The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 18 June 2021, 12:05 PM   #31
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign View Post
Maybe set a “waiting period” before you buy your next watch? 6 months? That way you’ll have time to think things through.
That's a good strategy.
At the very least the OP will be able to use it as a circuit breaker and re-evaluate
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 12:09 PM   #32
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
It sounds like there are number of issues you need to address and the fact you are able to move on to the next one without significant penalty is facilitating this addiction/syndrome.

You have taken the first step by acknowledging there is a problem so seeking some professional help may be in order or it may pervade every aspect of your life and have a profoundly negative impact in other more important areas.
One question is in my mind
Has it manifested in a worse fashion since COVID?

The reason I ask, is these types of things are being noted by health professionals as becoming more prevalent since these COVID times, but there hasn't been a psych study into it yet and subsequently given a label.
I mean I appreciate the concern. Please know while I am a bit obsessed with this watch kick, but I have a very normal life outside of this watch thing. I just am very indecisive.
Old 18 June 2021, 12:13 PM   #33
JRell
"TRF" Member

Thanks all for your opinions, very helpful. I am going to wait for whatever comes in first between the Batman and Daytona and see how that goes. That will also probably accomplish the 6 month break I need. Until then will enjoy my 124060 and take a break from the forum. Hope to give you an update down the road!
Old 18 June 2021, 12:14 PM   #34
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
When choosing my watches, I think about design elements that I really appreciate.

I like a rotating bezel, a GMT function, black and white dials. Oh, I like a date, but I also like no date... No watch does all that, but two watches do. Those pieces (14060M/16570) are the core of my collection.

I was not happy with just one or the other. I had to have both.

Maybe it’s not one perfect watch, but a perfect pair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 12:27 PM   #35
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
The way you keep flipping seems like you are not really decided on what you like. Or even if you like watches at all.

Pick a theme that you like. Some like dive, chronograph, no date, gmt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 12:27 PM   #36
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
I mean I appreciate the concern. Please know while I am a bit obsessed with this watch kick, but I have a very normal life outside of this watch thing. I just am very indecisive.
Good to know.
Thanks for the clarification
It's just the way it came across, plus my wife and I were having a conversation around this stuff just yesterday. She works rather high up in the state's health department and it was recently mentioned as an "emerging thing" by at least one of the leading doctors running the show.
So I guess I'm overly conscious of it with it being quite fresh

So your journey has brought you to the Sub which seems to have stuck. That's a start.
Do you have a Nomos and how do you find the ownership experience with it?
Old 18 June 2021, 12:29 PM   #37
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htc8p View Post
The way you keep flipping seems like you are not really decided on what you like. Or even if you like watches at all.

Pick a theme that you like. Some like dive, chronograph, no date, gmt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It can certainly be a journey
Old 18 June 2021, 12:31 PM   #38
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
I mean, its possible your chasing the dopamine hit by acquiring new watches. Right, there are any number of possibilities and I would suggest not making any purchases/changes for a while and see if there is one model that keep coming back to you.

One has to keep a watch, wear it (not keep in a safe) day in and out to build any real meaning or connection, otherwise its just an object or acquisition as soulless as an apple watch.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 12:50 PM   #39
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

The hormonal effect of buying a new piece cannot be ignored. It’s not a joke when people say it’s addictive.

Take a break even from forums for a while. Enjoy what you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

watchtabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 12:54 PM   #40
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Keep the no date sub. It's a classic and will always look good.

Get a DD. Classic and will always look good.

The colored bezels might be what is wearing on you. I know they are not for me.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 01:19 PM   #41
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Which sub, the lv? I know I need to, wish I was as cool and chill as your cat emoji!
That, or the Batman, or....

If I may, keeping only two or three timepieces can get boring for guys who desire variety. Stop selling, keep what you get and build a diverse collection of 8 pieces, 16 or 20 is better still. From Seiko bargain to .... Omega... Panerai... FP Journe if you need something dressy. Get what YOU desire, not what's fashionable or today's hot model. Nothing wrong with getting a hot model you love, AND will keep, but also mix it up with things like a Bvlgari Octo, or Tag Heuer Monaco Gulf edition... or Swatch 51.

Heck, build a fun cheap collection of Seiko, G Shock, Swatch.... if you're so afraid of "losing money".

Or Rolex, FP Journe, ALS.... if you got the desire and time.

Or an MB&F........ plus whatever.

If you're too obsessed on the money thing, you basically limited yourself to the me-too crowd. That gets boring doesn't it?

jmho

Sig file applies.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 03:12 PM   #42
teabags001
Banned

Watch: DD40, hulk, Dayton
Quote:
Originally Posted by ks58 View Post
I've always bought watches I plan to keep. I haven't sold one, nor do I plan to. Are there any sentimental reasons to buy a watch? Kinda surprised your AD keeps selling you or considering you for watches that you may sell. Did you buy the Bluesy from them twice before and they're considering you for a third time?
If you really haven't been able to enjoy the watches you buy, you may not want to keep buying.

My thoughts too. I have heard of people buying “multiple” of the exact same watch at the same AD.

teabags001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 03:50 PM   #43
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM687
Not sure of your financial position, but if you're using the sale of watch A in order to purchase watch B, maybe save your pennies, buy watch B for cash AND THEN decide if you want to sell watch A

Knowing you can chop and change at anytime with little to no financial loss is part of the problem.
You want what you cant have and it makes you dislike what you do have.

That having been said, the only watch out of my collection i've ever sold was a $150 Seiko 5, so i'm probably more of a hoarder than a collector
Polar Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 07:04 PM   #44
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Keep a Sub (ND) and go on a scuba diving expedition or get certified.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 07:49 PM   #45
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

OP, I think the mistake you are making is that you are looking to add watches to your Sub which do exactly the same thing as it does. Many collectors do that, and so have I for years, as we have the notion that we somehow have to rotate our watches in equal proportion and that any watch that doesn't get worn as much as the others isn't worth adding to the collection. That's also why most of us tend to have dress watches that are inferior to our sports watches, because on the one side, you have to tick that box and have one, but on the other, who really wears a dress watch anymore.

I think the art is breaking free from that, and progressing to a model where you have one or two solid watches to serve you every day (your sub for instance) and then forget about the constraints of "wearability" "frequency of rotation" "wrist time" "too similar to what you already have", etc... with regard to what you want to actually collect. Instead, the latter should be informed only by the passion and fascination you have for it.

This is why a wear a Rolex, but I collect Lange. My Rolex I have had for 10 years now, it serves me well and while I certainly got used to how it looks, I won't hold the fact everything becomes boring with time against it, because it's the only one I have to wear every day. The watches I collect, on the other hand, I never wear long enough to get bored of. When I take them out, that alone makes the occasion special, which always keeps the flame alive.

It's like having an old Jaguar E Type in the garage. You wouldn't use that for your commute, nor does it need to be any good for grocery shopping. But on sunny weekend days on a back road, its the best drive you can have.

And to me, I would clearly prefer to have one modern BMW 5 series for my commute and that old E Type, and who knows, perhaps a Bruno Sacco convertible with a star on the bonnet, instead of having 3 essentially similar modern BMW 5 series in mildly different engines and colors in a "rotation" for my commute.

So my suggestion, as you have clearly already found your perfect everyday watch in your Sub, is don't look for a substitute. Nothing will be as great at what it does so well. Instead, explore where your passion leads you and collect things that you will not use every day (given you have that covered) but that are really special. Whether that's vintage Subs, high watchmaking dress watches, or even watches at all, that's up to you.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 08:06 PM   #46
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Maybe I am not fit to collect. I kinda love all of the above mentioned, but find flaws in all of them. So should I give up any collection hopes and if not, what should I get? Anyone else out there like me?
What else do you do this with? Cars, clothes? What is the longest you have kept something?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 08:15 PM   #47
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Really; never buy a watch unless you've just got to have it. I try to live by that rule but am not always successful. If it's not calling you then don't go!!! Enjoy your newest editiong Sub!!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 09:32 PM   #48
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Next watch or quit advice

I’m always hesitant about buying another watch, because I always ask myself, “am I really going to wear it?”

Truth is, I’m not really sure.

I’ll eventually get 1 or 2 more watches, but it’s going to be a slow process. Could be years…

Ironically, the watch I think I really want is one you apparently don’t like. Blue dial DJ41 with fluted bezel. The other watch I have my eye on is a blue dial Omega 300mp.

Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 10:04 PM   #49
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Next watch or quit advice

Stop buying with your brain and buy with your gut. Don't research so much. Page turn the Rolex catalog print edition like it's a p*rno mag. Find out if anything makes you go "sh*t, that's incredible"

For me very few Rolex do that. I'm only interested in one more, maybe two. Meteorite Daytona (small side for me) and jubilee skyD.
Old 18 June 2021, 11:17 PM   #50
franktehtank
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav01L View Post
OP, I think the mistake you are making is that you are looking to add watches to your Sub which do exactly the same thing as it does. Many collectors do that, and so have I for years, as we have the notion that we somehow have to rotate our watches in equal proportion and that any watch that doesn't get worn as much as the others isn't worth adding to the collection. That's also why most of us tend to have dress watches that are inferior to our sports watches, because on the one side, you have to tick that box and have one, but on the other, who really wears a dress watch anymore.

I think the art is breaking free from that, and progressing to a model where you have one or two solid watches to serve you every day (your sub for instance) and then forget about the constraints of "wearability" "frequency of rotation" "wrist time" "too similar to what you already have", etc... with regard to what you want to actually collect. Instead, the latter should be informed only by the passion and fascination you have for it.

This is why a wear a Rolex, but I collect Lange. My Rolex I have had for 10 years now, it serves me well and while I certainly got used to how it looks, I won't hold the fact everything becomes boring with time against it, because it's the only one I have to wear every day. The watches I collect, on the other hand, I never wear long enough to get bored of. When I take them out, that alone makes the occasion special, which always keeps the flame alive.

It's like having an old Jaguar E Type in the garage. You wouldn't use that for your commute, nor does it need to be any good for grocery shopping. But on sunny weekend days on a back road, its the best drive you can have.

And to me, I would clearly prefer to have one modern BMW 5 series for my commute and that old E Type, and who knows, perhaps a Bruno Sacco convertible with a star on the bonnet, instead of having 3 essentially similar modern BMW 5 series in mildly different engines and colors in a "rotation" for my commute.

So my suggestion, as you have clearly already found your perfect everyday watch in your Sub, is don't look for a substitute. Nothing will be as great at what it does so well. Instead, explore where your passion leads you and collect things that you will not use every day (given you have that covered) but that are really special. Whether that's vintage Subs, high watchmaking dress watches, or even watches at all, that's up to you.
This is insightful.

This turned into a very thought provoking thread!
franktehtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 11:18 PM   #51
pedersenkl
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona, GMT, Sub
Quote:
Might be the plan. My wife actually suggested the watch rental service. Do you have one to recommend?
I haven't used any watch rental services, but they might fit your need.

Per Google, maybe:
http://watchlendingclub.com
https://www.watchgang.com
http://borrowedtimewatches.com
pedersenkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 11:27 PM   #52
rmlovett1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Been on that train, so I get it. Just take your time, enjoy the ride, learn your lessons, and accept that those lessons may be a
I, like you, like my comfort food…Rolex, and a select few others.
I always go back to the thought of what would make me the most content if forced to stop enjoying the journey…
1. A nice watch only worn for special occasions…YG Rolex.
2. A nice SS or WG, that I’d wear daily, and try to keep as nice as possible, although knowing sh** happens, and it will show wear and get scratched.
3. An all out, do whatever, whenever, don’t really care how banged up it gets, Rolex.
Push came to shove, I’d live comfortably with that.
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2021, 01:09 AM   #53
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
If you have the money to burn, why change anything?
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2021, 06:42 AM   #54
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
The problem seems to be emblematic of the larger problem with the Rolex brand that has turned me off to it. The brand itself perpetuates this type of behavior with its hype beast status.
Old 19 June 2021, 07:27 AM   #55
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnorpheus View Post
The brand itself perpetuates this type of behavior with its hype beast status.
Guess I'll be the bad guy and disagree. Overall, Rolex marketing is the same it's always been. Billboards, sponsoring sporting events, etc. This current bubble is far more than just Rolex, or FP Journe, or housing, or luxury hi-fi, high-end outdoor grills.... My local pool company is so backlogged they can't take any new orders.

Simple high demand outstripping supply. And let's not underestimate the added demand for luxury products in Asia as she 'wakes up'. As a further side note, I'd like to see a chart of the demand for women's models in Asia as compared to the USA.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2021, 06:47 PM   #56
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
I honestly think you should quit collecting for some time, it might do you good. Just keep your Sub and don't buy anything else. Disconnect from the world of watches. The perfect watch doesn't exist.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2021, 10:53 PM   #57
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
One thing I find helps rekindle the flame with a current piece is going completely watch-less for 1 or 2 days.

When you put them back on after a break where you start to miss them you remember why you fell in love with them to being with
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2021, 10:59 PM   #58
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by franktehtank View Post
This is insightful.

This turned into a very thought provoking thread!
Thanks my friend, appreciate the kind words

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2021, 12:21 AM   #59
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Its the thrill of the transaction being more exciting than the thrill of owning the watch. This condition can lead to ups, downs, regrets and discontent when it involves anything beyond nominal value collectibles. But it is endemic to collecting for many. Think of all the swap meets, where collectors meet to trade stamps, baseball cards, comic books or whatever. Having an endgame collection goal with fore thought is a good way to balance everything in a healthy and fun way.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2021, 01:48 AM   #60
JRell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav01L View Post

This was extremely helpful. I can’t find another that I like as much to replace, but have to find a complement, spice things up a bit. Thank you!