The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 April 2018, 11:48 PM   #61
Duke of Dulwich
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 116713
Definitely the Air King based on what you’ve said. It’s a great watch that you’ll never grow tired of staring at because of its unique dial. Plus the case is robust (also housing the faraday cage) and it has a brushed bracelet which means you have to worry less about scratches.

Good luck with your purchase whatever you pick.
Duke of Dulwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 12:23 AM   #62
Urosfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me now
Datejust blue dial fluted bezel looks awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Urosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 02:38 AM   #63
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
DJ

Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 03:42 AM   #64
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
DJ

RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 04:00 AM   #65
fiendfx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaOmega4 View Post
Hey Guys

Picking up a new Rolex on Friday.. Deciding between the 2 below .. so no other suggestions necessary.

My First was a BLNR purchased last year.. Great Watch. Came across an investment opportunity .. sold a few toys .. no big deal it worked out in my favor. loved the watch.. but want something different.. honestly grew a little tired of the blue on the bezel as well.

I want something different this round and not looking to spend a lot of coin.

The 2 watches I'm deciding between are :

1. Airking 116900- While I know there are a lot of members that don't care for this watch, busy dial, colors etc.... It really did nothing for me at first either.. after trying it on it really sang to me .. something about it not sure what.. maybe its the fact it doesn't stand out as a typical rolex as much.. not really sure.. But I dig it .

2. Datejust 41 .. AD has a Smooth Bezel, Black dial with Oyster Bracelet and the other option is a Rhodium dial. I think I really prefer the Black. While the Rhodium looks amazing. I'm scared I will get tired of it quicker.

Dress- M- F I usually where Polo style shirt and Slacks for work during summer , button ups during Fall / Winter .

Sat / Sun Jeans and Tee or Board shorts and Tee ( live across street from the beach) so fairly casual weekends unless attending an event or dinner.

What do you think about the two watches and I think either should go with dress or casual where ?

I do love the look of the Fluted Bezel... not sure its worth the extra $$ and wondering if its a little too dressy vs the smooth bezel. It definitely stands out on the DJ2 .. AD has a blue one in stock and I really liked it however I prefer the DJ1 and not really wanting a blue dial.

Greatly appreciate opinions/ thoughts / what have you ...

PICTURES LOADED BELOW
I'm pretty sure the majority of the vote is gonna be the DJ.
fiendfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 04:10 AM   #66
fiendfx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teabags001 View Post

I was in a similar situation as you. I really liked the date just 41 with oyster band. But for a everyday wearer give the jubilee another look. I hated it when I first saw it. All I could think of was that it looked like a grandpa watch. But as a everyday wearer it can’t be beat. My wife has a date just 31mm about 2 years old and it still looks brand new! I have had a few rolexes with the oyster band and it was scratched in less then a week and I am very careful with it. I like the look of the smooth bezel but for the same reason I got the Jubilee I got the fluted. Hides all scratches. The jubilee is the star of the show the way it reflects the light. The fluted Bezel doesn’t bling the same way as the Dj II. It’s smaller so from a distance you won’t even notice it. I would have went smooth but there is no way I could spend 7k plus on a watch and see scratches on my bezel. Fluted is the way to go. On the AK the no date that already is a no for me. I at first liked it but after looking at it, it looks like a Rolex of spare parts. Has the explorer 3 6 9 but then 5-10-3-20-25-9-35…etc. the clasp is old school. The green and yellow would look bad against any type of red shirt or colors like that. I think the AK is like a cute girl from a distance but upon closer inspection you realize you had one too many drinks. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Where is the "like" button on this forum?
Old 27 April 2018, 05:30 AM   #67
DoDe
"TRF" Member

Dj
DoDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 05:32 AM   #68
TRS1
"TRF" Member

I went DJ 41 with smooth and blue stick dial. I love it.
TRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 05:35 AM   #69
Air Rescue 5
Banned

Watch: GMT MII
Dj and I love my rhodium
Air Rescue 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 05:36 AM   #70
AlexFrank
"TRF" Member

Dj
AlexFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 05:42 AM   #71
fiendfx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joearch View Post

I am very happy with this.
Black is definitely a classy color. Just don't let the scratches interfere with the bezel though..
Old 27 April 2018, 07:33 AM   #72
Tombstone
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub and others
Air King IMHO. I just bought the Air King on the 20th of this month. I am blessed to own this watch and a few other Rolex watches. I bought the Air King for several reasons the dial is amazing to me, I like how the watch wears on my wrist (the band), and the watch is in fact a Milgauss only $2,000 less. More money saved for my next Rolex, The Milgauss dials never "sang" to me in the past.

As far as what others think I really don't care. We all have our own views and I am the one who wears the watch. A few have said it's the Rolex entry level watch, nope that would be $5,100 Rolex.

Most agree the three top "entry level" Rolex watches would be:
Oyster Perpetual 114200
Datejust 116200
Explorer 214270

No matter what you choose it's a Rolex you can't go wrong with the brand.
Hope this helps.
Old 19 May 2018, 05:35 AM   #73
AlphaOmega4
"TRF" Member

Watch: AK 116900
UPDATE

I went back about 3 times over the last week and narrowed it down to final 3 watches.

EXP 1 214270

DJ41 Black dial smooth bezel with Oyster

AirKing 116900

I really like the look of the EXP 1 after trying it on a few times and can see why its an instant classic. It fit great and I could easily be happy with this watch however for 6,500 it just didn't feel special in any way.

DJ 41 and AK.. this is where I kept bouncing back and forth and I narrowed 3 to 2.

DJ41 my Ad let me walk outside with this watch and I will say the Sunburst effect on the Black Dial was incredible. I looked at this watch over and over and felt it clearly stated a Rolex that can be dressed up or down. Fit was great , whats not to love about this watch ?

AK my Ad then let me walk back outside with him to take a look at this in the sun (weird request I suppose but he got it, plus I had just purchased a BLNR from him last year so I think he knew I was ready to pull the trigger on one and not "tire kicking" )

No real change in the dial on this one however it really stood out and looked incredible to me, had a little more wrist presence as far as heft was concerned. I love the brushed bracelet which is a little more under the radar than PCL's and less worry about scratches if they bother you .

So after a little time to think over the past few weeks and one last round today of trying them all on to decided which one was going home with me the decision was made Passing on PCL's this round and decided to go with my gut feeling from the start So I went with the Beautiful yet quirky Air King.... Zero regrets !

anyone unsure of this watch I encourage you to at least try it on .. I remember in 2016 when I first saw a few pics of it and the first one at my dealer and simply thought.. NO WAY. Boy was I wrong its a great piece and fairly rare to boot (as far as seeing these in the wild)

While I completely understand its not a watch for most, It really is a unique piece at an incredible price.

the one thing I wonder about is will the bezel get scratched up easily at the beach.. I live less than 5 minutes to the Gulf of Mexico and Wife and I spend quite a bit of time there.. guessing unless I'm rubbing the face of my watch in the sand it wont be an issue and will probably just get some light scratches from daily wear and when getting in the water etc..

Thanks for all the input and pics will follow for those that are interested

Cheers
AlphaOmega4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 05:45 AM   #74
AlphaOmega4
"TRF" Member

Old 19 May 2018, 05:47 AM   #75
AlphaOmega4
"TRF" Member

Old 19 May 2018, 06:04 AM   #76
JimSnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ask me later.....
Air King
Old 19 May 2018, 06:07 AM   #77
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Congrats! Mine says hello...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 08:30 AM   #78
Duke of Dulwich
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 116713
Air King!!!
Duke of Dulwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 08:35 AM   #79
Starhutch
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: PROBLEM
Datejust
Starhutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 09:17 AM   #80
Fany
Banned

Datejust for me.
Fany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 10:41 AM   #81
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Congrats again, 1 more .02. The Air King keeps growing on you. It's the most fun of all of mine..

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 11:13 AM   #82
AlphaOmega4
"TRF" Member

Yeah. Pretty stoked!

It's an exciting piece and def has a love it or hate it look I feel.

But it will grow on you. Not sure this will ever turn into a cult classic or pick up a big following once cancelled, however it does seem to slowly be growing some interest with a few on the forum.. but I purchased this for me and not concerned with the rest.

It will prob be awhile (2 or 3 years) before I add a second but if I do the New op39 In the chalky white was quite striking to me.

Strange how I went from a blnr and planned on purchasing a ceramic white Daytona next if not a "bluesy"

Now I'm far more intrigued by some lower tier models that are still incredible watches.

If not a white op39 might possibly go for a white dial dj41 down the road but who knows for now I plan to just enjoy my AK in all its glory!
Old 19 May 2018, 11:21 AM   #83
chloebear
Banned

Watch: Explorer
Rest assured that whichever one you get you'll wish you got the other one before long. It's just the way it goes.

I like them both so much I couldn't even say. Either is a great choice.
chloebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 11:30 AM   #84
AlphaOmega4
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloebear View Post
Rest assured that whichever one you get you'll wish you got the other one before long. It's just the way it goes.

I like them both so much I couldn't even say. Either is a great choice.
This statement rings true to a certain degree however after having pcls on my first Rolex I'm over the moon for brushed bracelet this round which MAY hold me over for awhile.

however for my 2nd watch. The color of the dial may change I see a white dial coming next.. something I never really gave much thought to before. Dj41 or op39 .. but who knows that Rhodium dial is amazing as well.

For now all I want to enjoy is my striking new Air King
Old 19 May 2018, 11:31 AM   #85
MJ8
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
DJ. The modern airking looks hideous IMHO.
MJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 11:32 AM   #86
jasonmush99
"TRF" Member

I have been on the fence with the Air King, based on your review and pics, I am seriously considering one!
I have always loved that it comes in the same case as the Millgauss, great looking watch!

Cheers!

jasonmush99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 11:43 AM   #87
AlphaOmega4
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ8 View Post
DJ. The modern airking looks hideous IMHO.
An ass for every seat right??

Decision has been made, but completely understand this watch is liked by few.

Traded my M4 for a 2018 540I Msport this week and bought a new Lifted street legal golf cart this week as well (beach toy for the wife and I )

So I did restrict my budget to 7,500 for this purchase.. with that said I think the Airking for under 6K out the door was the right choice and should I pull the trigger next year on a DJ41 if I desire a second watch(quite possible) I see it as the best of both worlds and very fortunate to buy any of this in the first place. But watches are just one of many things im in to.

My cars and motorcycles come first when it comes to big purchases.

My First Rolex was a BLNR , beautiful watch, great piece and a forum favorite yet I had no issue selling it as I got bored with it quicklly.. most would say I'm crazy for this but I actually prefer the AK to it.. what can I say ... different strokes
Old 19 May 2018, 12:11 PM   #88
teabags001
Banned

Watch: DD40, hulk, Dayton
New Rolex on Friday.. Stuck between two.. opinions appreciated

Quote:
An ass for every seat right??

Decision has been made, but completely understand this watch is liked by few.

Traded my M4 for a 2018 540I Msport this week and bought a new Lifted street legal golf cart this week as well (beach toy for the wife and I )

So I did restrict my budget to 7,500 for this purchase.. with that said I think the Airking for under 6K out the door was the right choice and should I pull the trigger next year on a DJ41 if I desire a second watch(quite possible) I see it as the best of both worlds and very fortunate to buy any of this in the first place. But watches are just one of many things im in to.

My cars and motorcycles come first when it comes to big purchases.

My First Rolex was a BLNR , beautiful watch, great piece and a forum favorite yet I had no issue selling it as I got bored with it quicklly.. most would say I'm crazy for this but I actually prefer the AK to it.. what can I say ... different strokes

Congrats. But I think if your worried about scratches and go to the beach I would have bought a dj41 fluted on jubilee. Mine looks Almost brand new other then the clasp and I have had it for about 3 months. My wife had hers for 3 years and still looks good. I know it’s above the budget you set yourself and I respect that. But I would have went steel bezel dj41 oyster band and had the PCL links brushed. Best of both world and not too much to get it done. The black dial on the dj41 is the best black dial they make IMO.

teabags001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 12:26 PM   #89
chloebear
Banned

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
This statement rings true to a certain degree however after having pcls on my first Rolex I'm over the moon for brushed bracelet this round which MAY hold me over for awhile.

however for my 2nd watch. The color of the dial may change I see a white dial coming next.. something I never really gave much thought to before. Dj41 or op39 .. but who knows that Rhodium dial is amazing as well.

For now all I want to enjoy is my striking new Air King
I should have read the whole thread before commenting...I see you picked up the Air-King....Congrats!!! I went to my AD on April 21st of this year to get the Air-King. It was my 45th birthday. I ended up walking out the door with the black GMT Master II. However I'd really like to add the Air-King next. I am a huge fan of the Milgauss/Air-King because they got the dimensions perfect.

40mm - check
A little thicker than an Explorer or DJ - check
Relatively oversized crown - check

If you like a lot of polish the Milgauss is great. If you prefer brushed, the Air-King is great.

Absolutely fantastic choice! I love any and all Rolexes, but I agree that the lower end (price-wise) models aren't necessarily worse, just different. My two favorite watches in the catalog are from the lower end of the price spectrum.
chloebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 12:32 PM   #90
RolexComplex
"TRF" Member

Congratulations! I know it was a tough decision, but I’m glad you bucked the trend and went with your gut. It’s a beautiful watch. Wear it in good health!
RolexComplex is offline   Reply With Quote