The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 19 August 2023, 08:43 PM   #1
gordon86
"TRF" Member

5270P salmon

I am looking to finally purchase my grail watch the 5270P salmon sometime late this year or early next year. I am super stoked about the platinum case, PCC complication and the beautiful salmon dial with black numerals. I do have 1 concern and was hoping to get some feedback from anyone who has handled or owned the watch before

1) how does it wear? I have a 6.8 inch wrist. Does the 41mm diameter, 49.8mm lug to lug and 21mm lug width wear too large or is it just right?
2) any other things that you enjoyed or disliked about the watch?

Thanks!
gordon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2023, 09:52 PM   #2
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

My wrist is also small, around 6.3 inches. The watch wears well. And in my honest opinion, doesn’t matter how big or small it appears on one’s wrist, it is a true grail. All the best:)
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2023, 10:18 PM   #3
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
If there is such a thing for me as a grail this would be it.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2023, 02:20 PM   #4
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
5270P salmon

It will wear big on you. If I was sub 7”, I’d look for a 5970 or 3970.

I have a 5270 and 5370 with a 7.2” wrist.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2023, 03:37 PM   #5
DonLee
"TRF" Member

ask your AD if it's possible to try on a green 5270p. then you'd know. I think it'll be fine on your wrist. It's now in between a sports watch and a dress watch.
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 01:55 PM   #6
7sins
"TRF" Member

My wrist is slightly smaller than yours and I thought it fit my wrist perfectly, no complaints, one of my favorite watches I have owned. You can see it here next to my old Platona. Will get another 5270, likely blue no chin this time.

Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 12:40 AM   #7
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
I have a 6.5” wrist and it wears too big on me in my view, sadly. Many would disagree as I tend not to like a watch to dominate the wrist (aside from watches that are designed to wear large such as an AP Offshore), whereas some feel it absolutely should, it’s all about personal style and taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 01:28 AM   #8
mrmoto88
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
5270P salmon

This watch photographs so beautifully and dazzles in the sun. At first, the heft took getting used to and the perfect fit necessitated an interim hole in between two.

P is wearing well after two years of regular use and I changed the strap to a tan one for summer.

It’s my grail/talisman watch, so do go for it!

mrmoto88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 03:34 AM   #9
vandyologist
2024 Pledge Member

My wrist is around 6.5” and I think it wears nicely. I have a couple of other 41mm Patek (5172, 5326) and 5270 probably wears the biggest but it’s not a problem.
vandyologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 10:04 AM   #10
gordon86
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for the inputs! Will try find somewhere that I can try it on but am 99% sure i will pull the trigger
gordon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 10:20 AM   #11
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I don’t think you can go wrong with that one it’s a real endgame piece.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 02:51 AM   #12
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Some beautiful pics in this thread. A Patek platinum PCC is truly a thing of wonder.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 03:32 AM   #13
BMAN8
"TRF" Member

5270P salmon

Beautiful reference and dial colour but my 6.75" (17cm) wrist would keep me from investing in this piece as I fear my wrist cannot accommodate its substantial size.
BMAN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 05:48 AM   #14
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
I have a 6.5” wrist and it wears too big on me in my view, sadly. Many would disagree as I tend not to like a watch to dominate the wrist (aside from watches that are designed to wear large such as an AP Offshore), whereas some feel it absolutely should, it’s all about personal style and taste.

I also have a 6.5-inch wrist and the watch wears too big on me. I think the lugs also contribute to the watch wearing large.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 05:49 AM   #15
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
I also have a 6.5-inch wrist and the watch wears too big on me. I think the lugs also contribute to the watch wearing large.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 07:13 AM   #16
rjd1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Can't pick just 1
I considered this piece for a long time before getting it this year. I have 7 5/8” wrists so size is not an issue for me. The one “downside” is exactly what kept me hemming and hawing about it - manual wind, perpetual. I have about 40 watches in my collection (this probably in my top five if I had to pick) and I wear most of them. So when this sits for a bit, I need to reset it - but I’ve come to appreciate the process of doing so. Beyond that, this is an absolute stunning watch and I couldn’t be happier with it or recommend it highly enough. I’ve tried a couple of other straps on it which I prefer to the factory one as well. Good luck.
rjd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 07:39 PM   #17
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd1 View Post
I considered this piece for a long time before getting it this year. I have 7 5/8” wrists so size is not an issue for me. The one “downside” is exactly what kept me hemming and hawing about it - manual wind, perpetual. I have about 40 watches in my collection (this probably in my top five if I had to pick) and I wear most of them. So when this sits for a bit, I need to reset it - but I’ve come to appreciate the process of doing so. Beyond that, this is an absolute stunning watch and I couldn’t be happier with it or recommend it highly enough. I’ve tried a couple of other straps on it which I prefer to the factory one as well. Good luck.

The manual-wind is certainly a factor with this watch. I can’t see the value in a Perpetual Calendar if you have to constantly reset it. If you can enjoy the process then that’s great, as it really is a spectacular piece, but I think resetting it would get up my nose, especially given that I five setting the date in a normal date watch annoying!

Maybe I’m just making excuses because my wrist and bank balance are both too puny to have one!

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 08:50 PM   #18
Partekular
"TRF" Member

I thought the same about the manual winding resetting issue as I like to switch around the watches I wear. But there is no doubt that 5270P is stunning and perfect if one wears it all the time.
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 10:16 PM   #19
Ubiquitous1984
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partekular View Post
I thought the same about the manual winding resetting issue as I like to switch around the watches I wear. But there is no doubt that 5270P is stunning and perfect if one wears it all the time.
Is it time consuming to reset the watch? I own a GC and it only takes me a minute or two to synch everything up when I haven't worn it and left it off the winder. Does a PCC take longer than this?
Ubiquitous1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 11:03 PM   #20
jds1017
"TRF" Member

Always speechless when it’s on my wrist… what a beauty
jds1017 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 11:56 PM   #21
Partekular
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubiquitous1984 View Post
Is it time consuming to reset the watch? I own a GC and it only takes me a minute or two to synch everything up when I haven't worn it and left it off the winder. Does a PCC take longer than this?
My 5320 spends its rest time on its PP drum winder so never needs resetting when I am wearing eg. its twin, the 5172 chrono - two halves of the 5270P.

My other PC also lives on a winder so also straight on to the wrist with no hassle with the moon setting etc whenever I decide to wear it.
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2023, 05:47 AM   #22
broca00
"TRF" Member

This timepiece definitely is in the "grail" category for many watch enthusiasts and collectors.

Patek Phillipe brand. Perpetual Calendar Chronograph movement and first in-house for that matter. Platinum. 41mm size (although others may have issues with this). And last but not least, the salmon or golden opaline dial. Collectively, these factors make this 5270P so desirable.
broca00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2023, 07:51 AM   #23
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubiquitous1984 View Post

If you’re only behind a few days, you can just wind forward with the crown. If you’re way behind, it only takes a couple minutes to set.

The longest part is looking up the moonphase, and getting it centered on the last full moon, then counting forward days. The setting functions are easy and intuitive.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2023, 08:37 AM   #24
rjd1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Can't pick just 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobernet View Post
If you’re only behind a few days, you can just wind forward with the crown. If you’re way behind, it only takes a couple minutes to set.

The longest part is looking up the moonphase, and getting it centered on the last full moon, then counting forward days. The setting functions are easy and intuitive.
That is exactly my experience. If only a few days, I just wind through it - last time it was 45+ days since I’d worn it so I reset it - no big deal really.
rjd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2023, 10:37 AM   #25
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds1017 View Post
Always speechless when it’s on my wrist… what a beauty

It is really pretty, love that strap on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2023, 10:47 AM   #26
westcoastsub
"TRF" Member

I think the watch will be prefect on your wrist! A few observations and comment here....I like the fact the piece is 41mm because it is really hard to put all that information on a 38mm dial. A lot of the smaller pieces seems very compressed and need more dial real estate. The larger size is a plus for my older eyes and to not make the dial feel cramped. Also this watch is so spectacular I would give it a pass on a smaller wrist as it just really a true grail. If the watch is "at the limit" it is fine in this case. The lugs seem shorter so that should help as well. Do you have a picture of your wrist with the piece?
westcoastsub is offline   Reply With Quote