The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 5 April 2022, 03:20 PM   #1
Nm26
"TRF" Member

Aquanaut Allocation Waitlist

Does anybody know the current allocation situation with the SS aquanaut. Assuming I have no purchase history at Patek, is it even possibly to get on the list for this watch? Would I have better luck trying to get the 5167R or the 5164A compared to the base 5167A. I have read that there’s a better chance with PM compared to SS at Patek but have no experience! Thanks for the help and insight.
Nm26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2022, 03:46 PM   #2
DonLee
"TRF" Member

I’m sorry to say, none of those have any chance. Not only because there is a long list already, but that new more “important” clients will jump ahead of you as you wait for years.
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2022, 03:47 PM   #3
Nm26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLee View Post
I’m sorry to say, none of those have any chance. Not only because there is a long list already, but that new more “important” clients will jump ahead of you as you wait for years.
Thank you. For me it’s tough because it’s not about the cost of the watch but getting the one I really want.
Old 5 April 2022, 03:48 PM   #4
Rushne
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: White 116500LN
Sorry to say but PM hasn’t been easy/easier to get for a couple of years now. SS is a total no go unfortunately.
You could try and speak with an AD and perhaps they’re in the mood to welcome a new customer but pretty unlikely.

Omega: Seamaster Professional 300M 2220.80.00
Rolex: Daytona White Dial 116500LN
Rolex: Sky-Dweller Blue Dial Jubilee 336934
Rolex: DateJust 36 Roman White Dial Oyster 126234
Rolex: OP 36 Celebration Dial 126000
Panerai: PAM 422
Patek Philippe: Aquanaut 5167A
A. Lange & Söhne: 1815 Annual Calendar

@mechanicaltom Stolen: IWC Portuguese 500107 Case number 3853222
Rushne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2022, 03:54 PM   #5
Nm26
"TRF" Member

As a new customer to the brand what would be other options that are obtainable
Old 5 April 2022, 03:58 PM   #6
DK7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nm26 View Post
Does anybody know the current allocation situation with the SS aquanaut. Assuming I have no purchase history at Patek, is it even possibly to get on the list for this watch? Would I have better luck trying to get the 5167R or the 5164A compared to the base 5167A. I have read that there’s a better chance with PM compared to SS at Patek but have no experience! Thanks for the help and insight.
aquanaut generally hardly any chance at all to get on the waiting list now.

PM not sure really easier, - example 5164R (60k$ MSRP, market today +180k$) i think a lot of people will buy it instantly from AD. ;-)
DK7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2022, 04:28 PM   #7
qwerty123456
"TRF" Member

I had to bundle another Patek in order to get on the waitlist for the Aquanaut, and that was with prior purchases of Rolex and Patek watches.

AD promised me that it will arrive in 6-12 months. Fingers crossed.
qwerty123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2022, 04:35 PM   #8
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Dress watches which are not this year latest release will be a good entry point.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2022, 05:01 PM   #9
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
I was told all watches, including PCC and PC, are hard to get now. I can imagine Nautilus and Aquanaut are on another level in terms of demand.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2022, 09:23 PM   #10
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Anything other people don’t want is what you need to buy first…….
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2022, 11:01 PM   #11
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
A friend has a Nautilus and still can’t get an Aquanaut. Things aren’t always linear and the chance of getting either watch is like winning the lottery. Luckily, there are so many better Pateks (IMO) and high-end sports watches (eg. RO, if you can get one…) to own.

The aquanaut has become a cult classic, but it won’t light your world on fire either.
Old 5 April 2022, 11:03 PM   #12
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

If you just want to buy anything , I’d recommend going to your AD and buying something in the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2022, 12:37 AM   #13
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
If you just want to buy anything , I’d recommend going to your AD and buying something in the case.

Assume you can find something in the case. Last time I visited BH Patek store, only 2-3 ladies watches with diamonds are in the case. No Twenty-4 though.
Old 6 April 2022, 12:39 AM   #14
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
I was told all watches, including PCC and PC, are hard to get now. I can imagine Nautilus and Aquanaut are on another level in terms of demand.

I tried to refer a friend to my AD and it took months before he picked him up. The AD basically told me he has a lot more customers than watch allocations so he cannot pick up just anyone as new customer.

Crazy indeed
Old 6 April 2022, 12:45 AM   #15
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
Assume you can find something in the case. Last time I visited BH Patek store, only 2-3 ladies watches with diamonds are in the case. No Twenty-4 though.

That’s something !

JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2022, 01:53 AM   #16
qrc36
"TRF" Member

A reply I got from my AD (in Hong Kong) when we discussed this topic recently .... she says any new client who offers to buy up all of their cufflinks, earrings and pocket watches will definitely get their attention!

Regardless of which country your AD is in, I'm sure there will be unsold stock. If you go in and offer to buy whatever that cannot sell, you'll catch their attention.

It's just like going into Hermès and placing an order for a sofa (US$123,500) which will surely land you the Kelly or Birkin bag of your choice. Yes, they do sell sofas at that price!

https://www.hermes.com/us/en/product...r-H960058Mv03/
qrc36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2022, 01:58 AM   #17
PPcollector
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you. For me it’s tough because it’s not about the cost of the watch but getting the one I really want.
If “cost” is not an issue then maybe going on the secondary market to purchase for you may be the way to go. Or else, like what everyone said…”you can put your name down but chances are the watch won’t be available for a few years.”
PPcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2022, 03:09 AM   #18
Nm26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPcollector View Post
If “cost” is not an issue then maybe going on the secondary market to purchase for you may be the way to go. Or else, like what everyone said…”you can put your name down but chances are the watch won’t be available for a few years.”
Totally get what you are saying. It’s just a hard pill to swallow paying 5x retail for something!
Old 6 April 2022, 07:38 AM   #19
Ubiquitous1984
"TRF" Member

I bought a 5146r in 2020, then a 5712/a in 2021, and have just received my 5168G last month. So it is possible. Admittedly I had a Rolex history with the same AD which got me my ‘in’.
Ubiquitous1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2022, 07:52 AM   #20
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
If you are fresh off the street, I think it is almost impossible to get you on a list and at most a lip service to add you to a "wishlist" which really doesn't happen. As pessimistic as it sounds, it's really a waste of time and zero chance. More concerned for your actual time and sanity.

But hey, if you are dropping in to check out some Pateks, a few extra words as a part of conversation doesn't really hurt. Might hit the 0.000001% chance of getting one, but it's still a chance!
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2022, 08:15 PM   #21
Giangos
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG BLRO, Sub C, WG
Aquanaut Allocation Waitlist

I have an extensive Rolex purchase history at my AD, they also have Patek.

Last week I went in to discuss getting another Rolex or two. I told the SA that I want another full PM Daytona and a WG oysterflex. I already have a good collection of PM and SS on bracelet so I’d like an OF now. I mentioned that I would love an aquanaut. I don’t have any Pateks and the couple of times I brought up PP in the past I was politely shut down.

The SA I was dealing with this time happens to be the store owner. In a nutshell, she told me that I should be done with Rolex now and look to other brands like Patek. Well, I feel almost the same. By no means am I done with Rolex, but I definitely want to look further afield.

So fingers crossed for a 5968G or A. I expect the general feeling in here would be that my chances are next to none, but I think it will happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Giangos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2022, 09:39 PM   #22
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, Rolex, Sinn
The allocation is up to the store owner, so I think you’ve got a solid chance!

For more data points, here’s my experience. It took two purchases of Patek Calatravas, in the case, to be added to an Aquanaut wait list (projected wait, one year to 1.5 years). I just bought an Annual Calendar, and have been bumped up the Aquanaut waiting list, cutting my wait down to something like next in line/any moment.

Also, the dress watches I bought are my favorite Pateks, and they know this. I didn’t go in looking for sports watches and, to be honest, I can take or leave the Aquanaut. I’ll get it because I need something for the pool and beach and if I get an Aquanaut it’s 100% going in the hot tub. :)
SoylentGreenChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2022, 12:08 AM   #23
DonLee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoylentGreenChi View Post

For more data points, here’s my experience. It took two purchases of Patek Calatravas, in the case, to be added to an Aquanaut wait list (projected wait, one year to 1.5 years). I just bought an Annual Calendar, and have been bumped up the Aquanaut waiting list, cutting my wait down to something like next in line/any moment.

Also, the dress watches I bought are my favorite Pateks, and they know this. I didn’t go in looking for sports watches and, to be honest, I can take or leave the Aquanaut. I’ll get it because I need something for the pool and beach and if I get an Aquanaut it’s 100% going in the hot tub. :)
In general, they do hope you get watches that you like, and not forcing you to buy a bunch of stuff you don't want. That being said, there really isn't much in the Patek catalogue that's bad. If you go to Rolex/Tudor, there's a lot of obvious unpopular watches that are stale on the Tudor end that nobody wants.
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2022, 01:08 AM   #24
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giangos View Post
I have an extensive Rolex purchase history at my AD, they also have Patek.

Last week I went in to discuss getting another Rolex or two. I told the SA that I want another full PM Daytona and a WG oysterflex. I already have a good collection of PM and SS on bracelet so I’d like an OF now. I mentioned that I would love an aquanaut. I don’t have any Pateks and the couple of times I brought up PP in the past I was politely shut down.

The SA I was dealing with this time happens to be the store owner. In a nutshell, she told me that I should be done with Rolex now and look to other brands like Patek. Well, I feel almost the same. By no means am I done with Rolex, but I definitely want to look further afield.

So fingers crossed for a 5968G or A. I expect the general feeling in here would be that my chances are next to none, but I think it will happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A 5968A would be more difficult as Patek has shifted production to more G models. My AD told me that he gets one of the three 5968s per year. So at best, he may get one 5968a every three years. Originally I was asking for a 5968a but changed my mind after I found out about the wait time.

Not sure Patek will look into your past purchase history as I was told that for the hot pieces, they may want to see that you have previous Patek purchases since the sports models are meant to “award” good Patek customers. But your AD probably knows best. Or maybe she is suggesting that you should start to build up a Patek profile to lead to a Nautilus or Aquanaut?

Good luck with your hunt. That’s part of the fun.
Old 8 April 2022, 01:18 AM   #25
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:

It used to a non-application grand complication would get you a long way. But now, even the grand complications are on waitlist, so not sure if that works anymore. I was told that the 5236p is a two year wait and it is only for the good customers. It is really crazy time.

Totally agree that no one should go into Patek looking for a Nautilus and Aquanuat. My favorite Patek’s are the 5320 and 5172 and have been waiting for a 5196p replacement for a while. The Nautilus and Aquanaut are nice sports watches but no where near a fine dress piece from Patek. In fact, it is getting harder for me to pick a time to wear my Nautilus. When I want to dress up, I would pick up the 5320 and when I need something to bang around, I would pick up a Rolex.
Old 8 April 2022, 12:41 PM   #26
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
It used to a non-application grand complication would get you a long way. But now, even the grand complications are on waitlist, so not sure if that works anymore. I was told that the 5236p is a two year wait and it is only for the good customers. It is really crazy time.

Totally agree that no one should go into Patek looking for a Nautilus and Aquanuat. My favorite Patek’s are the 5320 and 5172 and have been waiting for a 5196p replacement for a while. The Nautilus and Aquanaut are nice sports watches but no where near a fine dress piece from Patek. In fact, it is getting harder for me to pick a time to wear my Nautilus. When I want to dress up, I would pick up the 5320 and when I need something to bang around, I would pick up a Rolex.
100% agree. I also love the 5320 and the 5172. My AD had a 5320 in the case for much of the last year (gone now) and I used to go in and stare at it. Probably my favorite perpetual calendar in recent years.
Old 11 August 2023, 02:56 AM   #27
Fishyfishy
"TRF" Member

Seriously I’ve got 3 nautilus including even 5740, but I still can’t anyone of those aquanaut !!! I’ve been asking 5968A/ 5968G green since they were launched !
Fishyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2023, 04:23 AM   #28
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Basically, everything outside of the Nautilus, Aquanaut and application pieces. There may be some wait as there isn't much stock but if you want a Perpetual Calendar, Chronograph or World Time, I am sure they would welcome your business. The new Calatrava's are hard to get because they are new, but I am sure they will add your name to the list.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2023, 09:52 AM   #29
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Since this thread is live again, I’ll add an update to my note above. I got the 5167a allocation in July 2023. So my experience was with two calatrava purchases and an annual calendar purchase, I got a 5167a allocation in about 1.5 years. I have subsequently asked for a 5712 or a 5811, but I honestly do not think either of those are attainable with my level of spend. Maybe my experience can help inform others on their own context. Cheers.
Old 11 August 2023, 12:53 PM   #30
set
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Since this thread is live again, I’ll add an update to my note above. I got the 5167a allocation in July 2023. So my experience was with two calatrava purchases and an annual calendar purchase, I got a 5167a allocation in about 1.5 years. I have subsequently asked for a 5712 or a 5811, but I honestly do not think either of those are attainable with my level of spend. Maybe my experience can help inform others on their own context. Cheers.
Congrats on the 5167a. I was told recently by an AD that “Patek doesn’t want to see a sports model as your first Patek purchase”. Clearly a subtle (sort of?) way of telling me that I need to buy a dress model, complication, etc. in order to get on the list for a sports model. I don’t really have an interest in buying watches that I don’t really want in order to get one that I do want, and I’m not excited to pay 2x -3x retail for a sports model from a gray dealer, so at this point I think that a sports model for me is not attainable.
set is offline   Reply With Quote