The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 January 2017, 10:03 PM   #1
sickondivers
"TRF" Member

36mm OP on LARGE Wrist pics

I realize the topic of 36mm watches being 'too small' has been beaten into the damn ground here.........But that being said , I'm considering a 36mm OP ( 2008 + w/ Larger case ) And with a size 8" wrist I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger.

I've tried on the the 34mm OP ( Air King ) and it looked like a chicks watch.

I'm having a hard time reconciling that 2mm will be a big improvement.
Forum member that I trust do in fact state that the 36mm IS a big improvement over a 34mm in 'Watch Presence'

Anyways, I'm hoping the big guys here will post some Photo wrist shots of their 36mm Oyster Perpetuals and their opinions so I can get a better feel for this before I pull the trigger

Thanks!

-R
sickondivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2017, 10:22 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Myself have 8 and half inch wrists and quite happy to wear my vintage 30mm or anything larger, I wear what I want to wear its that simple.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2017, 11:01 PM   #3
flw
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 116610LN
I'm hoping to get a 36mm OP with steel dial this year (chances aren't great, but I can dream), so I totally get the appeal of the watch. That said, I have closer to a 6.5" wrist, so I wouldn't be much help. I usually wear a Sub or Seamaster, although I have a couple of smaller vintage Omegas that get a fair amount of wrist time as well. I say go for it - if it's the watch you want, just wear it!
flw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2017, 11:54 PM   #4
Bdvos
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116000
My wrists aren't that large at somewhere between 7 and 7,5". There's no denying that the watch looks a little small on me and it will look small on a 8" wrist. It's a great watch if you can look past the size and I still love mine.

Bdvos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 12:49 AM   #5
slide13
"TRF" Member

I have a 7.75" wrist probably and I recently started wearing 36mm and love it.

It can be hard to try on because they don't fit me well off the shelf, I'd need at least a link added for a comfortable fit. THis colors your perception in my opinion and makes it feel smaller.

36 is definitely different enough from 34mm to notice. The 2mm makes a difference as does the move to the 20mm bracelet.

I was in the same boat as you. I really wanted the steel dial OP 116000 but didn't want to buy it and regret the size. So I picked up a used Datejust figuring if I ended up finding 36mm too small I could sell it without losing money. After getting an extra link to get it to fit the way I want it's been perfect. I actually love the size and it no longer feels or looks small to me. Sure, when I post pictures here some think it looks small but I just think it has a classic/vintage look and feel and I like it.

It's also the most comfortable watch I've ever worn.

I still want to get the 36mm steel dial OP one of these days....love that watch!

Here is a pic of me trying on the 36mm OP in grape dial and then one of my Datejust I've been wearing for a few weeks now.

slide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 01:05 AM   #6
CLTRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Multiple
Don't do it
♕ Daytona - 116520
♕ Explorer II - 16570
CLTRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 01:14 AM   #7
JonnyBCisco
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15400 White
Slide13 - thanks for sharing your experience and for the explanation of the look that you are going for. I notice that in both shots you are wearing your watches very close to the back of your hand. Have you always worn it like that?
JonnyBCisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 01:49 AM   #8
anothernewphone
Banned

Watch: 116520
If you're looking for opinions, mine is that it would look silly.
anothernewphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 02:05 AM   #9
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Is (seen your doubt) the 39mm 114300 not a better option, I am a huge fan!

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 02:21 AM   #10
slide13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBCisco View Post
Slide13 - thanks for sharing your experience and for the explanation of the look that you are going for. I notice that in both shots you are wearing your watches very close to the back of your hand. Have you always worn it like that?
I tend more in that direction, but the first pic that is the only place it would fit without an extra link so it's there by default, and in the second it just slid down there. I don't have a prominent enough wrist bone to keep it above that always without it being uncomfortably tight for me as I tend to prefer my bracelet a little lose. So when I'm cool my DJ will slide down to my hand often. When I'm warm it'll stay put above my wrist bone though.
Old 3 January 2017, 02:25 AM   #11
Mitch105
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 Fluted/Jub
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickondivers View Post
I realize the topic of 36mm watches being 'too small' has been beaten into the damn ground here.........But that being said , I'm considering a 36mm OP ( 2008 + w/ Larger case ) And with a size 8" wrist I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger.

I've tried on the the 34mm OP ( Air King ) and it looked like a chicks watch.

I'm having a hard time reconciling that 2mm will be a big improvement.
Forum member that I trust do in fact state that the 36mm IS a big improvement over a 34mm in 'Watch Presence'

Anyways, I'm hoping the big guys here will post some Photo wrist shots of their 36mm Oyster Perpetuals and their opinions so I can get a better feel for this before I pull the trigger

Thanks!

-R

It's too small for 8 inch wrist in contemporary design. It's too small for a men's watch period. Not saying it can't be worn. But it's more a girls size these days. Sorry, I expect you wanted it honest and of course it's just my opinion.
Mitch105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 02:26 AM   #12
Reinhard in SA
"TRF" Member

I fear that would look too small. Why not 39mm?
Reinhard in SA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 02:27 AM   #13
elmeister
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570 Polar
Here's mine on a 7.25".. not huge but not tiny... guy at AD said I should go 39 but I just love this one too much and it is, by far, the most comfortable watch I own... not a fan of the maxi case on divers I do like the increased heft on the 36 watches... the proportions on this watch are perfect.. I always felt there was just something a little off on the 39... try them on and get what you like and feels best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
elmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 04:02 AM   #14
RichM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: out now,take care!
Go 39
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 04:12 AM   #15
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
36mm is fine and a great buy and not a ladies size.

the key to it 'looking' right, is how tight you wear it. the larger the side muffintops, the more out of place it appears.

wear a 34 - 36mm watch on the loose side and it'll feel and look larger. also add as many links as possible and reduce the buckle adjustment. the slight weight addition makes it feel like a larger watch.

or, just get a 39mm and then post how the 39mm feels smaller when you see a lady wearing a DSSD.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 05:48 AM   #16
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post

wear a 34 - 36mm watch on the loose side and it'll feel and look larger. also add as many links as possible and reduce the buckle adjustment. the slight weight addition makes it feel like a larger watch.
True statement.

OP, I bought this exact watch for my wife for Christmas. Just for fun, I tried it on after I sized it for her (she likes to wear her watches loose). Felt and looked pretty good...sorry, no pics.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 06:25 AM   #17
Gazza67
"TRF" Member

36mm would look fine, however, it will look small if you rotate it with larger watches.
Gazza67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 07:15 AM   #18
Mitch105
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 Fluted/Jub
Go 39mm especially on a large wrist. Perfect.
Mitch105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 07:44 AM   #19
cdm765
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
I got my Dad an OP 36 and loved it on me at the AD. I have 7.5 wrist, so fairly substantial. I am actually in the market for a 36mm Explorer (later this year or next) as a result of the experience!
cdm765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 07:56 AM   #20
slide13
"TRF" Member

Definitely worth trying 39mm too. I tried it and actually thought it felt too big to me and in the OP I really don't like the dials as much as the 36mm (bright colors don't have the classic feel I want and lack of lime but for the 3/6/9 markers was disappointing). Exp I in 39mm is nice though if you like that size.

Just as an example, here are some images I referenced when I was trying to decide if 36mm was a good choice for me. To me, none of these look too small, they all have a classic feel to them that I think looks great.

The modern aesthetic of large watches is fine if you want to look currently trendy. I don't think they'll ever go away completely but I think we'll see a move toward more classic sizes in the next 10 years. Obviously 40mm watches like the Sub and GMT are timeless but I think 20 years from now a DJII or a DD41 will look rather dated while the 36mm size will remain classics.

Old 3 January 2017, 07:59 AM   #21
AConnolly
"TRF" Member

Watch: DATEJUST
I have a 7" wrist and I love 36mm. I think I would still stick with 36mm even if my wrist was larger, it's just such a classic size. Planning to add a 36mm day-date someday as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2637.jpg (98.6 KB, 841 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2972.jpg (80.3 KB, 831 views)
AConnolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 08:09 AM   #22
nobbylon
Banned

Watch: DSSD
The 36 is a classic. It only looks small after you've been wearing 39, 40 for a while. I wear a DSSD daily on my 8+ inch wrist and would have no prob with a 36. Wear it for a week and it will seem normal.
That blue 3,6,9 dial OP is the best looking 36 for years.
nobbylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 09:05 AM   #23
CLTRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Multiple
Quote:
Originally Posted by AConnolly View Post
I have a 7" wrist and I love 36mm. I think I would still stick with 36mm even if my wrist was larger, it's just such a classic size. Planning to add a 36mm day-date someday as well.

All those pics are from the 90s or before, and/or people over a certain age.
That should give you enough information to make an informed decision...
♕ Daytona - 116520
♕ Explorer II - 16570
CLTRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 09:13 AM   #24
datejust24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexssss
I'd go for the 39 mm OP ...Rhodium dial...beautiful piece
datejust24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 09:43 AM   #25
slide13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTRolex View Post
All those pics are from the 90s or before, and/or people over a certain age.
That should give you enough information to make an informed decision...

I was trying to illustrate the classic appeal. But there are modern examples too.

Old 3 January 2017, 09:50 AM   #26
THC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
Great pics... I had a 36mm DD but felt like it ended up too small, in size, for me. I miss it for sure, but think 40 or 41mm will stand the test of time going forward as the norm
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 10:23 AM   #27
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
For me I love smaller sized watches as they allow me access to vintage pieces. I really don't mind the look especially on my 6.5 in. wrist. 34mm seems to be where I draw the line but there are many great 34mm watches out there if vintage holds an interest. For some reason it seems to me that looking at only larger pieces is very limiting and much more of a fashion interest than a horology one. I might add that it takes some guts to take an FTW attitude. Here's a 34mm one I'm wearing at work today.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 10:28 AM   #28
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

8" is kind of on the cusp, to me, so I think you could go either way. Under 8", 36mm all the way.

Now, of course, if you're 6'8" 250lbs, the DDII looks downright proportional!

douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 10:30 AM   #29
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

Its hard for me to think any 36mm watch on a wrist thats over 7.2 inches doesn't look too small. If its an older gentleman wearing it, I kind of give it a pass if the watch looks older, but new stuff thats at that size just...eh...seems too meager on the wrist to my eyes. Hard to beat the 39-42mm range for generally "ideal" aesthetics currently.
sechsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 10:41 AM   #30
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sechsgang View Post
Its hard for me to think any 36mm watch on a wrist thats over 7.2 inches doesn't look too small. If its an older gentleman wearing it, I kind of give it a pass if the watch looks older, but new stuff thats at that size just...eh...seems too meager on the wrist to my eyes. Hard to beat the 39-42mm range for generally "ideal" aesthetics currently.
It depends on dial size. The brilliance of the Rolex line, up until the last decade, was that nearly all the watches had about the same dial/crystal size, so you essentially picked a watch based on function. The Sub is a little bigger than a DJ, because of the larger bezel, but they all read about the same size because the dial/crystal is the same size.

Now that sport watches have become so popular, it seems that people are holding non-sport watches to the same sizing criteria, which doesn't make sense. A 40-42mm dive watch, like the Sub, is perfect, but for a dress watch or non-sport Rolex, 36-38mm is still ideal for most wrist sizes.

In other words, you don't buy a DJ and Sub of the same size. You'd naturally want to account for the bezel size differences and pick a DJ smaller than the Sub, because they read about the same on the wrist.

Now, if you're like Lebron James above, naturally something like a DD II and DSSD would make more sense.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote