The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 21 April 2018, 01:02 PM   #1
guffyboy92
"TRF" Member

Watch: All that I own
3919 crown popped out

Hi TRF,

Long story short, I recently bought a Patek 3919r from a reputable dealer, and just happened to receive it today. When I went to adjust the time, the crown popped out and seperated from the watch. My question is; what do I do now? Do I return the watch? Or is this sometbing that can be fixed easily by a watch maker? I’m currently away on vacation so don’t have access to a laptop to reshape the dimensions to the forums required dimensions.. but essentially with very little force I managed to pull the crown off the watch with very little force, the same amount youd give on any other watch :

Thanks and hope to get some insightful replies
guffyboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 07:51 PM   #2
PJ S
Banned

You may have used a bit too much force for the crown stem design – did you push it back in again?
If not, then you can do so, but it would need a quick pressure test to confirm its WR is still within spec.
If the watch is pre-owned, and a fair few years old, then it could be indicative of wear on the stem, which means it needs replaced, otherwise it’ll re-occur.
Of course, this presumes it’s not a design flaw, requiring the deftest of touch, in which case, it may not be the right choice of watch for you.

I think the best thing to do is get in touch with the dealer who supplied it to you, inform them of what’s happened, and discuss what the options are – back to them for who they use to assess it, or reimbursing you for paying your preferred local independent watch repairer to provide his experienced opinion.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 07:56 PM   #3
waspy1
Banned

I’d be looking to return it. It’s likely easy for any watchmaker to refit the crown so long as it’s just the stem securing screw which needs tightening. However, there’s a reasonable chance that debris has entered the case as it can build up around the crown tube, then get sucked into the case when the crown comes off. In which case it would need a full service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
waspy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 06:23 AM   #4
Justindo
"TRF" Member

I bought a 3919 new about fifteen years ago and I had the crown and stem come out within the first week of owning it, but my dealer's watch technician was able to easily fix it. I don't know if this is a design flaw or not but it never fell out again and I've never had any issues with my 5119 in about eight years of ownership.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2018, 08:25 AM   #5
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I had a 3800 from in the late 80's and that movement was designed so the crown easily came out. Why, who knows. PP said you could re seat it but I never learned how to do it. I do not think that is the case on 3919 which has the 215ps movement. Sounds like something has worn through and a service is in order.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 02:03 PM   #6
AnythingButTime
"TRF" Member

Split stem designed to do so. Normally it requires pressure and turning to the correct spot...but it could have already been lined up and popped out easily. Though anything is possible, this doesn't sound odd to me. I learned about it the same way..new watch first time setting...it was out in my hand...took it to my watchmaker...he handed it back to me (literally) 10 seconds later.."fixed."
AnythingButTime is offline   Reply With Quote