The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 25 February 2018, 12:53 PM   #91
Bond's First Watch
Banned

Watch: Only the 114060
I must be anal retentive. My Sub that I've been wearing since new still has some of the original stickers still on it. I take them off one at a time (and save them).
Old 25 February 2018, 12:54 PM   #92
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

I never let anyone touch my watches as I adjust them. I won’t let a AD even handle my watch. Working at a AD has no guarantee the salesman knows anything about watches or possesses any skill with proper handeling of them.
That said, I would be asking for a reason why the stickers were taken off considering I clearly have instructions not to remove them. It’s more of factor of......following my direct instructions with a piece of my property. How it was answered would direct my course of action. If it was their policy to remove them, then why not say this as we are discussing my “don’t remove the sticker” request. Either they didn’t listen to a word I said, or removed the stickers in a sneaky way behind my back.

This is a great example why to by from our trusted sellers as I can assure you DavidSW,Tony, etc is very particular and states a BNIB has all their stickers or only partially stockered. Stickers do matter as a point of reference in how factory fresh a watch is delivered. Heck most even want the coffin case if possible. If the OP’s left without their bracelet screws not buggered up, he has won the bigger victory.

I personally enjoy removing all my stickers. A private ritual that gives me my Rolex first virgin inspection.

Old 25 February 2018, 12:56 PM   #93
bswanson
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sky Dweller 326935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
I never let anyone touch my watches as I adjust them. That said, I would be asking for a reason why the stickers were taken off considering I clearly have instructions not to remove them. It’s more of factor of......following my direct instructions with a piece of my property. This is a great example why to by from our trusted sellers as I can assure you DavidSW is very particular and states a BNIB has all their stickers or only partially stockered. Stickers do matter as a point of reference in how factory fresh a watch is delivered. Heck most even want the coffin case if possible.
Yep, this is pretty much the point.

Also to answer your question, I asked why they did that after we had just agreed not to literally 5 minutes earlier, and the tech said it was an honest mistake, and he was so used to pulling them off he did it out of habit.
Old 25 February 2018, 01:01 PM   #94
twitch54
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1888 Appleton Trac
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Stickers aren’t meant to be on a watch if you are going to wear it.
exactly, why would you size it then !! and I thought I was anal, get over it !
Old 25 February 2018, 01:07 PM   #95
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by bswanson View Post
I took my brand new BLNR with stickers (purchased 2/20) to a well known AD in SoCal to size it for my wrist.

My plan was to size it and put it back into the safe to hold on to. Possibly wearing during special events, or maybe around the house when feeling saucy, but definitely keeping stickers on and definitely keeping the watch in perfect condition.

I gave the watch to the person at the counter, who handed it off to the tech on duty. While she did this, I mentioned to both of them that I'd like the stickers kept on the watch, but understood if one had to be removed to get links out. We all had a good laugh about wearing a watch with stickers, and the tech took it into the back.

About 5 minutes of browsing later, I got the watch back, with 2 links taken out and absolutely zero stickers left on the watch. Once I noticed, I immediately turned white.

I'm going to stop the story right here and ask, if you were in my position, what would you have done here? Would you have blown up? Would you have chalked it up to a misunderstanding and say oh well, they must come off sometime?

I am pretty frustrated right now, as I had planned on keeping this watch in as perfect condition as possible and thought it was extremely clear what my intentions were before giving the watch up to be sized.

Right now, I'd like to hear how others would have handled this situation, and what your reaction would have been had you been in my shoes.

i would never be in this situation but, see bold.

enjoy the watch.

Old 25 February 2018, 01:10 PM   #96
Jerodp716
"TRF" Member

Wow.
Old 25 February 2018, 01:15 PM   #97
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yep, this is pretty much the point.

Also to answer your question, I asked why they did that after we had just agreed not to literally 5 minutes earlier, and the tech said it was an honest mistake, and he was so used to pulling them off he did it out of habit.
That’s total crap as it takes some effort to remove all the stickers. So he totally forgot our previous conversation out of “habit”? This idiot shouldn’t be around any tools and your watch if that was the case. He could easily “forget” to tighten your link screws or use the proper screwdriver size. Consider yourself lucky your watch wasn’t butchered. Just avoid this AD from now on as they are a bit too cavalier for your standards (and most WIS).
Old 25 February 2018, 01:15 PM   #98
donq
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610,1675,16030
I remember seeing an old Rolex pamphlet that had the title "I want a good watch.".
It espoused the values of a Rolex as a quality, long lasting timepiece.

Things have obviously changed over the decades so I would like to propose some more up to date titles..

1) I want a watch to keep the stickers on and wear whilst feeling saucy.

2) I want a watch that will increase steadily in value at minimum 5% a year.

3) I want a watch with a tiny flaw/misprint that will increase it's value tenfold.

4) I want a watch I can wear in the hot tub.

5) I want a watch that matches my car's steering wheel.

6) I want a watch I can photograph in an airplane.

7) I want a watch I can photograph with a glass of booze.

8) I want a watch, but I have to spend months waiting for it, and I shouldn't have to.

9) I want a watch to stick in a safe for twenty years until I give it to my kid.

10) I want a watch that I can nickname after a child's comic book.
Old 25 February 2018, 01:17 PM   #99
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt941 View Post
Buy your own set or screw drivers and learn to size your own watch so you can control the stickers.
Bingo. By taking the watch to an AD to size it you were at their mercy. Learn how to size your own brackets. It is easy peasy. Buy the correct screwdriver. $20. There are plenty of YouTube videos if you need help.
Old 25 February 2018, 01:19 PM   #100
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Bingo. By taking the watch to an AD to size it you were at their mercy. Learn how to size your own brackets. It is easy peasy. Buy the correct screwdriver. $20. There are plenty of YouTube videos if you need help.
^^^and it’s rewarding. You probably will size your watch more precisely since you can do it any time.

Sizing a older Omega pin and collar bracelet makes a Rolex bracelet sizing seem pathetically easy in comparison.
Old 25 February 2018, 01:22 PM   #101
rodo
"TRF" Member

I would be pissed. Your watch, your stickers
Old 25 February 2018, 01:30 PM   #102
bswanson
2024 Pledge Member

Interesting debate this thread has started.

I'm honestly surprised at how many of you didn't even answer the question, but rather simply zeroed in on something about sticker removal policies or bracelet sizing. This isn't simply about the stickers themselves.

Can you seriously tell me that you wouldn't be pissed off if someone you had agreed with literally 5 minutes ago not to do something to your property proceeded to do exactly that to your property? Whether I wanted to keep the watch in a safe with stickers on it for my great grandchildren in 80 years, or immediately ride down a water slide with it, it doesn't really matter. When you buy something, it's yours. You can do with it as you please.

Either way, I appreciate all the responses, and you've all made me feel a bit better (even the ones piling on and making silly arguments).
Old 25 February 2018, 01:32 PM   #103
bswanson
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donq View Post
I remember seeing an old Rolex pamphlet that had the title "I want a good watch.".
It espoused the values of a Rolex as a quality, long lasting timepiece.

Things have obviously changed over the decades so I would like to propose some more up to date titles..

1) I want a watch to keep the stickers on and wear whilst feeling saucy.

2) I want a watch that will increase steadily in value at minimum 5% a year.

3) I want a watch with a tiny flaw/misprint that will increase it's value tenfold.

4) I want a watch I can wear in the hot tub.

5) I want a watch that matches my car's steering wheel.

6) I want a watch I can photograph in an airplane.

7) I want a watch I can photograph with a glass of booze.

8) I want a watch, but I have to spend months waiting for it, and I shouldn't have to.

9) I want a watch to stick in a safe for twenty years until I give it to my kid.

10) I want a watch that I can nickname after a child's comic book.
Kids these days, am I right?

Don't even know what it's like walking 15 miles in the snow, up hill both ways to work. Too soft.
Old 25 February 2018, 01:36 PM   #104
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:

I'm honestly surprised at how many of you didn't even answer the question, but rather simply zeroed in on something about sticker removal policies or bracelet sizing. This isn't simply about the stickers themselves.

Can you seriously tell me that you wouldn't be pissed off if someone you had agreed with literally 5 minutes ago not to do something to your property proceeded to do exactly that to your property? Whether I wanted to keep the watch in a safe with stickers on it for my great grandchildren in 80 years, or immediately ride down a water slide with it, it doesn't really matter. When you buy something, it's yours. You can do with it as you please.

Either way, I appreciate all the responses, and you've all made me feel a bit better (even the ones piling on and making silly arguments).
I may be pissed for 5 minutes then I would be over it and so should you. There are plenty other things in life that make this very trivial.
Old 25 February 2018, 01:42 PM   #105
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
The watch will not be BNIB if you are wearing it - with or without the stickers.
agree with...no longer BNIB - if wearing and if sized
Old 25 February 2018, 01:50 PM   #106
Yousefsl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
Its supposed to be standard practice removing stickers at the AD. Not all comply it seems. The watch is meant to be enjoyed and worn. Next time invest in a nice hollow ground screwdriver and have the ability to do it yourself. Many AD's butcher the screw heads because they dont know what there doing. You should feel lucky if they didnt round yours off. I would never trust them to do that.
Agree 100% the only time I got my watch sized at the dealer when I got home I noticed they scratched the bracelet as well as ruining the screw. Never again.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 25 February 2018, 02:24 PM   #107
Yousefsl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond's First Watch View Post
I must be anal retentive. My Sub that I've been wearing since new still has some of the original stickers still on it. I take them off one at a time (and save them).
Same here

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 25 February 2018, 02:47 PM   #108
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I think everyone would be upset regarding the (your) circumstance. But at the end of the day, what are your monetary damages? That is pretty much all that matters apart from your feelings.
Old 25 February 2018, 02:54 PM   #109
wnjstm
"TRF" Member

My AD also removed most of the stickers after they sized my Sub today. The watch was completely wrapped. He did not say anything about the stickers before I paid the watch. But after I made the payment, he told me that he had to remove all stickers due to Rolex orders to all AD to remove the stickers after the watches are sold.
I was pissed and stopped him to remove the stickers on the clasp. He already removed all the stickers on the case and several parts of the clasp. It was not happy with it because he touched my watch without any excuses.
Old 25 February 2018, 03:02 PM   #110
daytonastl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolr View Post
While agree they should have respected your wishes there's not much you can do about it now, other than be upset.
I size my watches myself and remove the stickers when done. I have never been forced to remove the stickers at my AD.
This is the best answer to the OP's actual question.
Old 25 February 2018, 03:13 PM   #111
GFONG
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange / Rolex
Quote:

I understand your frustration. Did you purchase the watch from them? Do you pay them for the services? Is the guy talked to you resize the watch for you?

The protective stickers is to protect the watch from scratching when people trying it. (You know a lot of people like to try watches even they don’t have intentions to buy.) IMHO, It should be removed when giving it customers.
Old 25 February 2018, 03:16 PM   #112
Steerpike999
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Stickers aren’t meant to be on a watch if you are going to wear it.
Old 25 February 2018, 03:17 PM   #113
cdnwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Fine. Would love the option to remove them myself at the time of my choosing if spending $9,000 on a watch.

You disagree?
Yes. Get a grip on life.
Old 25 February 2018, 03:18 PM   #114
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Why? Rolex USA policy is to remove the stickers before the owner leaves with it. It’s too bad but it is what it is and the AD who originally sold didn’t follow new protocol.
True, while it was with the original AD before it changed hands it was their property. The 2nd AD really had no rights to the watch whatsoever. Seems like it could be a case for small claims court if push came to shove.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
Old 25 February 2018, 03:21 PM   #115
cdnwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I This isn't simply about the stickers themselves.

Can you seriously tell me that you wouldn't be pissed off if someone you had agreed with literally 5 minutes ago not to do something to your property proceeded to do exactly that to your property?
Seriously yes. I never would have made such a nonsensical request. Maybe next time I buy a car I will demand they leave the plastic covers on the seats.

Old 25 February 2018, 04:08 PM   #116
Rsubnodate
"TRF" Member

Happened to me in December when getting a brand new watch sized at AD. I did not mention anything about not removing stickers but didn’t mind because I plan to wear it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 25 February 2018, 04:14 PM   #117
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Old 25 February 2018, 04:14 PM   #118
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
I would have used my own screwdrivers to size my own watch. It’s not rocket science and your inability to do a simple task yourself is the root cause of your frustration. Yes they were wrong in removing the stickers, it takes 1-2 minutes to size a bracelet yourself.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Old 25 February 2018, 04:18 PM   #119
jstan9
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT BLNR
Quote:
I took my brand new BLNR with stickers (purchased 2/20) to a well known AD in SoCal to size it for my wrist.

My plan was to size it and put it back into the safe to hold on to. Possibly wearing during special events, or maybe around the house when feeling saucy, but definitely keeping stickers on and definitely keeping the watch in perfect condition.

I gave the watch to the person at the counter, who handed it off to the tech on duty. While she did this, I mentioned to both of them that I'd like the stickers kept on the watch, but understood if one had to be removed to get links out. We all had a good laugh about wearing a watch with stickers, and the tech took it into the back.

About 5 minutes of browsing later, I got the watch back, with 2 links taken out and absolutely zero stickers left on the watch. Once I noticed, I immediately turned white.

I'm going to stop the story right here and ask, if you were in my position, what would you have done here? Would you have blown up? Would you have chalked it up to a misunderstanding and say oh well, they must come off sometime?

I am pretty frustrated right now, as I had planned on keeping this watch in as perfect condition as possible and thought it was extremely clear what my intentions were before giving the watch up to be sized.

Right now, I'd like to hear how others would have handled this situation, and what your reaction would have been had you been in my shoes.
Frustrated, yes. But your watch *is* in perfect condition. And if you wear it, it won’t be. Enjoy this beautiful watch. I noticed a scratch on day one with my blnr back in June of last year. I spent a day fretting and then...moved on.

If you put this in a safe you can still present it as pristine. The stickers don’t define that. Wear or park it. It’s your watch to do do with as you please.
Old 25 February 2018, 04:34 PM   #120
LazySumday
"TRF" Member

I know you spent $9k on your watch and all, but really, is that even a serious question? Enjoy your watch and feel proud that you can afford such a. Beautiful piece. I can assure you that people wearing your same watch, people that can afford them and enjoy them, are not worrying about stickers. Keeping stickers on a watch is akin to having plastic on your furniture...tacky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Closed Thread