The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 March 2018, 06:16 AM   #1
Vicious49
"TRF" Member

My Rolex story - new chapters added monthly

I was never big on Rolex due to the connotations associated with it and the fact that everyone and their mom knows Rolex - I don't like drawing attention to myself. I finally decided to give in and buy my first Rolex once my wife gave me the go ahead.

I walked in to an AD 3 months ago and picked up a 114060 SubC. Great watch as it is built like a tank and the bracelet on it nothing short of amazing. Buying the 114060 was a bad idea . . . as it was an eye opener.

A month later I walked in to a local jeweler that only carries pre-owned watches including quite a few Rolexes. I tried on a Polar 16570. I always thought the watch looked bland in pictures but in person I fell in love immediately. I went back home and did some research and ended up purchasing one with drilled lug holes and SELs. (side note - I had no idea what SELs meant only a few months earlier)

I've since been kind of struggling with the SubC. While it is amazing in build quality and that bracelet is the best on the market, the watch always felt sterile to me and something about the fat lugs always felt off. I felt even stronger about this after picking up the polar. As they shared the same case, I've been looking at 16710 GMTs recently. Not being known for my patience and impulse control, I walked in to the same jeweler this past week and ended up grabbing a Pepsi 16700.

I love the Polar and the GMT and love the way these older ones wear despite the rattly bracelets. I now need to sell the SubC but am wondering how do you guys ship a watch worth that much? FedEx only lets you insure up to $1K and I've lost faith in USPS recently.

Sorry fellas, I tried to post pics since I know everyone loves pics but the forum won't let me until I have more posts.
Vicious49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2018, 09:57 AM   #2
Vicious49
"TRF" Member

Yay! I can post pics.

Old 26 March 2018, 12:25 PM   #3
Vicious49
"TRF" Member

Can anyone help me with the shipping question? I asked my local jeweler and he said he has a commercial account so he can insure up to $100K. What is an average individual to use?
Old 26 March 2018, 12:43 PM   #4
Timetracker
"TRF" Member

Fedex will ship any value you want.....it’s just gonna cost you for extra insurance.
Timetracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2018, 12:50 PM   #5
Vicious49
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timetracker View Post
Fedex will ship any value you want.....it’s just gonna cost you for extra insurance.
I've been told by them in the past that if it's jewelry (which is what they classify a men's watch as) the maximum insured amount is $1k. This has happened to me on several occasions when I've tried shipping watches in the $2-$3k range.

Just found this on the FedEx site:

"When it comes to jewelry shipments, the maximum declared value is limited to $1,000. If you need to ship jewelry for a special occasion or for a repair, please contact your insurance provider to make sure your jewelry is covered. Declared value is not insurance, and FedEx does not sell insurance.

If you ship jewelry on a regular basis, FedEx offers FedEx Declared Value Exception service. This contract-only service enables eligible shippers to declare a value up to $50,000 on jewelry items. It is not available for one-time jewelry shipments."
Old 26 March 2018, 12:52 PM   #6
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious49 View Post
Can anyone help me with the shipping question? I asked my local jeweler and he said he has a commercial account so he can insure up to $100K. What is an average individual to use?

First. Congrats. You have a fantastic collection.

As for shipping. Use Parcel Pro. Basically you create an account directly with them. Then you choose your shipping carrier, either Fedex or UPS. You also choose your insurance amount, usually up to $50,000 and you’re done.

Parcel Pro is very different than the “insurance” you get directly through the carriers. Which isn’t insurance at all. When you insure through Parcel Pro you’re buying actual insurance with a third party.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 26 March 2018, 01:02 PM   #7
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
I ship FedEX and UPS. They allow me to buy lots of insurance with my biz accounts. I need to check how high they will allow me to go, insurance-wise. I believe it's $50k for UPS and FedEe. I know FedEX allows high insurance purchases also through via eBay and it's also jewelry sales. Then again, as mentioned FedEX, does offer jewelry-specific insurance that a form must be filled out for regular jewelry sellers.

https://www.ups.com/assets/resources...ing_retail.pdf

Both UPS and FedEX charge $1 per $100 of insured value above the first $100. E.g. $6,000 of insurance is $59 plus the cost sending the package.
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2018, 01:04 PM   #8
MinMay
Banned

I heard Parcel Pro...
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2018, 01:24 PM   #9
Vicious49
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the Parcel Pro suggestion. I just looked and their site and it appears geared more towards businesses. Can I sign up with them?

Regarding the insurance you can purchase with UPS and FedEx, I came across this thread which was a horrific read:
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/impo...ex-943442.html
Old 26 March 2018, 02:51 PM   #10
Andrejb
2024 Pledge Member

Similar collection! Picked up my 16710 on Thursday.

Andrejb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2018, 03:27 PM   #11
topfuel25
Banned

Starting to sound like a blog ? Congrats
topfuel25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2018, 03:36 PM   #12
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
Vicious49 beautiful collection
Old 26 March 2018, 09:03 PM   #13
Vicious49
"TRF" Member

Lovely patina on that GMT2. I wonder why some tritium dials develop better/more patina than others.

Not a blog. The new chapters added monthly was a tongue in cheek way of saying I've basically added a new Rolex each month since I got in to them recently. That obviously has to stop.
Old 26 March 2018, 09:08 PM   #14
MonBK
Banned

Ship with USPS registered mail.

It's by far the safest way but takes a few days extra.

Rolex them self use it for a reason.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2018, 09:34 PM   #15
iangbris
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1655, 116610
Can’t help with your parcels but nice air land and sea collection. Here is mine with slightly different references. Wear them in health.

iangbris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2018, 11:06 PM   #16
MCO1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C white
That is a great collection! I would think long and hard about letting the Sub go. I have found it enjoyable having pieces in my collection from both generations.
MCO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2018, 11:10 PM   #17
Jamiewabbit
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea dweller
Wow nice wicked explorer Ian! Cheers!
Jamiewabbit is offline   Reply With Quote