The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 27 April 2018, 06:04 AM   #1
dannyp
Banned

Why is the 7118 explicitly marketed as a women's watch?

I have a bit of difficulty understanding why this watch isn't marketed as "unisex" (with the understanding that it will primarily be bought by women)? Even though 35.2mm is on the small side, it still fits squarely into the mid-size/unisex category in my book (just like Rolex 34 and 36mm models).

The decision is interesting from a marketing/psychology perspective in particular; while the size would keep most men from purchasing, its designation as a "women's" watch will keep all men from purchasing. Men just won't buy a "women's watch" the way they might a "unisex" piece.

Perhaps this is why I walked into a dealer yesterday that had two in the case, one in each dial color.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 06:34 AM   #2
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Not sure. I generally agree with you but this 7118 looks so much different from the 5711 that I don't think many buyers would jump on board the way they do with Rolex OP or AP RO.
Old 27 April 2018, 07:07 AM   #3
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Not sure. I generally agree with you but this 7118 looks so much different from the 5711 that I don't think many buyers would jump on board the way they do with Rolex OP or AP RO.
Guessing the perceived visual differences have mostly to do with the wavy vs. straight pattern on the dial. In my mind that's the only thing making it markedly feminine, much like some of the dial options on the Rolex OP. Take that away and you have a stainless everyday, semi-dress watch well suited to men whose watches must go appropriately with business formal attire.
Old 27 April 2018, 07:16 AM   #4
henry333
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
Would of loved it if it wasn't a women's watch..and maybe less wavy on the dial
henry333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 07:34 AM   #5
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

it seems feminine to me. wavy dial and different hands and hour markers. It just doesnt give the impression of a mans watch.

Size aside, if you put pictures of a 5711 and a 7118 next to each other so they looked the same size and asked a random person who had never heard of Patek to tell you which one is the mens watch and which one is the ladies watch, im confident they could do it every time.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 08:01 AM   #6
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
it seems feminine to me. wavy dial and different hands and hour markers. It just doesnt give the impression of a mans watch.

Size aside, if you put pictures of a 5711 and a 7118 next to each other so they looked the same size and asked a random person who had never heard of Patek to tell you which one is the mens watch and which one is the ladies watch, im confident they could do it every time.
With the wavy dial, I agree entirely. But that would have been an easy change in the design. What I find more puzzling is PP's departure from other watchmakers in what watches it markets and how. I don't know of any other watchmakers making a particular piece in three case sizes, where the middle size contains a mechanical movement, yet is marketed exclusively as a ladies' watch (vs. a "unisex" watch, the customer base for which will be ~75% women).

On that note, I also don't know why the watch is 35mm, not 36, but I digress.
Old 27 April 2018, 10:56 AM   #7
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Maybe because the marketing geniuses at PP needed a reason to pitch a new product to the higher-ups?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2018, 11:32 AM   #8
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

Instead of producing this ugly thing, they should pump more 5711's so I can buy one.
watchtabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2018, 06:41 PM   #9
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctaborda View Post
Instead of producing this ugly thing, they should pump more 5711's so I can buy one.
i actually just wish they had the same dial as the rest of the nautilus line. That was the deal breaker for my wife. The rest of the watch is fine IMO.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2018, 11:15 AM   #10
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
I have a bit of difficulty understanding why this watch isn't marketed as "unisex" (with the understanding that it will primarily be bought by women)? Even though 35.2mm is on the small side, it still fits squarely into the mid-size/unisex category in my book (just like Rolex 34 and 36mm models).

The decision is interesting from a marketing/psychology perspective in particular; while the size would keep most men from purchasing, its designation as a "women's" watch will keep all men from purchasing. Men just won't buy a "women's watch" the way they might a "unisex" piece.

Perhaps this is why I walked into a dealer yesterday that had two in the case, one in each dial color.
According to Thierry Stern, about 1/3 of the watches they sell are women's watches. To most people here, that number seems quite high. But then this forum is 99% men, so most of us will have a hard time believing that there is such a demand for women's watches. But I am sure TS and his wife know their customers and the growing purchasing power of women.

The fact is, that outside of these watch forums, most men only own one watch. However it is not uncommon for women to own several watches, just like they own numerous pieces of jewelry.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2018, 11:25 AM   #11
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
According to Thierry Stern, about 1/3 of the watches they sell are women's watches. To most people here, that number seems quite high. But then this forum is 99% men, so most of us will have a hard time believing that there is such a demand for women's watches. But I am sure TS and his wife know their customers and the growing purchasing power of women.

The fact is, that outside of these watch forums, most men only own one watch. However it is not uncommon for women to own several watches, just like they own numerous pieces of jewelry.
Congrats on 3K Jon!

I do see so many ladies PPs in ADs so there is a demand, not sure it's quite as high as 1/3 and probably down to 1/4 as most of the new flippers will be men.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2018, 12:02 PM   #12
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post

That all makes perfect sense, though it doesn't necessarily contradict my point, that a 35mm mechanical would typically be marketed as a unisex watch with the majority of sales being to women. I would still expect the same watch (other than dial, perhaps), with mostly female buyers, but would have thought PP would follow other brands' tendencies to market as unisex.
Old 30 April 2018, 12:54 PM   #13
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Eyewear has basically become unisex. Why not luxury watches? Seems to be consistent with the times: just put out the merchandise and let the customers decide for themselves what works for their style.
Old 30 April 2018, 11:09 PM   #14
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundserious View Post
Eyewear has basically become unisex. Why not luxury watches? Seems to be consistent with the times: just put out the merchandise and let the customers decide for themselves what works for their style.
Yes. From a marketing/psychology perspective, they just can't be marketed as "women's" because then no men will buy.

Market as men's (the way all 36mm Rolex previously were) and a good number of women will still buy; market as "unisex" and purchases will skew slightly female (IMO); market as "women's" and 99% of men won't touch.
Old 4 May 2018, 10:35 AM   #15
xseal
"TRF" Member

I just bought one. I can’t imagine a better daily watch for a woman. The blue and stainless is striking. Too small for me, but I have 7 3/4 wrist.
xseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2018, 10:37 AM   #16
xseal
"TRF" Member

Bought it for my wife. And got very lucky with Pp. they said only one blue dial is being delivered to Wash DC this year.
xseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2018, 12:16 AM   #17
Asue
"TRF" Member

7118 should be made unisex

Yes!!! I didn't see this thread when I recently posted my question about 5800 vs 7118. I was looking for a watch for my husband who has small wrists, and saw that the 5800 is so much more expensive and basically the same size as the 7118. I definitely would have bought him the 7118 if they just had used the word "unisex." (I didn't notice the wavy pattern that others mentioned in this thread)
Asue is offline   Reply With Quote