The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 June 2021, 11:24 AM   #1
replicator
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/AP
WG BLRO owners - how do you feel about the nee 2021 GMT II on Oyster?

As an owner now of the WG BLRO blue, wondering what other owners (especially black dial) think about the new SS model on oyster. I still prefer the WG version over SS, and I chose WG because it doesn’t attract the kind of attention YG does so that was sort of the point I suppose. However, not sure what this would do to the perceived resale. Most other PM models have a more distinct visual feature, be it subtle (bezel, dial).
replicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 11:32 AM   #2
Potawatomi
"TRF" Member

I think the used value of black dial WG BLRO is telling. When I bought a PM GMT I didn't even consider an original WG. The blue dial is a bit more interesting but if I'm getting a white metal GMT it's going to be a meteorite dial. I instead decided to get the RG GMT because it's unique unlike the WG black dial gmt.
Potawatomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 04:26 AM   #3
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Think most would not care as only them need to know their watches are PM
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 04:55 AM   #4
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
I'm picking up the WG GMT Meteorite later today. I also have SS BLRO but it's the jubilee version. Blue dial is nice but meteorite is special. Never considered the black dial version.
MichelleP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 06:20 AM   #5
replicator
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post
Think most would not care as only them need to know their watches are PM

Yes, that’s true for many. However, it’s fair to desire some distinction other than the alloy - who doesn’t want something a bit unique?
Old 18 June 2021, 06:21 AM   #6
replicator
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleP View Post
I'm picking up the WG GMT Meteorite later today. I also have SS BLRO but it's the jubilee version. Blue dial is nice but meteorite is special. Never considered the black dial version.

Wow congrats - beautiful dial. Have not seen one in person before. Look forward to the pics.
Old 18 June 2021, 06:26 AM   #7
Doood
"TRF" Member

I agree with replicator.

I am not a WG BLRO owner, but if I was, I would not be happy. Rolex should have kept the Pepsi white gold only. If they want a new stainless variant, they easily could have released a new Coke in stainless, but they didn't.
Doood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 06:42 AM   #8
Xerxes77
Banned

I have a WG METEORITE DIAL and SS Pepsi with jubilee bracelet…..
In my opinion Rolex hit the owners of WG BLRO black dial……
I make a thread about this and many answers are that the owners of WG BLRO don’t care….. I think it’s not like this ….because when they buy BLRO WG they want to have a special BLRO even if they want to be a stealth BLRO……
Let’s be honest we buy don’t buy a watch…. We buy a Rolex…. and when your WG BLRO are almost equal in price with SS BLRO OYSTER ….. you’re not very happy
I buy my WG BLRO METEORITE DIAL because it’s a special BLRO and also because it’s UNIQUE….. Rolex can produce how they want but there not be two dial identical….. and for Rolex this difference it’s a big thing….
Just my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 06:59 AM   #9
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
I’ve had all three. I’m of the opinion that….
-If I owned the WG black dial still, I’d be a little perturbed, but not bent out of shape. Honestly…WG is for the owners enjoyment, sense of pride, etc….
-the WG meteorite or blue dial is equally special IMO. I mean it’s just personal preference…either you’re gaga/in love over the meteorite or same for the blue. One is just is as rare as the other.
rmlovett1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 07:14 AM   #10
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
METEORITE FTW.

I hate to say this because many people don't have the stainless BLRO, but a lot of people out there have them. When you get to a certain level of collecting, scarcity matters.
SLWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 07:24 AM   #11
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

I think they should have offered the option to change to metorite dial.

I’m with Xerxes77, you want WG to be special and different dial than SS dial.

Imagine the question was if Rolex game out with SS of the 116519LN, or if Tolex offered same Platona dial now on SS.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 07:42 AM   #12
Giangos
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG BLRO, Sub C, WG
My first Rolex was the WG BLRO that I got in 2017.
Then the SS jubilee was released and now the SS oyster.

It’s a strange move by Rolex to go to SS oyster. I can’t really see why other than it is an easy way to have a “new release”.

All throughout this the C24 price on the original WG has continued to rise along with everything else. In any case, PM buyers are generally not in it for the price growth, I bought it because i loved it and I still do.

Confused? Yes. But not upset at all. It’s a PM Rolex! What’s the problem???!

Giangos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 11:34 AM   #13
replicator
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes77 View Post
I make a thread about this and many answers are that the owners of WG BLRO don’t care….. I think it’s not like this ….because when they buy BLRO WG they want to have a special BLRO even if they want to be a stealth BLRO……
Let’s be honest we buy don’t buy a watch…. We buy a Rolex…. and when your WG BLRO are almost equal in price with SS BLRO OYSTER ….. you’re not very happy
I buy my WG BLRO METEORITE DIAL because it’s a special BLRO and also because it’s UNIQUE….. Rolex can produce how they want but there not be two dial identical….. and for Rolex this difference it’s a big thing….
Just my opinion

The meteorite is something otherworldly, congrats. I actually picked my WG after learning of the new 2021 SS BLRO so not too perturbed, as I love the watch and the feel of the WG. SS owners will also love it on oyster, and I guess it becomes the ultimate stealth now that there is a SS version that for most will look the same without closer inspection.

I do think the WG blue/black for many will still be valued and appreciated, but it is definitely a bit of a strange move. The GMT for Rolex seems to be a model that shifts and changes the most, and you never know what to expect next.
Old 18 June 2021, 11:38 AM   #14
replicator
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
I think they should have offered the option to change to metorite dial.

I’m with Xerxes77, you want WG to be special and different dial than SS dial.

Imagine the question was if Rolex game out with SS of the 116519LN, or if Tolex offered same Platona dial now on SS.

Platona dial on SS - don’t have one, but don’t give them any ideas
Old 18 June 2021, 01:57 PM   #15
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
I dont have a wg gmt, but have a wg ym and for me, its the feel of PM the makes me love the piece.
Old 18 June 2021, 01:59 PM   #16
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes77 View Post
Just my opinion [IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210617/aa2bf965352b201f5bbdf4629785018b.jpg[/IG]
[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210617/00c709582286388da28709d69be7cc4b.jpg[/MG]

I agree with this. I get the whole stealthy/just for me blah blah, but I also want something that is unique when deciding to splurge on the WG, and expect that Rolex would have my back. I think this was a very strange move by Rolex.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 02:23 PM   #17
0ptimus_1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116508-116718ln
Former WG Blro owner, ended up switching to yellow gold. In my opinion, SS Blro on oyster looks better. The yellowish tint in WG compared to the crisp SS finish is why I prefer the stainless in this model.
0ptimus_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 02:29 PM   #18
iTreelex
"TRF" Member

ss > wg
iTreelex is offline   Reply With Quote