mechanical watches made today your Rolex.
PLEASE, READ OVER AND OVER AGAIN. Sticky on the first page and then, have an option for every thread starter about "watch gaining time," have to fill out a checklist that they read this before they are allowed to post on the forum. That, and the waiver regarding, "Which should I buy...?" threads.
Bakasana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2015, 08:34 PM   #6
Yase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingcao View Post
It is a brand new one with a white grape dial. 18 days old.
Old 6 May 2015, 08:36 PM   #7
Yase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakasana View Post
PLEASE, READ OVER AND OVER AGAIN. Sticky on the first page and then, have an option for every thread starter about "watch gaining time," have to fill out a checklist that they read this before they are allowed to post on the forum. That, and the waiver regarding, "Which should I buy...?" threads.
Stop being rude ok? I didnt kill anyone just calm down ! I dont have to make any explanations to you.
Old 6 May 2015, 09:08 PM   #8
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
Quote:
Maybe it should be a sticky but you don't have to be so abrasive about it.
powerfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2015, 09:28 PM   #9
ajg1960
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ / ND Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
This should be a sticky. There are so many posts about gaining/losing time and a lot of misinformation out there about what is/isn't normal or acceptable. This post is very helpful and I believe will remain very useful for many.
ajg1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2015, 09:57 PM   #10
Yase

Guys, I started to test the watch as padi56 mentioned above but when the watch make a huge gaining in short time I wanted to ask about it. Thank you.
Old 6 May 2015, 10:00 PM   #11
Yase

Also to the person who is yelling above is please find a post that exactly talking about my watch which is Rolex 116000 and exactly the same symptoms then I will delete whole post to make you happy.
I dont understand this kind of behaviours. Everyone is here to share/learn/joy. Dont make people to get away from the forums for this kind of bulls***
Old 6 May 2015, 10:41 PM   #12
Evad3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060m/216570
Not sure why you are getting hostility; most of us have questions when you purchase a new watch!

Padi pretty much covered what you should try - if it averages out way outside of the COSC benchmark then try taking it to the AD you bought it at and raise your concerns
Old 6 May 2015, 10:56 PM   #13
Jake B
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gold Sub 116618LN
That sounds like quite a gain in a short period of time. Follow Padi's advice & check it once a day against time.is

Ignore Bananakaka or whatever his name is up there. He's not representative of the majority here.
Old 7 May 2015, 01:50 AM   #14
Bakasana
Banned

Wasnt trying to be abrasive.
Bakasana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2015, 02:11 AM   #15
Roller07
"TRF" Member

Watch: HulkPepsiCoke
Quote:
Wasnt trying to be abrasive.
Well, then you did a great job without even trying.
Old 7 May 2015, 02:47 AM   #16
Keith1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C blue, DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roller07 View Post
Well, then you did a great job without even trying.
+1.
Keith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2015, 03:39 AM   #17
westsiderkg
"TRF" Member

Watch: '66 Submariner
crown down at night...see if that looses a few seconds.
westsiderkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2015, 04:37 PM   #18
Yase

Thank you everyone it is nice that there are lots of nice people here. Yesterday my first 24 hr measurement was :
At night crown is upside : +10
Tonight i put it crown down and will see what the gain is at 20:30.
Old 7 May 2015, 05:00 PM   #19
amg55
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith1 View Post
+1.
+2 It's one reason why people stay away from forums, especially with posts from the so called know-it-alls.
amg55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2015, 11:27 PM   #20
ragingcao
"TRF" Member

Watch: cha talking about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evad3 View Post

Padi pretty much covered what you should try - if it averages out way outside of the COSC benchmark then try taking it to the AD you bought it at and raise your concerns

This.
I have the same watch Steel dial and it's been running within specs for the past 5 months.
ragingcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2015, 04:46 PM   #21
Yase

I am on the 3rd day of the measurement. 2 days average is +11.5.
Old 8 May 2015, 05:10 PM   #22
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
That seems too much.

Give it a full wind - set it to a reference eg. time.nist.gov - wear it in your normal pattern for a few weeks and re-check it to the same reference.

Give us the average gain/loss.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2015, 05:16 PM   #23
Yase

Hi everyone, thank you for all replies :) I am on the 6th day of my measurements and here are the details:

5th of May 20:30 I set the watch to start testing
6th of May 20:30 crown upside at night +10
7th of May 20:30 crown downside at night +23
8th of May 20:30 dial up at night +31
9th of May 20:30 dial down at night +40
10th of May 20:30 12 is showing sky +53
The average of 5 days: +10.6

By the way last week I called AD and they told me the Rolex Service can measure the gain and correct it. So I called Rolex Service, so they told me the same , after measurement they will open the case and make an easy adjustment. However since it is a very new watch I dont want to get my watch opened as you may feel the same with me. Therefore I decided to give more time to my watch before I go to Rolex Service.
Thank you everyone.
Old 11 May 2015, 05:36 PM   #24
Yase

I want to share some pictures of my watch. By the way where do you upload your photos and share links? I use imageshack.com

Old 11 May 2015, 05:50 PM   #25
AkshayArgade
"TRF" Member

try storing the watch crown down overnight, it should lose 1/2 seconds. Next night store it dial up, it should gain 1/2 seconds. Thats how my rolex behaves. I balance out the time

beautiful rolex btw
AkshayArgade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2015, 05:52 PM   #26
AkshayArgade
"TRF" Member

Yes, as directioneng says, don't forget to wind it 20 to 40 times
Old 11 May 2015, 06:21 PM   #27
Yase

Thank you AkshayArgade. I am always wearing my rolex so I dont wind it. I tried once, it was hard to wind so I thought that it is almost full reserve.
Old 11 May 2015, 06:27 PM   #28
AkshayArgade
"TRF" Member

it shouldn't be hard to wind, we can never tell when the watch is full wound, because there is no tension if you over wind it. if you are experiencing some sort of tension there might be a prob
Old 11 May 2015, 06:31 PM   #29
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Thank you AkshayArgade. I am always wearing my rolex so I dont wind it. I tried once, it was hard to wind so I thought that it is almost full reserve.
Well you should always fully wind before you start to wear your watch 40 full crown turns clockwise only dont worry you cannot over wind it and should show little or no resistance when winding.Now depending on your wrist activity while wearing most only top up the mainspring to whatever the mainspring had in its power reserve to start with.And when you rest your watch when off wrist rest it in one position only try crown down.At the moment your watch is showing too many variations in the different resting positions if your testing results are accurate.So your watch could need regulation now if your AD has a in-house watchmaker he/she could do it a very simple task to do takes around 30 minutes.But if watch is sent back to a RSC then could take anything from 1-8 weeks before getting watch back.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 11 May 2015, 06:32 PM   #30
Yase

I was told that when the reserve is getting higher, the crown is getting harder to turn. Is that wrong?