The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 18 June 2021, 12:30 PM   #1
Kawirider
"TRF" Member

Need advice. AD called.

Hey guys. So I have a bit of a dilemma. About 2 years ago my quest for a 326933 skydweller white dial started. I inquired in person about one at one AD and really thought I would have luck with this one SA. I maintained contact through email every few months wishing her well and letting her know I still was interested. She was always nice and stated to just be patient.

Somewhere around a year ago I sent a random message to a local AD that I’ve never even walked into. I expressed my wants and I was told it’s an in-demand watch and he would let me know if one comes in.

So what did I do? I went gray and I purchased the 326933.

Randomly today, I got a message from the second AD that a 326933 in white is available and I am next in line. I was shocked as I really didn’t even believe they would remember me.

Now, I have a chance to make my first purchase with an AD and get in the door. I know I won’t be able to jump on any stainless models right away but I don’t care for stainless anyway. I’m just sick of going to ADs and being asked “have you purchased with us before”? It would be nice to be able to potentially request other watches I want in the future.

So I have a few options.

1. I purchase the watch(that’s on hold for me until tomorrow) to get some buy history with the AD. It would be cool to have all the receipts and such in my name.

2. Go see it and respectfully, Pass on the watch. (Don’t want to do this)

3. I can buy the watch from the AD and than sell mine from my gray for the same price I pay. My watch is April 2021 and is like brand new so considering the grays are selling them for 22k + I’m sure someone would love to buy a practically brand new one for 19,200 or so. I already posted it to see if anyone is interested.

4. Buy the new watch from the AD and after go drop mine off at a local reseller who Ive worked with before. His offer is $18,750. To me the few hundred I lose is worth my foot in the door at the AD.

I really want to purchase from the AD but at the same time I would love to pass the “savings” on to someone who’s looking for this watch. I’m positive the gray will repost my watch for 22k or more.

If I sold mine privately, someone would be saving 3k. I would break even which I’m totally fine with but I would gain the buy history with the AD. So that’s a win win in my eyes.

At the same time, I really don’t want to have 40k in watches, nonetheless 2 of the same watch. I don’t know if it’s wise sitting on both of them, waiting for one to sell.

What would you guys do in my shoes? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kawirider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 12:35 PM   #2
spikep
"TRF" Member

Keep what you have and let someone else get the new watch. Just my opinion.
16610 LN, 16610 LV, 126610 LV, 126622 Rhodium, 126710 BLRO jubilee, 126710 BLRO oyster, 126719 Meteorite, 116710 BLNR, 126711 CHNR, 126715 CHNR, 326934 BLACK, 326934 GREEN, 216570 BLACK, 116500LN WHITE, 116500LN BLACK, 126710 VTNR jubilee
spikep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 12:39 PM   #3
Furrygoat
"TRF" Member

Get the new and get rid of the old, but tbh this seems like a closet for sale post.
Furrygoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 12:40 PM   #4
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

I'd go option 4. The extra money isn't worth the hassle to me
hutch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 12:41 PM   #5
AG23
"TRF" Member

Option 4. Lose a little money and start a relationship that you want to develop.

Selling privately is also a nice idea but there’s too many potential hazards for me.

Best of luck
AG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 12:42 PM   #6
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you
Need advice. AD called.

Just go to see the AD and tell them that you bought it grey as you had been waiting for so long, so don’t want to stop anyone else on the list from getting it. And show them your watch so they don’t think it’s because you don’t have the money.

Then say that you don’t think it’s fair to the next person if you bought this watch just because it was offered to you, but you’re very keen to see what else they may have that you could be interested in.

Honesty is always the best policy and goes a long way, in my book.

♛ Milgauss 116400GV ♛ Deepsea D-Blue 116660 ♛ Submariner 114060 ♛ Submariner 116613LN ♛ Exp. II black 216570 ♛ Exp. II white 226570 ♛ Sky Dweller white 326933 ♛ Sky Dweller Blue 326934 ♛ GMT II 116710 black ♛ GMT II 126710BLRO ♛ GMT II 126711CHNR ♛ GMT II 126710BLNR ♛ Daytona 116509 ♛ DD40 228238 H HUBLOT BIG BANG e ceramic C CHANEL J12 3125 AP 3120 MVT
BumbleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 12:42 PM   #7
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 12:43 PM   #8
samuel019
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
As much as I want to say let someone else get it you gotta do what’s best for you.

If you want a relationship with an A D then there’s only one way to do it. Buy this one. Sell yours.

But then again you said you didn’t want to have 40k in watches so what else would you hope to buy after this one from the A D? Or did you mean 40k in the same watch?
Old 18 June 2021, 12:45 PM   #9
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you
Need advice. AD called.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleB View Post
Just go to see the AD and tell them that you bought it grey as you had been waiting for so long, so don’t want to stop anyone else on the list from getting it. And show them your watch so they don’t think it’s because you don’t have the money.

Then say that you don’t think it’s fair to the next person if you bought this watch just because it was offered to you, but you’re very keen to see what else they may have that you could be interested in.

Honesty is always the best policy and goes a long way, in my book.

And by the way, the grey offering you below MSRP for a 2 month old watch that sells at a nice premium in the secondary market is daylight robbery. Don’t even consider it man. They charged you market rate, why should you accept below MRSP…

♛ Milgauss 116400GV ♛ Deepsea D-Blue 116660 ♛ Submariner 114060 ♛ Submariner 116613LN ♛ Exp. II black 216570 ♛ Exp. II white 226570 ♛ Sky Dweller white 326933 ♛ Sky Dweller Blue 326934 ♛ GMT II 116710 black ♛ GMT II 126710BLRO ♛ GMT II 126711CHNR ♛ GMT II 126710BLNR ♛ Daytona 116509 ♛ DD40 228238 H HUBLOT BIG BANG e ceramic C CHANEL J12 3125 AP 3120 MVT
BumbleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 12:45 PM   #10
Kawirider
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuel019 View Post
As much as I want to say let someone else get it you gotta do what’s best for you.

If you want a relationship with an A D then there’s only one way to do it. Buy this one. Sell yours.

But then again you said you didn’t want to have 40k in watches so what else would you hope to buy after this one from the A D? Or did you mean 40k in the same watch?

At the moment, both. But in the future I would be open to a 126613lb. There was once a time where I paid $1000 for a watch and told myself I would never spend more. Lol

Old 18 June 2021, 12:47 PM   #11
Kawirider
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furrygoat View Post
Get the new and get rid of the old, but tbh this seems like a closet for sale post.

I am a pledge member here for the last few years now and already have it posted in the classifieds. Not trying to break any rules. Genuinely wanted advice. Thanks.

Old 18 June 2021, 12:47 PM   #12
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

Need advice. AD called.

Option 4 too… lose a few hundred to build the relationship. I think it’s worth it. I got my last cause I texted my AD and he’s like “I got one”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

watchtabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 12:49 PM   #13
JodyHighroller
Banned

Buy the one offered at the AD and sell your recently acquired one back to the secondary market. You said it yourself losing a few hundred is worth gaining that purchase history.

You may have good intentions passing on the savings, but selling it privately is a hassle for most. Save yourself the trouble and get rid of current one via reseller.
JodyHighroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 12:51 PM   #14
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furrygoat View Post

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 12:58 PM   #15
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
He's a pledge member. He could just post it for sale.

OP, do the deal with AD and recover your grey cost. I had exactly the same thing happen with Pepsi. Sold the grey. Kept the AD sourced.
Old 18 June 2021, 01:05 PM   #16
dannyp
Banned

Option 5: If the AD sells pre-owned pieces, offer to trade them straight up, your current one for the brand new one. Most likely, they can move that one for well above MSRP.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 01:11 PM   #17
Spectre38
"TRF" Member

Watch: and be amazed.
I personally would decline the offer, thanking them for keeping you in mind. As much as you think it would be cool to have the papers and receipts in your name, just for the sake of having them in your name, it would also be cool for the next guy that gets the chance to buy it if you pass.

I passed on a no date sub because I have my SD... I knew that it would mean a lot to the next person on the list. Everybody is different, but that's how I would play it. Good luck with your decision... let us know how it turns out.
Old 18 June 2021, 01:13 PM   #18
Kawirider
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
Option 5: If the AD sells pre-owned pieces, offer to trade them straight up, your current one for the brand new one. Most likely, they can move that one for well above MSRP.

They do sell pre owned. And this sounds like a good idea. But I also worry it can back fire on me. Lol

Old 18 June 2021, 01:18 PM   #19
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawirider View Post
They do sell pre owned. And this sounds like a good idea. But I also worry it can back fire on me. Lol

I don't see how. Tell them you bought grey, but really want it with all paperwork in your name, so you're buying it, and selling yours to do so, and for the good of your future relationship, you'd like to offer them the option of making a wider margin by taking yours in trade, 1:1.

Either they'll want to do that or they won't, but make sure they know it's entirely their choice and you want them to do whatever will be best for the long-term relationship.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 01:40 PM   #20
Giangos
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG BLRO, Sub C, WG
Get the one from the AD, and sell yours for the best price you can get. Even losing a few hundred is worth gaining with an AD.
And don’t bring any of this up with the AD. Why confuse a simple situation, they offered and you are buying. End of story, and keep away from their second hand pieces. In and out.

Let’s see an incoming tomorrow

Giangos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 03:59 PM   #21
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM687
Sell old
Buy new
Cross your fingers it means something

If you really feel bad about someone else missing out, privately sell your old model for RRP to someone you like that way you're not out of pocket for the new piece, but you havent made a profit either
Polar Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 04:05 PM   #22
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Buy it and sell the old one. This is as no-brainer as a no-brainer can get.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 04:50 PM   #23
Dasd329
"TRF" Member

Number 4 all day
Dasd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 05:17 PM   #24
Cheng
Banned

Keeping a good relationship with AD is key, you might need them in the future. So yeah, sell old and buy new.
Cheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 05:28 PM   #25
Gwai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
I don't see how. Tell them you bought grey, but really want it with all paperwork in your name, so you're buying it, and selling yours to do so, and for the good of your future relationship, you'd like to offer them the option of making a wider margin by taking yours in trade, 1:1.

Either they'll want to do that or they won't, but make sure they know it's entirely their choice and you want them to do whatever will be best for the long-term relationship.
What a way to build a relationship! If I were the AD in question, OP'd be back on the street even before he'd finished his pitch.

Cheers
Marc
Gwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 06:36 PM   #26
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
You went to the AD and ordered your watch, then because you had no patience with and no belief in your AD you went grey and bought the watch.

Now that dealership that you claim you want to build a relationship with, yet had so little faith in, has come up with the goods.

If you pass you’re screwed, if you buy you can flip the watch and join the rest of the flippers, you can take a hit on the grey watch by selling it and then flip the new watch to give you probably a tiny profit overall. But then you don’t have a watch.

Oh the webs we weave.

OP, you ordered the watch you should have waited, so go buy from the AD, sell the grey watch, take the hit, learn from your mistake, every time you look at that nice new AD watch on your wrist you’ll be reminded of what you did.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 07:38 PM   #27
turkeysub93
"TRF" Member

Buy from the AD and sell the grey
turkeysub93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 07:39 PM   #28
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Door number 4.
Old 18 June 2021, 08:19 PM   #29
Kawirider
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwai View Post
What a way to build a relationship! If I were the AD in question, OP'd be back on the street even before he'd finished his pitch.

Cheers
Marc

Yeah this sounds good on paper but I just personally see it not going over well.

Old 18 June 2021, 08:24 PM   #30
Brew
"TRF" Member

It seems you found an AD that maintains a valid list, regardless of purchase history. Are you certain building a "relationship" will help?
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote