The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 April 2018, 11:34 PM   #31
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
It's a sorry state of affairs, IMO. Rolex is now spoiling the moment of purchase to make up for its own shortcomings in distribution control. Get the new Tudor GMT, assuming they can get those out in a timely fashion.
Completely agree.

If this is Rolex in the UK then that is their issue.

If this is Rolex worldwide then they are becoming an embarrassment as a company that cannot mange their own success. That they feel the need to reign in appreciation for their product speaks volumes.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 11:35 PM   #32
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
I am sorry I do not agree with this analogy at all.

Employment is not the same things as a consumer product purchase.

What other pieces of the package are acceptable to be withheld? The box? The manual? How could I ever be sure that the card is filled out in my name and completed and registered with Rolex?

If the online process registers the warranty then aren't the cards worthless anyway? Why does Rolex simply no longer issue them instead of pretending to use this as a re-sale prevention tactic? Seems to me that doing away with them solves this issue.

However since the warranty follows the watch it is all a giant bluff anyway. What about gifts? What about awards? If I gift a watch to my son across the country and in three years it needs service, then what?

This is a very poor practice and it would be interesting to get clarification if this is questionable dealer behavior or if this is coming from Rolex SA and will be a worldwide practice?
Brian

Its a pre existing condition of sale. The consumer (in the UK) has all the consumer protection irrespective of whether he or she has a plastic card or not.

It only becomes a problem if the purchaser wants to flip the watch within 12 months.

When you buy a Rolex there is nothing whasoever that says you are also "buying" a plastic card, a cheap leather or card holder, some plastic tags and a crappy box. They are all effectively thrown in by the retailer.

You are buying a timepiece which comes with a 5 year warranty (which, assuming properly validated at the time of sale) follows the watch as you have correctly stated. Nothing more, nothing less. The retailer will give you proof of purchase, which is backed up by Rolex's own records.

This whole "full set" nonsense has been created by collectors and resellers. Not 99% of the rolex buying public who could not care less.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 11:38 PM   #33
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Brian

Its a pre existing condition of sale. The consumer (in the UK) has all the consumer protection irrespective of whether he or she has a plastic card or not.

It only becomes a problem if the purchaser wants to flip the watch within 12 months.

When you buy a Rolex there is nothing whasoever that says you are also "buying" a plastic card, a cheap leather or card holder, some plastic tags and a crappy box. They are all effectively thrown in by the retailer.

You are buying a timepiece which comes with a 5 year warranty (which, assuming properly validated at the time of sale) follows the watch as you have correctly stated. Nothing more, nothing less. The retailer will give you proof of purchase, which is backed up by Rolex's own records.

This whole "full set" nonsense has been created by collectors and resellers. Not 99% of the rolex buying public who could not care less.
So what I read in your post is that this is a UK issue and that the plastic cards are no longer needed?

That I agree with.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 25 April 2018, 11:39 PM   #34
colonelpurple
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
You get a warranty. You get a photocopy of the warranty card. You do not get the plastic card. Nothing except a piece of plastic is being retained. Your warranty is in force from the moment of purchase.

Because they keep the plastic card does not mean they are withholding a warranty.

...and yes many AD's have you sign a form to agree
Its not the warranty that's the issue (although it might be if you needed to claim in a country different from that which you bought it in)

Its that little plastic card

You paid for it and you are not being supplied it

Its a breach of contract, full stop
colonelpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 11:40 PM   #35
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's a sorry state of affairs, IMO. Rolex is now spoiling the moment of purchase to make up for its own shortcomings in distribution control. Get the new Tudor GMT, assuming they can get those out in a timely fashion.
I'd argue that Rolex and its AD network are simply having to take measures to address opportunist greed Adam. Supply shortage may well have given rise to that opportunism, but is it really Rolex's fault that there is greater demand than supply?

Old 25 April 2018, 11:41 PM   #36
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I agree 100%

The AD is getting screwed here.

They are caught between Rolex on one side who are tightening supply and who are putting pressure on AD's to vet customers and not sell to flippers and if someone does flip a watch and Rolex finds out the AD is held accountable. Yes, Rolex UK buys up some watches from the secondary market to track the origin. 100% they do.

Then the AD is caught between the customer on the other side. The customer gets mad at the AD for making all of these conditions and the customer is mad at the AD for the supply issues they don't control.

The AD is in the middle and its not a good place to be
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 11:43 PM   #37
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelpurple View Post
Its not the warranty that's the issue (although it might be if you needed to claim in a country different from that which you bought it in)

Its that little plastic card

You paid for it and you are not being supplied it

Its a breach of contract, full stop
You didn't pay for it. Where, in any of Rolex's sales literature does it list "plastic card" as being sold with the watch?

If you were a lawyer you would understand that there is no breach of contract here

Old 25 April 2018, 11:44 PM   #38
RichM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: out now,take care!
Let’s assume the watch really does need service in the first year. Does the AD then give you the card or do they send the watch in for you?

Reason I ask is because I used an AD once for warranty service and I’ll never do it again. They charged me $75 and Rolex would not even talk to me. They told me to call the AD for any information. Like I said, never again.

Now, I mail them in myself.
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 11:46 PM   #39
kauffee
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
I agree with all of tyler's points on this. It's not ideal, but if it gets the watches into the hands of people who actually want to wear them, it's a net win.

Yes, you agree to it as a condition of buying. And you're buying a watch to wear, not a plastic card. Had my AD kept my cards it would have made absolutely zero difference in my enjoyment of the watches.
kauffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 11:47 PM   #40
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The AD is in the middle and its not a good place to be
All the more reason to do away with the AD network and sell only in Rolex controlled boutique stores or online.
Old 25 April 2018, 11:48 PM   #41
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So what I read in your post is that this is a UK issue and that the plastic cards are no longer needed?

That I agree with.
Technically Rolex Service Centres require the card to be presented with the watch for any warranty work, but I can guarantee that anyone rocking up to St James RSC in London stating that their AD retained the card would have zero issue as the RSC will have a record of when the watch was bought.

Old 25 April 2018, 11:50 PM   #42
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Mickol View Post
Let’s assume the watch really does need service in the first year. Does the AD then give you the card or do they send the watch in for you?

Reason I ask is because I used an AD once for warranty service and I’ll never do it again. They charged me $75 and Rolex would not even talk to me. They told me to call the AD for any information. Like I said, never again.

Now, I mail them in myself.
In all my experiences Rich, unless you are local to the RSC and can walk in yourself, the AD network in the UK deals with sending the watch in for you and there is no charge for doing so

Old 25 April 2018, 11:50 PM   #43
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
All the more reason to do away with the AD network and sell only in Rolex controlled boutique stores or online.
with 100% no discounts.

Retail value would still be retained (for the most part), they could increase supply and everyone would be happy that is only interested in SS pieces. Those who currently buy PM pieces would get hosed, as it's fairly easy to get those around 20% off. I, for one, would love for this to happen.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 11:50 PM   #44
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
judging by Rolex's tactics i think them being customer facing would be a disaster, as they are not good at it.

Most of this stuff they are behind and they are fine with the AD's getting the black eye for it. I think they probably prefer not being involved directly but using heavy handed tactics in the background.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 11:51 PM   #45
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Technically Rolex Service Centres require the card to be presented with the watch for any warranty work, but I can guarantee that anyone rocking up to St James RSC in London stating that their AD retained the card would have zero issue as the RSC will have a record of when the watch was bought.
If that system works in the UK that is great.

All the more reason to simply do away with the cards instead of holding them hostage after taking someone's money. Makes the AD look very foolish.
Old 25 April 2018, 11:51 PM   #46
westsiderkg
"TRF" Member

Watch: '66 Submariner
Quote:

x2. it's a sad state of affairs these days with ads.
westsiderkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 11:52 PM   #47
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
judging by Rolex's tactics i think them being customer facing would be a disaster, as they are not good at it.

Most of this stuff they are behind and they are fine with the AD's getting the black eye for it. I think they probably prefer not being involved directly but using heavy handed tactics in the background.
But how long with AD's be fine with it?

Failing business model.
Old 25 April 2018, 11:52 PM   #48
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
As said it is becoming the standard practice in the UK, maybe elsewhere. No you should not accept this. You buy the watch you should get everything. It is your property now. You aren’t leasing or borrowing the watch. If you want to sell it, it’s yours and your decision to make. Tell them you will pay 75% of the price and the rest when you get the card. If they are determining what you can do with your property then they should have some skin in the game.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 11:59 PM   #49
colonelpurple
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
You didn't pay for it. Where, in any of Rolex's sales literature does it list "plastic card" as being sold with the watch?

If you were a lawyer you would understand that there is no breach of contract here
Every time I buy a watch I am shown the box, papers and watch itself

That's the offer

My payment is the consideration

Contract

Full stop

If they show me everything without the card. I will say, where is the card Rolex supply ? If they say, you can't have it ? I say no deal. I won't contract for the watch and no bracelet. And I won't contract for the watch and no card
Old 26 April 2018, 12:00 AM   #50
WEST HAM ROLEX
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT LN/SD43/D Blue
If I could be promised a Daytona C, I would let them keep the warranty card for good..
WEST HAM ROLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 12:02 AM   #51
jay_kay
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 54
When I got my 126600 from a UK AD last year they kept the warranty card for 6 months. I collected it in January this year. As the watch is for my son its in the safe at home still unworn. The sales assistant initially asked me to produce the watch, I was wearing my Daytona, the manager had seen and heard and came over we exchanged brief pleasantries and they recovered my warranty card from the safe.

As many have said, not an issue for people keeping the watches and it will for sure put people off flipping HOT watches.
Rolex Explorer 214270, Omega Speedmaster '1957 Relaunch' 3594.50.00, Panerai Luminor 1950 PAM00127-E, Panerai Radiomir 1936 PAM00249-I, Panerai Mare Nostrum PAM00716-T, Panerai PAM00785-Q Set, Panerai Luminor Black Seal PAM00594-Q, Panerai Luminor Daylight PAM00604-Q, Tudor Black Bay 54 79000N, Heuer Carrera Re-Edition CS3113, Hamilton Military W10 & TAG Heuer F1
jay_kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 12:02 AM   #52
polaris72
2024 Pledge Member

I would never agree to such purchase. For those who agree, what other consumer products would you purchase under similar condition? Just curious...

What if buyer gets sick and in short of cash within the year and had to liquidate some of his/her assets? Would AD agree to buy back the watch? Would it be at pre-set price?
polaris72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 12:03 AM   #53
RichM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: out now,take care!
Quote:
In all my experiences Rich, unless you are local to the RSC and can walk in yourself, the AD network in the UK deals with sending the watch in for you and there is no charge for doing so
Thanks Scott.
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 12:05 AM   #54
Yodel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmoeck View Post
what if 3 months goes by and you need to sell the watch or one reason or another..
Very good point - this didn’t occur to me at all!
Yodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 12:09 AM   #55
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

My Patek warranty was withheld for two years, not by the AD but by Patek. I had no problem with this policy and it arrived at the AD on the actual day (two years later). It came from Patek filled out with all my details.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 12:09 AM   #56
Quamby
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polaris72 View Post
What if buyer gets sick and in short of cash within the year and had to liquidate some of his/her assets? Would AD agree to buy back the watch? Would it be at pre-set price?
I'm not being mean, but that's the purchaser's problem. We can't reasonably put the onus on the AD for what happens to the purchaser after the sale.
Quamby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 12:13 AM   #57
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Am glad it bothers some guys here, as they won't buy the watch and leave it for others to get who want it and understand the situation

And you guys can't say you don't 'understand' the situation. As for if you agree with it, that's your problem (sorry and all, just the facts here).
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 12:17 AM   #58
colonelpurple
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Am glad it bothers some guys here, as they won't buy the watch and leave it for others to get who want it and understand the situation

And you guys can't say you don't 'understand' the situation. As for if you agree with it, that's your problem (sorry and all, just the facts here).

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEST HAM ROLEX View Post
If I could be promised a Daytona C, I would let them keep the warranty card for good..
that sir, is the issue

Rolex have you by the short and curlies
Old 26 April 2018, 12:17 AM   #59
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelpurple View Post
Every time I buy a watch I am shown the box, papers and watch itself

That's the offer

My payment is the consideration

Contract

Full stop

If they show me everything without the card. I will say, where is the card Rolex supply ? If they say, you can't have it ? I say no deal. I won't contract for the watch and no bracelet. And I won't contract for the watch and no card
As is your right. No one is forcing you to buy.

But no contract has been breached. Fact

Old 26 April 2018, 12:18 AM   #60
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I don't think this will stop grey dealers, they will just be sending warranty cards late as well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote