The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 June 2021, 08:18 AM   #121
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemonster View Post
Such a shame that crime is so rampant and brazen these days. The world over, having to wear masks during Covid has only allowed crime to proliferate, allowing cowards and low-lifes of the earth to benefit from the anonymity of a mandated disguise.

I guess I knew the answer before I asked the question, but was in denial or wanted to hear that perhaps I was just being paranoid. But unfortunately, the responses have largely confirmed the reality and that the world has changed (or maybe it hasn't)- the rich are richer, the poor are poorer, the desperate are more desperate...

Oh well, I can now justify having an 116710 as a stunt double for my 126715, LOL!
You knew the answer already, but needed validation.
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 08:36 AM   #122
Bitmover
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario1971 View Post
At work on the Baltic Sea.

Came for the discussion, stayed for bird pics!
Bitmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 08:45 AM   #123
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
Seems like this was directed at me, as I stated both things. The safety of others? Ok...

Enjoy wearing your watch at home, I'll enjoy wearing mine where I please.

Not really towards you. Just anyone that thinks the worst that can happen is an insurance claim. As for safety of others, I forgot, there is the unwritten rule that spouses and family are off limits to these guys. Actually they can be quite polite. They have morals.

Wear your watch wherever you want, I could care less. Didn’t ask where you wear it. Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 09:34 AM   #124
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
I've only pocketed my watch a few times. Those times were due to the situation (crowded, lots of bumps) not the location.

Looking back at some of the places, I'd make a different decision next time. It's not worth the mental bandwidth.

These threads seem to carry the same path: "I wear what I want, I have insurance", "don't wear in city X, Y, Z" (even if I've never been there), "you're paranoid", "you're naïve", "I've never had a problem and I've been everywhere"... the list goes on.

Information carries and we hear the unfortunate events of travelers pretty quick, especially on here. Sorry to hear the stories of some of the members.

I trust my gut and learn from the experience of myself and others.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 09:45 AM   #125
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
International traveling/vacations....never Rolex. I have a variety of "shitters" that would not be too concerning if lost or stolen.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41 White/Romans
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 10:21 AM   #126
Stud Screw
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233
Being cognizant of your surroundings can go a long way to deter this problem. Get your face out of your phone, stop the constant selfies (which expose your wrist), walk like you know where you are and where you are going. As much as possible, be aware of the people around you and their spatial relations to you, don't take anything for granted. Keep your hands in your pockets. I know it is hot out, but wear long sleeved shirts. If all this is an inconvenience to you, then wear a G-Shock and relax.

“Better to have thunk wrong than not thunk at all.”

Last edited by Stud Screw; 18 June 2021 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: spelling
Stud Screw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 10:26 AM   #127
roadie1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Divers, GMT
Wearing PM Rolex on travel abroad, do you?

If you get the full RG, hang onto the TT! It’s nice having both and the RB is such a cool watch!
roadie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 11:11 AM   #128
Ensign
"TRF" Member

I don’t think a PM Rolex draws anymore attention than a steel Rolex. If a robber goes after your 45k DD or Rootbeer, why wouldn’t he go after your 10k Datejust?

But if you are scared of wearing a costly watch, why wear it?
Ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 11:14 AM   #129
Fuldagapflieger
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT, Tudor Sub
Hmmm, in the past year..
Koeln, Frankfurt
Seoul, NYC
Guadalaraja, LA
Rome

Have worn my GMT every trip

In the past 2 years..
Kyiv, Amsterdam
Wiesbaden, Paris, Stuttgart
Llubjiana
Chisenau, Vienna

GMT everytime…do practice safe observation skills full time

Only time I ever worried was Balad, Iraq in 2004
Fuldagapflieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 12:01 PM   #130
dbacr
2024 Pledge Member

I don’t wear my PM watches when I travel. Probably more in my head, but I’m just uncomfortable traveling with pm on my wrist. I have worn a Sub or Tudor half way around the world and didn’t think twice. My go to travel watch today is a bronze IWC Darwin.
dbacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 12:27 PM   #131
eddiemonster
"TRF" Member

Watch: @tm3machine
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadie1 View Post
If you get the full RG, hang onto the TT! It’s nice having both and the RB is such a cool watch!
My man! I wish I was in the position to afford both... but realistically, I just want one grail to cherish. I feel like once I strap the FG on, the Rolesor will just be collecting dust. As far as a beater, I'll likely be looking for something <5K. Thinking either a quintessential piece- Speedy Pro, a modern classic- Tudor BB GMT, or a high-end micro- Monta Ocean King or MKII Project 300.
eddiemonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 12:46 PM   #132
Passinthru
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign View Post
I don’t think a PM Rolex draws anymore attention than a steel Rolex. If a robber goes after your 45k DD or Rootbeer, why wouldn’t he go after your 10k Datejust?

But if you are scared of wearing a costly watch, why wear it?
Solution: If you must wear a costly watch, dress like a slob and wear a SS 8171.
Most robbers won't even notice it and you and your watch will hopefully be safe.
Passinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 01:36 PM   #133
Fanofsteel
"TRF" Member

I was tempted to make a separate post about this, but I'll risk this getting lost/overlooked here before littering the forum with a potentially dumb question. For those of you who throw on a beater/less desirable watch that doesn't get thieves excited, what you wear? Is there even a such thing as a nice watch that's not well known to thieves, or are cautious travelers essentially doomed to wearing cheap beaters? Someone in here mentioned microbrands & watches that are still nice but lack the demand & risk that Rolex carries. Any suggestions/pics would be welcome.
Fanofsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 01:48 PM   #134
Combine man
"TRF" Member

Have always worn a Rolex abroad, Indian,and lots of African safari trips main worry is monkeys getting in to tent and stealing any thing lying around so never leaves the wrist.
The watch is always insured,but have known people to be attacked to get the watch in the UK,but also car jacking,wallets and rings etc. Feel safer abroad than in my own capital city.
Combine man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 05:09 PM   #135
zhqiang
"TRF" Member

I go abroad only with my 16570, not my any other Rolexes.
zhqiang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 05:17 PM   #136
aceofangel
"TRF" Member

I wear a Ulysse Nardin dual time when I am traveling. Very low key, excellent push button GMT feature and still a decent brand and produces some talking points.

Would never feel comfortable with PM Rolex in Paris, London etc. Most places are safe but if you are not a local you may not know all the places to avoid.
aceofangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 05:56 PM   #137
horseShu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Aqua Terra
At the end of the day, we here are just a bunch of clowns typing words in a watch forum.

It's your watch, your safety, your peace of mind. So you make the call.
horseShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 06:12 PM   #138
Gwai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuldagapflieger View Post
Hmmm, in the past year..
Koeln, Frankfurt
Seoul, NYC
Guadalaraja, LA
Rome

Have worn my GMT every trip

In the past 2 years..
Kyiv, Amsterdam
Wiesbaden, Paris, Stuttgart
Llubjiana
Chisenau, Vienna

GMT everytime…do practice safe observation skills full time

Only time I ever worried was Balad, Iraq in 2004
You've been to Koeln aka Cologne, my hometown - thanks for visiting.

That gives me an excuse to tell you guys a story. Sat outside a Cologne bar at night a few years ago after a drink too many, on a railing, just, uh, contemplating. Young couple walked by and the guy remarked, "That's a nice watch!" I was wearing my 44mm co-ax Speedmaster, cried out merrily, "Thanks, man! Wanna see it?!" Opened the clasp, about to hand the watch to the stranger. Who politely declined, probably bewildered, and went on his way.

Point of my story? Dunno. Weird people are out there, weird decisions are being made. In this case, me and mine, ha ha. (Disclaimer: The odd watch has been reported stolen or even robbed in my hometown, too, just like basically anywhere else.)

Cheers
Marc
Gwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 06:37 PM   #139
Pandos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thxv009 View Post
Wouldn’t wear a Rolex in Barcelona or Paris. I don’t like London too

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro
Very good advice, had a friend of a friend lose their Smurf to a mugging in London.

Essentially the culprits had been watching him for a while after noticing his nice rotation of watches over a number of weeks.

I love London and it's a fantastic city, but some parts are unsafe (despite being otherwise pleasant looking).

On OPs question: I don't usually, SS or PM. I like to travel light in the event that something happens, the worst i'll lose is a phone and some cash/credit card details.
Pandos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 07:36 PM   #140
Gwai
"TRF" Member

Being cautious, trying not to be stupid, etc. is one thing.

Victimizing yourself by anticipating becoming a victim is another. Takes the joy out of life, I think.

That being said, obviously individual comfort levels vary greatly. (And, as has been posted somewhere above, demonizing the European travel experience is rather funny, from a European's perspective.)

Cheers,
Marc
Gwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 11:03 PM   #141
challer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwai View Post

Victimizing yourself by anticipating becoming a victim is another. Takes the joy out of life, I think.

That being said, obviously individual comfort levels vary greatly. (And, as has been posted somewhere above, demonizing the European travel experience is rather funny, from a European's perspective.)

Cheers,
Marc

I've been to every city on this thread and then maybe twice in addition, over the past five years. Three times my watch was attempted to be stolen, Paris (at night), Barcelona during the day, and London during the day. All in the past two years. These people are just getting more emboldened with little real chance of punishment. Unfortunately, this has taken some fun out of the game. It's hardly the travelers fault
challer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 11:33 PM   #142
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
The least expensive Rolex represents a lifetime of earnings for a person in some parts of the world and then there are those who chose a life of crime that would just as readily kill you for a $250 Seiko as they would a $40K Rolex. I've visited 73 countries so far. Wore some model of Rolex in almost all of them and never had an issue but times are changing. Petty thefts are increasing escalating into violent assaults and murders. All the self awareness in the world won't save you when a criminal or gang of criminals targets you and rolls up on you and puts a firearm in your face. Of course, some areas are safer than others but even being in the ritziest area doesn't guarantee immunity from crime. Some workers at resorts, restaurants and stores who make less than you are shelling out for a room for one night or a meal than they earn working a week are easily tapped by criminals to select their prey.
Having written this, I still choose to wear a Rolex most places I go but I'd be lying if I didn't say I now pause and think about my decision to do so before going.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 11:55 PM   #143
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
Quote:

Cheers,
Marc
All of this.
Old 18 June 2021, 11:57 PM   #144
thxv009
"TRF" Member

Well I don’t own a Rolex (yet) but if I get one (I want the gmt or sub) I would still wear my BB58 for travel. Love the watch. It doesn’t shine like the ceramic RLX but still look good. But even with a Seiko or an apple watch you could be a target.

I‘m careful. I really don’t like when people are right behind me while walking. I let them pass.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro
thxv009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2021, 12:16 AM   #145
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Ok, this is probably going to sound idiotic but hear me out. I'm a bit amazed at some of these tales of thieves snatching watches off the wrist in a momentary "touch". Given the number of styles of clasp releases it's actually super impressive to think a person could know exactly which type you have and disengage it before you knew what had happened. Anyway, has anyone ever considered something like a single 1" wide wrap of 3M packing tape around the clasp as an extra level of security? I don't hear any stories of thieves yanking so hard your bracelet breaks, so if you do something to prevent the clasp from opening that would seem to avoid these "bump and it's gone" scenarios. Not the sort of thing I'd consider doing for my whole life, but if I knew I were going into a crowded tourist area for the day it may add some peace of mind?
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2021, 12:18 AM   #146
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Yes it was completely targeted. This man is a very high end dealer.

However there had been incidents of this, enough to where the watch dealers and branded boutiques named the crew the “Melrose crew”.

The entire community was shook. People with $5k breitlings, $10k submariners, $30k APs were all very shaken. I’ll remind you that in these areas, ss rolexes are as common as flipflops, gold rolexes as common as aviator sunglasses. The guys and gals working at salons or handing out fliers from their stores will be rocking APs and cartier bands...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemonster View Post
Wasn't it in a Beverly Hills restaurant that a man was robbed of his $700K RM or something like that? I believe the thief actually shot his female dining companion in the leg to coerce him to remove it.
SLWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2021, 12:20 AM   #147
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Quote:

Cheers,
Marc
Couldn't agree more. Constantly anticipating something bad may happen at every corner, don't understand how you can enjoy life like that. There's 1001 bad things that can happen in life other than have your watch stolen.

Also notice that these type of "Is it sage to wear my watch going to XXXXX" seem to be mostly from our US friends here traveling to Europe, Asia etc. Wonder what all that is about? Is the US the safest place on earth? If your ok wearing it in a major city in any country, then it should be no different in any other.

Traveling and visiting new places is one of my favorite things in life, and have been to some dodgy areas in my time and worried about the safety of those around me but I've never thought twice about worrying about the watch I'm wearing while doing so.
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2021, 12:24 AM   #148
eddiemonster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Geezer View Post
The least expensive Rolex represents a lifetime of earnings for a person in some parts of the world and then there are those who chose a life of crime that would just as readily kill you for a $250 Seiko as they would a $40K Rolex. I've visited 73 countries so far. Wore some model of Rolex in almost all of them and never had an issue but times are changing. Petty thefts are increasing escalating into violent assaults and murders. All the self awareness in the world won't save you when a criminal or gang of criminals targets you and rolls up on you and puts a firearm in your face. Of course, some areas are safer than others but even being in the ritziest area doesn't guarantee immunity from crime. Some workers at resorts, restaurants and stores who make less than you are shelling out for a room for one night or a meal than they earn working a week are easily tapped by criminals to select their prey.
Having written this, I still choose to wear a Rolex most places I go but I'd be lying if I didn't say I now pause and think about my decision to do so before going.
All of this, well said!
Old 19 June 2021, 12:31 AM   #149
kearez
"TRF" Member

Be aware of your surroundings and if your spider sense is tingling time to get out of that situation.
Also dressing yourself down helps, but people forget their Rimowa, or LV luggage, Tumi backpacks, yeezys, Gucci sleds. Are just as much as a show of wealth as your watch is.
kearez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2021, 12:54 AM   #150
eddiemonster
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Cheers,
Marc
Hi Marc, I and likely my American friends who have posted on this thread are not at all insinuating that the US is a safe country than any in EU, Asia, etc. I am American/ US based so that makes me a tourist in your continent or country and therefore would likely stick out like a sore thumb in unfamiliar territory. I mentioned the high-profile watch jacking in Beverly Hills, CA, so that gives you an idea of how un-watch safe the US can be...

Another observation, perhaps my own, is that I feel that when I travel to major European or Asian cities, is that the people are generally more fashion forward & savvy and more into high-end brand names than the typical American. I think we known throughout the world as T-shirt, shorts and flip-flops wearing slobs, LOL! That being said, I feel that unless it's watch enthusiast, the average American has no clue what watch you are wearing, what it's worth, and has no care or aspiration to own a luxury watch. In other words, f I were European, I would probably have made the same post asking about the safety of wearing a PM Rolex while vacationing in the US!