The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 August 2016, 03:19 AM   #1
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Sub C or Sea Dweller C4000? - People over the Dweller?

Thinking about flipping my Sub C date for Sea Dweller C -- Any regrets for those that did?
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2016, 03:22 AM   #2
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
I LOVE my SD4k -- it is truly my go to reference for all around.

I love wearing Subs...but the little extra heft...and the little extra height - gives it a unique wrist presence.

You won't regret it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2016, 03:26 AM   #3
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Here's a little help..

Cheers!!

RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2016, 03:29 AM   #4
doramas
Banned

Undoubtedly the Sea Dweller
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2016, 03:54 AM   #5
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

The sd4k imo is a better watch in every way. Rolex's best modern diver in my book.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2016, 03:59 AM   #6
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
The sd4k imo is a better watch in every way. Rolex's best modern diver in my book.
Thanks for the feedback!
Old 27 August 2016, 04:00 AM   #7
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
Here's a little help..

Cheers!!

Thanks for the nudge..
Old 27 August 2016, 04:02 AM   #8
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Sounds like a reasonable move to me
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2016, 04:02 AM   #9
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Page View Post
Thinking about flipping my Sub C date for Sea Dweller C -- Any regrets for those that did?
either way cant loose!!
tkerrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2016, 04:02 AM   #10
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
Here's a little help..

Cheers!!

Perfect!!
tkerrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2016, 04:04 AM   #11
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
While there are some aspects of the SDc I really love...I'm not sure I would flip a sub for one.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2016, 04:05 AM   #12
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkerrmd View Post
either way cant loose!!
I've been gravitating towards "smaller" wearing watches as I've been mostly wearing the Daytona these days. Tried on the SD4k the other day at a dealer and it didn't feel "small" anymore... Maybe my tastes are changing...
Old 27 August 2016, 04:23 AM   #13
mudd
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I did it and couldn't be happier.
mudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2016, 04:29 AM   #14
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
The new SD is the only fat case Rolex that I would consider. It's easily the best all new reference since they discontinued the five digit models.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2016, 04:47 AM   #15
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

In my collecting journey, I owned a Sub C date, then a DSSD, then a Sub C no date (twice), then the SDc (twice) and now I'm on my 3rd Sub C no date.

From experience, I can tell you the SDc is a fantastic watch, a truly kick-ass diver. My only gripe (and the major factor which ultimately made me go for the 114060 as my current Rolex SS diver) is the height. It measures approximately 15.5mm in height, against the Sub's 12.5mm.

Now, 15.5mm is very doable and super wearable (save if you wear very tight cuffs), and not a problem at all for a lot of people. For me, however, the difference in height was a small annoyance that, over time, got to my nerves and made me go for the sub. This is very personal, and head on pictures really don't show what I'm talking about (as is also the case with the DSSD, which always looks amazing in head on pictures). You should try the SDc on with that aspect in mind, imo, before making your final decision.

Again, not bashing the SDc. Heck, I'd love to own both.

Good luck deciding!

KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2016, 05:06 AM   #16
Esoteric
"TRF" Member

Apologies for the long post but this struck a chord with me.

TLDR: Yes I regret flipping my sub for the SD4K! I should have kept both.

My first Rolex was a Sub 116610LN and it was a watch that I had coveted for years. In the beginning I adored it, loved everything about it. I read all the forums and blogs and dismissed all the usual complaints aimed at it, the maxi case is too big, the ceramic bezel is too fragile, the only sub to have is the no date, only vintage subs are worth it etc. As soon as I put it on my wrist I knew that my mind would never romp again, like the mind of God, Ok I'm exaggerating here but I really liked it!

However, as often happens with watches, the thrill soon dissipated and I started wanting another, better Rolex diver. I started to dislike the cyclops, the fatter lugs on the sub, even the glossy dial bothered me. Ridiculous as it may sound, the final straw came when I was in Ikea, wearing my sub, and saw another guy wearing a sub and I thought to myself "That guy looks like a d**k" walking around with his sub. About 10 minutes later, standing next to some cheap plastic flowers, I saw another guy wearing a sub and thought to myself, that's it, these things are as common as muck I have to get rid of it!

So I began the process of rationalizing why I needed to get a Sea-Dweller and sell my sub. Firstly they were too common, instead of showing that I was knowledgable about horology, wearing a sub was broadcasting to everyone that I knew nothing about watches. I had made the same choice millions of others make when they decide to purchase their first "good" watch.

So I simply had to have the Sea-Dweller, the fully graduated bezel, the matte dial, the increased water resistance, the divers extension, the Titanium back, drool! It called out to me from the valleys of Switzerland saying, "Come, strap me on, we will dive to great depths"

So I sold my sub and moved on, or so I thought. The thing is, even though on paper the Sea-Dweller is superior, even though it's a rarer watch, even though it separates me from the plebs with their subs and moves me up one step on the ladder to horological nirvana, I have an emotional attachment to the sub that I simply don't have to the Sea-Dweller.

Given the choice of having only one watch to wear for ever I would have to pick the sub, forget what other people think, forget that it's only water resistant to 1000 feet, forget every other watch. Keep your sub, wear it, love it. Then in the future there may come a time when you decide to get the Sea-Dweller, but in the mean time keep your sub!
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2016, 05:27 AM   #17
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauebm View Post
In my collecting journey, I owned a Sub C date, then a DSSD, then a Sub C no date (twice), then the SDc (twice) and now I'm on my 3rd Sub C no date.

From experience, I can tell you the SDc is a fantastic watch, a truly kick-ass diver. My only gripe (and the major factor which ultimately made me go for the 114060 as my current Rolex SS diver) is the height. It measures approximately 15.5mm in height, against the Sub's 12.5mm.

Now, 15.5mm is very doable and super wearable (save if you wear very tight cuffs), and not a problem at all for a lot of people. For me, however, the difference in height was a small annoyance that, over time, got to my nerves and made me go for the sub. This is very personal, and head on pictures really don't show what I'm talking about (as is also the case with the DSSD, which always looks amazing in head on pictures). You should try the SDc on with that aspect in mind, imo, before making your final decision.

Again, not bashing the SDc. Heck, I'd love to own both.

Good luck deciding!

Thanks for the feedback, in fact I did try one last week and the height doesn't bother me.
Old 27 August 2016, 05:30 AM   #18
KBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Page View Post
Thanks for the feedback, in fact I did try one last week and the height doesn't bother me.
In that case, there's nothing I can think of against that watch. A fantastic choice!
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2016, 05:33 AM   #19
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
I posted a submariner vs sd4k poll only last week. here is the link. I would lean towards the SD4k as they can be had used for excellent price.

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=490484
japenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2016, 05:33 AM   #20
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
I traded my subc ND for a SDc and never looked back... But ended up flipping that for a 16600 and could not be happier, I'd highly recommend looking at a pre ceramic SD
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2016, 06:08 AM   #21
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

I've had one of those before on my journey, and I'm a diver so this is going in the drink with me so I think I lean towards modern

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk
Old 27 August 2016, 06:19 AM   #22
PatagoniaDan
"TRF" Member

I prefer the Sub and went through this decision process a while back, and at the end of the day there's only one way to find out. This could be a benefit or drawback to you depending on what you're looking for, but the Sub wears larger, or has more wrist presence, even though the S4k has the additional height.

Also, a factor to consider is how tight you wear your watches. The additional height and weight of the S4k makes for an uncomfortable floppy watch, but if you wear it very snug it eliminates much of that concern.
PatagoniaDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2016, 07:35 AM   #23
joejoe1225
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX
Great Piece - I own both - If possible I would add one rather than flip.
Old 27 August 2016, 07:42 AM   #24
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I would pick any Sea Dweller over any Sub Date C.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2016, 08:17 AM   #25
andyol1966
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek and Rolex
I flipped my SubC for SD4K and have no regrets. Both great watches, but SD4K feels more special and has the edge.
andyol1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2016, 08:18 AM   #26
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

great feedback everyone, thanks!

Old 27 August 2016, 08:26 AM   #27
swils8610

No regrets here. Love my SD4k. I prefer the lugs of the SD4k.
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2016, 08:35 AM   #28
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
Apologies for the long post but this struck a chord with me.

TLDR: Yes I regret flipping my sub for the SD4K! I should have kept both.

My first Rolex was a Sub 116610LN and it was a watch that I had coveted for years. In the beginning I adored it, loved everything about it. I read all the forums and blogs and dismissed all the usual complaints aimed at it, the maxi case is too big, the ceramic bezel is too fragile, the only sub to have is the no date, only vintage subs are worth it etc. As soon as I put it on my wrist I knew that my mind would never romp again, like the mind of God, Ok I'm exaggerating here but I really liked it!

However, as often happens with watches, the thrill soon dissipated and I started wanting another, better Rolex diver. I started to dislike the cyclops, the fatter lugs on the sub, even the glossy dial bothered me. Ridiculous as it may sound, the final straw came when I was in Ikea, wearing my sub, and saw another guy wearing a sub and I thought to myself "That guy looks like a d**k" walking around with his sub. About 10 minutes later, standing next to some cheap plastic flowers, I saw another guy wearing a sub and thought to myself, that's it, these things are as common as muck I have to get rid of it!

So I began the process of rationalizing why I needed to get a Sea-Dweller and sell my sub. Firstly they were too common, instead of showing that I was knowledgable about horology, wearing a sub was broadcasting to everyone that I knew nothing about watches. I had made the same choice millions of others make when they decide to purchase their first "good" watch.

So I simply had to have the Sea-Dweller, the fully graduated bezel, the matte dial, the increased water resistance, the divers extension, the Titanium back, drool! It called out to me from the valleys of Switzerland saying, "Come, strap me on, we will dive to great depths"

So I sold my sub and moved on, or so I thought. The thing is, even though on paper the Sea-Dweller is superior, even though it's a rarer watch, even though it separates me from the plebs with their subs and moves me up one step on the ladder to horological nirvana, I have an emotional attachment to the sub that I simply don't have to the Sea-Dweller.

Given the choice of having only one watch to wear for ever I would have to pick the sub, forget what other people think, forget that it's only water resistant to 1000 feet, forget every other watch. Keep your sub, wear it, love it. Then in the future there may come a time when you decide to get the Sea-Dweller, but in the mean time keep your sub!
thanks, great story. I've been down the path already once. I think I'm going SD for now, and I'm also sure my current sub won't be my last..

Old 27 August 2016, 08:49 AM   #29
Vinyasa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II 16570
Not much help I'm afraid. I'm wearing my SD4K as I type. I had a TT Sub (Blue) circa 2000, and absolutely loved it. Had to give it up a few years ago, as I needed the money, broke my heart. Earlier this year I had the opportunity to get back into the club, and wanted something different. The DSSD was (way) too big for my 6.5" wrist, and once introduced to the SD4K, I was sold. Love the fully graduated bezel, missing cyclops, matte dial, and (over) engineered depth rating.

It's the last one I'll ever give up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0590.JPG (115.6 KB, 1394 views)
Vinyasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2016, 09:38 AM   #30
JP(Canada)
"TRF" Member

No regrets, whatsoever...