The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 31 January 2018, 06:36 AM   #1
Andrejb
2024 Pledge Member

Travelling to Columbia with a Rolex?

Hey guys. Booked a trip to Cartagena in May. My girl and I have been lusting after photos of this place for quite some time.

Anyone ever been?

My question is, I hear mixed reviews on rolexes when travelling. Some people say to always carry one high valued item with you at all times in case you need to quickly trade it to get yourself out of a bind

Others say avoid avoid avoid

Would love to hear your experiences / opinions?

Planning on wearing a sub for the trip

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andrejb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2018, 06:40 AM   #2
MK25toLife
"TRF" Member

I’ve been to Carta and didn’t wear mine, I chose to play it safe.
MK25toLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2018, 06:40 AM   #3
anakyn101
"TRF" Member

Watch: DRSD/RedSuB/COMEX
I would avoid bringing an expensive watch..why risk putting yourself and your girl in a dangerous situation.
SUB: 16800 Ghost Bezel; 1680 200 RedSub; 16610LV FAT 4 (Y) NOS; 16610LV FAT 4 (F) NOS; 16610LV FAT 4 (F) NOS / EXP: I 14270; I Freccione 1655; SD: 16660 Triple 6; 1665 Submariner 2000-DRSD; 1665 Great White MKI; 116600 SD4K NOS (2); 116660 DSSD MKI; 16600 Sommozzatori Polipetto NOS; 16600 NOS; (2) 126600 SD43 NOS; 16600 COMEX NOS / DAYTONA: 116500 NOS (4); 16520 Zenith (6) NOS; 116520 (5) NOS; P.P+++
anakyn101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2018, 06:46 AM   #4
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
I have been three times in the last couple years. The first, I wore my EX II without even thinking and had no issues. Then again, it is one of the most “under the radar” watches Rolex has. The next two, I was debating bringing my DJ 41, which is much more noticeable. My coworker that lives in Bogota recommended bringing it. I thought it prudent to follow his advice and left it home
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2018, 06:49 AM   #5
Teetime71
"TRF" Member

Watch: me nae nae
Just make sure it is insured. That way you can take it wherever you wish and not stress. Play it safe and don’t be conspicuous by displaying signs of wealth in unknown company or environs.

Teetime71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2018, 07:06 AM   #6
cdmorenot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
I live in Colombia (Please make sure you get the spelling right, people down here take offense to this)

I moved down here a little less than a year ago. Never take my Rolex off and I never will.

I live in the outskirts of Medellín where I am pretty much free to wear any watch I want. Withing Medellín and any other major city I do switch to a subtle explorer and throw the watch in a cubby when I know I'll be stuck in traffic. There are professional watch thieves who prey on people while they're sitting ducks in traffic.

Same as any other major city ... While in CTG I wear my Sub or whatever else I bring on the trip but I am also not dumb enough to venture outside the "good" areas of town.

I love this place and I've never felt unsafe but the truth is that if a thief here wants your watch, he'll get it so just give it up and don't get shot. If you can't afford to lose the watch, please leave it at home.

If you find yourself in Medellín and need some tips on all the wonderful things this place has to offer, PM me.

Welcome to Colombia !

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
Old 31 January 2018, 07:06 AM   #7
dafuture
"TRF" Member

I'd leave it at home. Sure, insurance will cover it. But on the other hand, do you really want to lose your watch?
Old 31 January 2018, 07:13 AM   #8
vacano
"TRF" Member

Colombia is fine. I visited summer 2016, (Bogotá, Medellin and other places). You will be surprised how things have changed there. If in doubt take a wrist sweat band to cover you watch if you feel unsure.
vacano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2018, 07:15 AM   #9
David cote
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Watches etc
wear the hell outta that thing!

David cote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2018, 07:19 AM   #10
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

If you have any reservations (I would too hearing about the things from Columbia)...why would you risk this? Could care less about losing an insured watch but you're willing to encounter possible physical harm in the process? Is showing your Rolex on your vacation that important to you to compromise you and your wife's safety there? Sorry I just don't see why this is even a question...you stick out as a tourist already, no need to add incentives for bad guys.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2018, 07:20 AM   #11
datejustrms
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
If in doubt, leave it at home.
datejustrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2018, 07:24 AM   #12
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Watch: me go broke!
I'd leave it at home.

For a reference point, I went to Vegas for a bachelor party last year, I knew I'd be on little sleep and intoxicated for the majority of the trip... I brought a G-Shock. I see no reason to ever jeopardize my watches.
tbonesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2018, 07:27 AM   #13
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
Forget the Rolex, I wouldn’t travel there at all.

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2018, 07:27 AM   #14
tng11
"TRF" Member

My advice - leave it at home. I did that for my entire South American trip, as I was strongly advised by locals in Colombia, Argentina and Brazil to do exactly that and I listened.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2018, 07:30 AM   #15
Brian HCM#1
"TRF" Member

My wife and I leave all expensive jewelry at home when traveling to those types of countries. Don't need to draw attention to yourself, plus we feel in some less fortunate countries its like throwing it in their face that we're better off than they are.
Brian HCM#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2018, 07:31 AM   #16
cdmorenot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
I'm never the one with the "remarks" but some of you really really need to get on a plane and travel the world.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
Old 31 January 2018, 07:34 AM   #17
RossHetherington
"TRF" Member

Leave well at home.
RossHetherington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2018, 07:36 AM   #18
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
I’d probably leave any expensive watch behind depending on the surroundings. As for emergency funds, I always carry a few gold coins with me.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2018, 07:36 AM   #19
Spartan1
"TRF" Member

You bought it to wear it, however, not to make yourself a target. There will be plenty of time to wear it when you get home, so I’m this case, not worth the risk you will put you and yours in while in a third world country.
Spartan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2018, 07:41 AM   #20
parasky
"TRF" Member

I've been to Colombia and Cartagena at least five times in the past few years and, for what it's worth, I think you will be fine. It's no different from traveling anywhere else, as long as you use common sense. I wouldn't go out drinking late at night and flash your watch there just like I wouldn't do it here in the U.S. Just for peace of mind, I would have my watch insured, though.
parasky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2018, 07:42 AM   #21
Preludejo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinmg View Post
Forget the Rolex, I wouldn’t travel there at all.
Colombia is beautiful, so are the women! It's a lovely place, I wouldn't worry too much at all. I feel safer there than in Detroit, lol.

Medellin, Bogota, Cartegana, Armenia, all of em gorgeous places
Preludejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2018, 07:44 AM   #22
mikeps2006
"TRF" Member

I wouldn’t.

mikeps2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2018, 07:58 AM   #23
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Judging by this forum, one should not wear a Rolex while: vacationing, using a laptop, showering, working out, working in the yard, working on the car, wearing a tux, interviewing for a job, hot tubbing, in the sauna, golfing, sleeping, swimming, near a diamond, at work, near a door frame, standing on a tile floor, in Detroit, and while not being serviced after more than 5 years.

Wearing a Rolex is no easy pursuit.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2018, 08:01 AM   #24
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
Judging by this forum, one should not wear a Rolex while: vacationing, using a laptop, showering, working out, working in the yard, working on the car, wearing a tux, interviewing for a job, hot tubbing, in the sauna, golfing, sleeping, swimming, near a diamond, at work, near a door frame, standing on a tile floor, in Detroit, and while not being serviced after more than 5 years.

Wearing a Rolex is no easy pursuit.
Maybe others feel differently, but I have no need to put myself in unnecessary situations. I don't feel the need to flash the fact that I can walk around with $20k on my wrist.

The situation like Vegas I noted above; I'm drinking heavily with little sleep for 60 straight hours and certainly not in my normal mental state, someone gets cute, slips something in my drink, and bye bye Ceramic Daytona. No thanks :shrug:
Old 31 January 2018, 08:04 AM   #25
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonesteak View Post
Maybe others feel differently, but I have no need to put myself in unnecessary situations. I don't feel the need to flash the fact that I can walk around with $20k on my wrist.

The situation like Vegas I noted above; I'm drinking heavily with little sleep for 60 straight hours and certainly not in my normal mental state, someone gets cute, slips something in my drink, and bye bye Ceramic Daytona. No thanks :shrug:

I wear an Orient when anticipating possibly being in these situations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2018, 08:09 AM   #26
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:

Well, there are two completely contradictory paragraphs.
Old 31 January 2018, 08:11 AM   #27
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by datejustrms View Post
If in doubt, leave it at home.
Yes.....why risk it?
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2018, 08:12 AM   #28
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:

That's what insurance is for, and it's impossible to plan when a bad thing can happen. I was once held up at gunpoint in a parking lot at a famous restaurant in West L.A., 5 minutes after the parking attendant left, and the guy carjacked a freaking VW Bug, of all things. I've since been in far seedier places in much nicer cars. Worrying too much would be miserable.
Old 31 January 2018, 08:16 AM   #29
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
That's what insurance is for, and it's impossible to plan when a bad thing can happen. I was once held up at gunpoint in a parking lot at a famous restaurant in West L.A., 5 minutes after the parking attendant left, and the guy carjacked a freaking VW Bug, of all things. I've since been in far seedier places in much nicer cars. Worrying too much would be miserable.
While it is impossible to plan for bad things, and your story is a reminder of that, you can certainly do things to reduce the odds.

If someone said I'm going to London with the wife and kids and someone else says they're on their way to Sao Paulo to visit working girls, I'd say the guy in latter of the two scenarios is at much higher risk of having his watch stolen.
Old 31 January 2018, 08:35 AM   #30
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
While it is impossible to plan for bad things, and your story is a reminder of that, you can certainly do things to reduce the odds.

If someone said I'm going to London with the wife and kids and someone else says they're on their way to Sao Paulo to visit working girls, I'd say the guy in latter of the two scenarios is at much higher risk of having his watch stolen.
Yeah, I guess my point is that I wouldn't really buy anything I'd worry about, whether that be in Beverly Hills or some other place, because bad can happen anywhere. I mean, I lived in Caracas as a kid and we never got mugged, yet I got carjacked near Beverly Hills. With any watch I own, I could easily give it up to a robber without question, just like that stupid VW a dozen years ago.