The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 26 February 2023, 01:16 AM   #1
Grisha40299
"TRF" Member

Want to learn about 5170

Everyone, I’m trying to learn about 5170. Has this reference been on production about 13 years? Are black dials more valuable because of shorter window of production? Does anyone know how long each variation has been in production? Can this be worn as a “casual everyday” piece like a Daytona if on a different strap?

Thanks
Grisha40299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2023, 01:54 AM   #2
thetinkercompanies
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,Hublot,Panerai
5170 was first introduced in 2010. The watch has gone through several iterations over the years, including a recent update in 2019 that features a new dial color and an updated movement.
thetinkercompanies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2023, 01:55 AM   #3
thetinkercompanies
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,Hublot,Panerai
By swapping out the leather strap for a more casual option, such as a NATO or rubber strap, the 5170 can take on a more versatile and relaxed look
thetinkercompanies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2023, 02:03 AM   #4
HMHM
"TRF" Member

I was told the 5170P had the shortest production run, approx 200-250 pieces max.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2023, 02:09 AM   #5
Grisha40299
"TRF" Member

Please post any wrist shots in different dial variations. How does it wear compared to Daytona?
Grisha40299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2023, 06:15 AM   #6
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

The 5170 started with the J, then several variants of the G and a few R variants and finally the P version with diamond hour markers. When the P version came out, the diamond markers were divisive and many people didnt like it. It could be purchased from an AD at a decent discount.

Then watch market started a crazy period with Nautilus and Aquanaut prices going through the roof and the 5170P prices somewhat followed suit along with PM Daytona prices. Granted the 5170P wasn't produced more than a couple years, collectors will probably value that watch over the J, G and R versions.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2023, 08:47 AM   #7
azizu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3700/11AJ

White gold with pulsation dial gets my vote for sure.
I don’t know about putting it on nato, however putting it on a calf lather or new leather that Patek Philippe introduced that looks like sailcloth but it is rubber with rubber lining will make it daily driver for sure.
It’s on a totally different universe than Daytona IMHO, you can just look at the disaply case back and finishing all day long

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 26 February 2023, 11:21 PM   #8
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
It’s no longer being produced as it’s been replaced by the 5172G. It’s an absolute classic execution of a dress chronograph and a relative value on the secondary market. I personally like the 5170R black dial and the 5170P but that comes at a significant premium.
Old 27 February 2023, 03:26 AM   #9
LJubel328
"TRF" Member

I have found the 5170 to be quite versatile depending on the strap. I love mine

LJubel328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2023, 08:05 AM   #10
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJubel328 View Post

Great look.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2023, 08:26 AM   #11
7sins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJubel328 View Post

Gorgeous
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2023, 11:44 AM   #12
draken1
"TRF" Member

Where did you get those straps from? What are they called? Is that cloth linen or soemthing?
draken1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2023, 02:16 AM   #13
LJubel328
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
Great look.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
Gorgeous
Thanks guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by draken1 View Post
Where did you get those straps from? What are they called? Is that cloth linen or soemthing?
The Geneva Salon was nice enough to give me a couple of straps while visiting in December. The one in the photo is the 5226 strap and I also have the beige calfskin 5935 strap. Both look quite nice on the 5170p imo
LJubel328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2023, 05:28 AM   #14
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
5170P is awesome. I nearly bought one twice while they were still for sale at ADs.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2023, 07:19 PM   #15
N1te Ryd3r
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobernet View Post
5170P is awesome. I nearly bought one twice while they were still for sale at ADs.
Do you recall what the retail price was prior to it being discontinued by chance?
N1te Ryd3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2023, 11:05 PM   #16
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I had the black lacquer dial model, and it is old school Patek. The watch is very hard to read in most low lighting at a glance as the hands blend into the black shiny dial. The key for me was to angle the watch, so the available light reflects off the hands. Many of the newer references have a more matte finished dial and lume on the hands. other than that, it is just your preference for black dials in dress watches.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2023, 11:06 PM   #17
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by azizu View Post

White gold with pulsation dial gets my vote for sure.
I don’t know about putting it on nato, however putting it on a calf lather or new leather that Patek Philippe introduced that looks like sailcloth but it is rubber with rubber lining will make it daily driver for sure.
It’s on a totally different universe than Daytona IMHO, you can just look at the disaply case back and finishing all day long

I agree. One of the best iterations in the line.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2023, 11:17 PM   #18
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by N1te Ryd3r View Post
Do you recall what the retail price was prior to it being discontinued by chance?
The 5170P is the only Patek I have ever tried on, and I tried it on twice. The second time was when we landed in Paris and we were trying to stay awake the first day to get on Paris time. It's a beautiful watch and reminds me of the baguette version of the platinum Daytona in that the diamonds are very subtle. I told my wife that this was the only watch I would ever consider swapping my Daytona for. She was surprised when I said that, but I never tried to make it happen anyway.

I believe MSRP on the 5170P was around $90k.
Old 5 September 2023, 12:11 AM   #19
N1te Ryd3r
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
The 5170P is the only Patek I have ever tried on, and I tried it on twice. The second time was when we landed in Paris and we were trying to stay awake the first day to get on Paris time. It's a beautiful watch and reminds me of the baguette version of the platinum Daytona in that the diamonds are very subtle. I told my wife that this was the only watch I would ever consider swapping my Daytona for. She was surprised when I said that, but I never tried to make it happen anyway.

Thank you for the info.

Funny you say that as I am currently thinking about selling a Platona (and a few other models) to fund new purchases, one of which would be a 5170P. And all decent candidates I've come across are price at >$110k which, with a little bit of haggling, may not be that unreasonable actually...

It's a stunning watch, this is for sure!
Old 5 September 2023, 12:25 AM   #20
N1te Ryd3r
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post

Thank you for the information
Old 5 September 2023, 05:52 AM   #21
jamestucker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
I was told the 5170P had the shortest production run, approx 200-250 pieces max.
5170P was produced for 2 years, the smallest AD in the UK received 2 pieces, with the large ADs receiving more pieces so way more than 200 - 250 pieces had been produced.
jamestucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2023, 07:13 AM   #22
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1te Ryd3r View Post
In mid 2018 it was EUR 87k including 19% German VAT.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2023, 07:19 AM   #23
N1te Ryd3r
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
In mid 2018 it was EUR 87k including 19% German VAT.
thanks!
Old 5 September 2023, 10:49 AM   #24
chimp98
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ Octa Lune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grisha40299 View Post
Everyone, I’m trying to learn about 5170. Has this reference been on production about 13 years? Are black dials more valuable because of shorter window of production? Does anyone know how long each variation has been in production? Can this be worn as a “casual everyday” piece like a Daytona if on a different strap?

Thanks
I wear mine with jeans/khakis to the office everyday and no one bats an eye. A strap change makes a huge difference.tapatalk_771472531.jpg
Old 5 September 2023, 11:11 AM   #25
broca00
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
I do think the 5170P has the potential to be highly coveted in the future:

- FIRST in-house manual winding chronograph movement. Anything first has a tendency to be more collective vs. not.
- PLATINUM. Most precious of all precious metals?
- DIAMOND baguette markers. Highly divisive at first but IMO this adds to the uniqueness of this timepiece.
- SHORT PRODUCTION. I don't know the numbers but two years is quite short.
broca00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2023, 11:18 AM   #26
APGuru
Banned

The 5170 initially launched with the J model, followed by multiple versions of the G and a handful of R variants, culminating in the P version featuring diamond hour markers. Upon its release, the diamond markers on the P model sparked mixed reactions, with a notable number disapproving. It was available from an Authorized Dealer at a reasonable discount.
APGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2023, 11:49 AM   #27
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APGuru View Post
The 5170 initially launched with the J model, followed by multiple versions of the G and a handful of R variants, culminating in the P version featuring diamond hour markers. Upon its release, the diamond markers on the P model sparked mixed reactions, with a notable number disapproving. It was available from an Authorized Dealer at a reasonable discount.
Hmmmmm. Patek references that wasn't accepted on release and then rocketed in popularity and value. Nope.... Never seen that before.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote