The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 11 September 2023, 10:19 AM   #1
ialienam
"TRF" Member

Would a neo vintage Patek hands aged to metallic sheen?

Hi everyone, need a bit of advice here. I have found a neo-vintage Patek, late 90s. Dial and everything looks alright, except the second hand has aged to metallic sheen/rusty (originally it should be blue). Is it a concern? Water damaged? but hour and second hands look ok.

If send back to Patek for service, would they replace it and return the original second hand?
ialienam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2023, 10:28 AM   #2
vitalsigns
"TRF" Member

Blue hands due age, often to a kind of purple iridescent. Rust indicates water damage or some moisture as well as imperfect blueing. But perhaps that progression is inevitable given enough time.

Patek would surely replace the seconds hand (and charge you for it) unless you request otherwise. The hands replacement would be part of Patek's quote before service.

I don't believe Patek's practice is to return replaced parts, which is consistent with most of the Swiss watch industry.
vitalsigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2023, 10:41 AM   #3
ialienam
"TRF" Member

Thanks! Just wondering it I do send it back and have it replaced, would it devalue the watch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalsigns View Post
Blue hands due age, often to a kind of purple iridescent. Rust indicates water damage or some moisture as well as imperfect blueing. But perhaps that progression is inevitable given enough time.

Patek would surely replace the seconds hand (and charge you for it) unless you request otherwise. The hands replacement would be part of Patek's quote before service.

I don't believe Patek's practice is to return replaced parts, which is consistent with most of the Swiss watch industry.
ialienam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2023, 11:32 PM   #4
vitalsigns
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialienam View Post
Thanks! Just wondering it I do send it back and have it replaced, would it devalue the watch?
I'm not sure. My guess is that a new, correct Patek seconds hand is better than a damaged seconds hand except for the most rare and sought-after Patek watches. This would also depend on the extent of the damage. If it's truly minor, I'd be tempted to leave it alone, but presumably it is not de minimis, hence your question.
vitalsigns is offline   Reply With Quote