The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 27 April 2018, 03:50 AM   #1
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Rolex To Use Blockchain Tracking

As with other jewelry, some manufacturers are now considering using IBM's blockchain to track jewelry. Rolex could easily do the same and thus no need for warranty card as each watch has a specific ID as does the owner's wallet. As ownership changes from the Rolex factory to the AD it is registered. Sale to first buyer is naturally registered/tracked, as are RSC services. Blockchain allows some verification of authentication during resale of course, and said sale can be registered and tracked, thus becoming a part of the overall watch's open and transparent history.

Rolex enthusiasts can see who has the largest (always anonymous) 'wallet', etc as well. Great news is, you can visit the wallet of your local AD, or other ADs as you so choose, to see what they have in stock.

Thoughts?

As an example www.trustchainjewelry.com
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 03:57 AM   #2
ink3027
"TRF" Member

My sources say the only holdup on Rolex's side is waiting for them to figure out how to hold the "digital warranty card" for 12 months
ink3027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 04:01 AM   #3
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
doubt they will implement this technology. if they did it would be to track flippers and blacklist them from ADs.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 04:02 AM   #4
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

LOL

Plus Rolex can see what ADs tend to have a higher percentage of stock 'flipped' often as that is tracked as well when the new owner receives the watch to verify authentication, register the warranty, etc.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 27 April 2018, 04:03 AM   #5
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I think there is a fundamental misunderstanding of post-sale blockchain capability here. The example, TrustChain, is for supply chain sourcing information. All parties must be bound by the same methodology. The benefit ends after the sale is made.

The new owner of an item is not bound by anything pertaining to blockchain tracking. Plus, there is no incentive to participate.

I get the caché of dreaming through this emerging technology, but if Rolex wanted to track their timepieces, they could do that far easier than a blockchain implementation. Thus far, only RSC’s track anything after the sale in a consolidated fashion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 04:06 AM   #6
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I think there is a fundamental misunderstanding of post-sale blockchain capability here. The example, TrustChain, is for supply chain sourcing information. All parties must be bound by the same methodology. The benefit ends after the sale is made.

The new owner of an item is not bound by anything pertaining to blockchain tracking. Plus, there is no incentive to participate.

I get the caché of dreaming through this emerging technology, but if Rolex wanted to track their timepieces, they could do that far easier than a blockchain implementation. Thus far, only RSC’s track anything after the sale in a consolidated fashion.

yeah they could put an RFID chip in the dial!

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 27 April 2018, 04:09 AM   #7
SoCal_Batman
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛ BLNR | AK
Quote:
Originally Posted by ink3027 View Post
My sources say the only holdup on Rolex's side is waiting for them to figure out how to hold the "digital warranty card" for 12 months
This +1 (well played)
Old 27 April 2018, 04:10 AM   #8
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:

Agreed

Zero benefit to Rolex outside the manufacture process
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 04:17 AM   #9
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
True, yet how many of you would never register your new Rolex / verify it is authentic? Don't you want your Rolex wallet to have all your timepieces in it just in case they get stolen, need service, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
yeah they could put an RFID chip in the dial!
Old tech, yet a possibility and would make it easy to register for new owners. Not a big fan of RFID tho, easy to 'steal' RFID data.

Old 27 April 2018, 04:18 AM   #10
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
This Big Brother tech is probably too innovative for conservative Rolex, thankfully, altho in the future some sort of tracking post sale seems inevitable if the market doesn't even itself out.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 04:20 AM   #11
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
True, yet how many of you would never register your new Rolex / verify it is authentic? Don't you want your Rolex wallet to have all your timepieces in it just in case they get stolen, need service, etc.

Old tech, yet a possibility and would make it easy to register for new owners. Not a big fan of RFID tho, easy to 'steal' RFID data.
it was a joke.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 27 April 2018, 04:22 AM   #12
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
This Big Brother tech is probably too innovative for conservative Rolex, thankfully, altho in the future some sort of tracking post sale seems inevitable if the market doesn't even itself out.
raise prices 1,000% that should do it.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 27 April 2018, 10:46 AM   #13
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
That would be nice, but not happening anytime soon would think
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 07:55 PM   #14
tmo8320
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126600 Mark I dial
I think it would be great...but I’m pretty big on cybersecurity/ supply chain integrity in general.
tmo8320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 07:59 PM   #15
challer
"TRF" Member

Blockchain or something like it is going to infiltrate many aspects of everyday life. It would not only benefit Rolex SA but dealers and buyers as well. Think of its impact on tracking lost and stolen watches?
challer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 08:16 PM   #16
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post

No. This has zero value to me.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 08:34 PM   #17
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Not for me. Rolex should focus on supplying watches and providing after sale service.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 11:22 PM   #18
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by challer View Post
Think of its impact on tracking lost and stolen watches?
Excellent point!

Old 27 April 2018, 11:54 PM   #19
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Once you get your watch there will be a six year wait list for the tracking
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2018, 08:26 AM   #20
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
the downside is you are relying on people to register their goods. and lets be honest who the hell wants to do that.....

another downside is the stores with high wallets may be perceived as either poor sellers or very high sellers , vise versa low wallets could be low budget and struggling or flippers and constantly move inventory to make a quick buck

the blockchain for jewelry is not the best analytic for data. If you want, im sure you can buy the data of a jewelry store...for a high dollar amt.....if you went to an AD and had a convicing enough reason why you needed their sales data and paid them the cash they want....i couldnt see that being impossible, just kinda awkward lol
mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote