The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 April 2018, 09:28 AM   #151
zama
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4 Broken glass
My second hand DD platinum 36mm
My WG Daytona
A vintage Snow flake Tudor Sub....
zama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 09:43 AM   #152
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doboy007 View Post
Hulk, BLNR, and Daytona WG OF.
No.

Hulk.

New SS Pepsi.

Blue moonphase omega speedie.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 09:54 AM   #153
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
116500 white dial, 16610LV, 16710 Pepsi/Coke (2 inserts but one watch). Well under 50k but I could easily stop there for the sake of this question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. Very impressive. Although, I’d trade the Daytona for a vintage Day Date.

The Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 09:58 AM   #154
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
Lange 1 Timezone - $35k
16710 Master II - $10k
Reverso - $5k (alright, alright, so it was $7k. I found $2k in change down the back of the couch.).

The third I have. Picking up the second in three weeks. The first... er, yeah... let me get back to you.

The Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 11:05 AM   #155
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
DD40 RG olive dial ($26K)
AP 15400 blue dial ($18K)
14060 2 liner ($6K)

BAM!
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 11:06 AM   #156
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
but see the thread title is '$50k for a 3 watch collection', not '$50k to add to your own collection'. That's the reason I find it quite odd, if your collection already exceeds $50k, and the Lange was part of your '3 watch collection' suggestion......why haven't you moved other pieces to add the Lange then?

Not picking an argument, just genuinely curious!
I figured I get around to it later. If anything 1815 Chrono and Datos are getting less expensive.

I did put one watch I have and one which is arguably a worse version of a watch I have. 2/3 ain’t bad.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 11:07 AM   #157
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
These are my favorite threads!
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 11:09 AM   #158
ccaballero
"TRF" Member

Watch: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
116500 white dial, 16610LV, 16710 Pepsi/Coke (2 inserts but one watch). Well under 50k but I could easily stop there for the sake of this question.

Agreed except I’d substitute SD43 for Daytona
ccaballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 11:11 AM   #159
ccaballero
"TRF" Member

Watch: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopheran View Post
My collection is the following:
116710BLNR - My GMT
116500 white - My chronograph
126600 (I’m still on the hunt for this one.) - My diver

The boss thinks more than 3 at a time is excessive.
Great collection. SD43 will be great addition
ccaballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 11:40 AM   #160
MinMay
Banned

116500 white (20K at grey market)
116500 black (20K at grey market)
116500 white (12K at AD reserve)

nothing else matters.
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 11:47 AM   #161
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
why spend 50k?

seems like an arbitrary budget.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 11:53 AM   #162
Gunbucker
"TRF" Member

For me, it will be:

1) A good condition 1675 with a unique Patina ($18k~20k), with B&P of course
2) Either the 116520 black dial, or the 116500 white dial ($15k)
3) A dive watch you feel comfortable with, either the Sub, the SD43, or the DSSD

This way, you cover the vintage, the GMT, the chrono, and the dive watch bases. Of course, this is purely a sports watch collection, so no precious metals here.
Gunbucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 12:03 PM   #163
Finslayer83
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600
If one could be found for the price - 5517 sword hands
Finslayer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 12:10 PM   #164
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I find it quite odd how many people put Lange in this thread, which means they’re obviously big fans of their designs, yet it seems nobody actually owns one. Weird...
I have two, including the one in my post. I like their Teutonic designs and they offer a lot of watch for the money.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 12:18 PM   #165
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justindo View Post
I have two, including the one in my post. I like their Teutonic designs and they offer a lot of watch for the money.
I feel you’re an exception, about the part of owning it.

I like their designs too, a lot, one of my favorite makers. I’m commenting, because it seems I see a lot of people suggest Lange when a thread pops up such as ‘what would you do in a 3 watch collection’ or ‘4 pieces only, what would you choose’. Then I look at their signature, they own multiple pieces, can obviously afford a Lange, yet they don’t have one. What gives?
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 12:40 PM   #166
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccaballero View Post
Agreed except I’d substitute SD43 for Daytona

SD43 would be a great choice too!

Old 25 April 2018, 12:59 PM   #167
eyeheartny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I feel you’re an exception, about the part of owning it.

I like their designs too, a lot, one of my favorite makers. I’m commenting, because it seems I see a lot of people suggest Lange when a thread pops up such as ‘what would you do in a 3 watch collection’ or ‘4 pieces only, what would you choose’. Then I look at their signature, they own multiple pieces, can obviously afford a Lange, yet they don’t have one. What gives?
Extremely limited production is a big part of it. Lange only makes about 5-7k watches a year. So they are going to be much rarer in the wild than other brands. I also think plenty of people are aware that Lange's resale value plummets, so folks may (reasonably or not) worry about losing $ on a purchase.

Finally, I think the elephant in the room/the real driver is name recognition. As beautiful as Lange watches are, they aren't pieces that anyone outside of serious watch folks will even be aware of brand-wise, let alone notice. As much as folks claim that they "buy for themselves" or "don't care what other people think," my hypothesis is that's fundamentally not true for many people. I maintain that people do care very much about what other people think of their watches, if only that the pieces convey wealth, status, power, etc with a brand that's recognizable. There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with that, but I think that a brand that's as under the radar as Lange doesn't scratch that itch. They're the kind of watch that isn't going to get a lot of attention, and I surmise that for many people that lowers the appeal of actually owning one. I also think that many people don't let themselves acknowledge this part of the watch shopping/buying/owning process, but consumer behavior speaks loudly here: Lange's stagnant inventory (reported by many members here), poor resale value, and high prices supports your general claim that people like the pieces but don't buy them.
eyeheartny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 01:03 PM   #168
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeheartny View Post
Extremely limited production is a big part of it. Lange only makes about 5-7k watches a year. So they are going to be much rarer in the wild than other brands. I also think plenty of people are aware that Lange's resale value plummets, so folks may (reasonably or not) worry about losing $ on a purchase.

Finally, I think the elephant in the room/the real driver is name recognition. As beautiful as Lange watches are, they aren't pieces that anyone outside of serious watch folks will even be aware of brand-wise, let alone notice. As much as folks claim that they "buy for themselves" or "don't care what other people think," my hypothesis is that's fundamentally not true for many people. I maintain that people do care very much about what other people think of their watches, if only that the pieces convey wealth, status, power, etc with a brand that's recognizable. There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with that, but I think that a brand that's as under the radar as Lange doesn't scratch that itch. They're the kind of watch that isn't going to get a lot of attention, and I surmise that for many people that lowers the appeal of actually owning one. I also think that many people don't let themselves acknowledge this part of the watch shopping/buying/owning process, but consumer behavior speaks loudly here: Lange's stagnant inventory (reported by many members here), poor resale value, and high prices supports your general claim that people like the pieces but don't buy them.
I very much agree with you.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 01:50 PM   #169
rolehex
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

5711 Blue used ~$38k
Rolex 16710 GMT, used ~$9k
Omega Speedmaster, used ~$3k
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 07:14 AM   #170
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This still kind of doesn’t address my question though. I can see your point about why people wouldn’t want a Lange, but then why list it in ‘the watches I would own, if I could only own 3’.

If you say ‘I’ve got $50k for a car, what am I going to buy’.....you go and buy that exact car.

Here I see ‘you have $50k for watches, what would you buy’....and guys with $50k collections list off watches that they don’t own.

Maybe I’m just over analyzing, and arguing to be arguing, idk. It just makes zero sense to me and is something I find incredibly odd. If I want something and have the means to do it, why would I buy something else? Lol..
Old 26 April 2018, 07:16 AM   #171
eyeheartny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This still kind of doesn’t address my question though.

If you say ‘I’ve got $50k for a car, what am I going to buy’.....you go and buy that exact car.

Here I see ‘you have $50k for watches, what would you buy’....and guys with $50k collections list off watches that they don’t own.

Maybe I’m just over analyzing, just makes zero sense to me and is incredibly odd. If I obviously want something and have the means to do it, why would I buy something else? Lol..

I think I was saying in a roundabout way that people don’t actually want them as much as they think/say they do. They think they want them but the deeper realities of watch buying take over and people make decisions based on other factors. Money talks so the lack of purchasing is where the truth is.

There’s a gap between what people think they want and how they vote with their dollars.
eyeheartny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 07:17 AM   #172
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think I was saying in a roundabout way that people don’t actually want them as much as they think/say they do. They think they want them but the deeper realities of watch buying take over and people make decisions based on other factors. Money talks so the lack of purchasing is where the truth is.

There’s a gap between what people think they want and how they vote with their dollars.
Yeah, I think that’s the most plausible answer
Old 26 April 2018, 07:58 AM   #173
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

A Lange 1815 up down, stainless steel daytona, vacheron constantin overseas chrono or AP royal oak in blue
EdwardC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 08:01 AM   #174
Submaster
"TRF" Member

DD40 rose with either brown dial
Daytona C black
SD4000
Submaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 08:15 AM   #175
peticks
"TRF" Member

Rolex Daytona Zenith White