The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 11 June 2021, 03:08 PM   #1
balaloo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PAM/PP
Brand new AP ROO doesn’t fit

Hi guys,

I just bought a brand new ROO from my AD and loved it during my try on , but the only issue I have with it is that the regular strap is loose on me and I will have to purchase an additional XS strap just to have my watch fit me.

Is this normal? Shouldn’t the watch be fitted to my wrist such as a bracelet would
Be sized accordingly?
balaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2021, 03:26 PM   #2
Fishrus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116622
Quote:
Originally Posted by balaloo View Post
Hi guys,

I just bought a brand new ROO from my AD and loved it during my try on , but the only issue I have with it is that the regular strap is loose on me and I will have to purchase an additional XS strap just to have my watch fit me.

Is this normal? Shouldn’t the watch be fitted to my wrist such as a bracelet would
Be sized accordingly?
I would think that you would have gotten it sized when you purchased it? Unless the AD did not have other sizes available.
Old 11 June 2021, 03:29 PM   #3
Tanuki
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi guys,

Be sized accordingly?
What size is your wrist? I see your point after spending so much money. Happened to me before and another brand gave me the smaller strap no charge and even asked me what color I wanted. You should tell your SA how you feel and ask them what they can do for you.
Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2021, 04:28 PM   #4
balaloo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanuki View Post
What size is your wrist? I see your point after spending so much money. Happened to me before and another brand gave me the smaller strap no charge and even asked me what color I wanted. You should tell your SA how you feel and ask them what they can do for you.
It is around 6.25”, which I think the regular only fits up to 6.75” or so. Yeah, I took that advice and have just flicked through an email to them.

Honestly, they are a local company that is the only AD around that stocks AP. Not the most professional customer service even throughout my purchasing experience, which is why I have yet to inquiry with them.

Your SA sounds wonderful!
Old 11 June 2021, 04:35 PM   #5
balaloo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishrus View Post
I would think that you would have gotten it sized when you purchased it? Unless the AD did not have other sizes available.
The ROO only came on regular straps, and they did not have any models fitted with an XS size. I was very excited about my new purchase and didn't think too much of its slightly loose fitment until I wore it for hours.
Old 11 June 2021, 04:40 PM   #6
balaloo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My wrist is about 6.25", and I think the regular straps only fit snug up to 6.5" or so.

Yeah, I have flicked them an email after reading your reply and was met with very prompt pricing of the XS strap and the favour of ordering it in. Unfortunately, they are a local company that somehow managed to become the only AD of AP around here. Not very professional in their service and even in my purchase experience.

Your SA sounds wonderful though!
Old 11 June 2021, 04:46 PM   #7
balaloo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My wrist is 6.25", whereas the regular strap only fit up to 6.5" if I'm not wrong. I took your advice and sent through an email, only to be met with a prompt reply of the strap pricing and favour to order it in for me.

Unfortunately, they are a local company that somehow managed to become the sole AD for AP around here. Not very friendly/understanding when speaking to them and even during my purchase..
Old 11 June 2021, 04:49 PM   #8
robinmgb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hublot BB Unico
I had the same thing with a 44mm ROO.
Smallest hole on the rubber strap was too loose, simply made another hole and problem solved!
robinmgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2021, 04:57 PM   #9
balaloo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinmgb View Post
I had the same thing with a 44mm ROO.
Smallest hole on the rubber strap was too loose, simply made another hole and problem solved!
Ah wow, I didn't know they could do that. Was it done by AP themselves? Could you send a photo of how it looks please?
Old 11 June 2021, 05:10 PM   #10
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
I think it’s normal to buy a smaller strap if you have a smaller wrist. Most people with Offshores have multiple straps in different colours so the idea of buying additional straps is exactly what everyone else does. If the watch is only just too big then you may get the best fit from combination of 1 side from the regular size and 1 side from the smaller size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2021, 05:39 PM   #11
balaloo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
I think it’s normal to buy a smaller strap if you have a smaller wrist. Most people with Offshores have multiple straps in different colours so the idea of buying additional straps is exactly what everyone else does. If the watch is only just too big then you may get the best fit from combination of 1 side from the regular size and 1 side from the smaller size.

Yes of course. That's the beauty of it. However, I don't think I'm asking for much when I just want the watch to FIT me out of the box when I am paying a sum of money for it. It just seems silly that I purchased a watch with a strap that I cannot even make use out of.

Most aftermarket strap makers only do one standard sizing for their rubber straps and the only XS length rubber straps I could find are official AP rubber straps. The rubber strap that comes on mine is beautiful and it's a shame that I cannot even use it.
Old 11 June 2021, 06:08 PM   #12
balaloo
"TRF" Member

Sorry guys, I replied to each one individually but I'm not sure why it doesn't show up. Some posts require moderation approval?
Old 11 June 2021, 06:15 PM   #13
balaloo
"TRF" Member

Tanuki, my wrist size is 6.25". Regular straps for AP only fit up to 6.5" if I'm not wrong. I flicked them an email and was met with a very prompt reply of the strap pricing and favour of ordering it in.

Unfortunately, they are a local company that somehow managed to become the sole AD for AP around here. Customer service is not very professional through the purchasing experience and post-purchase experience.
Old 11 June 2021, 06:43 PM   #14
balaloo
"TRF" Member

AshAP, yes of course. However, I think it should standard that a watch should fit you right out of the box when you purchase it. Especially something of this price.

I've looked everywhere and the only place I've found rubber straps in XS are OEM by AP. All third-party strap makers do it only in one size.
Old 11 June 2021, 06:48 PM   #15
Emery
"TRF" Member

Sorry if I've missed it, but was there an issue/question?

Just order a shorter strap from ap and you should be good to go.

No different from ordering a "short" leather strap from omega or iwc.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2021, 06:55 PM   #16
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi guys,

Be sized accordingly?

Quote:
Unfortunately, they are a local company that somehow managed to become the sole AD for AP around here. Customer service is not very professional through the purchasing experience and post-purchase experience.
You are an experienced buyer right.

So what do you expect from them, to offer one for free?

Were you clear in your question? Just be upfront and bold ''Dear, I just came home with the watch and just realized the strap is too big. Could I exchange this one for an XS strap?''.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2021, 08:07 PM   #17
GS93108
"TRF" Member

If you'd asked at the time, before wearing it and taking it home, then they'd have swapped the strap out for an XS, presuming that they had one. Unfortunately that's an opportunity missed. However, AP can put an extra hole in and you won't know the difference, other than the 'tail' of the strap is long.

As to AshAP's comment about mixing regular/XS straps, that's what I do, half and half, for the perfect fit for me. Equally, another member here puts a little 'felt padding' inside the strap to bulk it out a little, it works well and is invisible.
GS93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2021, 08:20 PM   #18
balaloo
"TRF" Member

I have purchased from other brands before, yes. Just not from AP?

My question is as simple as wondering if it's normal to buy a watch that charges you just to get it fitted to wear? Every other purchase I've done clearly has shown that they fit the watch by their own means.

I have questioned them but they're pretty unfriendly/unhelpful. Not a pleasant experience in store.
Old 11 June 2021, 08:26 PM   #19
balaloo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS93108 View Post
If you'd asked at the time, before wearing it and taking it home, then they'd have swapped the strap out for an XS, presuming that they had one. Unfortunately that's an opportunity missed. However, AP can put an extra hole in and you won't know the difference, other than the 'tail' of the strap is long.

As to AshAP's comment about mixing regular/XS straps, that's what I do, half and half, for the perfect fit for me. Equally, another member here puts a little 'felt padding' inside the strap to bulk it out a little, it works well and is invisible.
I did ask about it in store but they straight up refused to, as if I've committed some sort of crime.

Purchase has already been done and dusted, but I'm just wanting to hear from member's previous experience. Just surprised as I'm made to purchase an additional strap just to fit me. The original strap is beautiful but just left to sit there
Old 11 June 2021, 08:42 PM   #20
robinmgb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hublot BB Unico
Quote:
Ah wow, I didn't know they could do that. Was it done by AP themselves? Could you send a photo of how it looks please?
I did myself at home with a hole punch, very simple to do.
Sorry I no longer have the watch, gone back to a 42mm
robinmgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2021, 08:45 PM   #21
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I have had an extra hole punched into a regular strap but it is really better balanced just to get an XS strap, most with wrists under 7 inches need this strap.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2021, 08:48 PM   #22
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
AshAP, yes of course. However, I think it should standard that a watch should fit you right out of the box when you purchase it. Especially something of this price.

I've looked everywhere and the only place I've found rubber straps in XS are OEM by AP. All third-party strap makers do it only in one size.

I’m certain that if you’d ordered the watch from an AP boutique then they would have offered a smaller strap or ordered one.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2021, 08:53 PM   #23
GS93108
"TRF" Member

An XS strap is definitely the best ‘balanced’ option for sure.

Just FYI, here’s a regular and xs side by side:

Old 11 June 2021, 08:54 PM   #24
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’m certain that if you’d ordered the watch from an AP boutique then they would have offered a smaller strap or ordered one.

Agreed. I’d find a better AD next time.

Old 11 June 2021, 09:32 PM   #25
balaloo
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Yes I agree. I so very much wanted to go through a boutique that cared about it's customer service. But at the end of the day, I just wanted the watch as soon as possible.
Old 11 June 2021, 09:33 PM   #26
balaloo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
An XS strap is definitely the best ‘balanced’ option for sure.

Just FYI, here’s a regular and xs side by side:

Fair bit of difference! Thanks for that mate.
I will look into the XS ones for sure. I just feel sad that the original two-tone strap on my Ghost will be unused!
Old 11 June 2021, 09:34 PM   #27
balaloo
"TRF" Member

BTW, has anyone had any luck in XS sizes from aftermarket strap makers? (Not official AP strap)
Old 11 June 2021, 09:46 PM   #28
Emery
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Agreed. I’d find a better AD next time.

Unfortunately, no boutiques here in Aus, and seems like only 3 ADs all up in the whole country.
Old 11 June 2021, 09:52 PM   #29
Emery
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have purchased from other brands before, yes. Just not from AP?

My question is as simple as wondering if it's normal to buy a watch that charges you just to get it fitted to wear? Every other purchase I've done clearly has shown that they fit the watch by their own means.

I have questioned them but they're pretty unfriendly/unhelpful. Not a pleasant experience in store.
I think with a watch like the ROO, it should've been apparent from the first moment you tried on the watch that the standard strap wasn't gonna fit well - or at least that was my experience when I tried on a 44mm roo on my 6.5" wrist.

If the subject of swapping to a xs strap was brought up pre-purchase, it might have been negotiable.
Old 11 June 2021, 09:57 PM   #30
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
Unfortunately, no boutiques here in Aus, and seems like only 3 ADs all up in the whole country.
Sorry, I was being a bit flippant. Indeed, finding ANY AD is a somewhat of a luxury.