The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 April 2018, 06:43 AM   #121
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
take them to court, good luck
There not a big enough facepalm available to appropriately respond to that posters complete misunderstanding of the law

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 06:49 AM   #122
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
Or I could accept that I would keep the watch for longer than a year.

I have never been so desperate to have any watch as to not get a good deal. I have given my opinion, nothing you have said in your lengthy rambles has changed it.

You seem to be the authority on the law. Take them on.
There is no law here, esp on retail matters, the law is merely what one can argue, and like with politicians a hundred arguments can be made either way, so who in their right mid would want the hassle of suing Rolex, even if they were CEO of Linklaters? We've had a thousand internet lawyers discuss this with far more outrage on TZ-UK a year ago when this first surfaced and guess what, Rolex have now endorsed it as official policy so obviously they don't care about these little temper tantrum flippers.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 06:50 AM   #123
Chalet
"TRF" Member

Watch: 13x Rolex Addict
I’ve been told full de-stickering is being applied as standard at AD’s along with warranty card being retained for 12 months.
Chalet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 06:52 AM   #124
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cibbersicks View Post
I’ve just walked out of my UK AD with a BLNR, and its stickers, and it’s warranty card.

Sillyness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Was it an Aurum AD? If so we can finish this sucker today...
Old 26 April 2018, 06:55 AM   #125
Cibbersicks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Was it an Aurum AD? If so we can finish this sucker today...

No, but exactly 5 weeks ago I walked out of an Aurum AD with stickers and a warranty card with an SS sports watch ;)

Cibbersicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 07:26 AM   #126
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
Unacceptable. Once you buy the watch, it is yours and you are free to do whatever you want with it. End of story.

this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 07:52 AM   #127
drmizzou
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector!
Frankly this is ridiculous but i understand what/why they are doing it. I guess since that is the new rule by which to play, if I were in those shoes, i would still buy it. As someone stated above, the warranty is valid irrespective of having the card in your posession. I would take a picture of the filled out warranty card for my records, however. That way, if you were to need to sell for whatever reason, you would have proof in addition to the sales receipt and that, If i was a secondary market buyer, would make me feel more comfortable with the purchase.
Pepsi GMT 126710BLRO
White DaytonaC 116500
Omega Seamaster 50th Anniv Bond OHMSS
Omega Seamaster Bond titanium
drmizzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 07:55 AM   #128
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

I think that doesn't make sense. What if the AD closes down? Or you move to another country? etc. etc.
EdwardC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 07:56 AM   #129
Dr.Mehr
"TRF" Member

Bought the SS GMT LN this week in an Irish AD. I was told the warranty card would remain with the AD for 6 months. Stickers kept on the watch.

I don’t see a problem with this unless I want to sell the watch.
Dr.Mehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 08:05 AM   #130
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Wow this thread has got legs! Personally I don’t care if my AD wants to keep the card for a year if it decreases flippers and decreases time it takes for someone who wants to wear a Rolex to get actually get one. It’s a piece of plastic. Your watch is still warrantied. You still have proof you paid for the watch on a certain date. You can get an appraisal from the AD further confirming your ownerShip. I don’t think it says anywhere in writing that when you buy a Rolex you’ve paid for a plastic card or the sticker adhering to the left lug on the six o clock side of the watch.

JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 08:16 AM   #131
Rolex.c6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 116600
Reading this more and more. Although it is not right, if you pay it should be yours, I would still accept it if I was buying a new watch...
Rolex.c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 08:28 AM   #132
Yodel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
Wow this thread has got legs! Personally I don’t care if my AD wants to keep the card for a year if it decreases flippers and decreases time it takes for someone who wants to wear a Rolex to get actually get one. It’s a piece of plastic. Your watch is still warrantied. You still have proof you paid for the watch on a certain date. You can get an appraisal from the AD further confirming your ownerShip. I don’t think it says anywhere in writing that when you buy a Rolex you’ve paid for a plastic card or the sticker adhering to the left lug on the six o clock side of the watch.

Wow - thank you for the responses guys - this thread has exploded (wish XRP would do the same but that’s a different story).

I’m not looking to flip this watch but I’m just concerned about possibly needing to sell it within 12 months should circumstances dictate that I have to (or even if I don’t like the watch as much as I thought I would). As such, would a photocopy of the warranty card and proof etc that the card is at the AD be sufficient if I ended up selling it or would it have a negative impact on its value compared to selling it with the physical card?

Thanks again everyone!
Yodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 08:32 AM   #133
Bt122
Banned

Watch: Ok...Watching
I’m still waiting on my warrantee card :)
Bt122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 08:38 AM   #134
el-heffe
"TRF" Member

Selfishly, I hope this becomes the new practice. Less flippers and less people buying watches. Good news for everyone, except those who refuse to pay along. Win-win.
el-heffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 10:21 AM   #135
GBD
"TRF" Member

To be clear, the AD might keep the plastic card, but the warranty still goes with the watch, no matter where the watch goes. They're just hoping that holding the plastic card will discourage flipping, but it in no way alters how the warranty functions.

I can imagine that it would complicate things for GM sellers, who would have to keep track of their buyers in order to send them the warranty card after it's relinquished by the AD.
GBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 10:54 AM   #136
79280_116520
"TRF" Member

Man, you guys in the UK have it "rough" in all ways. Now your ADs get to "confiscate" your warranty cards?

Perhaps fly over the pond for a mini vacay to the states or visit one of your European neighbors to get the full experience?
79280_116520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 11:02 AM   #137
Bt122
Banned

Watch: Ok...Watching
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79280_116520 View Post
Man, you guys in the UK have it "rough" in all ways. Now your ADs get to "confiscate" your warranty cards?

Perhaps fly over the pond for a mini vacay to the states or visit one of your European neighbors to get the full experience?
I’m in the us bro
Bt122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 11:14 AM   #138
railgrail
Banned

if it weren't for the limited availability and all the asshole flippers/grey "dealers", then this would be unacceptable. but given the current unfortunate situation, i'm happy with this policy if it helps legit buyers get an example for msrp.
railgrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 11:15 AM   #139
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
(Insert AD practice here)

AD’s do because they can .................

They can because buyers allow it .................

When buyers stop allowing and start walking, it will end .............

One of the greatest fault finding tools is a mirror.
Old 26 April 2018, 11:46 AM   #140
el-heffe
"TRF" Member

Only a small number would walk and they'd quickly be replaced. It wouldn't be a huge problem. Rolex has probably done their research, already know this, and aren't too worked. It's great to be king.
el-heffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 11:53 AM   #141
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardC View Post
I think that doesn't make sense. What if the AD closes down? Or you move to another country? etc. etc.
Rolex will issue a new warranty, maybe even from the date of the AD's demise, and they can post one to you if you leave town, all logistical problems can easily be sorted, I presume Rolex will extend a lot of goodwill to these types of true customers.
Old 26 April 2018, 11:55 AM   #142
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRIDES View Post
(Insert AD practice here)

AD’s do because they can .................

They can because buyers allow it .................

When buyers stop allowing and start walking, it will end .............

One of the greatest fault finding tools is a mirror.
Not buyers, flippers, when they stop, this stops.
Old 26 April 2018, 12:06 PM   #143
cdnwatchguy
"TRF" Member

To be honest I don't understand why they would even bother with a warranty card. Its the 21st century, all they need to do is register the purchase and anytime a customer takes a watch in for service a few mouse clicks and all the information is there.

If their corporate policy is warranties aren't transferable then the buyer needs to consider that before purchasing. Many products, including expensive ones, have non transferable warranties.
Old 26 April 2018, 01:41 PM   #144
Kieranrd
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
AD keeping the warranty card for 6 months or such is no problem as far as I'm concerned. I buy the watch to wear and get them to size the bracelet and remove all the stickers there and then so I can wear it out.
I have no doubt that if I had a warranty related issue in that 6 month period that there would be absolutely no problem getting it sorted.
If this stops the profiteering flippers and gives genuine buyers a better chance then I'm all for it.
Old 26 April 2018, 05:13 PM   #145
D O C
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116710LN
If an AD truly suggested this then it might be a negotiating point to maybe get a little bit of a discount. Ok so keep the plastic warranty card, but how about a 10-15% discount? Worst they can do is just say no.

D O C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 06:09 PM   #146
Devildog
"TRF" Member

AD keeping warranty card?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodel View Post
Wow - thank you for the responses guys - this thread has exploded (wish XRP would do the same but that’s a different story).

I’m not looking to flip this watch but I’m just concerned about possibly needing to sell it within 12 months should circumstances dictate that I have to (or even if I don’t like the watch as much as I thought I would). As such, would a photocopy of the warranty card and proof etc that the card is at the AD be sufficient if I ended up selling it or would it have a negative impact on its value compared to selling it with the physical card?

Thanks again everyone!

I have zero doubt that if you had to sell your watch prior to the expiry of the 12 month retention period for legitimate personal or financial reasons, your AD would return the card. It’s being done to both flush out and stop flipping purely for profit and resale to the grey market resellers. Not to create problems for legitimate buyers.

What I would say though I’d be 100% sure you’re not buying a BLNR based on hype and with the thought that if you don’t like it you can immediately sell on at no loss/small profit.

Card retention brings an end to those carefree days. Make sure you really want it.

Old 26 April 2018, 06:22 PM   #147
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
I have zero doubt that if you had to sell your watch prior to the expiry of the 12 month retention period for legitimate personal or financial reasons, your AD would return the card. It’s being done to both flush out and stop flipping purely for profit and resale to the grey market resellers. Not to create problems for legitimate buyers.

What I would say though I’d be 100% sure you’re not buying a BLNR based on hype and with the thought that if you don’t like it you can immediately sell on at no loss/small profit.

Card retention brings an end to those carefree days. Make sure you really want it.

i second this. Its to stop flipping. AD's who know you well might not even keep the card but might for another customer they don't know. If its been worn and they see that you intent was to keep it but you lost your job or something i highly doubt they would not return it.

This is 100% to stop people buying with the intent to flip. If you speak to them and explain if something were to happen they should return it.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 06:28 PM   #148
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
Unacceptable. Once you buy the watch, it is yours and you are free to do whatever you want with it. End of story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post
this!

No one is stopping you doing exactly what you want with your watch once you've bought it.

You'll just be doing it with a plastic card which is not "yours" by any rights anyway

Old 26 April 2018, 06:30 PM   #149
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
No one is stopping you doing exactly what you want with your watch once you've bought it.

You'll just be doing it with a plastic card which is not "yours" by any rights anyway
+1

can't flip certain high demand cars either. There was recently a case where some famous guy tried to sell his and got sued. Also cant export Range Rovers and have to agree to that at the time of purchase. Its the same as flipping. Buying in one market where the price is lower and exporting it to another country and selling it. So post purchase restrictions are nothing new.

In this case you CAN sell the watch. You just don't get the card so they are not limiting what you can do with it, just adding difficulty.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 06:55 PM   #150
colonelpurple
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
While I am not a fan of having them withhold the card, if they make you sign something agreeing to allow them to, there really isn't much that you can do.

Rolex's website statements won't supersede any personal agreement you enter into with an AD.
correct. in some ways
I wouldn't buy anything under these conditions

Buyer beware

for example, if you move to another country and another registered dealer refuses to send it to Rolex for repair as you haven't the card, then you are stuck. Personally I would support the dealer in this, as having the card is a key sign the watch hasn't been stolen off someone's wrist

You are fundamentally paying full price for something which you are only partially being supplied with. If you are ok with that that's fine. But then no one should complain about being treated badly by any retailer as they have undermined all sales of goods legislation everywhere
colonelpurple is offline   Reply With Quote