The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 6 July 2019, 01:35 AM   #31
Aquaman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
5524 is a good value right now. I think most modern Pateks on straps aren't doing too well which is pretty sad to see.
Unfortunately that's the reality atm,

Everyone wants sports models, they all have FOMO

I applaud the minority
Aquaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2019, 01:35 AM   #32
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
It is still just a hobby, bubble or not, I don't really fair value my watch collection at month-end. Not rich by any measures, just want to separate a hobby and other aspects to make it less stressful, with a focus to enjoy watches. That's all.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2019, 01:42 AM   #33
s.m.b.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
Maybe it’s just me... a hazard of my profession. I hate losing money. If I lose money I am having a bad day. This is a daily issue for me. I’m not saying I need the watch to go up in value but I refuse to spend 100k on a watch that a I expect to worth 80 k or worst 50k.
Even when you have other watches that balance the scale?
Old 6 July 2019, 01:47 AM   #34
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Maybe it’s just me... a hazard of my profession. I hate losing money. If I lose money I am having a bad day. This is a daily issue for me. I’m not saying I need the watch to go up in value but I refuse to spend 100k on a watch that a I expect to worth 80 k or worst 50k.
I assume the RM ownership if it happens will be quick in and quick out given the above criteria.
Russell996 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2019, 01:47 AM   #35
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
in this bubble do you realise how much your collection is worth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Chrono24 figures are junk outside of the obvious fast selling Nautilus, Aquanaut, Daytona, RO etc etc. Tells me my some of my pieces are 200% but I know i’m looking at 30% loss. The rarer the piece the worse the estimate.

Yes. It’s not an accurate selling price, but estimates. I think it based the % off the middle ground. Not something I’ve really obsessed over.

Edit ** my collection seems to consist of all the fast selling stuff you listed at the moment **
CamSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2019, 01:48 AM   #36
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
I input my collection and acquisition basis in Chrono24. It gives you an estimated strike price (I usually back out 10%-15% to arrive at market value) as well as your gain or loss.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2019, 01:50 AM   #37
Pateks
Banned

Quote:
Nobody willingly likes to lose money. But just buy smart and buy right. If you know a piece si going to drop 20k then buy it secondhand at the cheaper price.

I’m with you- I’m not in the business of losing money either but profiting off my watches is also not my business. I’ve refined my criteria to very specific parameters that I buy and at some point if it is not going to be a money maker, so be it.
Pateks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2019, 01:51 AM   #38
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamSLC View Post
Yes. It’s not an accurate selling price, but estimates. I think it based the % off the middle ground. Not something I’ve really obsessed over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I believe it is based solely on asking prices - meaningless for lots of pieces.
Old 6 July 2019, 01:52 AM   #39
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.m.b. View Post
Even when you have other watches that balance the scale?
I do think about it as a portfolio. But I sell losers...just a matter of when I can access liquidity. I don’t believe in holding onto losers. Mentally I see it as unproductive capital. And since Capital is not unlimited I have to use that capital optimally.

Optimal for me means, best/most enjoyable watch portfolio i can have with the least amount of value loss and least amount of equity capital. Cause if I’m losing money on it I enjoy it less.
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2019, 01:52 AM   #40
timepieceluvr
"TRF" Member

Id have way less fun with watches if the money dictated things. I often wonder how many people would play if you lost as much on watches as cars.

Not a masochist though, makes it a lot easier to keep the wife on board when she sees there is some retention/appreciation happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
timepieceluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2019, 01:53 AM   #41
Pateks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
5524 is a good value right now. I think most modern Pateks on straps aren't doing too well which is pretty sad to see.
When this watch first came out- everyone hated it but it did so well. I absolutely love mine and don’t care about the value cause it’s a piece I will keep. I’m partial to larger watches- 42mm and this just sits so well on my wrist. And very functional. The dual time zone works well with the day night indicator. It’s obviously my go to piece when I travel.
Pateks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2019, 01:53 AM   #42
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pateks View Post
Nobody willingly likes to lose money. But just buy smart and buy right. If you know a piece si going to drop 20k then buy it secondhand at the cheaper price.

I’m with you- I’m not in the business of losing money either but profiting off my watches is also not my business. I’ve refined my criteria to very specific parameters that I buy and at some point if it is not going to be a money maker, so be it.
I don’t look to make money on the watches... I will take a hit on the 5320G when I finally buy it lol. Also the 5930G.
Old 6 July 2019, 01:56 AM   #43
Sam Philip
Banned

Quote:
U know what’s i lost money on? The 5524G
I got a 5524G too, I like it as it is a completely different watch compared to other Pateks.
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2019, 02:00 AM   #44
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I believe it is based solely on asking prices - meaningless for lots of pieces.

Old 6 July 2019, 02:01 AM   #45
tubojunk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The reality is that unless you are buying the elusive 10% of watches you should expect to lose money the minute you walk out the AD if you are buying near retail.

But if you are looking at value, look at the datographs. It is hard to argue there are many better values out there. Buying new around 55k and used around 40k for an 80k watch? You probably are buying near the floor of this watch so pretty protected value wise. In terms of appreciation I personally think it’s “safer” to expect a datograph to get closer to retail than nautilus to exceed retail. I think even a few years ago people would totally consider trading a nautilus for a datograph, now that you can trade a nautilus for 2 datographs and most would say they wouldn’t is absurd to me.
Rolex 126610LN
tubojunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2019, 02:05 AM   #46
Sam Philip
Banned

Quote:
I’m up on my watches but that’s largely because all the nautilus keep going up
Wait until you get a 5740G, according to a grey dealer (who wanted to buy my 5740G) price of 5740G plummets every day and recommended me selling the watch before it goes below MSRP
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2019, 02:07 AM   #47
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubojunk View Post
The reality is that unless you are buying the elusive 10% of watches you should expect to lose money the minute you walk out the AD if you are buying near retail.

But if you are looking at value, look at the datographs. It is hard to argue there are many better values out there. Buying new around 55k and used around 40k for an 80k watch? You probably are buying near the floor of this watch so pretty protected value wise. In terms of appreciation I personally think it’s “safer” to expect a datograph to get closer to retail than nautilus to exceed retail. I think even a few years ago people would totally consider trading a nautilus for a datograph, now that you can trade a nautilus for 2 datographs and most would say they wouldn’t is absurd to me.
There’s only 1 caveat to the watch collecting for me. The missus says I cannot buy preowned. That is the deal breaker.

Otherwise I would have had a 1680, a 5 digit pepsi as well as a datograph and a 5170g.

The only watch I’ve bought preowned was the alpinist because all the flippers bought it...and I paid a premium. Arggghhh
Old 6 July 2019, 02:08 AM   #48
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Philip View Post
Wait until you get a 5740G, according to a grey dealer (who wanted to buy my 5740G) price of 5740G plummets every day and recommended me selling the watch before it goes below MSRP
My buddy Dane who was banished from TRF.... tells me ‘no perpetual goes up’. And I think he is right.
Old 6 July 2019, 02:20 AM   #49
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
I assume the RM ownership if it happens will be quick in and quick out given the above criteria.
Possibly...which is probably the reason I haven’t taken the plunge yet. Now if the shop can guarantee me a 15407st then I would likely do the deed :)
Old 6 July 2019, 03:25 AM   #50
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:

Are u a lawyer?:-D
J/K

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2019, 03:37 AM   #51
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
That seemed to be a crowd favorite last year and now they seem to be listed under $40k and not selling very fast. Funny how stuff goes in and out of favor.

Of course in the current market, one Nautilus AD purchase can offset a lot of losses on grand complications or annual calendars.
Actually the whole complicated strap watch market is very soft right now with many models trading at 50 percent of retail. The demand is for SS sports.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2019, 03:44 AM   #52
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamSLC View Post

But they don’t actually do that, or at least the figures where they are able to do so are so low that is is meaningless for a lot of brands (leave aside the obvious). I just looked at my collection and their current figures are a joke. Overestimated values by 100% on 6 pieces.
Old 6 July 2019, 04:28 AM   #53
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passionata View Post
Are u a lawyer?:-D
J/K
Lol... I wasn’t smart enough. Sadly. Just hustle these days...
Old 6 July 2019, 04:34 AM   #54
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:
Lol... I wasn’t smart enough. Sadly. Just hustle these days...
Ninja we need your formal job title and description.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2019, 04:42 AM   #55
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
Ninja we need your formal job title and description.
Lol I like the anonymity of the intranet. Lol
Old 6 July 2019, 04:56 AM   #56
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
But they don’t actually do that, or at least the figures where they are able to do so are so low that is is meaningless for a lot of brands (leave aside the obvious). I just looked at my collection and their current figures are a joke. Overestimated values by 100% on 6 pieces.

I’ll take your word for it. I’ve not sold anything on there. Only traded in to gray dealers, which definitely is below market par.

Old 6 July 2019, 05:22 AM   #57
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman View Post
Even if you add up retail, you would think WTF

And after your comment saying top off would put of robbers but not the ladies whilst buying. Kebab, you would be on stand by for the show, :
Well I've just gobbled down the kebab and sadly I'm no longer in any shape to go on Love Island!
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2019, 05:26 AM   #58
Aquaman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Well I've just gobbled down the kebab and sadly I'm no longer in any shape to go on Love Island!

U dissapoint me especially after u bigged up yourself , not even as a Curtis look alike

Also your not aloud to rock a watch

Aquaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2019, 05:30 AM   #59
AK797
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Philip View Post
I got a 5524G too, I like it as it is a completely different watch compared to other Pateks.
Just had a look at its brother the 5522 and seems to be stable at £40K, think it might have been higher initially but looks consistent now, don't think its been caught up in this year's escalation.
Old 6 July 2019, 05:34 AM   #60
AK797
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman View Post
U dissapoint me especially after u bigged up yourself , not even as a Curtis look alike

Also your not aloud to rock a watch

The current market values of our collections are about as fake as Curtis's feelings for Amy.