The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 26 April 2018, 10:41 PM   #1
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
This may be the end.......

For analog watches. Just kidding!!!

Saw this link posted on Twitter this AM. Taking analog clocks out of classrooms because kids cannot read them. Interesting.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/educatio...nagers-unable/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 10:50 PM   #2
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
This is the second time I've heard this story in a week, I mean it's just familiarity and not really a big deal, but if you've never been exposed to it how would you know?
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 11:17 PM   #3
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
They also can’t do simple math without the McDonalds picture type calculators. You know, add, subtract, multiply, and divide. I’ve often seen a person who had access to the calculator on a phone not being able to figure out what to do when faced with a simple math problem.

The rule in school when I went decades ago was that calculators were not allowed. The process was as important as the ultimate answer. Process and knowing that process was extremely important.

Sorry, but computers are making the average human being dumb.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 11:19 PM   #4
cdmorenot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Is anybody teaching them anymore?

I remember we used to dedicate an entire week a year from Pre-K until 1st grade making paper clocks and all sorts of crap.

We can't fault these kids for not knowing how to read clocks if nowadays they're in a classroom trying to figure out why 2+2 = Mike ate an apple before he got home and he got sick.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
Old 26 April 2018, 11:30 PM   #5
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
School systems seem corrupt to me. No writing, how do you even sign your name, even more, why shouldn't you sign your name. Hmm chip? Also history is not taught or conveniently changed. No math, Gym is going away. Children and future generations seem to be targeted? I'm not a paranoid one but I don't like what's going on, then again I'm learning to almost not give a sh*t because I have a pretty good life right now.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 11:33 PM   #6
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

i have a hard time believing this. My oldest is in reception (almost 5 years old) and they are learning to tell the time on a clock.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 11:39 PM   #7
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
My son is taking creative writing this semester in high school. Rest assured, he can do math, he writes very well and he can tell time on an analog clock. He also rides his bike to school from time to time (about four miles one way).
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 12:48 AM   #8
bdex75
"TRF" Member

I don’t honestly think that none of the kids can read an analog clock. But my wife works in our high school and I promise you there is a fair percentage there that cannot.

There was just a kid by us that scored a perfect score on the AP exam. Ones that are going to Ivy league schools and such. Point being every kid is different and that is good.

I, by no stretch, think that it is a sign of intelligence or a lack there of that kids cannot read a clock. But more a sign of the times.

I am in my early 40’s. How many things are out there that my dad did in high school that I didn’t have to because times changed. Many I am sure.

As far as math goes that is an interesting conversation. We went thru “common core” experience when we were in illinois. I was glad when that one was over. I don’t really care how someone gets to 50 when asked what 25 + 25 is but when my kid says 50 immediately because in his head he says 5+5 is 10, carry the one 2+2+1 is 5, 50. Or has it memorized (flash cards) and the teacher marks it wrong because he didn’t draw boxes and shade them I take issue.

When it comes to writing cursive it saddens me that kids are not taught. But the “how will they sign” their name on contracts etc is not really a big concern anymore. In our business we are trying to get clients and advisors to embrace electronic signature. We use a two factor authentication to validate identity etc but that doesn’t look very good on a Birthday card!!!

Old 27 April 2018, 12:56 AM   #9
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdex75 View Post
When it comes to writing cursive it saddens me that kids are not taught. But the “how will they sign” their name on contracts etc is not really a big concern anymore. In our business we are trying to get clients and advisors to embrace electronic signature. We use a two factor authentication to validate identity etc but that doesn’t look very good on a Birthday card!!!
i tend to agree. If its an either/or then technology/typing/computer learning is more important than writing cursive. I think they need both, but need cursive less. A good school shouldn't be making that choice to begin with though and just do both.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 27 April 2018, 01:46 AM   #10
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
i tend to agree. If its an either/or then technology/typing/computer learning is more important than writing cursive. I think they need both, but need cursive less. A good school shouldn't be making that choice to begin with though and just do both.
I agree that typing is more important than writing cursive. I was taught cursive in grade school but I abandoned it long long ago. I can type fluidly without looking at the keyboard. It sometimes takes me longer to formulate a thought than it takes to type it out. My boss can't type, he hunts and pecks at the keyboard and it drives me nuts watching him try to type a response to an e-mail... not like I'm going to offer to do it for him though. He will stare at the keyboard, pecking out a response not realizing he has the caps lock on or he made a mistake and then he backspaces through the rest of the sentence to correct his mistake. I could have typed a few paragraphs in the amount of time it takes him to formulate one sentence.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 02:21 AM   #11
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRider View Post
I agree that typing is more important than writing cursive. I was taught cursive in grade school but I abandoned it long long ago. I can type fluidly without looking at the keyboard. It sometimes takes me longer to formulate a thought than it takes to type it out. My boss can't type, he hunts and pecks at the keyboard and it drives me nuts watching him try to type a response to an e-mail... not like I'm going to offer to do it for him though. He will stare at the keyboard, pecking out a response not realizing he has the caps lock on or he made a mistake and then he backspaces through the rest of the sentence to correct his mistake. I could have typed a few paragraphs in the amount of time it takes him to formulate one sentence.

Ha!!!! It drives me nuts as well.

If one has to be said to be “more important” than the other I can agree with the computer in today’s day and age. But beautiful handwriting (cursive) is a wonderful art. I tend to use fountain pens to slow down my writing these days.

Old 27 April 2018, 03:28 AM   #12
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmorenot View Post
Is anybody teaching them anymore?
Not really. That's why budgets are geared more towards military and large government funding and not for schools/education. Just need basic skills to work the machines and stuff. No need for smart, excellent critical thinking and debate skills. Just need them knowing the very basics and staying dependent on the State while 'paying their fare share' so they're 'good enough' to go.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 03:30 AM   #13
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Not really. Just need basic skills to work the machines and stuff. No need for smart, excellent critical thinking and debate skills. Just need them knwoing the very basics and staying dependent on the State so they're 'good enough' to go.
i hear that a lot. Makes me wonder what schools everyone's kids go to. I know mine don't go to schools like that. Or is it just everyone else's schools?

Almost everyone i know hates on schools, but their kids school is the exception. Its strange. Hardly anyone says, My kid goes to an awful school and he will be unemployable and a bum when he grows up because of it.
Old 27 April 2018, 04:14 AM   #14
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Not really. That's why budgets are geared more towards military and large government funding and not for schools/education. Just need basic skills to work the machines and stuff. No need for smart, excellent critical thinking and debate skills. Just need them knowing the very basics and staying dependent on the State while 'paying their fare share' so they're 'good enough' to go.
When was the last time you saw a computer build a house?

There are tons of jobs that require math skills and analytical thinking. Most modern tooling requires skilled labor to operate, and skilled labor requires a strong core education upon which to base the tradecraft.

School funding is politics. So let’s not go there.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 04:21 AM   #15
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601

Agree

I see no value in analog clocks in classrooms - or anywhere else for that matter. Save the company or school budgets.

More watch sales is good for the economy, right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 04:29 AM   #16
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Well said, thanks for keep thing on track.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 27 April 2018, 05:36 AM   #17
wantonebad

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Hey, ultimately it doesn't really matter most of the clocks in my schools were broken but they all were UNGODLY slow!!
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 05:43 AM   #18
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Quote:

There are tons of jobs that require math skills and analytical thinking. Most modern tooling requires skilled labor to operate, and skilled labor requires a strong core education upon which to base the tradecraft.

I have a son that is 16 years old and a sophomore in high school. Part of a project that he just did was around careers. Pick 3 that interest you and tell the class what you need to do to obtain that position, why you chose that position and what the benefits of the position were.

He chose skilled trades, firefighter/police and financial advisor.

When I asked why for each.
1. We have family that are carpenters and electricians including his grandfather. And that he has read a lot about the shortage of people willing to do this and knows I will help him start his own company.

2. My brother is a firefighter and we have police in our family as well. The local police department posted an ad on instagram that they were hiring and the pay was $50,000 to start. And on the fireman he could work 1 day and have 2 off to do another job and make more money.

3. Financial Advisor is my fault. Maybe he will take over my practice one day??

Old 27 April 2018, 05:56 AM   #19
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
A few months back.

http://www.businessinsider.com/3d-pr...dollars-2018-3

Old 27 April 2018, 06:26 AM   #20
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
My son learned to tell time on an analog watch (Lego) last year at 4 years old. He rarely takes that watch off.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 06:33 AM   #21
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
I now have this image in my head of a London teenager, staring up at Big Ben, wondering what in the world those bloody numbers are for
Old 27 April 2018, 07:21 AM   #22
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPaul View Post
I now have this image in my head of a London teenager, staring up at Big Ben, wondering what in the world those bloody numbers are for
its being serviced at the moment so you can't really even see it. Their turnaround time is worse than Patek's, so it will be a few years.
Old 27 April 2018, 07:32 AM   #23
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
its being serviced at the moment so you can't really even see it. Their turnaround time is worse than Patek's, so it will be a few years.

Ha!!!

Old 28 April 2018, 09:33 AM   #24
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
While I'm not here to dispute whether analog or digital clocks are better/more useful, easier to read etc., nor how technology is impacting our lives - I find it tremendously sad that a child, in this day and age, cannot be taught how to read an analog clock.

But then again I'm the 26 year-old who can't stand smart watches, so maybe it's just me:)
tudorbaja27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2018, 06:49 PM   #25
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRider View Post
You can teach monkeys to type. The content will be nonsense, of course.
When I was at work there were lots of younger folks who could type 10 times as much as me, but it was rubbish. My written correspondence took me a while but the result was worth engraving in gilt lettering in granite. It was the English language, and was intelligible to literate people, which was more than I could say for a lot of the gibberish that I received in emails.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2018, 11:56 PM   #26
Bt122
Banned

Watch: Ok...Watching
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdex75 View Post
For analog watches. Just kidding!!!

Saw this link posted on Twitter this AM. Taking analog clocks out of classrooms because kids cannot read them. Interesting.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/educatio...nagers-unable/

My kids school teaches how to read analog clocks. Maybe this is just on the other side of the pond
Bt122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2018, 12:41 AM   #27
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bt122 View Post
My kids school teaches how to read analog clocks. Maybe this is just on the other side of the pond

I think every school does (hopefully). Maybe it is a use it or lose it thing. My kids have friends that don’t know how to ride a bike so not a lot surprises me these days.