The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 3 April 2018, 11:32 AM   #1
Nicholoso
"TRF" Member

Extremed damage/Insurance Claim questions

So I had a slight incident on Easter Sunday while I was holding my 1 1/2 year old. Long story short I tripped and thankfully was able to roll my daughter onto the grass as I fell. I unfortunately landed on the concrete and my leg and arm broke my fall. My left arm of course. That being said, my 3 week old DJ II basically slid on the side walk and now looks like it was ran over by a car with extremely deep gouges all along the bracelet and case. The good news is that I insured it. My questions becomes this...

Does Rolex pretty much replace the entire case and bracelet because I can't see buffing fixing it being how deep the damage is? At that point does the cost become so excessive that I am better off replacing for a new watch? Not sure what my best course of action it but maybe someone that has had a similar situation can shed some light or insight. Any help is appreciated! Thank you.

Nick
Nicholoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2018, 10:57 PM   #2
watchmaker
TechXpert

If you are planning this to be an insurance claim I would make that clear when you send the watch in for repair. Request they quote to return the watch to stock condition with itemised listing of all replacement parts required to do this. They will be more than happy to offer you this as it won’t be a cheap repair.

Scott
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2018, 11:09 PM   #3
spoilsofwar01
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Rainclouds
I'm please that there's no injury's to your daughter so all's well,

watches can be repaired / replaced, id be inclined to leave it as is, present it to her when she 21 explaining the whole story,

can you post some picture of the watch, others on here will be able to advise what needs to be done to put it right, if at all.
spoilsofwar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2018, 11:21 PM   #4
Nicholoso
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
If you are planning this to be an insurance claim I would make that clear when you send the watch in for repair. Request they quote to return the watch to stock condition with itemised listing of all replacement parts required to do this. They will be more than happy to offer you this as it won’t be a cheap repair.

Scott

Thank you for the advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 3 April 2018, 11:22 PM   #5
Nicholoso
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoilsofwar01 View Post
I'm please that there's no injury's to your daughter so all's well,

watches can be repaired / replaced, id be inclined to leave it as is, present it to her when she 21 explaining the whole story,

can you post some picture of the watch, others on here will be able to advise what needs to be done to put it right, if at all.

I will get some pictures and post later today or tomorrow as I am not wearing due to the damage.

Old 3 April 2018, 11:58 PM   #6
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
And let me add, I if you get it repaired under insurance, you might want to ask about compensation for "diminution in value." That is, compensation for the fact that your repaired watch may be worth less than a non repaired watch of the age and condition your watch was in before the accident. Not sure about your state, but it would fly in NC. I you have an attorney friend in your state, ask them.

Most important point, your child is ok!!!

Good luck!!!
Old 4 April 2018, 04:59 AM   #7
Hot Carl
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Cost of replacement bracelet/case middle/service will still be less than the 'value' of the watch. Get a quote and send it for your insurers for their consideration.
Hot Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2018, 05:03 AM   #8
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

most homeowners insurance policies would not pay for it but lucky you had it insured on separate rider and lucky you didn’t get hurt. Agree with others. Send it to rsc for estimate.

Last edited by Rrpdc; 4 April 2018 at 05:05 AM.. Reason: Edit
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2018, 05:22 AM   #9
Nicholoso
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
And let me add, I if you get it repaired under insurance, you might want to ask about compensation for "diminution in value." That is, compensation for the fact that your repaired watch may be worth less than a non repaired watch of the age and condition your watch was in before the accident. Not sure about your state, but it would fly in NC. I you have an attorney friend in your state, ask them.

Good luck!!!

Yea that was my concern with the value as well. Thank you, I’m very happy she’s ok, that’s obviously most important.

Old 4 April 2018, 05:22 AM   #10
Nicholoso
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrpdc View Post
most homeowners insurance policies would not pay for it but lucky you had it insured on separate rider and lucky you didn’t get hurt. Agree with others. Send it to rsc for estimate.

I had the watch and my wife’s ring both appraised and added to the policy as separate items.

Old 4 April 2018, 05:28 AM   #11
Nicholoso
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post

Good luck!!!
Thank you!! I will look into that.
Old 4 April 2018, 05:28 AM   #12
Nicholoso
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrpdc View Post
I had my watch and wife’s ring and other jewelry appraised and added to the policy.
Old 4 April 2018, 05:57 AM   #13
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Glad your kid is ok!

I would take it in to a RSC and ask for their thoughts on what to do re insurance. I'm not sure who makes the call as to whether you should get a check for a new watch or if it should be repaired, I assume it's the insurer; you wouldn't be the first through their doors with this question I'm sure so they should be able to help guide you along.
Old 4 April 2018, 11:36 AM   #14
Nicholoso
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperio View Post
Glad your kid is ok!

I would take it in to a RSC and ask for their thoughts on what to do re insurance. I'm not sure who makes the call as to whether you should get a check for a new watch or if it should be repaired, I assume it's the insurer; you wouldn't be the first through their doors with this question I'm sure so they should be able to help guide you along.
Good point!
Old 4 April 2018, 11:44 PM   #15
boktan
"TRF" Member

Glad to hear your kid is ok and your watch is insured. Get well soon
boktan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2018, 02:58 AM   #16
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholoso View Post
. . .
Does Rolex pretty much replace the entire case and bracelet because I can't see buffing fixing it being how deep the damage is? At that point does the cost become so excessive that I am better off replacing for a new watch? Not sure what my best course of action it but maybe someone that has had a similar situation can shed some light or insight. Any help is appreciated! Thank you.

Nick
You need to initiate the claim with your insurance company to know what they actually cover. Rolex doesn't do anything until it is estimated, approved, and payment is forthcoming.
Old 5 April 2018, 06:47 AM   #17
Ballzzz
2024 Pledge Member

Happy to hear your daughter is fine, lets see those watch pictures now.
Old 5 April 2018, 06:56 AM   #18
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
If you are going to repair, send to Rolex for estimate of what is required to restore it to its pre loss condition.
They will give you an estimate.
You’ll be shocked and realize you need to submit a claim, which you can do at that point as right now, you really don’t know what it will cost.
Or as has been stated, if expected damages are over deductible, file claim now and advise them you are sending directly to Rolex.

Claims manager for 36 years talking if that helps any.
123Blueface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2018, 06:59 AM   #19
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
FYI, my wife dropped hers and made a mess out of it. Rolex restored it like new and insurance took care of damages.
I followed step 1 I mentioned. Sent to Rolex first as was not sure if wanted to submit a claim.
When I saw the $3,000 estimate, I was immeditely on the phone with insurance carrier.
123Blueface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2018, 05:24 AM   #20
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Getting a quote for repair first sounds like a great idea.
Old 7 April 2018, 12:50 AM   #21
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
FWIW: I know someone that jewelers mutual had replaced a watch (with a new one) that had damage similar to this.
handsfull is offline   Reply With Quote