The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 February 2018, 06:26 AM   #91
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
I'll be there in May and June as well wearing my Exp. If it would be a constant concern, leave it and enjoy your trip. You can always bring it the next time.
CamSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 06:33 AM   #92
yhzdude
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

if you are a local, it might be different.
But i would not bring any fancy watches there, not even sure i would wear a citizen watch.
i have only been to Bogota a few times, so i base it on that, other cities might be different.
i was traveling alone and i always, made sure i was home before dark. So never mind bringing a Rolex. Sure i could have been a little paranoid...my advise, is NO, unless you dress like the locals, and speak the lingo, you will stand out, and if you walk the street, speaking English a little loud, people will turn around to check you out.
PLay it safe.
yhzdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 08:13 AM   #93
nikop
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Couldn’t agree more. Of all the places you could go in the world, Columbia wouldn’t even be in the top 500 on my list.
Perhaps you should learn how to spell the name of the country before you make ignorant and disparaging remarks about it?
nikop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 08:20 AM   #94
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikop View Post
Perhaps you should learn how to spell the name of the country before you make ignorant and disparaging remarks about it?
Some of us maybe don't spell well. Maybe his spell checker changed the spelling. But that's quite an attack on a well respected member of the forum. Let's face it. Colombia doesn't have a very good track record. Wasn't a soccer player murdered for making a mistake that cost a game. For the record I would not wear a Rolex to Colombia. I probably wouldn't even go there.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 08:21 AM   #95
Atlantic
"TRF" Member

Wear it but use your street smarts.
Atlantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 08:42 AM   #96
nikop
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art 1 View Post
Some of us maybe don't spell well. Maybe his spell checker changed the spelling. But that's quite an attack on a well respected member of the forum. Let's face it. Colombia doesn't have a very good track record. Wasn't a soccer player murdered for making a mistake that cost a game. For the record I would not wear a Rolex to Colombia. I probably wouldn't even go there.
A person's tenure on the forum does not preclude them from making offensive remarks. And yes, Colombia was at the epicenter of the 80s cocaine trade, but the country has worked very hard to shed the reputation that Hollywood bestowed on it back then, and seeing those stereotypes perpetuated by Americans without first-hand experience there hurts a lot of innocent people.
nikop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2018, 06:50 AM   #97
pallindrome
"TRF" Member

Watch: Apple Watch 42mm
Stay safe. Don’t wear anything flashy.
If you must bring it make sure it’s insured.
If you have 999999 remaining rolexes at home, go ahead and wear it all around Colombia!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pallindrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2018, 11:58 PM   #98
cdmorenot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikop View Post
A person's tenure on the forum does not preclude them from making offensive remarks. And yes, Colombia was at the epicenter of the 80s cocaine trade, but the country has worked very hard to shed the reputation that Hollywood bestowed on it back then, and seeing those stereotypes perpetuated by Americans without first-hand experience there hurts a lot of innocent people.
I just saw this.

Thank You.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
Old 17 February 2018, 12:25 AM   #99
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Let me try to clear my original post up. My spell checker did change my spelling of Colombia. Out of professional experience with the country and the US State Departments travel warnings to Colombia. My opinion and view point on where and what country I choose to travel is based on a educated view point with well researched facts.

US State Dept has ranked Colombia a Level 2 for 2018
2018Colombia – Level 2: Exercise increased caution

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-advisory.html

Quote:
US State Department
Violent crime, such as homicide, assault, and armed robbery, is common. Organized criminal activities, such as extortion, robbery, and kidnapping for ransom, are widespread.

A terrorist organization, the National Liberation Army (ELN), continues plotting possible attacks in Colombia. They may attack with little or no warning, targeting tourist locations, transportation hubs, markets/shopping malls, local government facilities, hotels, clubs, restaurants, places of worship, parks, major sporting and cultural events, educational institutions, airports, and other public areas. The Colombian government has not yet signed a peace agreement with the ELN.

U.S. government personnel cannot travel freely throughout Colombia for security reasons.
Old 17 February 2018, 12:37 AM   #100
run23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Let me try to clear my original post up. My spell checker did change my spelling of Colombia. Out of professional experience with the country and the US State Departments travel warnings to Colombia. My opinion and view point on where and what country I choose to travel still stands.

US State Dept has ranked Colombia a Level 2 for 2018

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-advisory.html
[EDIT -- I just reread your comment and noticed you do have professional experience with Colombia and aren't just basing your comment solely on the guidelines, but my comment stands for others that are using the State Department guidelines for research]

Not to be a jerk, but I wouldn't base a blanket decision on where to travel based on State Department guidelines. They are useful starting points for research, but hardly definitive as to whether a country is safe. Most of Western Europe is level 2 because of terrorism, but that wouldn't stop me from going to Western Europe.

I've never been to Colombia and have no view on how safe it is, just trying to make a point that State Department travel guidelines need to be taken with a grain of salt.
run23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2018, 12:42 AM   #101
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by run23 View Post
[EDIT -- I noticed you do have professional experience with Colombia and aren't just basing your comment solely on the guidelines, but my comment stands for others that are using the State Department guidelines for research]

Not to be a jerk, but I wouldn't base a blanket decision on where to travel based on State Department guidelines. They are useful starting points for research, but hardly definitive as to whether a country is safe. Most of Western Europe is level 2 because of terrorism, but that wouldn't stop me from going to Western Europe.

I've never been to Colombia and have no view on how safe it is, just trying to make a point that State Department travel guidelines need to be taken with a grain of salt.
That’s why I cautiously mentioned “professional experience” as a threat assessment to traveling to this particular country at this time. If it’s on your “bucket list” as a have to see country then I would leave your Rolex at home and travel smartly. Nuf said and back to Rolex.
Old 17 February 2018, 12:46 AM   #102
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
My sister's step son, so I guess my step nephew lives there and loves it. He has lived there for years and says he never wants to come home.

but he is also broke af.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2018, 01:14 AM   #103
Skyrider01
2024 Pledge Member

I go to Colombia quite frequently, mostly Bogota, and was in Cartagena in August.
My girlfriend is Colombian, and even she suggests I wear one of my other watches when we go there.

Rolex is well known internationally as a high end brand, and it can bring attention to you. If you are a foreign tourist, that already draws attention, and no need for additional attention wearing flashy expensive things.

Since all my high end watches are insured, the issue is not of them being stolen, but of personal safety in the event of a robbery attempt.

As always, common sense prevails. Don't venture into bad areas or get involved with the wrong people. But this applies to any place in the world. If you want to wear a Rolex, you will most likely be fine doing so. But if you are going to worry about what you are wearing, you won't be able to enjoy your vacation. For me personally, I have other watches that are more under the radar, and when I travel anywhere in South and Central America, I wear one of those.

Colombia is much safer now than it once was. It's a beautiful country with great people. Enjoy your trip!
Skyrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2018, 01:26 AM   #104
Bo-Dacious
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
My sister's step son, so I guess my step nephew lives there and loves it. He has lived there for years and says he never wants to come home.

but he is also broke af.
Bo-Dacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2018, 01:37 AM   #105
ACF1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DD40
I´m from Colombia, from the Caribbean Coast near to Cartagena.

This is a nice Country, better people and food and Cartagena is a beautiful and funny City, and I´m sure you are going to feel safe, but DON´T bring your Rolex.

Right Now in Colombia exists a specialized criminal band named "Los Rolex", that only steal Rolex and the are all over the country.

So come to Cartagena, enjoy and relax... but no Rolex please
ACF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2018, 01:53 AM   #106
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Clear it with one of the cartels and you will be perfectly safe; they will look out for you. That is all I will say on the subject. Enjoy your stay.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2018, 02:01 AM   #107
Yuri.Popov
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner C
I never wear mine when I go to Cartagena or other cities in Colombia, as well Ecuador, Peru, or any Latin countries. Better be safe. BTW it's Colombia NOT Columbia
Yuri.Popov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2018, 02:10 AM   #108
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Old thread but I would leave the rolex at home. This is why Hans made Tudor.
Old 17 February 2018, 02:18 AM   #109
Juantxo
Banned

Colombia, not Columbia... huge difference. Indeed, be careful. Colombia is full of pickpockets and worse.
Juantxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2018, 02:42 AM   #110
Zestywesley
"TRF" Member

Do you really want to risk losing a hand and your Rolex by listening to those telling you to bring your Rolex?
Zestywesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 03:23 AM   #111
totetolima
"TRF" Member

Old thread but its worth giving some important advice. Dont wear your Rolex in Colombia please. There are many criminal bands that exclusively rob Rolex watches.

Famous colombian soccer goalkeeper Faryd Mondragon got his Rolex Explorer stolen at the most important mall in Bogota. A friend of mine arrived last week from a business trip to Mexico, took an Uber at El Dorado airport and a few blocks away some guys in a motorcyle pointed a gun at him, got his two month old Explorer II stolen. Another friend of mine was walking on Parque Lleras in Medellin and same story with his Datejust.

They have people at airports, restaurants, malls checking wrists and looking for rolex watches so please leave them at home.

By the way, Colombia is worth a visit, just be careful and get advice from a local.
totetolima is offline   Reply With Quote