The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 March 2018, 10:54 PM   #61
rossi46
"TRF" Member

Watch: shopping
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogtown Fatty View Post
it's always been about giving the market grossly fewer pieces than it wants in order to maintain peak desirability.
Except that has never been the case for Subs, never been the case for GMTs, and never been the case for SDs. Compared to the entire history of Rolex, this has been happening for about 5 minutes.

And all of the sudden everyone's making out as if this has been the Rolex mo since forever?!

It's incredible how people can rewrite history in order to justify the behavior of something they love. How in the world did all those Vietnam-era soldiers get to buy their Subs if there were "grossly fewer pieces" than they wanted? I can guarantee you there were no 10-year waiting lists back then.

As recent as a year ago I could get $1k off retail for any Sub I wanted from a forum reseller. The only way that's possible is if there was a slight excess in inventory compared to demand. All of this justification of what Rolex is doing right now and acting as if that's always been the case is ridiculous.
Old 23 March 2018, 10:56 PM   #62
BadBlue
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny84 View Post
Remember the days you had to wait 2 years to receive your new Ferrari or pay over sticker on the used market?

Same exact concept.
BadBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 11:00 PM   #63
mechia
"TRF" Member

If people have cash in hand, it’s possible to get any brand new Rolex within days. Just be prepared to pay over retail, it’s that simple really. In this day and age, the AD is only 1 channel of getting a Rolex, there are others. The premium you pay on the grey is just the luxury of “jumping the queue”.
mechia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 11:06 PM   #64
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi46 View Post

As recent as a year ago I could get $1k off retail for any Sub I wanted from a forum reseller. The only way that's possible is if there was a slight excess in inventory compared to demand. All of this justification of what Rolex is doing right now and acting as if that's always been the case is ridiculous.

I think there had been an imbalance in the US because some AD’s received sports models that didn’t sell locally. Then they moved them out at a discount through gray market.

At the same time, at other AD’s the Subs flew off the showcases in a day or two. Maybe since 2017 RUSA has tightened up - or Rolex SA did - but since this time last year secondary market prices have moved up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 11:19 PM   #65
Mfrankel2
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43,d-Blue, 16710
There's a few ways to look at this but in my personal opinion, much of the frustration is self induced. If you really want one of the newly released references, you can typically get one soon after they "hit the market" thru sources other than an AD. Yes, if you want it immediately you'll pay more than what Rolex states the price should be but we live in a free market economy. Pretend it's gasoline; price goes up and down based on demand. If you really need the diet coke and the velvet tray, you have the option to wait for it. When you stop thinking of the "list price" as some sacrosanct number, you're back in a world where you can have it if you want. Thanks to this forum and many of the trusted sellers, buying hard to find piece is not a risky venture. I'd venture to say that in many ways, even at the same price I'd still prefer to purchase my watches that way
Mfrankel2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 11:20 PM   #66
rossi46
"TRF" Member

Watch: shopping
post deleted
Old 23 March 2018, 11:25 PM   #67
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi46 View Post
Sorry, Paul, but that was not the case last March. I bought the Sub BNIB $1k less than retail from DavidSW, who we all know typically has the highest prices of US-based resellers. The hike did not start happening until later in the summer.

And my main point still stands: it's wrong to say that this push for scarcity/exclusivity has been the Rolex mo since forever. In fact, outside of the Daytona (which itself is a somewhat recent phenomenon), Rolex couldn't sell enough watches - sport models included. There were ADs everywhere, billboards on sides of highways, advertisements in Motor Trend, and absolutely no shortage of sports models.

1mil watches per year =! exclusive

My syntax may have been faulty. I meant since this time last year - as in then prices were below MSRP - things have gone up.

In August I bought a preowned Platona full set for $10k less than today’s asking prices. Of course asking isn’t getting.

And many Subs were available at the levels you mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 01:51 AM   #68
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Rolex knows what they are doing.

We only know what we want.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 02:09 AM   #69
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes77 View Post
I don’t know watks the point but I think work better if we consider Rolex it’s number 1 on the watch brands who keep there value.
x2!!!
Old 27 March 2018, 02:13 AM   #70
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
Exactly. And so many fall for it.
Not me.
Me either.
yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2018, 02:49 AM   #71
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Whats the point?

you need to covet it, and go to the end of the earth to find it, and then never take it off. Be like Gollum

current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2018, 02:55 AM   #72
mementomori1983
"TRF" Member

Sorry to say this OP, but like it or not your reaction is exactly what Rolex is aiming for.
mementomori1983 is offline   Reply With Quote