The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 27 April 2018, 02:05 AM   #1
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Backing up and rethinking with $15k budget

I've been going back and forth and rethinking quite a bit, want to make a good decision. I'm looking for a 2nd watch to add to my 16610, and I want to own just 2 watches. The 16610 is a lifetime keeper, and I'd like this 2nd one to be as well. Although my Sub is a daily wearer and will continue to be, I like to own things (not just watches) that I can use at any time with a lot of versatility. Can wear it to the gym, at home, at work, swimming, whatever.
The Sub is basically the perfect watch for me, and I'd want my 2nd watch to have a lot of the similar types of qualities: (1) comfortable and ergonomic; (2) reliable and durable; (3) can wear with almost any type of clothing/situation. It would not be a stretch to say I want a watch that's most like a Sub without it being a Sub, if that makes sense. Right now here are some of the options I am considering and my thoughts:

(1) APRO 15450: My local AD only has the 15400. I've gone and tried it on twice, and I think it's just a tad too big. I have not been able to find a 15450 to try on however, but I think it would fit my wrist better. It's closer to my budget as well, which is a bonus. My only concern is durability/reliability. I've read a ton of forum threads regarding this issue, and it seems like the best conclusion is APRO's reliability/durability concerns are overblown, but you still should treat it more like a dress watch and be more careful than a Rolex. So not sure if this is the right watch for me considering the qualities I'm looking for.

(2) Daytona 116520: I prefer the last gen white dial to the current Daytona C, probably because it's the Daytona I "grew up" with and pined over. Lightly used ones fit my budget as well. Concerns I have is that it might stand out and scream "Rolex" or "nice watch" too much. The Sub and its basic design have become so ubiquitous I think it blends in very well and nobody notices it. I do worry the Daytona will be much more eye catching, which is not really what I want when out in public. Also, the Daytona IS a Rolex, but at the same time it's a chronograph movement. I am wondering if it's going to be something I do have to take care of more than a Sub. And then if so, maybe I should just go for the RO. Put another way, if it's a watch I can't necessarily wear like my Sub and have to baby, I think I'd rather take my chances with an RO.

(3) Some other model: The APRO and Daytona are my favorites by far. But some other watches I've kind of considered are the Blancpain Bathyscaphe, the new JLC Polaris, Rolex BLNR, etc. So if you think there's a watch that really sounds perfect for me, I'd be willing to try it out.

(4) Spend less $$$: This kind of goes with (3) I guess. I am definitely open to the idea that where I am in life and what I want in a watch NOW may not warrant something like an APRO. That I might be happier sticking to Rolex, Omega, IWC type brands and maybe use the money saved on a trip or something. In this scenario I'd get something like a Rolex OP to pair with my Sub, and call it a day.
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 03:35 AM   #2
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
So IMHO, you may like a Daytona over an AP if you want to wear it at the gym/swim/etc. I have a ROC 25860 and the WR is only 50m so I don't swim with it. The Daytona at 100m is suitable for swimming. To me, I love the look of the Daytona and it wears perfectly on my 6.5" wrist. The only two reasons I sold both of my old Daytonas were less than ideal legibility [black 116520 more so than my white 16520] and lack of a date. Other options abound, and something like a Speedmaster plus nice vacation like you mention could fit the bill. At least you're not rushing into anything and that will help you make a good decision
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 03:49 AM   #3
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Does the DJ41 or DJ2 interest you? I have a DJ2 in blue. It runs from sporty to dressy. It is comfortable and not too big.
scarlet knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 04:45 AM   #4
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvrf View Post
So IMHO, you may like a Daytona over an AP if you want to wear it at the gym/swim/etc. I have a ROC 25860 and the WR is only 50m so I don't swim with it. The Daytona at 100m is suitable for swimming. To me, I love the look of the Daytona and it wears perfectly on my 6.5" wrist. The only two reasons I sold both of my old Daytonas were less than ideal legibility [black 116520 more so than my white 16520] and lack of a date. Other options abound, and something like a Speedmaster plus nice vacation like you mention could fit the bill. At least you're not rushing into anything and that will help you make a good decision
Thank you. $15k is a good chunk of dough, and I want this to be a lifetime keeper, so I am being deliberate. I have impulse purchased, flipped, and lost too much $$$ in the past,
Old 27 April 2018, 04:47 AM   #5
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
Does the DJ41 or DJ2 interest you? I have a DJ2 in blue. It runs from sporty to dressy. It is comfortable and not too big.
Unfortunately, no, although I appreciate the suggestion. I love how the DJ41 and 2 look overall, but I still see the overall design/interpretation as more dressy. And if I am going to get that kind of watch, I'd rather go SMALL, I see 36mm as perfect. So if I would go the DJ route, I'd definitely do DJ 36mm.
Old 27 April 2018, 04:51 AM   #6
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Omega Aqua Terra in 38.5?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 27 April 2018, 05:06 AM   #7
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
Omega Aqua Terra in 38.5?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I probably should have made a list of popular watches I've owned and flipped . I have owned the AT in both sizes. Both were a tad too thick for what I'd want in that kind of style/watch. For that specific aesthetic, I think I would much prefer Rolex DJ/OP is 36mm or 39mm guise.

I really enjoyed the exhibition caseback on the ATs though. I think the 8500 series movements are quite nice to look at for mass produced movements.
Old 27 April 2018, 05:36 AM   #8
SROB
"TRF" Member

Out of what you listed, I'd go with the RO.

Personally, I'd look for something a bit different from your sub... maybe in the independent world, Moser.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 05:39 AM   #9
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Daytona and the GMT will both be as bullet proof as your Sub. That's why a lot of us like em, they are the "wear everywhere" watch.

(Unlike you however, I was never one to swim in a good watch).

I do believe that to be a "wear everywhere" watch a bracelet is a must. Some will say rubber straps too but they don't dress up well and then you have the strap changing hassle.

Have you looked at the Vacheron Overseas? Quick change system for the straps, I believe you can have a bracelet, leather and rubber. I have no idea of pricing as it's not a watch I like or wish to own but I'd assume that preowned or grey it may fall into that budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 05:54 AM   #10
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

I had the Omega AT in 41mm, flipped it, Miss it, find the 38.5 a good size for men but don’t have it yet. Good luck in your search, that is a large part of the fun!
Old 27 April 2018, 06:07 AM   #11
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay (Eire) View Post
Daytona and the GMT will both be as bullet proof as your Sub. That's why a lot of us like em, they are the "wear everywhere" watch.

(Unlike you however, I was never one to swim in a good watch).

I do believe that to be a "wear everywhere" watch a bracelet is a must. Some will say rubber straps too but they don't dress up well and then you have the strap changing hassle.

Have you looked at the Vacheron Overseas? Quick change system for the straps, I believe you can have a bracelet, leather and rubber. I have no idea of pricing as it's not a watch I like or wish to own but I'd assume that preowned or grey it may fall into that budget.

I think grey market the VCO would fall in the budget, used probably more so considering how much VC depreciates, but I almost never see the newer model come up for sale. That being said, I actually have tried on both the new Overseas and the previous gen, and at 41mm and 42mm (previous) they wore a tad too large I thought.
Old 27 April 2018, 08:36 AM   #12
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

What about the new GMT? Might be a little wait of course but you'll have the robustness you want and with the bezel having some colour and the jubilee bracelet you'll get something that while built like a Sub gives you a very different look (more so than the BLNR).

I find for the Royal Oaks only the 15202 works for me these days. 39mm is the "right" size on this watch for my wrist but I also need the thinner case. Of course that's not in the budget! Some of the older references like the Dual Time or the Chrono at 39mm might be worth a look perhaps. However I don't find these to be as timeless as the time/date references and so I'd question your long term happiness with them.

Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote