The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 21 August 2023, 09:13 PM   #31
Partekular
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doyle View Post
I would never buy grey no matter what.
I agree - unless at retail or below. Buying grey only encourages the flippers, hucksters, shysters and wheeler dealers around the edges of the grey markets.

The watch market is settling down now the quantitative easing aka money printing has set inflation on fire and interest rates are rising in an attempt to put it out. Best to wait it out rather than try and catch the proverbial falling knife.
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 09:31 PM   #32
DonLee
"TRF" Member

I have a great relationship with my AD. unfortunately my wallet can't say the same. Gotten 4 Pateks in the last 2 years, and I haven't even dared to look at any more watches now. I need more money first.
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 10:50 PM   #33
LJubel328
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLee View Post
I have a great relationship with my AD. unfortunately my wallet can't say the same. Gotten 4 Pateks in the last 2 years, and I haven't even dared to look at any more watches now. I need more money first.

It appears to me (from my interaction with other watch enthusiasts) a portion of PP customers are a bit exhausted with having to keep up with the “buy, buy, buy to build purchase history” that’s been pushed on so many of them the last few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LJubel328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 01:13 AM   #34
kopi-c
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobernet View Post
I don’t buy lottery tickets, raffle tickets, hopes, or wishes. If I want a house or a car or a watch, I find what’s available, and buy what I want.

I’ve saved money with grays, and I’ve had to pay market price with grays. I’m not waiting 3, 5, 7 or more years for the “chance” to buy a watch.
Nothing wrong with waiting X years for a watch. No way going to spend extra money over MSRP going grey market. It is just a watch and other brands make nice watches too.
kopi-c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 01:15 AM   #35
Coolcamden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partekular View Post
I agree - unless at retail or below. Buying grey only encourages the flippers, hucksters, shysters and wheeler dealers around the edges of the grey markets.

The watch market is settling down now the quantitative easing aka money printing has set inflation on fire and interest rates are rising in an attempt to put it out. Best to wait it out rather than try and catch the proverbial falling knife.
You responded to a post where the guy said “no matter what” by saying you agree. Then you put in some conditions. What?

Take an example. 5172, unquestionably one of the most beautiful Pateks, is selling for 20% or more off list in the grey. To me, anyone who likes that watch and doesn’t buy it on principle needs to re-evaluate.
Coolcamden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 01:20 AM   #36
Coolcamden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_NL View Post
White dial AC in Rotterdam the Netherlands on display (and for sale) for a month now. Retrograde PC, a lot of women's watches and a openworked full gold Patek

Mate of mine declined a 5905 blue dial and a Green dial
You replied to a thread that the guys said you replied wrong. OK, I was the one asking you to name the AD that you touted as having AC on the windows, and others gathering dust. You then posted this without being specific on the name of the AD. There are 4 in Rotterdam. Well, I called them, because tickets from the states to the Netherlands and all, and NONE OF THEM HAD ANYTHING.

Come on dude.
Old 22 August 2023, 03:48 AM   #37
Partekular
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolcamden View Post
You responded to a post where the guy said “no matter what” by saying you agree. Then you put in some conditions. What?

Take an example. 5172, unquestionably one of the most beautiful Pateks, is selling for 20% or more off list in the grey. To me, anyone who likes that watch and doesn’t buy it on principle needs to re-evaluate.
As it happens I bought the 5172 from my AD when it was first released. It is a spectacular watch and I hope you get a good one. As with a lot of precious metal PPs they do seem to lose value but watches are not investments are they?

I won’t buy from grey market myself and do not sell my watches but I do understand that others might be tempted, especially below retail. I am not laying down the law for others. I was more making the point that I would never even consider paying above retail.
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 06:30 AM   #38
Coolcamden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partekular View Post
As it happens I bought the 5172 from my AD when it was first released. It is a spectacular watch and I hope you get a good one. As with a lot of precious metal PPs they do seem to lose value but watches are not investments are they?

I won’t buy from grey market myself and do not sell my watches but I do understand that others might be tempted, especially below retail. I am not laying down the law for others. I was more making the point that I would never even consider paying above retail.
I love the 5172, only thing is it’s a manual drive so I don’t wear it as much. I got it because I got a great deal, like the blue better than salmon, and as I stated earlier in this thread, I have not time to wait. So I bought grey.

I understand what you’re saying, and truly appreciate that standard. I wouldn’t buy a AQ or NL paying mucho premium ever. Besides, to me, Pateks are not about that line anyways.
Old 22 August 2023, 09:19 AM   #39
Pdg
"TRF" Member

Yes, I gave up on AD’s post pandemic (although to be fair I used to mostly buy from a large retailer that isn’t the best with keeping relationships). Ever since the pandemic and the rise in popularity of watches, buying something from a major retailer or certain boutiques has been a pain. I also don’t have loyalty to one brand so the boutique model isn’t for me. The whole “play a game” and be told what you can and can’t buy, etc, isn’t for me. I love watches and I’ll find stuff I love regardless, so no need to play a game.

I have stuck more to independents and watches I like that are attainable. There are so many out there, and the small brands (50-100 watches a year) are incredibly responsive and make the overall experience fun/rewarding.

Some boutiques have been great at showing pieces, being nice, etc. But at the end of the day, they have to sell watches and the demand outstrips supply and they have tough choices to make. I do wish they would just not play the games though, some are much worse than others (at holding watches back etc).
Pdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 10:44 AM   #40
Chary
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15407ST
I think it depends on the piece. If it's a piece that it's pretty unattainable I'm not waiting 20 years on a fake list and at that point I just buy grey. That's my opinion.

Instagram: Chary1
Chary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 05:22 AM   #41
chimp98
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ Octa Lune
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doyle View Post
I would never buy grey no matter what.
Not to be argumentative on the subject but what would you do if you want to purchase a reference that's no longer in production and you can no longer get from your AD? For example, a 5170? Isn't second-hand market just another term for "grey"?
Old 23 August 2023, 05:40 AM   #42
shammad10
"TRF" Member

I am currently in the market for my one and done Patek. I'm not going to wait around and be forced into buying xyz from the boutique.
I'll buy what I want without the hassle and the heartache, and would probably save money vs playing the AD game for the next 5 years.
shammad10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 06:10 AM   #43
Apheaven
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
I am not aware that they even lost ALS. The last time I was there, I inquired about the Little Lange One moonphase but it was probably 2021.

I always have excellent experience with their service department but not with the sales team.

With ALS gone, I guess Rolex is the only major brand left? Wonder how the new Rolex boutique on Post would affect the Rolex dealership at Shreve then.

I think the writing is on the wall regarding Shreve keeping their Rolex account. The new Rolex boutique is approx. one block away…I would be surprised if they still retained it by next summer. Most long term employees have left as well.

Apheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 10:15 AM   #44
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Yes. Over it. Not worth the effort especially giving recent announcements for products.
rockdrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 03:51 PM   #45
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Every day!

GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 03:56 PM   #46
Breizh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopi-c View Post
Nothing wrong with waiting X years for a watch. No way going to spend extra money over MSRP going grey market. It is just a watch and other brands make nice watches too.
The premium I paid for every piece I bought from greys was smaller than the price increase reached had I waited from an AD.
So I actually saved money buying from greys (not to mention the extra years of enjoying my watch)
That includes: 5065, 5726, Sub and wife’s DJ.

Obviously, your mileage may vary depending on timing.
Breizh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 06:12 PM   #47
patlex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breizh View Post
The premium I paid for every piece I bought from greys was smaller than the price increase reached had I waited from an AD.
So I actually saved money buying from greys (not to mention the extra years of enjoying my watch)
That includes: 5065, 5726, Sub and wife’s DJ.

Obviously, your mileage may vary depending on timing.
Save for the hot popular sports models and other newly introduced models that command varying degree of premium most of the others are trending below their MSRP. I have had an opportunity to start my PP journey with a grey dealer, to which the watch that I desired was 30% off retail. Quite significant I must confess.

I aborted subsequently. First, I prefer the COO to be under my name and second but more importantly, the dealer tried to pull a fast one on me! Marketed the watch as "New" but came with a deep scratch which i picked up on close scrutiny!

Went with a AD and never looked back! Very fulfilling to date!
patlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 07:02 PM   #48
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimp98 View Post
Not to be argumentative on the subject but what would you do if you want to purchase a reference that's no longer in production and you can no longer get from your AD? For example, a 5170? Isn't second-hand market just another term for "grey"?
Personally speaking here, I would either purchase a new watch, a discontinued watch that drastically changed (for example the steel bezel daytona instead of the ceramic ones), or a vintage watch.

For instance if BLRO was discontinued today, I would not die over buying it. I would buy the next iteration if i like the colors, else I would pass on it altogether and get another watch. But that's just me.
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2023, 02:37 AM   #49
Tan
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5320G
With that same 150k you'd have a 5935A if you went grey! Don't play the games.
Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2023, 08:50 PM   #50
1st amg
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
150K?! Just go grey, makes no sense, the right Grey will treat you with a lot more respect for that money you spent.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote