The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 26 April 2018, 08:44 PM   #1
Old Red
"TRF" Member

Should I Service My Vintage?

Hello community. I’m new here and would like some guidance. I have an early 70’s single Red Submariner that was my father’s. It works perfectly, however it is missing the bezel and it has never been serviced. If I have it serviced by Rolex, how will that affect its value? Will it lose value?
Grateful for your helpful comments.
Old Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 03:42 AM   #2
Gecko10
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 1675
My suggestion is to send it to WatchMarkers International in Arlington TX. They do great work on vintage watches. and are highly recommended on TRF and will guide you through the whole process

http://www.watchmakers.com/
Gecko10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 07:59 AM   #3
R.O.L.E.X
"TRF" Member

Yes. Be careful who you send it to, you don't want original parts replaced. The video below may be of interest.

If you don't get a watch serviced for prolonged periods of time, it's possible for the oil to degrade. Once this occurs, the metal parts which are inadequately oiled will have higher friction and may have metal rub off eachother, into the watches' remaining oil which then circulates grit around the watch causing damage... Just because the watch is still running doesn't mean it should not be serviced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuXWRazWU20

Edit: Also as you may not be aware: If you send the watch to Rolex they often insist on replacing parts like the crystal and hands/dial even though the existing ones are fine as they want to return the watch as being waterproof and in 'serviced' condition. If you find a reliable non-Rolex watchmaker and give them clear instructions / find the bezel yourself online even you will save a lot of money. Be careful who you give the watch to however.
R.O.L.E.X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 09:41 AM   #4
oldtimerfahrt
"TRF" Member

Thumbs way up for Bob Ridley with Watchmakers International! Just received my 1675 back and am extremely pleased with results. Great, great service and counsel.2nd Vintage Box 2.jpgCaliber 1575.jpgTop View.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
oldtimerfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 11:03 AM   #5
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

How would you like it to look when it’s done?

If you want it refinished to perfection, that in itself would remove value to collectors.

If not, then keeping it as original as possible would be a good goal.

There are many vintage watchmakers with the expertise to overhaul it - and who will honor your wishes about leaving the value intact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 12:06 PM   #6
Old Red
"TRF" Member

Gecko10, thank you for your recommendation.
R.O.L.E.X., appreciate the video and thoughts. Agree with what you wrote and 77T your point is well taken. I’d like it to be sound mechanically but not lose it’s vintage charm. I will probably just have it serviced and replace the bezel but not the facia. It’s a bit yellowish but it is a 40+ yr old watch. Oldtimerfahrt... heat looking watch.
Old Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 04:27 PM   #7
NOPDK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko10 View Post
My suggestion is to send it to WatchMarkers International in Arlington TX. They do great work on vintage watches. and are highly recommended on TRF and will guide you through the whole process

http://www.watchmakers.com/
Agreed. Send to Ridley’s at link above. Don’t send to Rolex or risk having important aesthetic pieces of watch replaced.
NOPDK is offline   Reply With Quote