The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 September 2020, 04:59 AM   #1
rdizzle92
"TRF" Member

AD Bundling Question

One of my local ADs sells jewelry. if i purchase some jewelry lets say around 10-20k in value do you think this would be sufficient for the AD to offer me a steel sport rolex? would i just be eligible for the less desirable pieces that sell only at a small premium above retail on the grey market like explorer 1,2 or do you think they can offer me like a batgirl or pepsi?
rdizzle92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 05:00 AM   #2
wholecz
"TRF" Member

Watch: black
Since you live in Vancouver, I would say 10k to 20k on jewelry doesn't help a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wholecz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 05:05 AM   #3
McinRolex
"TRF" Member

It really depends on AD but I would NEVER purchase a jewelry to put me on "the list" and wait for the call. Jewelry is probably readily available or at least can be ordered anytime.

What I'll do is I will ask AD if they can come up with the piece I want when I purchase the jewelry together.

Tell them what you model want exactly, not just any SS model as they may flag you as a flipper who just want a hot piece.

Good luck!
McinRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 05:07 AM   #4
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,DS,YM42
Pepsi is a huge waitlist even for established clients. If that's the watch you REALLY want, then just go on the list. Otherwise just try for something more attainable. I don't think buying 10-20k of random Jewelry will do much, but if you want to buy something anyway then might as well get it all from the same place and build status. As mentioned above don't say you want.. and then list 4 of the hottest models... makes you look like a flipper
szabo_martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 05:08 AM   #5
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Don't you think that this is something that you should be discussing with your Dealer?
Old 23 September 2020, 05:16 AM   #6
5Zigen
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: PP, AP, Rolex
If you are referring to Montecristo, good luck. Palladio and Luggaro - have a slight chance to get you on the ever elusive "waiting list"
5Zigen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 05:23 AM   #7
jakemiller69
"TRF" Member

My estimate is, if you want a pepsi be prepared to buy a few watches and get closer to $100k USD to get moved up that list. But that is just my estimate
jakemiller69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 05:27 AM   #8
ROLEXster
"TRF" Member

Watch: is on BS wait list
Lugaro wanted me to buy a Platona at MSRP then she'll put me on the list for a batgirl.

And offered to buy my Daytona under the table for $15k canadian.
I laughed and walked out.
ROLEXster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 05:30 AM   #9
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Ask your AD. Ask the owner or General Manager. There is absolutely nothing wrong with asking.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 05:31 AM   #10
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
You need to have that talk with the AD. Shouldn’t just get you on the list, should get you one.
Old 23 September 2020, 05:31 AM   #11
time_and_cars
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakemiller69 View Post
My estimate is, if you want a pepsi be prepared to buy a few watches and get closer to $100k USD to get moved up that list. But that is just my estimate
In that case go grey and you will be able to save at least 70k
Rolex Daytona 126500LN/Rolex 126710BLRO/Rolex 126720VTNR/Rolex 126710BLNR/Rolex Oyster 126000/Breitling B01 CHRONOGRAPH 43 CURTISS WARHAWK/Omega“SILVER SNOOPY AWARD” 50TH ANNIVERSARY/Some Swatch x omega x blancpain
time_and_cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 05:32 AM   #12
LeftHookLacey
"TRF" Member

Do you really need the jewelery? If not, why not just ue the 20K to buy the watch from a grey?

I do need to buy a diamond anniversary ring for my wife ad asked a couple ADs I'ld like to do a one stop shop if they could get my watch by December. They both told me thats nice to hear but would not help obtaina watch.
LeftHookLacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 05:33 AM   #13
TankTom
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by szabo_martin View Post
Pepsi is a huge waitlist even for established clients. If that's the watch you REALLY want, then just go on the list. Otherwise just try for something more attainable. I don't think buying 10-20k of random Jewelry will do much, but if you want to buy something anyway then might as well get it all from the same place and build status. As mentioned above don't say you want.. and then list 4 of the hottest models... makes you look like a flipper
Maybe because he probably is a flipper?
TankTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 05:35 AM   #14
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Don't you think that this is something that you should be discussing with your Dealer?
Agree. It’s all relative. Ask nicely and you will find out. Bear in mind that 20k in jewelry that you may not want plus 10k on a desirable sport piece, the sum isn’t too far off from PM territory.
Pw92676 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 05:36 AM   #15
samj999
"TRF" Member

If the AD pushed me to buy 10-20 k of random jewelry to get on the list I would walk out and get the watch from the grey market the day after for roughly the same value.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
samj999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 05:38 AM   #16
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by McinRolex View Post
Tell them what you model want exactly, not just any SS model as they may flag you as a flipper who just want a hot piece.

Good advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 05:41 AM   #17
jonathon555
"TRF" Member

Is this for real ? 20k spend to just get on a list !
jonathon555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 05:45 AM   #18
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdizzle92 View Post
One of my local ADs sells jewelry. if i purchase some jewelry lets say around 10-20k in value do you think this would be sufficient for the AD to offer me a steel sport rolex? would i just be eligible for the less desirable pieces that sell only at a small premium above retail on the grey market like explorer 1,2 or do you think they can offer me like a batgirl or pepsi?

Skip that jeweler altogether and find a good AD that would never ask or even mention bundling in front of you.

Old 23 September 2020, 06:14 AM   #19
G.D.BeanCounter
Banned

Watch: Sky DayDate 2
The markup on jewelry is so steep. To buy 20K in jewelry, the hit you'll take will be pretty close to paying the Pepsi premium on the secondary market.
G.D.BeanCounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 06:20 AM   #20
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I hate to even to even think about it. That would be the only reason I'd consider buying a new Rolex from a grey dealer.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 06:20 AM   #21
bblewis
"TRF" Member

I've recently had this conversation a few times, while looking for a GMT. I found the ADs were pretty consistent, it's not about the amount spent but cultivating a long-term relationship where parties know there will be other pieces. If you have no history, spending $10k is a great start and certainly would push you up the list for those GMT pieces. But, that's going to be your SS piece and will need to wait for any additional SS purchases.

And if you only want to get on the waitlist, the chances are slim (for CHNR and BLNR) and none (BLRO).

I would advise asking about other watch brands (and be sincere) for the future, as well as other jewelry pieces. If you're genuine, then starting a relationship will be worth it for the SA.

Also agree with others. If all you want is the BLRO, it doesn't make a ton of sense to spend $20 to buy it at retail, though.
bblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 06:23 AM   #22
thesharpe
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060, 126711
Quote:
Just buy on the grey market. Why spend 20K on jewellery and then get the Rolex SS at RRP when you could just go grey and get it cheaper than the above scenario.

Better option is to not do either of those. If you can’t get it at retail then just go for a brand that you can or get a PM piece.
thesharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 06:35 AM   #23
drcab
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The only thing that helps in Vancouver is if you are Asian.. I have seen Asians helped immediately while as a white guy they ignore you.. I have six Rolex all from Alberta
drcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 06:38 AM   #24
drcab
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Zigen View Post
If you are referring to Montecristo, good luck. Palladio and Luggaro - have a slight chance to get you on the ever elusive "waiting list"
All three are scum bags See my previous post
drcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 06:45 AM   #25
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Confirm with your AD first! Don't assume by spending $20K will get you anything.
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 06:56 AM   #26
Ascensio
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060 - SubC
For jewelry bundle at the AD I think you're talking about, they claim they will put you on the list.

I wouldn't go for it unless they deliver a watch and the jewelry at the same time.
Ascensio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 07:08 AM   #27
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
This
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 07:11 AM   #28
frtorres87
"TRF" Member

If you are willing to spend 10-20k on jewelry for a chance to be on a list, just spend that on the gray market and get the watch you want.

frtorres87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 07:53 AM   #29
rdizzle92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHookLacey View Post
Do you really need the jewelery? If not, why not just ue the 20K to buy the watch from a grey?

I do need to buy a diamond anniversary ring for my wife ad asked a couple ADs I'ld like to do a one stop shop if they could get my watch by December. They both told me thats nice to hear but would not help obtaina watch.
yes, I need to buy an engagement ring for my gf and thought of acquiring a rolex at the same time
rdizzle92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 08:18 AM   #30
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
Quote:
I know that at any AD, history does seem to be a universal requirement to get offered special pieces like steel sports. If this AD is also a jeweler, then they have probably thousands of clients who spent10-20K just for a wedding set.