The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 April 2018, 12:22 AM   #61
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
I don't agree with the practice but I get it. I haven't come into this situation and hope I don't but if it's a watch you hope to keep and can't source elsewhere, I guess you have to play the game.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 12:23 AM   #62
colonelpurple
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
As is your right. No one is forcing you to buy.

But no contract has been breached. Fact
I beg to differ, from Rolex's literature and definition - see website and brochure - which is contract offer of supply:

"At the moment of purchase

Only your Official Rolex Retailer can place a guarantee card inside the box that certifies your watch’s authenticity. All new Rolex watches have an international 5-year guarantee, issued by Rolex itself, that will be completed and dated by your Official Rolex Retailer at the time of purchase and registered with Rolex."

https://www.rolex.com/rolex-dealers/...lex-watch.html
colonelpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 12:25 AM   #63
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelpurple View Post
I beg to differ, from Rolex's literature and definition - see website and brochure - which is contract offer of supply:

Only your Official Rolex Retailer can place a guarantee card inside the box that certifies your watch’s authenticity. All new Rolex watches have an international 5-year guarantee, issued by Rolex itself, that will be completed and dated by your Official Rolex Retailer at the time of purchase and registered with Rolex."
Oops
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 12:29 AM   #64
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
It's a sorry state of affairs, IMO. Rolex is now spoiling the moment of purchase to make up for its own shortcomings in distribution control. Get the new Tudor GMT, assuming they can get those out in a timely fashion.
I was very critical of Rolex last year for not more efficiently allocating in-demand watches in the UK as grey prices and wait lists were soaring, and DJs were just sitting unsold for months, but now it looks like global demand is so high that Rolex really could have done nothing to stem this tidal wave at all, apart from really ramp up supply and prices which they are not going to do quickly.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 12:31 AM   #65
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

As Rolex's policy is now to starve the grey market, this is standard policy in UK and most everywhere soon I'm sure. If you don't like it you are announcing yourself as a flipper and this could get you blacklisted with Rolex, so be careful before you dismiss this, it could come back to bite you. The game has really changed.

I'd even be careful bitching too much on the forums now, esp if your username can be traced to you, as this will get you blacklisted too, and some members have had trouble from this forum already.
Old 26 April 2018, 12:33 AM   #66
Quamby
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The way I interpret it is that: the official Rolex retailer has the absolute sole right and discretion to decide whether to give the guarantee card to the purchaser or not.
Quamby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 12:34 AM   #67
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
I would walk away as a matter of principle. Once bought, the watch and it's related item, are the owner's property .................................... period.
Old 26 April 2018, 12:37 AM   #68
Casey VP-26
"TRF" Member

Simple, They keep the card, I keep the money.
Casey VP-26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 12:38 AM   #69
watchnut73
"TRF" Member

Watch: daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodel View Post
About to buy a BLNR from my AD but they keep the warranty card for the first 12 months to prevent selling it on immediately? Is this normal? Should I accept this?

Thanks
Unfortunately, this is now standard practice in the UK on all professional SS Sports models with all major ADs and the smaller independent ADs. Aurum Group have introduced this just this month across the whole company.

Rolex UK have recommend this to AD Retailers, to slow down flippers.
not sure it will work?
Even though the supply is the main issue, which is being caused by Rolex.

I think Rolex UK will end up keeping the warranty card next, then you will receive it direct from them after 12 months. If you want the watch just buy it and enjoy it!!
watchnut73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 12:41 AM   #70
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Yep pretty standard practice in the UK now.

If you want the Watch for you it’s no issue, get your BLNR and enjoy it.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 12:42 AM   #71
SeaDweller50
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M 2 liner
Mine was kept for the purchase of my SD43. If you want your dream watch quicker then it’s ok in my book.
SeaDweller50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 12:42 AM   #72
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:

Only your Official Rolex Retailer can place a guarantee card inside the box that certifies your watch’s authenticity. ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Oops

No Oops Brian

"Only Rolex can place a guarantee card...". It does not state that Not Rolex will place a guarantee card, nor that it is your card

The second sentence, "All new Rolex watches have an international 5-year guarantee, issued by Rolex itself, that will be completed and dated by your Official Rolex Retailer at the time of purchase and registered with Rolex" remains correct whether the plastic card is retained or not.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 12:43 AM   #73
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quamby View Post
The way I interpret it is that: the official Rolex retailer has the absolute sole right and discretion to decide whether to give the guarantee card to the purchaser or not.
Absolutely. Someone else who understands the context of the language used as far as a sale copntract is concerned

Old 26 April 2018, 12:44 AM   #74
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchnut73 View Post
Unfortunately, this is now standard practice in the UK on all professional SS Sports models with all major ADs and the smaller independent ADs. Aurum Group have introduced this just this month across the whole company.

Rolex UK have recommend this to AD Retailers, to slow down flippers.
not sure it will work?
Even though the supply is the main issue, which is being caused by Rolex.

I think Rolex UK will end up keeping the warranty card next, then you will receive it direct from them after 12 months. If you want the watch just buy it and enjoy it!!
Just to be clear the problem is 90% massive overdemand and 10% undersupply which is only due to Rolex this year being very careful to which ADs they allocate their SS watches.

We have Trusted Sellers, now Rolex have Trusted ADs.
Old 26 April 2018, 12:46 AM   #75
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:

No Oops Brian

"Only Rolex can place a guarantee card...". It does not state that Not Rolex will place a guarantee card, nor that it is your card

The second sentence, "All new Rolex watches have an international 5-year guarantee, issued by Rolex itself, that will be completed and dated by your Official Rolex Retailer at the time of purchase and registered with Rolex" remains correct whether the plastic card is retained or not.

I like the spin, keep it up.

Do away with the cards and the problem goes away. Rolex is just embarrassing them selves with this nonsense.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 26 April 2018, 12:47 AM   #76
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Do away with the cards and the problem goes away. Rolex is just embarrassing them selves with this nonsense.
I hate to be pedantic, but sometimes, well, you know

But in all seriousness, if Rolex do away with the cards, hat will simply shift the issue of antiflipping measures somewhere else.

I suspect that card retention is the lesser of all evils

Old 26 April 2018, 12:49 AM   #77
alfletch
"TRF" Member

...if you get a sales receipt showing the date of purchase, the watch description, and the AD's name, and you really want the watch, I wouldn't worry about the Ad keeping the card for a year,,,
alfletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 12:51 AM   #78
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
But how long with AD's be fine with it?

Failing business model.
i think its a failing business model but not because of this... e commerce will kill everything. Then you can't even try one watches or see anything in person ever again. Sad, but eventually it will all be watches via internet purchase.

I think we are in the days where both exist at the same time, but the days of brick and mortar will disappear as it can't compete with its higher overhead costs
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 12:51 AM   #79
zjd168
"TRF" Member

I am ok with that. ADs can keep the warranty card for as long as they want until if I need it for service or warranty expires.

But I am not happy they peel off the stickers. That is part I want to decide when to do.
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 12:52 AM   #80
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfletch View Post
...if you get a sales receipt showing the date of purchase, the watch description, and the AD's name, and you really want the watch, I wouldn't worry about the Ad keeping the card for a year,,,
Until you are asked to present the card for service! Oops!
Old 26 April 2018, 12:56 AM   #81
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I hate to be pedantic, but sometimes, well, you know

But in all seriousness, if Rolex do away with the cards, hat will simply shift the issue of antiflipping measures somewhere else.

I suspect that card retention is the lesser of all evils
the UK blacklist is real and effective as well. Ive heard of a few people who are on it. I don't really know that many people either.

So after the fact if they catch you flipping its pretty effective as well.

Its kind of like customs... can you smuggle something into the country without declaring? Probably. But enough get caught that it makes everyone else think twice so they don't even have to catch everyone.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 26 April 2018, 12:58 AM   #82
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
the UK blacklist is real and effective as well. Ive heard of a few people who are on it. I don't really know that many people either.

So after the fact if they catch you flipping its pretty effective as well.
As it should be

Old 26 April 2018, 01:01 AM   #83
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
On a recent purchase in Canada, two watches, we left the store with the stickers on and all the papers. If the AD wanted to keep my warranty card and even the box I wouldn't really care.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 01:05 AM   #84
MinMay
Banned

Maybe my 5 years wait list becomes 1 month wait :)
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 01:05 AM   #85
arosado
Banned

Watch: Rolex, AP & Omega
No warranty card = no purchase. Plain & simple.
arosado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 01:06 AM   #86
Quamby
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I think some of us have forgotten the purpose of the guarantee card.

The guarantee card contains details of:-

1) the location where the watch was purchased
2) the production serial number of the watch
3) the model number of the watch (and other important info such as the type of dial, bracelet, precious metal, gems, etc)
4) Name of the Purchaser
5) Date of Purchase
6) The Name of the Official Retailer that sold the watch

It is not Rolex's intention to stop their products being sold or traded. The guarantee card is there for warranty purposes (level of service rendered by a RSC is very much dependent on whether the watch is an officially imported item or a parallel or private import). It gives future potential purchaser(s) of the watch a clear indication of the provenance of the watch.

Rolex is resorting to withholding the guarantee card because things are getting out of hand and they are doing what they can (in the short run) to bring some order to the situation.
Quamby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 01:07 AM   #87
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arosado View Post
No warranty card = no purchase. Plain & simple.
says every flipper ever

Doesn't mean you are, but you are on the same side of the argument. You would be Rolex-less in the UK for sure. Unless your AD really knows you well.
Old 26 April 2018, 01:09 AM   #88
SamLovesWatches
"TRF" Member

If I've learned anything from being on this forum a very short amount of time, it's that there are a lot of buyers who will voluntarily degrade themselves and ask for more just so they can get on a list to buy a watch. With that in mind, an AD saying he'll keep a card for a year seems almost insignificant.
SamLovesWatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 01:09 AM   #89
Wools
"TRF" Member

When I got on the list for a Submariner Date last year, my AD told me that they would be keeping the warranty card for 12 months too.

Honestly? I'm okay with it. Stops arses selling the watch for profit immediately and gives people like me, who just want to buy a damn watch, to actually buy one!
Wools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 01:12 AM   #90
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamLovesWatches View Post
If I've learned anything from being on this forum a very short amount of time, it's that there are a lot of buyers who will voluntarily degrade themselves and ask for more just so they can get on a list to buy a watch. With that in mind, an AD saying he'll keep a card for a year seems almost insignificant.
truth.

People go through all kinds of nonsense to get watches. This seems relatively tame by comparison.

Pre paying in full even with an unknown delivery date maybe a year or more in advance, deposits to get on a list for an unknown period of time, bundling PM watches as a condition of sale for a SS one, Selling above retail, etc. That is all worse and that all gets less complaints here.