The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 26 April 2018, 01:38 AM   #31
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
You can never have enough toys! Go for both!
Old 26 April 2018, 01:51 AM   #32
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Quote:
Originally Posted by encarter13 View Post
I have a road bike and a mountain bike. I do not compete, so excuse my ignorance, but why so many road bike? Why not just one AMAZING bike with top of the line everything?
Why do people want more than one watch? In cycling we call it "N+1," the N being how many bikes you currently own.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 03:10 AM   #33
encarter13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
Why do people want more than one watch? In cycling we call it "N+1," the N being how many bikes you currently own.
When compared to watches, I guess it makes sense. I just assume people need a beater watch, a dress watch, a sport watch, etc.

With a bike, I just figured one would want to ride the best possible bike at all times.
Old 26 April 2018, 03:13 AM   #34
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex addict View Post
With speedos and mojitos??

Never met a guy who started doing Iron Man competitions to show off his Speedo Collection and Buys Rolex watches to match them too.

Are you on a Speedo Forum Too?

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 03:14 AM   #35
encarter13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Each bike is set up differently for a specific style of racing whether its time trialing, triathlon, crit racing, road racing, terrain, etc. My road bikes have different gearing and slightly different position based on whether I'm riding flats or in the mountains with roads kicking up to 13-15% grade. My TT bike is set up with oval cranks and a VERY aggressive position for wind resistance. Each have been set up with a RETUL fit, so it's just easier to have multiple bikes. I just want to hop on and ride.

Edit: Plus, new technology is great. My older Madones began to headshake at around 56mph. These new ones were rock steady at 65mph. Actually, it was 64.9 according to my Garmin. This was in your neck of the woods at the Six Gap Century.
I understand. Basically different tools for different types of riding. For me, it is normally just 20-40 miles of pedaling. Trying to finish as fast as possible. I just (ignorantly) assumed one bike would be the best bike.

The gaps....I will give you props! I have biked sections, ad completed the Triple Gap, but the 6 Gap is no joke!
I live 15-20 minutes away so all of my riding is up and down mountains. Can't go anywhere around here without starting up a hill
Old 26 April 2018, 03:27 AM   #36
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNA/LION View Post

Never met a guy who started doing Iron Man competitions to show off his Speedo Collection and Buys Rolex watches to match them too.

Are you on a Speedo Forum Too?
Well, I am a man of style and fashion. I honestly haven't checked for a speedo forum, but will now.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 03:30 AM   #37
Rolex addict
Banned

Quote:
I understand. Basically different tools for different types of riding. For me, it is normally just 20-40 miles of pedaling. Trying to finish as fast as possible. I just (ignorantly) assumed one bike would be the best bike.

The gaps....I will give you props! I have biked sections, ad completed the Triple Gap, but the 6 Gap is no joke!
I live 15-20 minutes away so all of my riding is up and down mountains. Can't go anywhere around here without starting up a hill
I did it with Dr. Tom and his group. Very fun ride. The last 20 miles or so were awesome. Almost completely downhill. I actually thought it was easier than Mt. Mitchell. I guess because of the breaks you get on downhills. Mitchell just turns up and you climb for about 25 miles.
Old 26 April 2018, 03:36 AM   #38
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Quote:
Well, I am a man of style and fashion. I honestly haven't checked for a speedo forum, but will now.
Cool. I'm Glad I can help! I can suggest your user name should you find a Speedo Forum you like, Speedo addict!
Your avatar will undoubtedly be you in your banana yellow Sponge Bob Speedo!

See you in Vega Brotha!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 03:47 AM   #39
Colin G
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570, 214270
Quote:
I have a road bike and a mountain bike. I do not compete, so excuse my ignorance, but why so many road bike? Why not just one AMAZING bike with top of the line everything?
Bikes get lonely and you simply need more than one. Bikes are tools to me and a lot of times you need a specific tool for a specific job. Time trial bikes are much different than a race bike for instance.

I'm at only 3 right now. Two years ago I was at 7. but I was a vintage BMX cruiser collector for a while but sold all that off. No sense keeping what I don't ride.

These days, If I don't ride it, it is gone. I would like another road bike though but will wait a couple years for all the new technology to be available on what I want.
Colin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 05:46 AM   #40
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
Chad, I do like your style!
Headshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 05:48 AM   #41
stockae92
"TRF" Member

You made the right choice. The Madone turns head. :)
stockae92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 06:13 AM   #42
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Nice bike!!! Forget the watch!
Old 26 April 2018, 06:27 AM   #43
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Chad, buddy... I want to help. Buy the watch, keep the bike and send the DJ41 to me. Then you won’t feel bad about having both! Everybody’s happy

No need to thank me, just trying to help out a friend.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 08:42 AM   #44
Rolex addict
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Chad, buddy... I want to help. Buy the watch, keep the bike and send the DJ41 to me. Then you won’t feel bad about having both! Everybody’s happy

No need to thank me, just trying to help out a friend.
I'm glad you're watching out for me, Paul.
Old 26 April 2018, 09:20 AM   #45
Colin G
"TRF" Member

Since some are posting road bikes so I may as well post mine. No electronic shifting yet. I'll wait for the new Campy 12 speed to come out in electronic and upgrade to that in a couple of years.

The thread starter made the right choice with the bike.
Old 26 April 2018, 09:56 AM   #46
Rolex addict
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin G View Post
Since some are posting road bikes so I may as well post mine. No electronic shifting yet. I'll wait for the new Campy 12 speed to come out in electronic and upgrade to that in a couple of years.

The thread starter made the right choice with the bike.
Cool bike. Unless you’re a hardcore Campy guy, take a look at SRAM etap. It’s completely wireless. Gives the bike a really clean look. If the Grouppo on my Discovery Channel Trek goes out, I’ll upgrade to that. Electric shifting is awesome!! No missed shifts and no derailleur adjustments.
Old 27 April 2018, 02:23 AM   #47
Colin G
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Cool bike. Unless you’re a hardcore Campy guy, take a look at SRAM etap. It’s completely wireless. Gives the bike a really clean look. If the Grouppo on my Discovery Channel Trek goes out, I’ll upgrade to that. Electric shifting is awesome!! No missed shifts and no derailleur adjustments.
This is my first foray into new Campagnolo and I really like it so far. I used Dura Ace before. I had some old Campy with frame shifters in the past which was very nice also. I wished they used a little more alloy than carbon like Shimano but so far so good.

My first pair of carbon wheels also and I like them as well.